Agents of SHIELD Recap Kree Hunters

S.H.I.E.L.D. Recap: Blue Man Droop

Dear Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Hive:

I write you this letter to ask: What were you doing all that time on Maveth? Because you seem to have arrived on Earth with the flimsiest of master plans.

I mean, your inability to micromanage mere human stooges such as Dr. Radcliffe turned the Marvel universe’s quite famous Kree, here on a live-action primetime TV series, into a wildly wasted opportunity usurped in part by so-so make-up effects (which is not on you per se). You summoned these “mighty” reapers from nearby outer space for the distinct purpose of obtaining their blood for your world-changing purposes, only to leave it up to your very untested crush, Daisy, to subdue one for letting? While you and your nicely tailored Neo costume made sport out of dueling the other?

Perhaps you were distracted by the mayhem going down in your newly purchased ghost town, as S.H.I.EL.D. easily set up a perimeter, before one of its agents waltzed into an empty bar and got your chatty new recruit to give up gobs of crucial intel. Daisy’s mission meanwhile was nullified by the other  S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who, unattended and unnoticed for minutes upon minutes, stood before her and preyed upon the remaining crumbs of her still-human psyche.

And did I mention that you sacrificed the last remaining Hydra honchos to Radcliffe’s suspect science? Surely they could have helped with the day-to-day of ruling Earth. Or maybe are you not good with delegating?

(One thing I cannot hold you accountable for is the shenanigans at the S.H.I.E.L.D. base, where we’re stuck on a loop of Lincoln trying and trying to help the team only to again and again get benched. Fortunately, the tepid debate over whether to use Lincoln as an Inhuman guinea pig didn’t drive an obvious wedge between nascent lovebirds Fitz and Simmons.)

Yes, in the end there was “some” drama, as Daisy came thisclose to crushing her onetime partner Mack to death. (Though again — bad recruiting by you!) And luckily for the Not-So-Grand Plan (since you apparently had no Plan B whatsoever), Daisy offered up her own Kree-based blood to further the cause. But from here we have just two weeks/three episodes to go, so please fine-tune your sinister scheme.

Peace, live long and prosper (if that’s your thing),
Matt

1. Mary says:

It was funny having Agent Piper trying to deal with the fact that aliens had just landed when as Agent Vasquez she works with two on Supergirl.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

…and yet all the hullabaloo about the next-gen weapons they were packing, but did one get used?

• Jordan says:

I thought it was used to shoot Hive after he defeated the Kree. And then Hive re-grew his shoulder after being hit.

• Mary says:

Yeah, it was. May called for Piper to shoot at Hive and his shoulder seemed to melt away and then regenerate. That”s when May decided they should retreat.

• Robert says:

Sure, they obviously used the most ineffective “next gen” weapons in their arsenal. After The Avengers they should have had massively powerful alien tech, but instead they just used standard assault rifles and a miniature, sad rocket launcher.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

My point exactly — “miniature, sad rocket launcher.” All that build-up and it’s a weapon we’ve seen on dozens of shows before.

2. Johnny says:

Clever recap, Matt.
    Mack annoyed me this episode with his “I was her partner, I should have noticed” schtick. I just didn’t find it as compelling or interesting as the writers intended. I am interested in seeing where Lincoln’s arc is headed and how Lash will be brought back into the mix. With Lincoln’s persistence to help, I think he will die (possibly as a sacrifice). He’ll assemble the Secret Warriors sans Daisy for the season ending showdown (which will explain Yo-Yo’s cross floating around on the quinjet).

• skyebright8 says:

Yeah I’m more interested in them actually using Lincoln rather than trying to prop up Mack

3. Derek Szwed says:

i hope hive and diasy end up toghter

4. GeoDiva says:

Filler episode. Shocked that there was no Civil War tie in.

5. Maggie says:

All the May exposition in this episode makes me worry about her. If they really chop her off, this show will be dead to me. Not a lot of good things left in this show, and she is one of them.

• Ben says:

I feel like it will be May too.

Honestly, I turn to each person in the team and go… it can’t be them! I don’t want to lose Mack! I don’t want to lose Fitz or Simmons! I don’t want to lose May! I don’t want to lose Daisy or Coulson! But I can’t help but feel it’s much more likely to be one of those six. It’s going to suck.

• wrstlgirl says:

I’m the opposite :-) She’s my least favorite part of the show so, of course, I’m hoping it’s her.

• Daisy F. says:

THIS^^^. I can’t stand May and I just don’t think that Ming-Na is a very good actress–she’s completely one note. I might like May more if a different actress portrayed her.

