Arrow Recap: Take Your Daughter to Hack Day

This week on The CW’s Arrow, it was a nuclear family affair when Felicity recruited her criminal father to help thwart Damien Darhk’s annihilation of (most of) mankind.

Having seized possession of the Rubicon algorithm (which as Felicity notes was a very bad idea to create in the first place), Darhk uses it to arm and initiate launch sequences for nuclear missiles from every NATO ally. Knowing that with every death, Darhk will become that much more powered/unstoppable, Felicity seeks out her super-hacker dad, Noah, while Oliver and Diggle sniff around for the nexus chamber/”magic lifeline” within Star City.

Thea meanwhile gets a visit in Tevat Noah (“Noah’s Ark”) aka “Your Home in the New Era” from Malcolm, who (as usual!) insists that everything he does is to protect her — even if it means abetting a plan to burn the world with nuclear fire, so that a few hundred brainwashed folks can restart mankind. (If Darhk’s plan succeeds, will Arrow dovetail with The 100 Season 1? Discuss.)

Tevat Noah, though, has bigger concerns than “pain in the ass” Thea, because Lonnie Machin aka Anarky is in “town” to detonate the air scrubbers, meaning the people inside the domed suburbia will suffocate. With Malcolm’s help, Thea stops Lonnie from setting off the bombs, though even after an extended bit of hand-to-hand, she cannot prevent him from offing Alex.

Darhk’s ghosts, led by Brickwell, find and apprehend Noah first, but Oliver and Diggle, with Felicity manning the getaway truck, liberate him for their own world-saving purposes. Next, when Felicity is unceremoniously terminated from Palmer Tech, Oliver and Diggle help her and Noah steal next-gen processor code needed to crack Rubicon. With use of a server farm, father and daughter detain all but one of the commandeered nukes, which Felicity is just barely able to detour away from Monument Point (population: millions) and instead obliterate Havenrock’s tens of thousands. Win…?

Oliver and Diggle meanwhile realize that the nexus chamber must be located beneath City Hall (ergo the need to have a puppet as mayor), and there they discover Darhk getting super-duper-charged by the tens of thousands of fresh deaths. “You’re gonna need much bigger arrows,” the glowy-eyed baddie warns.

Elsewhere in the episode:

* A snooping Donna discovered at Lance’s place an affidavit he planned to sign, lying about knowing Black Canary’s true identity in trade for getting him his badge back. After a disappointed Donna observes that there are no such things as small lies, Lance tweaks the language of the confession to acknowledge that he knew of and commended Laurel’s superhero endeavors.

* In flashbacks, Taina saved Oliver from a beat-down at the hands of glowy-eyed Reiter, only to seemingly get possessed by the idol herself when they scampered off with it.

What did you think of the episode “Monument Point”?

1. Sam says:

I think the point was Havenrock was tens of thousands not millions (like Monument Point would have been)… sacrificing a “few” to save many

• Sam says:

Either way I really loved this episode. Diggle and Felicity have made some really tough choices. I like my characters morally grey like that.

• Liz says:

I’m loving what they’re doing with Digg and Felicity. They’re making tough choices this time and Oliver will be the one to support them. He’s come so far!

• Trish says:

Agreed. Diggle and Felicity have had some pretty morally difficult choices this season. It’s been so hard to watch them struggle. But man, is it compelling!

• Liz says:

Absolutely. But I’ve wanted to see this. We’ve seen them be Oliver’s backbone and guidance for so long now, it’s about time the tables were turned. Plus it just makes OTA even more solid in the long run. I’m excited.

• Patrick says:

We’ve seen Dig and Felicity really castigate Ollie for some tough decisions. I like seeing them realize that sometimes, there is no good solution. You just have to make the least bad decision. Its good for them to have this realization.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yes, the typographical error has been amended.

