Kelly Ripa Michael Strahan Interview

Kelly Ripa Defends Her Live Walkout: 'I Didn't Just Not Show Up'

Kelly Ripa would like to clear a few things up.

Let’s start with her (sudden) week-long absence from Live, just one day after co-host Michael Strahan announced to the world — and to Ripa, mere moments earlier — that he’s leaving the show for a new gig at Good Morning America. Speaking to her critics, via People, Ripa stands by her decision to step back and clear her head.

“I think what people need to understand about the entire situation is that I didn’t just not show up,” Ripa tells the magazine. “I said, in the room, ‘I am going to take the day off.’ I needed to actually sit and gather information. I needed to make sure I said the appropriate things on TV and didn’t just come out and say whatever. … In that moment there were [staff members] looking at me, saying, ‘Tell us this is going to be OK. Are we going to be OK?'”

As for Strahan’s replacement, Ripa acknowledges that finding someone with whom she has “chemistry and camaraderie and trust” will be no easy feat: “It doesn’t fall out of the sky. It takes a lot of work, and it takes a group discussion.”

Still, Ripa bears no ill will towards her departing co-host, saying, “People make mistakes, and we’re all human. … We all have these moments, and it’s about how you move forward and how you begin again.”

Your thoughts on the current state Live-gate? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Big Mike says:

Will this story just die already?

• Mack says:

I completely agree. The longer she talks about this, the longer she wants it to be all about herself.

• TV Gord says:

I’m interested in this story, so I clicked on it. You apparently aren’t, but you clicked on it.

If you aren’t interested in a story, don’t click on it. That will indicate to the website that there isn’t interest in it, and you’ll see fewer and fewer stories about it.

2. nika says:

Kelly Ripa is just a drama queen wanting for the attention

• Have never watched this show, except when it was on in a doctor’s waiting room or a similar milieu, and I haven’t intentionally watched anything with Regis Philbin on it since the Joey Bishop Show, but I think the public is being way too hard on Kelly Ripa. She deserved time to process the manner in which her producers and co-host informed her of the change, which seemed a breech of trust. And yes, I will continue not watching the show, no matter who is brought in to replace MStrahan, who recorded another sack with all this nonsense.

• unclelawwy says:

Thank you for a very reasonable reaction. I think, from her comments on the show, that she felt more betrayed by the suits at ABC than by Strahan (though that had to hurt). She’s worked for ABC for 26 years and deserved much more respect than she was shown.

• :-) says:

Have you ever considered that the information leaked prematurely and that the ABC and Michael Strahan were forced to make an announcement because of this? I think it’s much more likely that they planned to tell her after everything was done but somehow it got out. That’s a very likely scenario considering what time the information first came out. Late afternoon. had done it on purpose they would have done it earlier in the day so it would have the entire news cycle to itself. I think it’s just a difficult situation. Also if they were not getting along why does he have to tell her about his opportunity before time? You only tell a friend that. If they don’t get along isn’t it better that he leave

3. Claire Metrick says:

I no longer watch the show because of this. Unprofessional diva. Full of herself. Should have fired her. She is not irreplacible by any means.

• Mary says:

What you call unprofessional I call having self esteem. The way ABC handled this was a slap in the face for a longtime employee, who I might add, has brought them a lot of money. I know many of you feel Corporations have the right to treat Employees like dog dew but I give anyone Male or Female who sticks up for themselves credit. If you stopped watching because of this, it says more about you than Kelly. By the way unprofessional would be to go to work and speak instead of taking the time to collect your thoughts.

• Amanda says:

I would be all the way with you if that was the case, but this isn’t, she was being petty…plain and simple! She took what was supposed to be HIS moment and crapped on it because she wasn’t told? WHO CARES!!!! That response alone set women in the workplace back 40 years because now men will say that we’re “too emotional” instead of professional! I would’ve had more respect for her if she had pulled up her drawers and handled it instead of running….whenever someone in my office gets a promotion or is leaving, they don’t run that information pass me first. She didn’t need to know, because in hindsight, it wasn’t about her job! If she was handling business, she wouldn’t care who sat beside her, she would keep pushing because she is supposed to be the “star” of the show! I would’ve also had more respect for her if she had APOLOGIZED for stealing his moment, instead of again making it all about her!