6. Ben says:

Matt… you are epic.

That’s all.

7. Ash says:

Turning everyone into inhumans he can control isn’t flimsy. What is flimsy is Hive’s apparent lack of awareness of things going on around those he sways. Completely different issues. Also he thought the hydra guys would become inhuman. He was genuinely pissed at Radcliffe. That wasn’t a lack of control situation either. Radcliffe thought it would work. Bad recruiting? Daisy was going to kill Mack. What Hive needs is better awareness. However given last week with Simmons this seems in character for Hive to just not care about humans and what they are up to. He seems to view everyone on his side as expendable. He viewed Daisy as expendable this whole episode until she mentioned her kree blood.

8. Bwhit says:

Can I cosign on your letter as a fan of SHIELD? On another note how freaking funny was Fitz making fun of one-time-foe-we’ve-never-met Milton?!?

9. Kevin Fowler says:

That’s it Daisy and the rest of the Inhumans need to be put down like rabid dogs.

10. James D says:

ha! nicely tailored Neo costume Matt you are a delight :) and right you are but seeing as he is a primitive troglodyte with multiple personality disorder I’m not sure the old boy can read your lovely crafted letter. I also have an addendum to add for the fine folks at S.H.I.E.L.D. you folks really aught to work on your tactical awareness I mean I get it big blue space man fighting other alien who is happens to be big blues failed experiment its Ironic and it is hilarious in a Karmic justice kind of way, but now is not the time to watch the show. maybe one of your highly trained super agents could of, you know, take one of those funky disintegration grenades and perhaps throw it at the alien trying to turn the human race into lab rats. just a thought.

11. Lola says:

Ok the episode wasn’t THAT bad. I’ll admit, the forced Civil war references were, well, forced, but that isn’t SHIELD’s fault, it’s the fault of the Marvel execs who insist on Agents of SHIELD tying into evey movie no matter how awkward the tie in is, without as much as an Easter egg in return. Also, you can’t call Hive’s master plan flimsy, as the promo for next week pointed out we don’t even know the full extent of it. All we know is that he needs lots of inhumans for it. And finally to those saying this is a filler episode, what is your definition of filler episode? Because mine is an episode that does nothing to advance the plot and was made simply because the writers thought it would be cool and they needed another episode made. You want filler, watch The Flash. 50% of their season isn’t plot related. This episode wasn’t a masterpiece but it did put the pieces in place for one.

12. Cynthia says:

I think next week is the 2 hour season finale? I’m pretty sure that’s what I heard.
    I have no idea how they’re going to get Daisy’s friends to forgive her after everything she is saying and doing?!
    I can’t believe the season is already over.

13. If Daisy has Kree blood, then we have a HUGE plot hole. Kree blood makes the inhuman? Then why is Coulson NOT inhuman? GH25 is what both Coulson and Daisy got, NOT blood. Unless we’re changing the storyline. Because if GH25 IS Kree Blood, then Coulson is an Inhuman and didn’t have to lose his arm.
    If GH25 is NOT kree blood, then Daisy CAN’T help HIVE, as she has no Kree blood. I’d like an answer to this!

• xomylifexo says:

I think they both have the gh25 but I don’t think that is what makes them inhuman. Daisy was born inhuman and just never knew it until being exposed to the crystal and going through the metamorphosis.

• KatsMom says:

Coulson was going a bit crazy after the GH25 treatment. It did not have a similar effect on Daisy…presumably because she had the Inhuman DNA. After Coulson found big blue in the T.A.H.I.T.I storage area, it was suggested that GH25 was, in large part, if not entirely, Kree blood/DNA. That being said, I agree that Daisy’s making a pretty big leap suggesting that the bit she was given would alter her blood to the point of possessing the Kree DNA Hive needs for his plan.

14. Stacey says:

Love this Matt! I geeked out from Hive’s CW reference. But I agree with others, kinda a filler episode and a beyond flimsy master plan. I did feel for Mack, Lincoln, and May this episode though. Hopefully the next episode and the two hour finale will be stellar!

15. Mr Anonymous says:

Worst … Kree … Ever …

• Mr Anonymous says:

Did they even read the comic books at all? Also where was the alien tech? An axe? Really? So a thousand years ago a space traveling race comes to Earth to conduct experiments…… they return with an axe??? You’re not even trying!!!!

• Jerri says:

Well, dude in Guardians of the Galaxy had a hammer/mallet-type of thing whose powers were given due to one of the infinity gems…granted I can’t recall if he was Kree or not. Need coffee….