• Sab says:

this ,still that was horrible situation especially for felicity who usually sees the world as only black/white

2. dragon2heart says:

Really good episode as everyone had their moment in the spotlight & loving how Oliver is once again a skilled fighter.
    I am looking forward to the last 2 season eps & going into season 5.

Arrow is back baby!

3. Sab says:

the last 10 minutes were insane I couldn’t stay still ..
    the stunts were great ,the best it has been in awhile
    Oliver has really grown as aperson you can see it through the episode
    Felicity & her father were so good together ,love their dynamic
    Felicity had to make one hell of a decision , I feel horrible for her though she made the right call
    Lyla won the night with her line about the fate of the world being in hands of IT girl ,2 men in hollowen customes & her criminal father :D
    myrlen really needs to go this guy will do any thing to save his own skin

great great episode

4. Liz says:

I really enjoyed this episode. Not as much as last week but still a great one. So happy to see Oliver out in the field kicking ass again. I’ve missed it so much! I feel so sorry for Felicity though, as if she hadn’t been through enough this year, she then loses her job and now she’s just had to send a nuke to a town. It was necessary but she’s gonna feel so guilty, poor thing.

Thea needs to kill Malcolm now. So done with him. Kinda digging Thea/Anarky though, aside from him calling her mommy. What was up with that?

• Liz says:

Forgot to say I actually can’t believe they dropped the nuke. I thought they’d manage to stop it. It reminds me of the Season 1 finale actually, where I was surprised they had the earthquake device go off and destroy part of the Glades. So good on them for shocking me!

• John NYC says:

They appear to have needed to at least somewhat power up Dahrk for the big conclusion: so all those thousands of deaths were for the plot line.

• Liz says:

Exactly. I think it’s partly to fuel some character development in Felicity (those deaths will affect her even though it wasn’t her fault) but mostly to make Damien more powerful and unstoppable. I’m impressed.

• lokibyheart says:

I still believe if they can change the story line a bit and go by lian yu story. Arrow will be as strong as he was in season 2..

5. Lily says:

While the last two episodes have been an improvement, I am so ready to be done with this season/Darkh. His plotline has been moving at a snail’s pace and every time I see that idol I get mad. I am ready for a more compelling villain in s5.

• Mila says:

Personnaly I came to the realization I prefer 10 ish episodes for an arc/season.. although I get that it sucks for actor when your season is less than 16 episodes for benefits and stuff

• Sab says:

while I agree they kinda dragged this storyline , but Darkh is the best villain from the arrowverse this year IMO .maybe not Slade Willson good but very very good beside the actor is really great

• Liz says:

I take comfort in Damien being better than Ra’s. No one is worse than Ra’s al Ghul. He was terrible! I think the magic stuff is troublesome though. I hope we go a bit more grounded again next season.

6. Trish says:

I really enjoyed this episode of Arrow.
    So many aspects about the show that I love are back and I love it. Seeing Oliver and Diggle and Felicity back in the field on an Italian Job, or Ocean’s Eleven type job, Oliver Queen fighting in that stairwell…. Perfection! He was alone. The focus was on him and it was the best fight sequence the show has had all season. And it occurred a few times tonight. Outstanding! Also, seeing Quentin Lance back helping team arrow was something I’ve missed and enjoyed. I’m interested in seeing how Felicity handles bring unable to save everyone and making such a difficult call. But I’m certain Emily Bett Rickards will rock that material. Arrow seems to be getting back to the elements that made it great. I can’t wait to see what they have in store for the remainder of the season.

7. Death says:

Loved the episode! Oliver/Felicity/Diggle working together like old times was amazing.

8. Liz says:

I didn’t get the Donna and Quentin scene. Why was Donna so upset about him lying to get his job back? Actually, I’m not a fan of those two together at all. I like Donna but I’d be happy if she went back to an appearance once or twice a season.