• Mary says:

Your statement really doesn’t make sense. It was about her job, the show is called Kelly and whoever. It is really sad that many of you don’t understand ethics. The show Producer didn’t even know what does that say. Nobody would of stolen his thunder if say notify your current employer and maybe have them announce his leaving. Do you really think waiting a week or two before putting it out on social media would of made that much of a difference. I guess we will agree to disagree but to be honest I think you and a few others are in the minority on this.

• D. says:

I’m curious — would some of you who are so defensive about Kelly feel the same way if it had been one of the women from THE VIEW? You know she’s not some poor, helpless creature that needs your protection and you do realize she’s an actress, don’t you?

• Jeremy says:

He could have had his “moment” if he and ABC had properly involved Kelly and the ‘Live’ producers in the process. What people don’t realize is that this affects Kelly and the staff at ‘Live’ so much more than you think. Kelly and Michael had/have on-screen chemistry that the viewers love. They now have to find that same chemistry again with someone new after just 4 years. If they fail to find that, the viewers won’t tune in, the ratings will drop, ‘Live’ will get cancelled and Kelly and the staff will be out of the job while Michael is sitting pretty counting his piggy bank over at GMA. This isn’t an everyday office job where your co-worker can literally make or break your employment – kudos to Kelly for sticking up for herself. This whole thing has been about HER job and the job of everyone at ‘Live’.

• Guy Lucas says:

Yes, I totally agree. I have net Kelly on several occasions while here in Florida and I must add she is one of the most selfless people I was fortunate to meet. What you see is how she really is !

• tvjunkie says:

meow

• Karen says:

Michael was the unprofessional one, she’s the one who cared about her crew.

• TV Gord says:

I don’t think either were being unprofessional. Michael was following orders not to tell anyone. Disney, meanwhile, knew that she was just as upset when they didn’t tell her that Regis was leaving. She apparently made it clear to them then that she didn’t like that, so when they did it again, it was a “fool me twice” moment for her.

She has a right to be in on these kinds of decisions that affect her show and possibly her future livelihood.

Neither of them were in the wrong. It was just a badly handled situation by management.

4. Kate says:

I don’t blame her for taking a day. She and Michael genuinely seemed to have a great relationship given how many off air things they did together voluntarily. I’m sure it was a lot to process that not only was her co-host leaving but that the network kept the whole plan a secret until minutes before it went public. She didn’t need to be a part of negotiations but she definitely deserved more of a heads up than she got. The network should have given Kelly and Gelman enough time to come up with a game plan to coincide with the announcement of Michael leaving. I don’t blame her for feeling disrespected when the network essentially did something to help GMA at the expense of her show. They could have at least given her the courtesy of advance warning so that when the news became public she was ready for all that drama that went with it.

5. Will Sanborn says:

Kinda wish TVLine would leave this alone. Expect it from like TV Guide or EW. Just my two cents. :P

6. greg says:

She has done absolutely nothing wrong. She took a day off to gather her thoughts and then had a preplanned vacation. She made no statements to the media until now, all the stories have been based on “insiders” and bloggers making stories out of nothing. I dont understand all the bashing she has received for this, and being called a Diva just because she didnt roll over and stood up for herself (behind closed doors might I add).

• TV Gord says:

She is successful and beautiful and–as I’ve seen referenced more than once–blonde. That’s apparently enough for some people to turn on her.

• Foxytri says:

Totally agree! I loved Kelly and Michael as a team but I can’t wait until Friday is over with because it has been spoilt by this situation. I wish Michael well and look forward to seeing who the new host will be.

7. Cody96 says:

Kelly will NEVER get it that this isn’t about her! She took away Michael’s moment by being hurt and petty on air.

• Mary says:

Your statement doesn’t make sense because she took the day off, there was no on the air anything other than the statement she made when she came back. If ABC/Michael handled this properly than none of this would have happened. I guess some either lack self esteem or are so envious that one is more successful then them that they feel standing up for yourself is wrong. Sad really.

