Supergirl Moves to CW Season 2

Fall TV Burning Qs: Will Supergirl Stay Sunny in New Home? Do Romeo & Juliet 'Fit' #TGIT Lineup? And More!

As we slow down to process the 28 (!) pieces of Fall TV news reported on Thursday, including 12 cancellations, two spinoffs and some happy renewals — and in advance of our weekly TV Questions column — TVLine asks:

1 | Supergirl‘s literally sunny, daytime sequences are one of the things that distinguish it from, say, moody, broody Arrow. With production moving from sun-baked Los Angeles to oft-overcast Vancouver, can Kara & Co. keep things bright in their new CW home? (Also, did Cat Grant foresee CBS freshman’s move with her meta commentary about The CW during the #SuperFlash crossover?)

2 | As posited by Kryptonsite’s Craig Byrne on Twitter: Now that The CW has greenlit No Tomorrow, and given that TNT’s Legends is no more, will DC’s Legends of Tomorrow streamline its name to DC’s Legends?

3 | How will The CW program 15 hour-long scripted series in a 10-hour week? Who gets shortened seasons, or held for summer?

4 | As much as ABC STILL STAR-CROSSEDmay need to fill a gap if Scandal doesn’t return until midseason, does Shondaland’s Romeo & Juliet sequel Still Star-Crossed fit the #TGIT brand? (How would period-dressed characters look in an otherwise-contemporary Thursday promo?) Or is the bigger question: Does the #TGIT lineup need to be all Shonda shows?

5 | Is ABC’s Kiefer Sutherland-led Designated Survivor a lock to claim cancelled Castle‘s time slot, or is it missing the romantic dramedy slant that partnered well with Dancing With the Stars?

6 | With the renewal of seven comedies plus pickups for Downward Dog, Imaginary Mary and Katy Mixon’s show, will ABC expand its Tuesday comedy block to two hours? If so, does S.H.I.E.L.D. get pushed to ABC’s problematic 10 o’clock slot?

7 | NowAgents of SHIELD Bobbi Lance Leave that Marvel’s Most Wantedisn’t… will Adrienne Palicki and Nick Blood return to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for Season 4?

8 | Will the remaining European dates on cancelled Nashville‘s real-life concert tour turn into giant fan sob-fests?

9 | Has The Muppets — which was originally developed for midseason but got fast-tracked for a fall launch — taught TV a lesson about rushing a product to shelves?

10 | While we are loathe to offer false hope in the form of “Save This Show With Streaming!” ideas, of the two, which is more likely to get “rescued”: The Grinder, which sure would fit nicely on Hulu alongside fellow Fox castoff The Mindy Project, or Agent Carter, who has several Marvel-ous pals over on Netflix?

11 | Will Chicago Justice beChicago Justice used to plug NBC’s Thursdays-at-10 hole, which (as much as we loved Parenthood) has not been successfully filled since ER?

12 | Will NBC/Dick Wolf give some thought to Chicago CSI, now that CBS’ 16-year CSI dynasty has come to an end?

13 | Did The Good Wife‘s Lucca get off easier than slap victim Alicia did, seeing as she and Diane are working together in the possible spinoff for CBS All Access?

14 | Will Castle‘s original cliffhanger ending to Season 8 ever see the light of day (maybe as a DVD extra?), now that the alternate, series-ending sequence is being swapped in for Monday? (Do we want to see it?)

What burning questions would you like answered in the wake of this week’s Fall TV news?

1. Bianca says:

14 No. I dont want to see it since it would probably kill Beckett

2. kirads09 says:

#7 – Certainly hoping so. They really could use all capable hands on deck

#10 – Hoping for Agent Carter on Netflix

3. peterwdawson says:

You do realize The Flash, another fairly bright show, is also filmed in Vancouver right? Of all the questions to ask about the Supergirl move that’s gotta be the dumbest.

• DavidJ says:

Flash still isn’t nearly as sunny as Supergirl though, and most of the big FX-filled action sequences seem to conveniently take place at night (which probably makes them a lot cheaper and easier to do).

• vanvon says:

Gee, kinda harsh, aren’t you?

• Billie says:

I think that’s more of a metaphor isn’t it? Yes, Vancouver can be overcast a lot. But the actual fear here is that in the hands of CW showrunners who seem to think stuff isn’t worth watching if it isn’t “gritty”, Supergirl will undergo a personality transplant and become unrecognizable. Personally, the upbeat nature of the show is a huge draw for me. I really don’t want to see Kara turn into Oliver Queen

• peterwdawson says:

Again, Flash. Not really gritty.

