Sarah Ramirez Leaving Grey's Anatomy

Grey's Anatomy: Did Sara Ramirez Just Announce Her Departure?

Is Grey’s Anatomy is about to weather another major cast shakeup?

On Wednesday afternoon, Sara Ramirez — who has played Callie Torres for more than a decade — posted a message on Twitter that has fans wondering if she’ll be returning for the ABC drama’s recently-ordered 13th season.

It’s entirely possible Ramirez was simply celebrating her final day of work on Season 12 (Grey’s is currently in production on its May 19 season finale). It’s also possible the actress — whose contract is set to expire in June — was looking to increase her negotiations leverage. And then there’s the possibility that she has, in fact, decided to call it quits.

RELATED Grey’s Anatomy Cast Hints at ‘Potential Disaster’ in Season Finale

In a possibly telling sign, Ramirez’s personal reps have not responded to TVLine’s multiple requests for comment. An ABC rep, meanwhile, did get back to us, but declined to comment on the matter.

If Ramirez does opt to hang up her scrubs, this would mark the third major Grey’s exit in as many seasons, following the departures of Sandra Oh (in Season 10) and Patrick Dempsey (in Season 11).

Ramirez, who joined Grey’s in its second season, is one of several longtime cast members whose contracts are set to expire at season’s end. Her longtime scene partner Jessica Capshaw, however, is not one of them. As TVLine exclusively reported, Capshaw inked a new three-year deal with the show last May.

On-screen, Ramirez’s Callie is gearing up for a heated custody battle with Capshaw’s Arizona, one triggered by Callie’s desire to follow current squeeze Penny to New York with her and ‘Zona’s daughter.

Thoughts? Are you bummed to see another Grey’s vet check out? Care to predict how Callie will be written out? Hit the comments!

1. Lauren says:

I guess Callie is going to die in a landslide. RIP.

• Will says:

^LMAO. Thissss. Then they’ll do a time jump and Arizona will be in a new relationship with her child at her side…

• Shaun says:

nah,it’s her turn to experience a plane crash,she missed out.

• rebecca says:

I am starting to think Callie might seriously die. After seeing how many deaths are coming, I remember Ellen Pompeo tweeted out that in episode 1222 – Jessica Capshaw is going to break our hearts. Lorddddd.

2. Cranky says:

NNNOOOO!! I love Callie!! 😢

3. Rob says:

She hash tagged Season 13, I took that to mean as she’s looking forward to Season 13 and she wrapped Season 12

4. Lauren says:

Please don’t kill her! Let her go to NY with Penny and Sophia can split her time and Arizona will name drop Callie every once in a while. But don’t kill off another one of that kid’s parents! It’s too much.

• Anna says:

Right? I was just thinking how many of Sofia’s parents is Shonda gonna kill? This poor girl has already been through enough.
      Sigh, I miss Mark.

5. Lauren says:

But she really could just be talking about wrapping this season right? A lot of people do that.

6. Andrew Hass says:

I’m thinking Callie will be going to New York with Penny as the season ends but the door might be left open for her to return next season.As for Sara Ramirez, i wish her all the best and i can understand her wanting to do other stuff.Plus maybe Callie been gone frees up Arizona in a way.

7. ZiaS says:

Just please no. They keep adding so many new characters without knowing what to do with them & let the veterans go. I’d rather they focus on the longtime cast. Callie’s SL until now has been dull for this season but the custody stuff seems interesting (even though I dont want Calzona back together). I hope this isnt a way to write her off, it’ll be very underwhelming.

• ZiaS You are right about adding to many new characters. Over the years there has been more then 40 with 20 still on the show with some of these sorta new.Now they are adding a sister for Owen who by the way I wish was written off years ago. I’m really tired of his moody temper. Alex and Jo need a lot of happy endings and more air time. I hated it when Lexie left but not when Cristina did. There is a lot of story lines left for the regulars, no need for more

• Sandy says:

Not only his moodiness and temper, but it nauseates me to watch him kiss his main squeeze. It’s like he’s trying to swallow her entire head!

• Amy says:

OMG I always say the same thing. It’s gross and I truly hope for his wife’s sake that’s not how he kisses in real life

8. Whatevah says:

This sounds like a good-bye not a have a nice summer. I’m shocked!

9. With the #Season13, I’m assuming she’s sticking around.

10. Lea says:

It feels more like a goodbye, plus she wrapped up too early.. hmm. Sara is interested in Broadway, and I can totally see her leave the show, it’s not like she did anything big in the last 2 seasons, especially this season with the Penny storyline.
    Plus this custody battle screams exit.. it’s hard to see Calzona coming back from this, without a reunion feeling forced, and if she had to leave this storyline was needed, on where Sofia’s going.

11. Gospino says:

So basically we know nothing for sure. I love the Chicken Little reactions on here, though. :D

12. Olivia says:

As much as I love Ramirez and her acting, Callie is not a character I would miss.
    If that clears the way for Arizona to have a new woman in her life (and shift the lesbian focus quota from Callie to her) I’ll be in next season.

