Marvel's The Punisher Gets Series Order

Jon Bernthal is set to reprise his role as The Punisher in Netflix’s latest Marvel offshoot.

The streaming service has officially commissioned a spinoff focused on Daredevil‘s big bad, TVLine has confirmed. Hannibal scribe Steve Lightfoot will serve as executive producer.

The spinoff will mark Netflix’s sixth Marvel series, following Daredevil, Jessica Jones and upcoming releases Luke Cage, Iron Fist and The Defenders.

In January, TVLine was first to report that Netflix was mulling a Punisher spinoff.

Netflix released a teaser for the new series on Friday morning. Watch below:

Are you excited for The Punisher, or is your Marvel fatigue beginning to set in? Sound off in the comments!

1. Boone Luleyo says:

I’m excited, happy and joyous ! :D

2. Amanda says:

So happy they finally confirmed it!!! Jon was amazing as The Punisher, and I loved Thomas Jane’s version. I can’t wait to see who is casted and if it’ll have crossovers like the other Marvel Netflix shows. Plus, if season 3 of “Daredevil” and season 2 of “Jessica Jones” won’t air till 2018, the new shows, “The Defenders”, and this next year will help with the wait.

3. Theresa says:

This is great but expected news. The Punisher’s performance alone merits his own series!

4. sarah t says:

Very good news! Have they officially confirmed a 3rd season of Daredevil yet?

5. Guilherme says:

Great news.

6. Guilherme says:

I would like that Netflix / Marvel put up a schedule, like for example:
    September/2016: Luke Cake
    March/2017: Daredevil Season 3
    May/2017: Iron Fist

7. James D says:

Hell yes! can’t wait. Jon is the definitive Frank Castle so happy he gets his own show.

8. Dj says:

Can Marvel and Netflix please put out more then 2 series a year.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Netflix boss Ted Sarandos said in January, “It’s not the goal to put out more than one or two a year,” given the motion-picture quality of each series.

• Chuck says:

Probably because they cost more than a penny or dime to produce

• gcw07 says:

I know he said that, but I wonder how they can only keep it to 2 if they keep renewing these shows. I mean this year it looks like we will get Daredevil S2 and Luke Cage S1. Next year will be Iron Fist S1 and maybe Daredevil S3. Where will Punisher fit in or another season of Jessica Jones or Luke Cage or even Defenders? Seems like at one point they will have to release more then 2 a year if they intend to keep renewing them.

• Jason says:

I’m doubting we see Daredevil season 3 next year. Netflix has an obligation to complete it’s original deal, so I think next year will be Iron Fist in the spring and the Defenders in the fall. After that, the order is anybody’s guess, though I imagine Punisher might be next up to bat considering he won’t be required for the Defenders. Since everybody else will be busy working on that, they can’t do their own shows. If they don’t do Punisher at that time, they would end up with a pretty big gap between the release of Defenders and whatever came next.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

My money is on Iron First S1 / Jessica Jones S2 in 2017.

• Jason says:

I could see that. They could use Jessica Jones to lead right into the Defenders. Of course they would probably have to shoot them back to back. That would be a bit of a grind for Krysten Ritter. Even though Mike Colter shot Luke Cage right after Jessica, he was really only in a handful of episodes. Defenders will be a full time gig for all the headliners.

• Dj says:

I’m think the same thing. Iron Fist then Defenders. When ask if Jessica Jones would happen before or after Defenders JJ showrunneers said something about Defenders contractually having to film at a certain time, but they did say they didn’t know for sure.

• Dj says:

I know it just sucks because it means in some cases it will be 2+ years between seasons

9. Imzadi says:

Great news. This has me more exited than the Luke Cage series. Mike Colter was great on the Good Wife, but I didn’t care for his Luke Cage very much. Let’s see how it turns out.

10. Chuck says:

How many batches? 1? 2?

11. Liz985 says:

The Punisher/Jon Bernthal was the best part about Daredevil Season 2.

12. peterwdawson says:

Only potential bummer is with so many being produced it could take longer for one of the shows to return to the rotation or however they’re doing it. Still, quite enjoyed the Punisher and I”m game for more of him. Curious how they’ll handle him really since it’s hard for a guy who kills his enemies.

13. Tyanna says:

Yasssssss

14. mike says:

awesome

15. Jason says:

Yes! And it’s especially interesting because it’s the first character to get a show outside the initial Defenders deal that Netflix had. It makes me hopeful for other possible spin-offs down the line. We may not see this until after The Defenders though.

16. Stacey says:

Yes! The Punisher by far was my favorite part of DD S2! JB was awesome in his role!

17. Dennis says:

Best part of season 2!

18. This makes me so incredibly happy!

19. George H. says:

Okay, this makes me happy. I didn’t think Jon Bernthal would make a great Punisher, but he did an excellent job of it. Can’t wait to see the series.

20. Kevin says:

One of my favorite characters and very happy it is coming to Netflix

21. Mark says:

They need to integrate these characters into the bigger marvel universe now. If CBS and CW can bury the hatchet with the DC franchise characters so can Netflix and ABC for the benefit of the fans. It could be a great way to give some of the minor Avengers some screen time between the two.

22. Bill says:

Awesome news! Now what about Daredevil season 3?

23. Mary S says:

Regarding “The 15 Pilots we are Stoked to See” – If “Conviction” moves forward, then that means “Agent Carter” is cancelled…has this been announced? I thought it had been renewed…I happen to enjoy Agent Carter and am not certain I would watch its replacement show.

24. Jared says:

I hate to say this but The Punisher kind of stole the show during Daredevils second season. Happy to see Netflix green light his own series.

25. Rebecca says:

BEST. NEWS. EVER.

26. David Jimenez says:

Oh no I can’t get tired of marvel I’m so hyped and excited for this because I’m such a big fan of the punisher

27. Benjamin says:

This will be a great spinoff, but I wish that thy were capable of shooting multiple series at once. The fact that this will push back Daredevil Season 3 makes me wish that I could just choose DD over Punisher. I was falling in love with the series, watching it after my kids went to bed until 3am, to only find out at the end of Season 2 that it most likely won’t come back for a few years.
    I think they’re getting over their heads with all of these spin offs, if they can’t release them at the same times each year (at least). It’s aggravating being a fan and having to wait several years for a TV show because they can’t handle multiple projects at once.

• Anna says:

Completely agree. This only two seasons a year spread out over six shows is going to make people start losing interest – especially if a show has great momentum. Seems like an awful business move to add more shows if you can’t handle the ones you already have. Some people have trouble remembering everything that happened last year on their favorite shows – but two or three years between seasons? Bad move, Netflix.

28. Mike says:

I could never get bored with the expansion of the MCU!
    Just a shame something can’t be sorted to bring home all the other heroes!!!