• Sab says:

I feel the same way about Donna

• Liz says:

Yeah, I just found her scene with Lance a bit weird. I know Donna probably has a big problem with lying (just as Felicity does…probably thanks to her mom lol) because of Noah but that was a bit out of nowhere. I do like Donna a lot but only in small doses. Her scene with Felicity was cute/funny. That would have been enough.

• Sab says:

I think the Donna & lance thing is what turned me off & you ’re right she is good in small doses beside if they gonna focus on one of Feliciy’s parenta I would like that parent to be Noah

• She didn’t want him to disown his daughter and what she did. Though I agree we could have done without those scenes.

• Sab says:

without the flash back too ,I legit don’t even know what the hell is going on these scenes like when these people were running in the first fb scene i was like who are thse people? , what are they running from? then i was like nah i don’t really care :)

9. Anna says:

The last two episodes of Arrow have been really enjoyable for me. I love all the morally grey, but organic choices, Diggle and Felicity have had to make. I’m not thrilled about SmoaknLance, but I loved the Team Arrow mission and I especially adored seeing Oliver kick ass in civilian clothes. I didn’t realize how much I missed that.

10. kath says:

Thea/Malcolm relationship — boring and done too many times
    Felicity/Noah relationship — something different for this show.

Why is Thea/Anarky so much more interesting than Thea/Alex?

Lyla is so badass, she should be on more.

How can the Palmer board dismiss Felicity and ban her from the company? Ray made her the majority shareholder, they can’t keep her off the grounds.

The best line was about the state of the world being in the hands of an IT girl, a criminal and two guys in Hallowe’en suits.

• Sab says:

The back& forth with Malcom made the character really reduntant .just get ride of him already & free Thea from his disgusting hold

• Mila says:

Good question regarding Felicity being fired. I guess that would explain of Ray’s brother takes Ray design and sells it to the military in the future.

• Karen says:

The board voted her out and she wasn’t there to vote her shares. She will likely vote herself back in at the next board meeting, providing she’s not saving the world.

• kath says:

I’ll take it as a mcguffin for plots sake (and become that whole caper scene was incredibly awesome in a way the show hasn’t done since Oliver, Diggle & Felicity invaded Malcolm’s offices in s1) but she’s not just the CEO, she’s also the majority stockholder. How can they use security to keep the majority stockholder off the premises?
        Felicity really needs to get rid of that Board. Starting with that Mr. Dennis guy who keeps putting her down.

• Dj says:

This would depend on the shareholders agreement and their bylaws. With them being able to vote her out the way they did she will still have her shares, but she wouldnt be on the board.

• brenna says:

I loved that quote too and Oliver’s reply: it’s not a costume!

11. Hodan says:

I loved this episode. Soo many actions scenes. I also like this tough decisions Diggle and Felicity has been making lately. More of that please.

Anyways, I can’t wait for next episode.

12. Phoenix5634 says:

Awesome episode! Really enjoying the path the end of the season is taking recently. Much better than the mid season drama fest. Feels more like the show I love. Great guest appearance from Vinnie Jones! Haha love his acting!

13. Evan says:

Another awesome episode of Arrow. The last two episodes have felt really tight and I’m loving it.

14. Phoenix5634 says:

Where is Monument Point in the arrow-verse compared to real life?

15. Carla Krae says:

In real life, the US would’ve shot down that missile. The fastest missiles still take enough time to cross half the world that jets can intercept.

• texmike says:

Sorry Carla, Jets cannot intercept nuclear missiles. They reenter from space at thousands of miles per hour. They would have to be intercepted in space. That was the purpose of the “Star Wars” missile defense system. It never came to pass. The technology is not here yet.

16. brenna says:

Another great action packed episode very reminiscent of seasons 1 and 2. Loved it. It was fun to see fight scenes with Oliver and also as green arrow. The stairwell fight was great. EBR and Tom amandes were good together. I’m repeating myself but Stephen Amell has been so giving of his time to fans and so supportive of all the cast and other superhero shows that I think he deserves our support too. Love this show.