• sarah t says:

I agree, Flash isn’t gritty at all. I tried watching Supergirl several times and could never get into it. I don’t know if it was that I mentally knew it was on CBS and it didn’t seem to fit or what but I might actually give it another shot on The CW. I’m hoping though that since the CW is picking up Supergirl we won’t get a shortened season of iZombie…

• Lizzie says:

My biggest fear is that too. iZombie is so good. I think Supergirl might get the shortened season though. It might be Supergirl in the fall and Legends in the Spring. I do hope that Supergirl gets better the fun stuff about all the DC shows including iZombie is the tech, medical and scifi jargon then say to explain stuff. Supergirl just doesn’t do that and it makes for weird pacing in episodes.

• stacy030 says:

i don’t think they are changing sowrunners. And as other have mentioned, The Flash isn’t gritty and neither are a bunch of other shows on the CW. So, I don’t know why you get the impression that they whole network is a bunch of TV versions of Batman Vs Superman.

• Dj says:

I get the question. The sunny sequences in Supergirl who gets her powers from the sun also plays to the main character sunny disposition so it makes the perfect backdrop for the series. While Flash tone is brighter and it’s not as gritty as Arrow the day time scenes have a pretty similar look and feel to them do to the overcast weather.

• peterwdawson says:

Still plenty of sun. It’s a stupid question when there’s far more pressing ones to actually ask.

• Dj says:

There is a difference between plenty and way less. Which means there is and will be a visual difference. Most of the CW shows looked rain soaked in the daytime. Unless there is questions about cast returning which TVline sources would have been all over, when it comes to Supergirl I can’t think of another question.

• Tony says:

Talk about an overreaction. You need to chill out.

4. Gary says:

3 is it paossible that CW is going to go to 3 hours a night or Sunday nights

5. Travis says:

Could the CW add more broadcast time, say Sundays 7-10?

6. MissEllys says:

The CW will certainly be moving some of its shows to summer. Also, Crazy Ex, Izombie, and this new dramedy will almost certainly stick with 13-16 episode seasons. Reign will likely be moved to summer.

7. Sharon says:

ABC I strongly dislike you!!!! Canceling Castle was a huge mistake. I hope someone else Netflix picks it up.😭😝😭

• Sarah96 says:

It was not a mistake. It already had bad ratting’s compared to other shows and other seasons and with Beckett leaving the show most of the fans wouldn’t want to watch it anymore..they did a smart move because next season the ratting’s would have been awful.

• Boiler says:

So far I would say ABC has made the crappiest decisions, especially on dramas. The only thing still remotely interesting on Shonda night is Greys yet they still give her more. Is the new exec a relative or something?? Never thought I would want Paul Lee back. Maybe he would have kept Stana. Loved the Grinder and Grandfathered but those made sense.

• BM says:

I’m sorry, but did you live in a bubble these past three weeks? The show imploded after the news broke that they had dismissed Katic.

• c-mo says:

That’s hilarious! Netflix, Hulu, Amazon nor any other streaming service is going to fork over the kind of money it would take to revive an 8 year old show

8. Pete says:

4. I like all Shonda Thursdays but ready for a different kind of Shonda show and premise of Still Star Crossed is intriguing. and why not have the actors be dressed contemporary in promos with the other casts, we know they are acting.

9. Bwhit says:

7). I hope so… They never should have done that in the first place, they could have left for a few episodes to shoot the pilot and come back.
    8) I’m not worried about their tour, I’m baffled as to how they give any of their stories good resolution given how grey everything is right now.
    12) I love the Chicago franchise I really do but no, I don’t want anymore. I’m iffy about Justice…. Phillip Winchester is why I’m going to try it, I liked him a lot on PD this week.

10. Jennifer says:

#12 – Really? REALLY? Did you HAVE to go there and ***possibly*** put ideas into his head?

11. Luis says:

1. I’m more worried about what the change in budget will do to the cast of “Supergirl-” hard to see them staying with every cast member.
    7. I surely hope this means Bobbi and Hunter are coming in from the cold – it can’t be that hard!

12. Z says:

Romeo and Juliet with half the cast black. I don’t have a big issue with it as long as it is adressed that it’s a creative license or a reimagining of the story and it is not set in Verona during the Middle Ages but rather in a place that exist in Shonda’s imagination which by coincidence is also called Verona.

