Mayans MC

Sons of Anarchy Spinoff Gets Official Title, New Writer

FX is revving up its Mayans-centric Sons of Anarchy spinoff.

The cabler announced Wednesday that SOA creator Kurt Sutter has handpicked up-and-coming writer Elgin James to pen the pilot for the potential series, which has been titled Mayans MC. Sutter will be credited as a co-creator alongside James.

FX, meanwhile, calls Mayans MC “a dark, visceral family drama that takes a new look at the most American of icons, the 1% outlaw, this time, reflected through a Latino lens.”

On his decision to hire James, whose most notable credit is the 2012 indie Little Birds, Sutter said in a statement, “I wanted to find a strong, unique Latino voice. Because I didn’t think a white guy from Jersey should be writing about Latin culture and traditions. Elgin is that voice.”

Elgin is next set to direct the film adaptation of A Million Little Pieces.

Sons of Anarchy ended its seven-season run in 2014. Sutter’s 2015 FX follow-up, The Bastard Executioner, failed to match SOA‘s success and was subsequently cancelled after just one season.

1. simplediscourse says:

LOVED Sons. I even named my kitten Jax. ZERO interest in this.

• SOA_Fan says:

Then don’t watch the show dude. I loved SOA and excited to see this through a Latino lens.

• N8frogg78 says:

Exactly.
        Can’t wait for this one.

• lechatnoir says:

I feel like this is the best idea of a spin off ever. I am so happy I find it difficult to believe that they’d even consider a colored spin off . This show was on fire. All they need is add a few more chicas, Rita Moreno , Gina Torres and er… Kate De Castillo and my life will be complete.

2. wrstlgirl says:

I’ll be checking this out but I would have like it better if Sutter’s next project would have been a prequel about the early years of Sons. Wishful thinking I suppose.

• Adviel says:

That would be amazing!

• arlene says:

I read somewhere that that was what was happening. Teach me to not believe everything I read on the internet. Should’ve SNOPES it.

• Dysturbed says:

Sutter has said a few times that he plans to do also do a prequel years down the line, including saying that when this series was first mentioned as possible, so this is a case of you believing something that is still supposedly true.

• BuggyQueen says:

Die-hard SOA fan from day one! I still miss visiting Charming and grieve the loss of Jax and family! It had Oscar worthy creative, writing, directing & acting!!!!
          Sutter is one of the greatest creative and writing minds of our time! He always keeps you guessing and then shocks the !~+= out of you. Leaves you saying “no, they did NOT just do that! With SOA he also made you LOVE and cheer for the outlaws and their way of life (brotherhood & family) and law enforcement, well NOT so much …LOVED that ability of his! Way more than just entertaining! Also watched ?astard Executioner because Sutter created it. It too had it’s shockers and was really gory, but the story out weighed the gore. Would have liked another season for more of the story. I will check out this new venture as the Meyans have always been part of “Charming”. BUT, I WOULD REALLY LOVE LOVE LOVE the prequel to SOA exploring the “beginning of SOA, John Teller, Gemma, etc. and maybe even up to Jax & Tara as teens (first love) and up to her leaving and him marrying Wendy. JUST LOVE his stories! Thanks Kurt!

3. Rob says:

I’ll check it out. I came to Sons late and I really enjoyed it. I’d rather have the prequel of the early days of SAMCRO taking place after the Vietnam War focusing on young John Teller, Gemma, Clay, and Piney.

4. dan says:

I’ll watch it. Hopefully it will have the same tone and feel of SOA that I enjoyed while reigning in some of the wildly awkward and bizarre things Sutter likes to do so much.

5. Earlier Sutter said he was writing like a madman and had a few projects he was working on and this was one. Why is he not writing the show? I will check it out and hopefully it will have a new spin and be a another great show.

6. Judy Jacobs says:

I can’t wait. I loved The Bastard Executioner and was so disappointed when it was cancelled. I hope Mayans makes it because I HATE getting hooked on something then having my supply pulled. Grrrrr.

7. arlene says:

Hoping seriously this will be better than TBE was. That was painful to watch.

8. jim rose says:

I am an absolute true fan of SOA. As an avid HD rider I deeply miss the show. I loved the show so much that as soon as it started i had the SOA logo tattooed on my lower outside leg. So I can hardly wait for the new version to start. Looking FWD for the Mayans MC drama to begin.Thxs to Kurt Sutter and team for putting together the next segment in the world of the bikers. In addition, found it very interesting seeing that SOA was about a town called Charming which on the show was depicted as being in the San Joaquin area as I live in the city of Elk Grove Ca which is located in the south part of Sacramento Ca. Keep up the good work.

Ironpwr

9. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

FINALLY! Something that’s SOA related. …..I can’t wait to see this even tho. I would like to see SAMCRO early days. Seeing the outlaw biker life from a Latino view is alright by me anything Sutter/SOA I’m down……this might be another hit for FX!!

10. it’ll be funny to see Sutter dress up like a latino gang member on the aftershow recaps.

11. mrhyde67 says:

I wonder if it will pickup from the time Jax died ? Maybe at some point, Jax”s son will enter the picture as a young man.

12. Nico says:

MAKE A NEW SONS OF ANARCHY FOR 2016 I’m addicted to it!!!!!!!!!

13. Lucifer says:

So I take it James is a criminal of sorts? Because if not then Sutter is discriminating against Latino criminals!

14. Allie says:

SOA was so interesting, so well acted and so well written that this will be an instant hit and I’m on board. I hope Danny Trejo will make a few appearences or star in it. I liked Emilio Rivera as the leader of the Mayans. I didn’t like Jimmy Smits in his cardigan sweaters….ugh, give him a better wardrobe if he shows up again. I hope somehow Walton Goggins gets to come back as the loveable Tranny

15. RollTide Steele says:

Ready for it, #cantWAIT

16. Walkie says:

The show might have a chance if Sutter isn’t writing it. He clearly got burned out on SoA. The seasons got more and more absurd and cartoonish.

17. marilyn rice says:

Awesome show loved it can’t wait for more

18. Kurt fan says:

I am hoping the show airs as if the Sons of Anarchy still are in operation, in some episodes
    Maybe it will show some of Tiggs in action as the new Sons leader. I was hoping that there would
    be a future episode showing what happens to Jax’s two sons, that they may evolve into Sons of Anarchy members themselves.
    Hopefully this will just be
    Mayans as the center of what was left behind
    after Jax met his end.
    loved the bastard executioner by the way. Hated to see it end.

19. swizz says:

I’ll definitely give this a chance. With sutters success with the shield and so it DESERVES a chance….one thing it has going already……katey sagal won’t be in it coming from the Hispanic point of view.