13. Jessica says:

Sara is great, but I can’t say that I will miss Callie if she leaves.

• kimberly cooper says:

LOVE CALLIE I BELIEVE SOPHIA BELONGS WITH HER NATURAL MOTHER NOT LEFT BEHIND WITH ARIZONA BECAUSE IF YOU REMEMBER ARIZONA DID NOT WANT CHILDREN CALLIE WAS THE ONE WHO BEGGED FOR MONTHS FOR A CHILD THAT ARIZONA REFUSED CALLIE SO THAT’S WHEN MCSTEAMY HELPED CALLIE OUT BECAUSE OF HIS DESIRES TO BE A FATHER AND SLOANS ALREADY DEAD AND GONE AND YOU CAN NOT TAKE CALLIE AWAY FROM SOPHIA TOO THAT WOULD JUST BE WRONG KILL OFF ARIZONA SHE HAS ALWAY’S BEEN MEAN AND UNAPOLOGETIC TO CALLIE FOR ALL SHE HAS DONE TO HER AND PUT HER THROUGH

• Coralie says:

Sloan didnt help Callie out because of his desire to help or be a father. Sophia was a surprise pregnancy. Also why do people always insist because Arizona didnt want kids she shouldnt have Sophia. Once she got over the shock of the pregnancy- she wanted Sophia despite the circumstances and has been nothing but a loving mother since. She adipted Sophia and has as much right to her as Callie does.

• Sandy says:

Don’t you just hate yellers?! Arizona changed her mind well before Callie got pregnant. I can’t remember the exact season, but in one of the finales when the psychopath shot up the hospital and killed a lot of people, at the very end, Callie and Arizona were standing outside and Arizona said, “Yes, I’ll have babies with you. I want to have 10 babies with you.”

For the yeller: like Dr. Phil says, “There’s two sides to a pancake.” You can’t unilaterally decide that Arizona hurt Callie more than Callie hurt Arizona. They hurt each other in many, many ways. The bottom line is that Arizona legally adopted Sofia and has as many rights as Callie. They’ve both been less than adequate wives to each other. That doesn’t mean that they BOTH don’t love their daughter and are not good mothers. Please get your facts straight and quit trying to manipulate the lies to suit your agenda!

• Biya says:

I think the judge did the correct thing here by granting custody to Arizona. Callie was going to move to NY with Penny and uproot Sophia from everything she knew — her home, her friends, her school, etc. If she went with Callie to NY, she would be the new kid in town — no permanent home, no friends, new school and a mother who worked and left her home with a sitter in a place she didn’t know….. Arizona, while not being the “natural” mother, was still in Seattle where Sophia was “at home”.

14. EM says:

Hoping its a negotiation tactic. While not technically an original, I’ve grandfathered her in as one and she would be missed. IF she is being written out at least Penny would be gone too…right?

• Mary says:

If this is the way to get rid of Penny I am all for it. This character has never caught on for me. I really wouldn’t miss Callie if she does leave, but if she looses the custody case I really don’t think she would leave her child behind.

15. msstargate says:

I really hope this is not true. Callie is one of my favorites since she started.

Penny on the other hand..Yuck!

16. Brandi says:

I’m not shocked, I mean they have been writing about her leaving with Penny. I realize that doesn’t make it so and maybe she would have stayed because of the custody battle. But I’ve been wondering for the past 2 weeks of Sara was leaving the show and it just wasn’t announced. I’ll be sad, she’s always been one of my favorites on the show. I hope it’s not a good bye, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

17. Layla says:

I would personally like to see Callie & Penny leave for NY & that be the end of it.
    Character development for both of them is stagnant. Penny was a doc that ‘killed Derek’ & was more of a development for Merediths character than anything else.
    Callie has never been a strong lead & story lines have always been her being around for others.
    When around the plane crash ep she mentioned she had been married to George & when she was upset about Dereks death… it was like oh yeah you married him & oh yeah you did that trial with him.
    In contrast I hated Arizona but she has grown & has depth now & I want to watch her journey continue.. not interested in Callie (or Penny) anymore though.
    But Ill be pissed with another main dying. Too much.

18. Grey says:

NOOOOOOOO! Is there any update on Ellen Pompeo’s contract?

• kn1231 says:

I haven’t heard anything official about Ellen P yet, but her interview on the Ellen Show this past week made it seem like she wasn’t going anywhere. Also, why would they be having her do press for the show if she is leaving at the end of this season. So I’m 99% sure we’ll see her next season.

• Anna says:

I don’t think the show would survive for long if Mer leaves. Too many of the beloved veteran cast members have left, and she has always been at the center of it all. But with Mark, Cristina, Derek, Izzie, Addison, etc. all gone, with Bailey acting nothing like the character that everyone loved for so long, and with the writers’ inability to give the wonderful Alex any substantive and sustaining material, this show would lose way too many viewers with an Ellen Pompeo exit.
      Plus, I think Ellen gets paid too much and seems to enjoy being on the show too much to leave right now. She is making bank on this show, and idk if she would be getting that many offers elsewhere. It would be smart of her to ride Grey’s out for at least a few more seasons.