• Cody96 says:

The passive aggressive way she has been treating Michael on air isn’t right, but he is very professional about it. Most likely whenever the executives told her she, would have reacted the same…she even said she knew this would happen when he started on GMA two days a week. I have my opinion and she did take away Michael’s moment making it all about her…just facts.

8. ChrisGa says:

Never been a huge fan of either but he look like someone who just happens to be taking another job and she just looks like a spoiled diva; it’s not a good look.

9. leo says:

Who. Gives. A. …..?

• NJMark says:

For starters, the people who work on the show, who are wondering if they are still going to have jobs, or if ABC going to extend GMA into that time-slot.

10. charlie says:

I don’t really understand why people think she’s such a diva/drama queen. The media is who made this story go crazy. The hosts on this show take off all the time…had the media not gone crazy with it, it would’ve just looked like she had more time off (which she did anyways, other than the first day or two). And now she’s speaking out because People offered her the cover story. She’s allowed to have a voice, and I think she is very professional in what she does.

• Jenks says:

Key words: People offered her a cover story. So she gets to keep this dead story alive and herself in the spotlight. I’m all for people standing up for themselves and maybe the media did make this more of a to-do than it had to be, but Kelly should have said all this at the time, rather than letting it look like she was sulking like a brat and making Michael’s moment all about her. Oh, except then she wouldn’t have got a People cover story.

• TV Gord says:

People doesn’t “offer” celebrities the cover. The rag threatens them for a story; if they don’t cooperate on a story, they’ll do another that probably won’t put them in a good light. It’s one of the worst kept secrets in showbiz.

• greg says:

I agree, and it is because she is a woman that she is being labelled these terms. Apparently she isnt allowed to have a backbone or care about a show shes been on for 15 years.

11. Andrew says:

I don’t even watch the show, but I knew there had to be more to her not being there.

There were so many articles saying she was a “no-show” or that she “walked out,” but then when she broke her silence (in that e-mail), she said, “Thank you for giving me the time to process this new information,” which made it sound like the entire staff knew she wouldn’t be there to begin with.

Now, she confirms that, which suggests that ALL of those stories about her not showing up, walking out, being a b****, etc., were not true.

It just goes to show that you can’t believe everything you read.

12. Laurel Fortin says:

This show ended when Regis left. It has never been the same. Time to move on and find a new venture Kelly.

13. Ricky Lee Jones says:

Can’t stand her but I guess if a man did it, they probably wouldn’t have been raked over the coals. That said, still can’t stand her and will never watch that show. I do miss Regeeeee.

14. Hallie says:

I don’t get it Regis had no issues replacing Kathy so why all the drama she came from a soap where people left all the time deal with it move on what is her problem

• Mary says:

I bet you Regis knew that Kathy was leaving way before it was announce. It wasn’t the fact that Michael was leaving it is the way it was handled. It is obvious that Kelly looks at her job as family and Micheal looked at it as a stepping stone.

15. This was mismanaged from the get go. All this drama could have been avoided by upper management setting everyone down and discussing the changes coming upfront and letting them as a team figure out what to do next. I do not blame Michael or Kelly for this mess. ABC management created it and they can live with the aftermath.

16. Norda says:

“People make mistakes…..” Exactly who made a mistake? It sounds like shes mad because she didnt have more control over the situation – So finding a new job was a mistake? Not treating her like she was his boss was a mistake?

17. Ayanna J says:

I think Kelly made the right call. It was smart of her to put some distance between herself and the camera and process since she was totally blindsided by the news. It was unfair of the producers to put her on the spot and in that position on live TV. I would need a week to clear my head too.

18. Gail smalley says:

I am behind Kelly 100%.

19. S Hollingsworth says:

So disappointed in how Kelly has changed: her $2,000,000 Salary per year(for an hour’s worth of work, per day) She is a co host, along with Michael Strahan, yet, Kelly gets paid way more than Michael and Kelly takes ALL the credit.

20. Jeanierossi says:

I feel they should of told her, but they write the checks so they hold the ball.i love michael, not Good Morning America.