• TV Fan 305 says:

Z, are you for real? Does it matter if half the cast is black? Romeo and Juliet is fiction. Your comment is dripping of racial hangups…

• :-) says:

Can’t the cast just be what it is? If it can’t let me help you. 1. Rome conquered the known world. There are black and brown people in Italy. 2. There is African in some prominent ancient Italian families do a little research on the medicis.

It’s 2016. It’s OK for some of the people on TV to not be white. It’s OK for nonwhite people to be in dynamic roles. Maybe TV shouldn’t be your entertainment. Get a history book and learn true history versus the pop culture version we are all fed. Want to here the truth about the cherry tree, about the black guy that did the same thing as Paul Revere, the true story of bunker hill or the native American communication officers during WWII? There’s a whole world out there to explore. If you start with US history world history might not make your head explode. :)

13. Dj says:

3. I think Supergirl and LoT will be giving short seasons.
    6. I’ve always thought 10/9 was a better timeslot for AoS so I hope they do move it.
    7. Bobbi was one of the better characters and at times Hunter has been great. So I hope they can come back.

14. Jason says:

1) It’s certainly going to be a challenge for them but I think they can get a fair approximation. Flash manages a bit of sun. And somehow, Smallvilles was always able to pull off this feat. We’ll be seeing less desert scenarios though.
    7) If they don’t get them back on SHIELD next year someone needs a swift kick in the butt. I’m hoping that they have a long-term Marvel contract that allowed for this possibility. And since Most Wanted was basically their pilot season, I imagine they are just sitting around twiddling their thumbs and waiting to see what happens next.
    14) I suppose I’d like to see it out of morbid curiosity. Like those “What If” comics they used to do. I’m just over the moon that it won’t be canon.

15. Boiler says:

Can I ask a Burning Question for TVLine?? Will you actually ask meaningful fan questions at up fronts. Some of these decisions make no sense as compared to ratings

16. Mike says:

Here is my prediction for The CW next year considering they have to fit 15 hours of programming for just 10 hours

Monday
    8-9: The Flash
    9-10: Supergirl

Tuesday
    8-9: Riverdale (13-16)/ IZombie (13-16)
    9-10: Frequency

Wednesday
    8-9 Arrow
    9-10 Legends of Tomorrow (13-16)/ The 100 (13-16)

Thursday
    8-9: Supernatural
    9-10: No Tomorrow

Friday
    8-9: The Vampire Diaries (Possible Final season)
    9-10; The Originals (Possible Final Season)

Banished to summer: Reign, Jane the Virgin, Crazy Ex Girlfriend

• sarah t says:

What about iZombie? really hoping that doesn’t get moved to summer.

• chuckiechk says:

i don’t see CW changing any of their DC shows because of their current ratings, I think they will keep Supergirl on Mondays at 8, Flash on Tuesday at 8, Arrow on Wednesdays at 8, and Legends on Thursday at 8. I think the other returning shows/new shows will get the 9pm timeslots

• Daphne says:

Switch your Monday and Tuesday line-ups and you might be onto something. However, I don’t see them “banishing to summer” the 2 shows that have won them Golden Globes (JTV & CEG)… I do think Reign will be taking the vacant Beauty & the Beast summer slot though. The Vampire shows could totally move to the summer sched if you ask me.

17. tallsy says:

1. Larger issue for Supergirl is that I suspect the Flockhart reprieve may only be temporary.
    8. I’m surprised they didn’t give Nashville a “farewell” 9/13 episode season.
    10. I can’t imagine The Grinder is that expensive beyond Lowe’s salary.
    11. Chicago Justice (Winchester) is the theme of networks casting one person I like in a show with a terrible premise. Most of the pilots seem to be that this year.

18. Eran says:

What I would really, truly love is for people to stop proposing a Netflix pickup for just about every cancelled show from here to Papua New Guinea. Netflix is not the Oxfam of television networks! And while I am not entirely on board with some of its chiefs’ own series choices, I really think we are all doing this wonderful streaming service that has been a true game changer in the TV landscape, treating it as the natural sloppy seconds default for any cancelled network series.

19. Phun says:

1 – It might not be as sunny in Vancouver as LA is but I’m sure it won’t be that bad. As long as the original cast has signed on for the move and we’re getting a second season, it’s already sunny for me. ;)

20. c-mo says:

4. The world does not need another Shonda show.
    5. I’ve been trying to figure out which new ABC show would fit well in the former Castle slot and frankly, I don’t see any of them being a good fit. The only one that might be close is the new Shonda show but there’s no need to allow the Shonda-cancer to infect the other days.