17. Erin says:

HATED IT, shame on writers for nuking that beautiful town :( superheroes are supposed to bring hope not destruction, what they couldn’t send it into the ocean?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

• Liz says:

Because the town wasn’t near the ocean and Felicity could only redirect it to 20 miles from its original target.

18. partisan says:

Here’s what bothered me. If Rubicon was supposedly designed to STOP a nuclear war why would you design it so it could START a nuclear war? That seems a bit counterproductive. I get that it’s a McGuffin needed to advance the plot so we’re supposed to ignore the logic here but the second I heard that they made this thing to prevent a launch of nuclear missiles I could stop asking “Then why can it FIRE the damned things??!!” It was such an illogical plot contrivance that it kind of ruined the rest of the episode for me. Between this and the fact that with Oliver’s previous experience with the idol and its “wriggly finger” super powers his actions confronting Darkh seem utterly moronic, I had a hard time swallowing this episode.

• Dj says:

Waller was a crazed control freak. So her figuring out a way to have the power to launch nukes makes sense for her. You could easily see her setting off a nuke if it meant stopping a huge threat.

• kath says:

The original Rubicon program was designed to stop all the nukes in the world from being launched.
      Darhk reprogrammed it to launch all the nukes instead, and added the virus that gave up Felicity’s and Noah’s locations.

• partisan says:

There’s a big difference between shutting down a missile and firing it. If a lowly civilian like me sees the risk of using this thing to start Armageddon wouldn’t they have made it impossible to reprogram it to do the exact opposite of what they allegedly intended it for? But then I forget that in lucky bad guy land illogical often stupid choices are needed or the story would run up against the brick wall of logic. I really wish writers would stop making such lazy choices (not just Arrow, LOTS of shows do the exact same thing).

• Annie says:

How is it that hard a stretch? To shut them down you have to control them all. If you can control them you might be able to fire them.
          Add to that is a fictional tv show😜
          Just saying

19. mike says:

How many episodes are we going to have to deal with felicity boo-hooing about killing tens of thousands while completely missing the point that she saved millions. Betting its gonna be at least half of next season and the resulting emotional turmoil will be yet another cog in why her and Ollie can’t be together.

• Sab says:

It’snot about olicity it is about Felicity’s character growth , it takes great balls to be able to make that choice, i’m sure s1 felicity would’ve never been able to make that call
      & as olicity concerned this ancident will most likely make Felicity understsnd Oliver better now she knows that sometimes you just face impossible situation & have to make the best out of it

• mayen says:

Felicity’s relationship with Oliver isn’t her only purpose on the show and has never been. What they’re doing with Felicity right now is the same thing that they’re doing with Diggle. They’ve both been his moral compass for 3+ seasons. Now Oliver can finally step up and be that light for them both while they’re struggling in the grey area which will lead him to become a true superhero, and this allows him to leave some of his doom and gloom behind. This is not just about olicity, geez. These three have been the core of the show since the very beginning. It’s time for a change of dynamics.

• mayen says:

(btw, I meant to reply to Mike, not Sab, sorry)

• Annie says:

I agree with you! Oliver having to rely on hope, love and light to beat Darhk’s magic will just add to that as far as Oliver’s development. Or these relationships will add to his ability – which ever way you want to look at it.

20. Gail says:

Felicity responsible for tens of thousand of people being killed. Wow! How does she live with the guilty of that? Will she leave team Arrow to deal with her guilt?

On another topic, Is Alex dead? I wasn’t sure if Thea was expressing relief or sadness when she checked for a pulse.

• Sab says:

in fact she saved millions by scrificing those thosands ….that was like the most difficult choice that any one in the show had to make even Oliver …I feel horrible for her :(

• Liz says:

I don’t really see her as responsible. She’ll feel guilt, yes, because she’s a good person but she wasn’t the one who released that missile. Damien did. He’s the murderer here. Felicity just failed at stopping it. She had no choice but she saved more lives in the end.

