Midnight Texas Series on NBC

Midnight, Texas, From True Blood's Charlaine Harris, Ordered at NBC

NBC is officially putting down stakes in Midnight, Texas.

The Peacock has handed a 13-episode order to the drama based on True Blood author Charlaine Harris’ three-book saga, TVLine has learned.

The series is described as a journey into a remote Texas town where no one is who they seem. From vampires and witches to psychics and hit men, Midnight is a mysterious safe haven for those who are different. As the town members fight off outside pressures from rowdy biker gangs, ever-suspicious cops and their own dangerous pasts, they band together and form a strong and unlikely family.

The first book in the series, Midnight Crossroad, was released in 2014. The follow-up, Day Shift, arrived in May. The third, Night Shift, is due in 2016.

The cast includes François Arnaud, Dylan Bruce, Parisa Fitz-Henley, Arielle Kebbel, Sarah Ramos, Peter Mensah, Yul Vazquez and Sean Bridgers.

Monica Owusu-Breen (Fringe, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) serves as writer and showrunner.

Scroll down for some additional images from the pilot.

Midnight Texas - Season Pilot

Midnight Texas - Season Pilot

1. Goldenvibefan says:

Awesome! I get to see Arielle Kebbel again, yay! Been too long since I’ve seen her (R.i.p Lexi :( )

2. Sarah says:

I’m newly obsessed with François Arnaud thanks to Blindspot so I’m in.

3. Dave says:

this will get cancelled by episode 3

4. ABG says:

Yeah, I loved True Blood during it’s first few years and that ended up horribly. (Both the books and the show).

5. BB says:

So I guess with this pick-up, the Cruel Intentions sequel series is a no-go?? NBC already has picked up quite the few drama pilots. I was really looking forward to seeing Sarah Michelle Gellar back at Kathryn.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

I’ve read that Cruel Intentions is still ‘a possibility’, but final word on whether the series will go into ‘redevelopment’ won’t come until after NBC Upfront on Monday. My hunch – ‘no go’, but keep fingers crossed, I guess.

6. sarah t says:

NBC is always about 5 years too late to the party. I think the vampire trend has run it’s course…

7. N says:

Can we put this on Fx or something? HBO at least. NBC sucks

• I don’t have a problem in general with this show being on NBC. It would probably be much better on cable or a streaming site, but I think it can work on NBC. The real problem is the ratings. It’s highly likely that it will get cancelled after one season because it won’t rate highly enough right out of the gate. At least on cable or streaming sites they gives a series a little time to grow an audience.

8. Jason says:

I reserve judgement. Any time a show like this winds up on network television it often gets watered down. The fact that NBC produced Hannibal gives me some hope though. If it can be as bold an unrestrained as that, they’ve got my interest.

9. AngelWasHere says:

I wish they had put this on HBO. I find it odd it’s not. Oh well. I’m definitely watching this. It looks awesome! :)

10. Beth says:

I like the cast :D Hopefully the writing delivers.

Also a bit OT but, TV Trailers are usually released on May 13th, hoping it would be the same this year but looks unlikely. Any info on when trailers will be released?

11. iakovos says:

Is this genre over and done by now? Are we still trying to find a companion for GRIMM? Good luck with that.

12. N8frogg78 says:

Why bother? They’ll just tell us it’s cancelled after 9 episodes.

13. Joe R says:

Francois Arnaud AND Dylan Bruce? Hubba hubba. What does this say of their futures on “Blindspot” and “Orphan Black”?

14. Sarah96 says:

Some people are just so pessimist in comments section’s this days..the shows are cancelled mostly because the ratting’s are awful and if viewers are not interested on the show or don’t try it because it’s on a certain network than its doom to fail before it’s even starts. Give it a chance, it might surprise some people or not..
    I for one can’t wait this looks great and I hope its a great show.

15. Ray says:

NBC had a pretty great vampire drama in Dracula back in 2013, but they screwed up the scheduling which in turn affected ratings and then didn’t even give it the opportunity to grow in season 2.

16. Cruciatus says:

A technicality: while it’s true the book is due out in 2016, it’s already been released. I’m currently reading it! Charlaine Harris tends to stick to early May for her book releases.

17. rinaex says:

I want try this, but I think Charlaine Harris is a terrible writer, and True Blood ended so, so badly. Maybe the tv writers can do better…?

18. Wtactualf says:

Ugh, I just can’t support anything based on that horrible woman’s writing. Too bad, I like the actors.