21. Stella R Haynes says:

I understand that Kelly was upset about Michael leaving but, she didn’t have to make remarks to him about his divorce she was completely out of line. He was told to keep it a secret that is not his fault. He didn’t betray her in fact he wanted to stay until they found a person to replace him, he planned on leaving in September but, because she threw a temper tantrum and wanted him gone as soon as possible, she got her wish he is leaving this week. That is her fault not his. I use to like Kelly and enjoyed watching the show. After watching that day when she humiliated him about his divorce was uncalled for it was childish and very disrespectful. I haven’t watched it since and I will not watch in the future.

• TV Gord says:

You’re just grasping for things to be upset about. She didn’t “humiliate” him by “making remarks” about his divorce. She simply said that he’s divorced as a segue into one of the stories they were talking about during host chat. He has talked openly about being divorced many times in the past. If this controversy had never erupted, people wouldn’t have given that casual comment a second thought.

22. Lisa Wiggins says:

I love Kelly and totally agree with HER!!! She’s professional and acted accordingly!

23. panijal says:

It appears there was much more between them than just chemistry, camaraderie and trust. Were they involved in other ways and hence needed to be separated to protect the network from adverse publicity about a relationship between to very different people?

24. Melinda says:

Rather than be happy for Michael Kelly made the situation ALL about her. Since the announcement, the focus has been on Kelly’s unprofessional tantrum-like behavior instead of the exciting new venture for Michael. The attention should be directed towards the accomplishments and advancement of a colleague. Kelly needs to get over herself, and Michael is much better off moving on!!

25. Crazylady says:

I do believe Kelly Ripa was shown a tremendous amount of disrespect by studio executives when they chose to tell her so late in the game. She has been an awesome asset to Live since she joined the program years ago. With that being said, I personally have lost respect for Kelly Ripa. The shows that I’ve watched since this debacle have shown me a side of her that I don’t admire any more. She did not seem sincere when she congratulated Michael Strahan. He is leaving much earlier than he was planning and it seems evident that Kelly demanded that happen. Other things that have transpired seem so uncharacteristic for her, but perhaps her true self is now showing for the world to see. I am saddened by this as I have always enjoyed watching the show and especially the comraderie she shared with Michael. However, because of her I will no longer be a viewer.

• Two shots of everything... says:

All of it was perfectly said, and I so loved this part “but perhaps her true self is now showing for the world to see.” Ditto

26. Two shots of everything... says:

I am no longer a fan of her or her behavior. My guess is they were not friends or she would have been looped in. She is a prissy a**hole, and who wants to work with that everyday. I would have left too.

27. Elaine Jefferson says:

She needs a co-host who will let her do all the talking! She wants someone to sit beside her who she can continuously interrupt because what she has to say is more important. Kathy Lee was 10 time better for the show. The only reason I watched was because of Michael. I won’t be watching anymore. GMA please let him shine along with the rest of your professional cast!!!!!

28. Al & Laura Poole says:

I loved the chemistry between you and Michael andI will miss it terribly. I think Michael should have discussed his leaving long before going public. I can’t imagine how hurtful that must have been for you after all your great camaraderie . We love you Kelly.

29. It’s so said that Kelly won’t let Michael stay till September , she is so spoiled and rude , why would they let her stay . Maybe that’s why he left .

30. Dom Pizza says:

You are a winner with a winning philosophy.Jimmy Kimmell and you would be “dynomite”.Your way made that chemistry between Michael and you possible.

31. I have watched LIVE for at least the past 25 years, & I can honestly say that I enjoy the show more since Kelly Ripa has been a part of each morning. She is so very good as a host, & I believe she will carry on just fine without Michael–he should have given her at least a week’s notice that he was leaving.

32. I watch your show frequently…not everyday because I can’t. However,as a minority of color I was glad to have been able to watch the show segment that aired when you brought him aboard.
    I deeply regret his decision; for whatever reason to have shown his “thank you” in the manner that he did.
    I can only hope that whatever problems he faced either before coming aboard with you or occured during his tenure on the show; does not sour your positive outlook of providing an opportunity for others that has the kind of gifts and talent that Michael has.

33. j trimble says:

She seems so fake since Michael left. Not the same Kelly. I’m not liking the show now but will wait to see who co host is before I turn to another show.