Chicago PD Recap Justice

Chicago P.D. Recap: Was Justice Served in the Potential Spinoff?

After shots were fired during Wednesday night’s Chicago P.D., we got our first taste of the Windy City-set franchise’s likely next offshoot, Chicago Justice.

The crux of the episode involves a shooting, in which Roman is seriously injured. Burgess runs after the assailant and shoots him in the back multiple times. But it’s hardly case closed after that. The young man, Michael Ellis, is, by all accounts, an Eagle Scout. Even worse, the police have no eyewitnesses and can’t find the gun to tie him to the incident. So a firestorm erupts as the city’s population protests the police firing at an innocent boy.

Enter steely ASA Peter Stone (The Player’s Philip Winchester), who can’t quite figure out who will be tried, Ellis or Burgess. He’s got pressure on him from all sides. The State’s Attorney Mark Jefferies (Rocky‘s Carl Weathers) is concerned he won’t be reelected if this goes badly, while Voight doesn’t think Stone’s got the same hunger in his eyes as when the prosecutor put him behind bars. “That’s because the case on you was a slam dunk,” Stone replies. Zing!

Later, the team catches a break when they find the gun, as well as a photo of Ellis holding the same type of weapon, and learn that he ranted about the police to a friend. But there’s a weakness in the ASA’s case that Ellis’ defense attorney Shambala Green (guest star Lorraine Toussaint, reprising her Law & Order role) is more than happy to exploit. Video footage of Burgess and Roman canoodling in their patrol car is shown in court — and yes, Ruzek sees it as his ex-fiancée takes the stand. (After the detective sweetly tried to comfort her earlier in the episode, that had to be a gut-punch for him.)

Eventually, Ellis’ motive becomes clear to Stone with the discovery that the kid’s “uncle” had been arrested by a racist cop and then committed suicide in prison the day before Roman was shot. With that nail in her case’s coffin, the defense attorney suggests a plea deal: just four years in the slammer. The SA wants to take it in order to avoid an acquittal or a hung jury, but Stone leaves the final decision to Burgess and Roman. Though she’s against it, he begrudgingly gives in. “We’re all sleeping in our own beds tonight,” he reasons. “Let the city sleep, too.”

Winchester promises to be a compelling lead, but let’s be honest, this episode belonged to Marina Squerciati, whose Burgess was put through the emotional wringer. The spinoff’s ensemble also includes Justified‘s Joelle Carter (as investigator Laura Nagel), Heroes Reborn‘s Nazneen Contractor (ASA Dawn Patel) and newcomer Ryan-James Hatanaka (investigator Daren Okada), but they don’t get much to do in the hour. (Did Contractor even say anything?) With such a heavy case, there also wasn’t much exploration of the work or personal dynamics within the legal offshoot, but hopefully, that will change, should Justice be picked up.

What did you think of the proposed series? Vote below to let us know whether you’ll be adding yet another Chicago show to your TV schedule.

1. Mackey says:

Good acting and a great cast for Justice, but this episode was too predictable. Everyone who watches PD knew there was no way Burgess was going to get in trouble or that she shot the wrong kid.

2. Cobra says:

Great to see Joelle Carter back on my TV.
    And Lorraine Toussaint has now officially been playing Shamballa Green for 26 years.

• Steven says:

That’s as long as I’ve been alive! Crazy! I enjoyed the episode, but I’ve always enjoyed even the worst legal drama.

• JM says:

Yes! Love Joelle, but I hope they will give her more to do in the series since she is a truly fine actor and can handle it. And the continuity with Lorraine was sweet, too.

3. chloe says:

i loved this ep! chicago pd is the only one i watch, but i’d definitely watch chicago justice

4. Vee says:

The fact that this show isn’t getting dragged by black twitter is proof no substantial amount of black actually watch it. That pilot was trash, and if I even bothered with L&O:Chicago, I definitely do not feel compelled to watch any of their four shows. Trash.

• Vee (again) says:

*no substantial amount of black people actually watch it

Missed a word there. It’s late. (Apologies if you like the show, though. It doesn’t do it for me.)

• Lolastep says:

Don’t think you can speak for me or any black person. I watch Chicago PD and don’t think all black people are innocent little angels who never commit any crimes cause newsflash, black people DO.

5. Chloe says:

I like Nazneen Contractor & it was great to see Carl Weathers but the blonde did nothing for me. But yes, more than likely, I’ll watch it.

6. James D says:

really liked it. I really hope it is successful Philip deserves a successful show. He was awesome on Strike Back but it didn’t exactly allow him to flex his ability as an actor (which he has considerable amounts of) from the very little we saw it seemed to me they all had good chemistry together and any chance to watch Carl Weathers and Joelle Carter I will gladly take. can’t wait.

7. Bwhit says:

I wasn’t sure if I would watch Justice but Phillip Winchester has me sold…. I’ve never seen him in anything I’ve watched but dang, I loved his character. I’ll give it a go. Burgess and Roman, it just doesn’t feel right or natural, hope it’s short lived. I agree that Marina was just fantastic tonight!

