Power Rangers Movie Costumes

Power Rangers Movie Reveals New 'Alien' Costumes — Do You Approve?

Last month, you judged the heck out of Elizabeth Banks’ revamped Rita Repulsa costume from the upcoming Power Rangers movie. Now, it’s time to put the Rangers on trial.

Lionsgate on Thursday released the first photo (via Entertainment Weekly) of the five Power Rangers — Ludi Lin (Black), Naomi Scott (Pink), RJ Cyler (Blue), Becky G. (Yellow) and Dacre Montgomery (Red) — in all their suited glory:

As you can see, a few adjustments have been made from the costumes used in the original TV series (1993–1995). These new suits are more intimidating, more detailed and… sexier? (Let’s just say the Pink Ranger no longer needs a skirt to distinguish herself from the boys — which was kind of weird in the first place. I mean, the Yellow Ranger didn’t have a skirt. What gives?)

“It’s tricky finding a new language for a superhero costume,” production designer Andrew Menzies tells EW. “Ours is an alien costume that grows on them, that’s not man-made.”

The Power Rangers movie hits theaters on March 24, 2017. Your thoughts on the Rangers’ new look? Cast your vote below, then drop a comment with your full critique.

1. Will says:

While it’s different, I actually don’t hate this (not in the same way I did the Rita Repulsa costume). As long as the trailer isn’t a hot mess I might still go opening weekend! :D

• powerturtle90sdudemon says:

Rita’s new costume makes sense. She had the Green Power Coin in the show and recruited Tommy for it.

• Zack B says:

With this costume reveal I also suspect that the Rita costume we’ve been shown is, in fact, her using the Green Ranger power. Could make for an interesting first film if that is where they are taking it.

• Cody says:

Also makes sense for the “tying her to the kids” storyline they’re discussing. I’m all for that plot line.

2. Mary says:

Far too clunky for the kind of fighting they’re known for.

In Japan, the Yellow Ranger was a guy so that’s why there was no skirt,since some of the scenes for the series in the US were borrowed from the original shows.

• Stacy says:

Now I feel as stupid as the day is long. I didn’t realize this started with a Japanese version, but this certainly explains the missing yellow skirt. Doy! Thanks!

• peterwdawson says:

It got kind of comical in a later season, Lost Galaxy, where they did the same thing with a Yellow Ranger being a man in Japan, but in this case the Yellow female ranger they brought in was fairly well-endowed chest-wise. It was like when the helmet was on the suit became the tightest bra ever.

3. spindae2 says:

Their helmets look a bit weird but overall love it. Can’t wait to see them move in action.

4. Thea says:

The Yellow from the original Japanese show was a boy. Our version used the fight scenes from their version, thus no skirt for Trini. I like that the nixed the skirts for this version. Practical. 👍🏻

5. Amanda says:

The wedges for female rangers is just weird. Especially when it’s a suit that “grows” on them.

• Anne says:

Don’t you know that when women grow body armour it automatically includes heels and individual breast cups!
      /sarcasm

• Lucifer says:

It’s not as obvious, but the male power rangers do have breast plates as well, see how they protrude? It’s similar to male and female anatomy in real life as well. The wedges on the other hand, that makes little sense.

6. David4 says:

They aren’t horrible. You want to keep the spirit of the horrible ugly ones from the show, but make them decent looking. This is a good mix being how bland the 90s ones were.

7. Terry says:

Don’t really care for the boob-armor style for the female rangers; but overall I don’t mind the look.

8. Rob says:

I am just so sick of female superheroes just *having* to wear heels. It makes no sense. Also the breast plate overtly accentuates their breasts. I just feel like they’re totally sexualizing the female power rangers and they don’t need to be doing that.

• The Kaibosh says:

You know I totally agree. Heels and wedge heels in particular are not necessary and break what little suspension of disbelief we already have about super hero and action movies. And when they can amazingly fight in six inch heels the editing falls apart because you can always see that they’re wearing flats for those action sequences. And when they don’t it looks weird. Watching Scarlett Johansson clog around in the first Avengers movie was painful to watch.

• Anne says:

But how will we know which one is the girl??! It’ll confuse the men watching, they won’t know who to get sexually aroused over, they could accidently have a *gay* feeling.
      Which is of course ridiculous

• Hellas13 says:

They (and women in general) have breasts. Get over it.

9. Stacy says:

Seriously? The women have to wear heels? Argh. I don’t know why their chest outline is trying to recreate Lara Tombraider, either.

10. Jasper Dixon says:

Is it just me or do the Rangers look like the became friends with Tony Stark and he provided them with armor? As for the breast plates of the female rangers, it’s ridiculous. This is 2016. Do we really need to make females in armor look like exaggerated swimsuit models? Why is Rita Repulsa over sexuallized as well? I really want this to be good, but i’m holding any judgement until they release the first trailer.

11. Caro says:

I do like the customes (kinda dark like that fan made reboot) but I don’t feel the helmets, they don’t match their dinosaurs.
    Expect for the Red Ranger, all of them look like the Pterodactyl

12. LiamClark88 says:

The yellow ranger didn’t have a skirt because in the original Japanese airing the part was played by a guy.

13. peterwdawson says:

I’m split on this. I like the overall execution of the bulkier design, and it’s probably more realistic, but I always loved the spandex due to both giving off a superhero tights look and its defensive properties really feeling like some kind of alien material. Plus the spandex made it easier for stunt teams to do their thing without requiring CGI. I mean, I’m absolutely fine with CGI martial arts moves, but actual awesome martial arts in the suits is still kind of key.

14. April says:

Are they going with the Dinosaur theme power coin or the stupid animals from the movie (ie Ape, Frog, etc..)