• Mr Anonymous says:

Ronan the Accuser. I think he is Kree.

• Paul says:

Correct. His hammer is actually called the Universal Weapon in the comics, and can do a great deal more than hit things. Much Kree technology is like that: looks retro, is more than its appearance suggests. That’s in the comics. Who knows what’s true in the movies/television?

16. lariet50 says:

Ugh. I guess I’ll catch up with the last two. I’m sorta over this show now, which sucks. But the whole reason I started watching it was for Coulson. He’s hardly in the show anymore!

17. Lily says:

Well done, Matt! They hyped up Hive so much but once again, AOS fails at writing compelling villains. The most compelling “villain” they had was Grant Ward and he was more compelling when he wasn’t labeled a villain but instead just on the fence between doing some good to help them out and perpetuating evil because he wasn’t actually a “good guy” (circa season 1 and season 2 before that kooky finale last year). Whitehall was wasted, Garrett was wasted, Raina was wasted, Daisy’s parents were wasted, Malick was wasted… Hell, all of HYDRA has been seriously wasted since season 2. The only other compelling villain they had was actually Bakshi. But again… Wasted.

This is one of those shows that has a ton of potential. They’ve got some of the coolest stories in comics at their disposal but they haven’t done anything with them.

They just recycle the same storyline over and over. We’re gonna kill Garrett and Ward. We’re gonna kill Ward. We’re gonna kill Hive. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

In season 1, they may have started out slow but when the Winter Soldier came out, they were given a chance to turn it all around. And they did. But then they wanted so badly to be relevant to the MCU so they shoehorned Inhumans into the show during season 2 thinking they’d be the ones to introduce the mutant substitutes into the MCU. And now that Marvel pulled the plug on Inhumans indefinitely, all their build up has been pointless. Because there is NO endgame here. There will be NO payoff to all this build up they did over the course of two seasons. They’re just trying to make stuff up as they go now because they don’t actually have the ending they were hoping for anymore. That was ripped away from them by the top dogs at Marvel. And it shows. It shows in the plot, in the writing and at times it even shows in their actors performances. It’s sad really. Because this show had a ton of potential back in season 1.

18. John Jacob says:

I am so sick of the Grant Ward character and Daisy interaction that I am close to tuning out. How many times can we have Grant Ward change/turn/deceive people here? All my friends who also watch it say how bad it is and it’s really laughable.

They need to kill Ward off at the finale and just move the hell on. He’s a great actor but when the arc is over the arc is over. Daisy is good, Daisy is bad, Grant is dead, Grant is back.

19. P.S. Hive, why were you so afraid of the Kree (you said so yourself) when you so easily went toe to toe with them and withstood their weapons with relative ease? Perhaps you were just outsourcing your defense to Daisy.

20. SImone says:

It turns out Hive is just as useless as Grant Ward. Maybe, Hive should of picked a better Host! :D

21. Ussapplepies says:

I haven’t given up hope. However, if FitzSimmons is no longer sciencing (nerdly saving the day, regularly) together next season I will bail, however, that hasn’t happened… yet. There have GOT to be more inhumans floating around, right? Joey, and Yoyo weren’t the only ones that had fish/fish oil before the ACTU kicked in. I hope we get to see Lash and that somehow what Simmons injected him with gives him a smidge of control so that we see him somehow save the day in the end. They need a new inhuman that can teleport like Gordon… that way the “space” scene can be a huge misdirect. I’m looking for some redemption here AoS – don’t disappoint!

22. Dee says:

I can’t take Lincoln anymore. At first, he was just bland. But now he is desperate (but doesn’t really sell it), co-dependent and whiny. I’m not sure what part he is supposed to play in the story but it’s uninteresting to me.

• unicornwasp says:

Ugh, so with you. I really hope he’s the one who dies. He’s so boring, and makes Daisy boring too.

23. Sheldon W. says:

Truly awful episode. The only really good genre ep this week was Supernatural (‘We probably need to talk.’).

I’d give this a D if I was feeling charitable (which I’m not). Epic Fail!

24. Tecks E. says:

I am totally ready for Ward and Lincoln to leave. As many have said, the Ward arc is now way over done. Lincoln just whines and has not shown any value.

I am waiting for the big “surprise” that Hive will be taken out by Lash. Remember the Dr. Garner said he/Lash was not a bad guy and was killing inhumans for some unknown reason. He also just said he feels he has a purpose. So, he was probably killing to get rid of the inhumans that would be most dangerous and his “purpose” now is to take out hive.

I really hope the show is not become that predictable.