8. Kevin K says:

Michael Stonebridge + Apollo Creed = Chicago Justice

9. Jon says:

I watch all the “One Chicago” shows, so was reluctant to take on yet another. But this episode/pilot was surprisingly good! Loved Phillip Winchester in The Player (an underrated, fun action show) and he was perfectly cast here as the lead. Marina Squerciati was terrific, and it was fun to see random cameos from the other Chicago shows (like Cruz and Borelli from CF, and Maggie from Med). Clearly Chicago Justice–if it’s picked up–will also be an active part of the same “universe.”
    Sigh…looks like I’ll be adding another Chicago show to the DVR…

10. Sarah D says:

Enjoyed the show. Hope it gets picked up.

11. ? says:

Very entertaining episode. Great cast for the spinoff even if not all of them got to shine tonight.

12. Avinash says:

I loved it. I am up for anything ‘Chicago’. I was kind of hoping Michael was innocent just to see how they would handle it.

13. Controversy says:

Peter Stone? Wonder if it’ll be shown to be a relation to L&O motherships Ben Stone. Nice shoutout to the original’s L&O with Ms. Green.

14. Steph says:

I will watch it… Love PD. Fire was awesome till the whole alderman storyline which I am not a fan of. Med on the other hand (other than Oliver Platt) is hard to watch.
    I don’t know if I dislike Halstead or just the actor playing him and I just don’t care about the rest of the characters as a whole. Will be dropping it and Quantico next season.

• Bigdede says:

Halstead is the worst. It’s not only the character but it’s the actor. He makes it hard to watch that show. All of the main 3 doctors are just boring and annoying

• JM says:

Really? I actually like his character and find it to be believable as a relative newbie (doesn’t have a permanent position yet) who is still finding his way. I’m interested in seeing his arc. The doctor with the rich father, tho? He can go. Don’t like him at all.

• Debbie W says:

Halstead IS the worst. He’s such an arrogant creep. Med is easily the weakest in this franchise, it seems like each episode is written completely independent of the others in terms of how the characters act.

15. SonOfCoul says:

What’s next? Chicago Public works? Chicago Water & Power? Chicago Taxi?
    Are you kidding me, NBC?

16. Leonard Szweda says:

How is it they can make great series in Calif., N.Y., FL. and Chicago and when they try any city in Mich. it’s BLAH. Boring. Really like the Chicago series.

17. bobC927 says:

Apollo Creed? How long before Rocky aka Sly Stallone makes an appearance.

18. Tom-VA49 says:

I see how Law and Order inspired this group of Chicago based shows, but I’m a little overloaded with Fire, Med, and PD right now.

19. Ronald Gold says:

Thought the episode was a little wishy, washy, and didn’t like the States Attorney character. but I’ll give it a try.

20. Kalli says:

The problem with these shows is that the timeline for a court case is quite long. This episode appeared to cover at least a month, looking at Roman’s injuries, but if that was the case then they had time (for example) to look up the historical transport card data before the case started, and it would be very much unrealistic given how long these cases tend to germinate and go through preliminaries before the big trial, where there should be no surprises left if everyone’s done their jobs instead of standing around looking intimidating/sympathetic. Incorporating this show into the Chicago storyline would require a huge feat in order to keep the timelines relatively in sync for the crossovers to make sense, especially the 5-way Fire/Med/PD/SVU/Justice one that you know is coming… (that’s 200 minutes of story – just make a movie!)

21. Maxsmom says:

the case was too by the numbers predictable and I find Burgess quick turnaround to Roman from Ruzak too fast, it could be that I have never warmed to Roman and love Ruzak but it is also just a bit yucky.

Marina did rise above the case and episode to give a compelling performance.

As for Justice, the lead is too smug by half and the supporting cast had to compete with P.D., Fire, and Meds casts and lost. The cases would have to be a lot smarter and the famous law and order twist would have come in handy here.

• Debbie W says:

It’s a disturbing pattern on these shows….if a guy waits it out long enough, the woman will come around and realize that they are meant to be together. You can tell they are planning this same thing with Halstead and Manning on Med, and probably Otis and Brett on Fire too.

22. cadfile says:

The show has potential as long as they stop with pulling plot twists out from their behinds at the last minute like last night. It looked like they had to rush to fit all the cast members from both shows into one episode.

23. Mel says:

I love that Phillip Winchester is back on another show. Loved him in Strikeback and The Player. I think Chicago Justice will be another great show! Looking forward to watching it.

24. Jen says:

I hope this one is more like the Law and Order shows than the rest of the Chicago franchise. I’d rather see more about the job and less about the characters hooking up with each other, which seems to be a huge feature on the Chicago shows.

25. Andre C says:

This specific episode had me a little confused. I mean I understand that cops put their lives on the line for just about everybody but at the same time they are not heals accountable for their actions either. I knew that burgesses was not going to get in that much trouble. I could see it was more about vengeance and not justice for both parties. Love all the Chicago’d except fire but i will look at this Chicago justice. Philip Winchester is awesome love him