Michael Strahan Final Episode

Michael Strahan's Live Farewell: 'I Don't Like a Big To-Do'

Michael Strahan wanted his final installment of Live With Kelly and Michael to feel pretty much the same as all the other episodes from his four years at the hosting table.

“I don’t like a big to-do about it,” Strahan said to Kelly Ripa, early in the hour. “I think that we come out here every morning, we do our host chat, we make people laugh. We do what we’ve got to do. I think that’s what we need to do… have fun and get on with our show.”

And with the exception of a series of “Flashback Friday” videos — featuring quick and silly glimpses of Strahan and Ripa dancing and goofing off – the exiting co-host got his wish.

“It’s bittersweet. I’ve done this for four years. This is a moment I didn’t anticipate, being here, at least at this point,” Strahan said, referencing his accelerated exit date, after Ripa asked how he was feeling. “But, it’s here, and we’re gonna enjoy it. I’m not dyin’. I’m still in the family — and still available to come back if I’m ever called to co-host.”

“You can fill in for me,” added Ripa, leaving me to wonder if she was nixing the idea of ever again sitting next to Strahan (professionally speaking).

Mostly, though, the co-hosts maintained the same goofy chemistry that made their run so successful. “We want to remind the audience there is a run on discounted merchandise,” Ripa goofed, while holding up one of the show’s signature mugs.

Michael Strahan last dayToward the end of the hour, Ripa introduced a “This Is Your Life” highlight reel split into segments focusing on Strahan’s signature laugh, silly costumes, terrible accents, athletic prowess, and emotional highlights. When it ended, he kissed Ripa’s hand, and the duo partook of an extended hug.

For their final segment, Ripa presented Strahan with a bronzed pair of high-heel shoes he wore for a Halloween episode, then toasted him with champagne and said she looked forward to watching him every morning on Good Morning America.

Unfortunately for Strahan, the final seconds of his farewell speech were interrupted by a rendition of Bill Withers’ “Lovely Day” — yep, he got played-off, Oscars-style, on his own show! But for the record, here’s the transcript: “I just want to say it’s very bittersweet for me and I just want to say thank you to everybody. It’s amazing: you come here and you guys let me into your homes for the last four years everyday. I didn’t know what to expect coming from sports to daytime television and you guys opened up your hearts to me and opened up your homes to me and it has been so overwhelming the response that we’ve had over the last four years that you guys have loved this show. It means the world that you give us an hour of your day, and what you don’t realize is we get more from that hour than you really do. We sit in front of a live audience who I always say during our commercial breaks that they’re co-hosts of the show; the energy that they bring really makes this show work, and it is not about myself, it’s not about [Kelly], it’s about everybody here. We have an incredible staff here, from the producers to the staff to the crew, they make sure we’re always prepared to come out here and put on a great show for you guys and I gotta say we love you, we appreciate you… and Kelly, you are the best. I love you, baby. I love you.”

1. Kayla says:

She is so fake.

• greg says:

So if she sucks it up and plays nice on camera, shes fake. But if she acted any other way, you would say she was a diva and throwing a tantrum like a child. She really just cant win?

• Morisot says:

greg – I’m with you. She can’t blink without someone beating her up for it.

• Mary says:

Exactly, I just chalk up these remarks as a case of green eye envy. Good luck Micheal you might need it going to a show who is losing viewers. Good luck Kelly in finding another side kick who adds entertainment to the show.

• AngD says:

Exactly. I am so sick of people coming down on her. I have not seen the issues between the two since she came back that people want to see. They seem to have been fine. People want to vilify other people, can’t be nice at all.

• liame says:

If you’re a fan of the show and watch on a regular basis, you would understand and see what other people see. Everyone has apologized to her but she still continues to take little jabs. It’s time for her to grow up and stop acting like a jilted lover! She’s only making herself look bad. Michael is moving on because he obviously wasn’t happy. She’s reportedly making 20 mil a year to do a 1 hour 5 days a week sit down comedy skit and she didn’t even go to college! Come on now.

• S Hollingsworth says:

I agree: I’ve watched for a long time and when Kelly joined LIVE!, fifteen years ago, she was so humble, funny and down to earth. Kelly had been portraying Hailey for 11 years on All My Children but she was new to co hosting and interviewing celebrities. Q: wonder what her starting Salary was on LIVE!, fifteen years ago? Being paid $20,000,000 per year for an hour’s worth of ‘talk,’ now that could turn anyone into A Diva! Waaay overpaid.

• Anna says:

She did both, so which is real?? That’s exactly what the poster was saying and you just confirmed it!

• liame says:

You can’t see that she’s doing both at the same time? She’s not that good of an actress. I don’t like to make excuses or look the other way for people that I like and I like Kelly. Even I can see she’s being a turd. Everyone involved apologized to this 20 mil a year host of a 1 hour AM comedy talk show, but she continues to take jabs even after her 5 minute back from vacation monologue. She should let it go and welcome her next victim, I mean co-host.

• Kelly is FAKE as a 3 Dollar Bill says:

“I don’t like a big to-do” probably because he can’t get away from her soon enough. Probably immediately walked off the set at the end of the show, waved the double duces to Kelly and said “See ya! Not so much …”

2. sarah t says:

Sheesh, ABC sure is capitalizing on this “scandal” between Michael and Kelly in the efforts to boost ratings for both shows. Glad we hopefully won’t have to talk about “tensions on set” between these two anymore.

3. Foxytri says:

It was a nice send off. It felt genuine to me. End of a lovely 4 years for the well deserved Emmy winners. I will still watch Live as I love Kelly. I wish Michael best wishes at GMA.

4. Morisot says:

Michael Slezak, what I heard Kelly say in reply to Michael Strahan saying he would love to come back and “guest host” was “You can fill-in for me for me …when I’m on vacation in a couple of weeks ” Michael Strahan chuckled and said “That’s a little too soon.”

5. Greg Mills says:

Give me a break, these stars Egos need to be stroked. Crying one day ,complaining the next ,and laughing when showered with attention

6. Christian says:

I like Michael and I feel for him having to work in such an adolescent environment, but that was the most superficial dreck I have ever seen. It was awkward to watch. I don’t think it would be easy to work with such a narcissist like Kelly Ripa. Monday I will be finding another way of filling in an hour before heading for work. Live is Dead to me.

7. S Hollingsworth says:

Before everyone’s salary became public, I thought both co hosts were paid the same, not true: Kelly earns $20,000,000. while Michael reportedly only earned $4,000,000. Can anyone blame Michael Strahan for wanting to earn more money? Over the years, Kelly turned into a Diva, though – she is very self absorbed, self focused. She’s also waaay overpaid!

• Morisot says:

How much was Kelly making in her fourth year? How long did it take her to hit that 20 million mark? (And why is it that baseball, football, basketball players are paid so much for doing their job for a few hours a week?)