• Dj says:

This depends on how they explain it. If the people that died were going to die when that nuke hit no matter what then yeah it would be her just failing to save them. But if those people would have survived the nuke while millions would have died that would be a darhk area where she would be some what responsible in their deaths.

• Sab says:

I think we’re dealing with situation 2 here Felicity basically chose to save the millions living in the original target by sacrificing people living in much smaller twon , yes it is dark but i love the fact they’re going there with Felicity …It’ll lead to great character development IMO

• Sab says:

Felicity isn’t responsible at all , I mean Amanda Waller in her grave has more responsibility here than Felicity

21. Dj says:

If the nuke would have hit Monument Point would it have killed the people in Havenrocks. If not does this make Felicity responible for killing 10 of thousands. Does this mean the POTUS is going to make them sign the Havenrock (Sokovia) Accords. Also it would have been a fun Easter egg if the nuke would have hit Blüdhaven.

22. RichCD says:

I would not be surprised if there is a reset button coming. There has just been too much tragedy that you can’t just shrug off. Laurel dies, Diggle is forced to kill his brother, Lance loses his job, Alex dies, and now Felicity is forced to bear the guilt of thousands of deaths.

TPTB have said continually that Laurel would not be resurrected. But with some kind of reset, she won’t be killed in the first place.

• mayen says:

She’s dead, like no-time-travel, no lazarus pit, nothing remotely magical kind of dead.

• Sab says:

you mean earsing every thing that happened & the characters never have to deal with consequences of their actions ,no thank you

• RichCD says:

I didn’t say that I wanted it that way. It just seems like they are piling it on so thick that it will be impossible for the characters to recover. Like someone asked above, whether it was her fault or not, how will Felicity live with being directly involved in the death of thousands of people?

• Adam says:

There’s no consequences really anyway. If the team is maintained in anyway, there’s no consequences. Felicity leaving was a way to bring change, but then she came back. Unless the group breaks up permanently, none of this matters. It’s just a return to the status quo. That’s why a show shouldn’t do dumb crap like what they’ve been trying to pull. There’s no point to it. Have a very great day!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

23. BenM says:

Favorite episode of the season for me. Everybody had something to do. No one did anything completely out of character just to push the plot forward. Everyone worked as a team. Momma Smoake got be a little more serious instead of a zany sitcom character. Really liked it.

• mayen says:

My favorite scene of Donna is when she talked to Felicity about her father in the first episode he came on this season. Her voice was warm and cheery and when Felicity brought up Noah, her voice dropped instantly. That got my attention. She’s a great actress considering how easily she falls into the stereotype of that role.

24. Brian Beatty says:

Better episode than I expected. But the way Felicity was fired from the board doesn’t make sense. Ray made her majority shareholder. She would be involved in any decision, even if it is to remove herself as CEO. She would still have the shares.

25. BrianR says:

They have to start killing the bad guys because its faster than trying to capture them alive.

26. A little late commenting but man, that was a really solid Arrow episode! That’s 2 in a row now. Oliver in action was a sight to behold. I love that the fight scenes are so much less cluttered now and so much sharper. I really enjoyed the PT caper, reminded me so much of Oliver, Felicity and Digg breaking into Merlyn Global during the first season. Felicity and Noah have such an entertaining dynamic; I really like what Arrow is doing with Noah, making him just morally gray instead of an evil psychopath like Malcolm. I can enjoy the father-daughter scenes more. My heart broke for Felicity in those final scenes. What an incredibly tough decision. The lives of millions compared with tens of thousands. I’m looking forward to how this will impact her going forward. This time it will be Oliver being the light for both her and Digg. So excited for next episode!

27. Kevin Fowler says:

What a stupid episode. Sorry DC universe or not if Russia nuked a town with tens of thousands of people it would be world War III. The producers should all be fired. Who knows what stupid crap they will pull when Supergirl moves to CW.