• :-) says:

I thought the romeo Juliette thing would work well with dwts also. It doesn’t feel right with the Bachelor though

21. Erin Lowrie says:

7. I hope to see Bobbi and Hunter! They are two of my favorite characters from the show.

8. I am so bummed about Nashville! I am hoping they keep making music and tour again!

10. Agent Carter is perfect for Netflix with its 13 episodes and I really wish that Hulu would pick up Nashville for one final short season. Especially if it is supposed to end on a cliffhanger!

14. I love Castle and am sad to see it go. I probably would have watched a season 9, but it would not have been the same. It is a shame they felt they had to get rid of Beckett and Lanie. I am glad they filmed an extra ending. I would not have been happy had they killed her of! That said, I am already curious about the first ending! I kind of hope someone leaks the plot of it or it finds its way on the DVD.

22. 3) I suspect that The Vampire Diaries will be a shortened Finale Season. Some of their under-performing, but critically hailed shows like iZombie. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and Jane the Virgin will become Half-Season shows as well.

10) I will do anything short of murder to get more Agent Carter on my TV.

• Daphne says:

“I will do anything short of murder to get more Agent Carter on my TV.” You’re my kind of people Wayne Alan Blood! Haha

23. Candace says:

Considering the fact that Hayley Atwell already has another show that got picked up, I highly doubt Netflix would even consider trying to raise Agent Carter from the dead. I would absolutely love to see The Grinder on Hulu, though.

24. Tom says:

~
    Now, I love Agent Carter, but I’d be ok with it not being rescued. Agents of SHIELD is still around. The Grinder’s story can only be told if it’s rescued.

25. Wendy says:

Agent Carter to Netflix! Please TV overlords make this happen? Pretty please?

26. Jason says:

Q15: Does NBC now stand for “Nothing But Chicago?”

27. sasksleddog says:

#1 Vancouver may be “frequently overcast” but it’s no Seattle. Besides, Smallville never had any trouble shooting there.

#10 – Much as I’d like to see Agent Carter on Netflix (it’s a great show, and I love the mid_late ’40s period style) Hayley Atwell is already signed for a new series on ABC so unlikely. Besides the Netflix Marvel shows have a darker tone than Agent Carter.

28. Sheldon W says:

I’d love to see Agent Carter turn up on Netflix. Of all the shows that got axed over the last 36 hours, that’s the one that hurts the most.

29. Kris Schmidt says:

4) I don’t think Still Star Crossed would fit at all on the #TGIT block. Honestly, I think it could easily work at 9 PM on Sunday in between OUAT and Quantico. Just a thought…

30. Kris Schmidt says:

5) While I don’t think any of the newly ordered shows really fit after DWTS, Designated Survivor seems like the safest bet to me. Notorious could possibly work too as it (based on the teaser) has a romantic element…

31. Kris Schmidt says:

7) Nick and Bobbi better be brought back!!!! They were my favorite characters on the show!!

32. Kris Schmidt says:

6) I think Tuesday should definitely change to a 2 hour comedy block! If I picked next years Tuesday schedule, it would look something like this:
    8: Downward Dog
    8:30: FOTB
    9: Imaginary Mary
    9:30: Real O’ Neal’s
    10: AoS (fall/spring) & Notorious (mid season)
    I would put Downward Dog and Imaginary Mary together at 8 & 8:30, but it seems to risky to launch 2 new shows back to back at the beginning of the night…

33. Kris Schmidt says:

This is what I think the ABC fall schedule will look like next season:
    Sunday:
    10: HTGAWM
    Friday:
    8: Last Man Standing
    8:30: Dr. Ken
    9: Shark Tank
    10: 20/20
    I think Notorious could possibly be placed after DWTS If Designated Survivor isn’t placed there.
    Also, I could see them placing Speechless with FOTB and saving Imaginary Mary for mid season.

34. mac says:

15. How many episodes will “The Originals” recieve?

35. The real question is how much of Supergirl’s cast refuses to make the move to Vancouver?

36. And I don’t see CW with 15 hours for much longer They are already talking about next year being Vampire Diaries last season, Supernatural is really long in the tooth, Reign and the Originals don’t have much gas left in the tank and Crazy Ex Girl friend slipped by on sheer hope that it will perform better. If Riverdale or Frequency don’t have traction CW could be scrambling to find some new shows for 2017 although I’d love to see Constantine take Vampire Diaries or Supernatural’s place.

37. Rjrtist says:

#9. Watch the muppets and the voices never matched up to the puppeteers mouthing the words. The writing was awful along with the guest stars.