Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Sneak Peek: What Is Coulson's Take on Cap's Civil War?

It’s pretty clear on whose side Captain America fanboy Phil Coulson would have stood in Marvel’s big-screen Civil War, as seen in this sneak peek from Tuesday’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC, 9/8c).

In the clip below, Talbot touches base with Coulson in the wake of the events of the blockbuster film, which is set in motion by a collective of world governments demanding oversight of the Avengers and the powered like. Having a few Inhumans within S.H.I.E.L.D.’s ranks, Phil speaks quite candidly about the idea of “registering” Lincoln et al.

Elsewhere in the episode “Emancipation,” Daisy’s prophecy ticks closer towards a major loss, with an “agent” fated to “fall” in the two-hour Season 3 finale (airing May 17).

Want more scoop on SHIELD, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Kevin K says:

Don’t know who I’m rootin’ for: Team Captain America or Team Iron Man

• Sara says:

I understand Tony’s side….there should be accountability…but I don’t think it should be any government that will control the Avengers because in the end they will just want to use them as their own personal army to do what is in their best interest.

2. I’ve narrowed the Fallen Agent list down to three – FitzSimmons and May but I’m leaning more towards the latter.

And I don’t think Coulson is going to end up listening to the Accords, tbh.

• wrstlgirl says:

I’m hoping it’s May.

• Bwhit says:

I feel like she’s the logical choice… Mack and Lincoln have been through it lately so I don’t think it will be them, the outrage that would ensue if they kill Fitz or Simmons would be immense especially because this season has not been kind to either of them until recently.

• The Kaibosh says:

I think it’s May also. She’s run her course.

3. Bwhit says:

I’m totally team Cap…. You can’t ask the Inhumans (Daisy…pre infection, Lincoln, Elena, Joey ect) to help and risk everything and then demand they be registered and regulated in my opinion. I hope Coulson remains on that side but he did ask Lincoln to wear a murder vest so, we will see.

4. LEP says:

So if you haven’t yet seen the movie, can you watch the episode?

• jericho says:

If that is the entirety of the “cross over” then yes. There is absolutely no spoilers in the scene. Unlike with Winter Solider where SHIELD had to deal with the aftermath of the film (and are still doing so). The “Sokovia Accords” are merely a jumping off point for the film. Basically if you have seen a trailer for Civil War you know more than what that scene tells you.

5. Mike says:

I am thinking that it will be Lincoln, my thought is that the injection he gave himself will actually work but had an incubation period that Simmons didn’t take into account. and Hive will attempt to infect him and it will in turn weaken Hive and kill Lincoln. with Hive weakened I think Daisy will realize the parasitic hold he has on her and will finish him off.

6. Karen MT says:

I’m not surprised Talbot is #TeamIronMan. He’s basically siding with himself.

7. Luis says:

The only thing missing was the “Get Smart” theme song!

8. Luis says:

I’m fearing for Mack, which would suck because I love Henry Simmons and would hate to lose him.

9. The Kaibosh says:

I don’t understand the argument. Clearly with one exception the facts are on Steve’s side. I’m just surprised it hasn’t been argued in this way: 1) New York wasn’t the Avengers fault. They saved the world. And in fact it was the government agency that insisted on nuking New York which Iron Man stopped. 2) Washington DC again was not the Avengers or Captain America’s doing. He and Falcon destroyed three extremely dangerous weapons of mass destruction that were created by a government agency that was corrupt from the beginning. 3) Of the examples used Sokovia is the the best one that was ultimately caused by the Avengers It was however also noted that it was more or less a failed state that was harboring Hydra which precipitated the events to begin with. Ultimately there is more than enough evidence to show that its not lack of oversight that is causing these events but rather they are by their very nature dangerous events. Handcuffing and/or controlling those with the ability to stop or minimize the damage doesn’t help. It just turns good people into fugitives. Sorry, but Stark and General Ross are wrong.

• lariet50 says:

I don’t really agree with the Accords as presented in the movie, but I get where Tony is coming from. Of all the things I objected to in “Civil War,” that wasn’t one of them. :) As to AoS, I’m still on the fence about whether to even continue watching it. They’ll have to really bring it over the next two episodes.

10. Ash says:

I don’t want to lose May:(

She is Coulson’s only truly competent agent who does what she is told. She is the cool headed assassin among a bunch of 20-30 something hotheads and Could in. This show needs her.

11. Kate says:

I’m just wondering if I should hold off on all Agents of Shield for a bit. Based on the cold I have today, my body was not up to going to one of the two theaters near me showing the movie and if this is the biggest connection, well, Agents of Shield honestly has bigger issues right now. I sort of presume Phil might take him down to see Lash just to demonstrate there are being like him and beings like Hive who would love there to be a registry of Inhumans, so they could kill/recruit them. But, ask Lincoln. He’s probably would register and he’s the only Inhuman technically as an active Shield agent right now.

12. Joey Padron says:

Good sneak peek clip of new episode. Can’t wait to see new episode tomorrow night!

13. Brigid says:

I couldn’t handle a Coulson, Mac or Fitz Simmons death but everyone else would be fine. Please for the love of GOD get rid of Ward ASAP, I’m tired of seeing him. I like the actor but his character has run it’s course.

14. Mad Hobbit says:

I am waiting for a story arc where the government thinks it needs to take control of “enhanced ” people at any age, including children and or babies. they will come and remove them to “reeducation” camps for their own good.