• Dany Dorantes says:

Ellen Pompeo’s won’t go, even she said its the best and perfect Job she ever had she’s the main character. I think if she go they would cancelled the tv program or finish it.

19. Nikki says:

Someone on twitter posted a screen shot of a tweet she sent when a previous season wrapped and it was the same kind of thing. Combine that with her mentioning S13 and I think she’ll be back.

20. Larc says:

Although it’s a waste of excellent talent, the Callie character has become very boring, IMO. So unless there are plans to change that, I really wouldn’t miss her if she moves to NYC with Penny and we never hear from either of them again.

21. Alex says:

Come on, it’s just another Shonda’s trick to get the viewers for the season finale.

22. Leanne says:

Rachelle Lefevre would be great. same coloring. hate to see Sara leave. hope she stays.

23. Anna says:

If Callie is gone, I’m out. She’s my favorite of those left. And I will never forgive Shonda if she leaves to be with Penny. I don’t even hate Penny, but she and Callie do not work as a couple. No chemistry at all.

24. Sarah says:

A writer from the show also mentioned Sara in something that said something like, Going to miss Dr Callie Torres #sad

25. :( says:

MY FAVORITE CHARACTER!?!? NOOOOOOOOOOO! First George, now Callie???

26. I used to watch the show, but it became boring so I stopped watching. After reading some of the comments, I haven’t missed much and glad I stopped watching.

27. robandco says:

While her character hasn’t been up to much lately, Sara is a real asset for Grey’s. It would be sad to see her leave. Callie has never been my favorite but she’s fun, and she’s tied to a lot of people. If she has to go PLEASE don’t kill her. She can be back at some point (milestone episodes or series finale, if it ever happens).

28. K.D.S. says:

At this point of the show i don’t think it really matters who’s leaving. Except for Meredith and maybe Alex. The show survived a lot of cast departures, like Derek or Christina, who were more beloved and it’s still on air. And even if i like Callie, i wouldn’t really miss her. The cast is too big anyway.

29. csr says:

I could do without her.

30. K says:

Sara tweets something similar to that at the end of every season.

31. tahimar says:

Sara is trolling, I think, and with Shonda’s blessing. Furthermore, this would’ve been a huge spoiler with everything that is going on with Calzona. Smells May sweeps!

32. Kathy Bergeron says:

Honestly I think I am beyond caring. The show has kind of run its course and needs to come to a close.

33. A fan of TV says:

No! Just please no. Why hashtag with Season 13 if she won’t ever be in it? Hope it’s nothing, or a false flag. Really. I’d lose Derek a second time, to another semi truck, but would very much like Callie to stay.

34. annamae says:

Amelia and Owen are not a good match…. I DO NO LIKE AMELIA she is a cry baby & complains too much….. I had to say that!! Callie has NEVER been a lead character and now with Penny she is drowning bc Penny is not a strong character. I wouldn’t really miss Callie. Some others could go before Callie in my opinion , but I think with the current storyline Callie IS leaving.
    I believe she will probably receive sole custody of Sofia and will leave for NYC with Penny and live happily ever after. Arizona will stay behind, broken, missing Sofia. I think Owen’s sister will show up and will have become a lesbian. Her and Arizona will lean on each other and fall in love.
    This is my predictions.

35. If ABC is having $$$ problems that prompted Kata Stanic’s firing on Castle, isnt it possible all the ABC dramas are facing the same $$$crunch and therefore, contracts expiring are bubble-worthy?

• Katie T says:

ABC isn’t having money problems generally. It’s just that Castle is an expensive old show that simply doesn’t get good ratings any more so ABC won’t justify spending the same amount of money on it as they have done previously. They aren’t going to cut anyone on Grey’s for financial purposes because it still gets the ratings and sells internationally to justify it’s cost

36. Callie gets on a plane with Sophia and the red head, it gets hit by a bus on the runway, and careens into a gas truck delivering jet fuel, and the three of them go up in a fiery ball of flames, and poor AZ wrings the tears out of us with the news. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

37. Ang says:

I think Sara will be there next season. Penny’s reactions to Arizona’s plight on tonight’s show made me believe she would be the bigger person and leave Callie behind.
    As far as Owen’s sister, I vote for Felicia Day! Perhaps, she will be bi-sexual like Callie. But, I honestly see her becoming more of an obstacle between April and Jackson – cause no way is that suddenly going to run smoothly.

38. rubyblu56 says:

I miss izzy 😥

39. Sara Boss says:

I would love to see her die off…

40. MEB says:

Next week’s preview has her saying she’s goi ng to New York. I think she will be off the show or in and out by reference only. The custody is being decided next episode too. “The court grants full custody to……… .”

41. Deborah Rogers says:

Grey’s has lost it’s best actors, one by one over the past several seasons! I still watch, but really not in love with the show like at the beginning!

42. Donna Szestakow says:

You cannot let Callie go!!! She is just as important to the show as Meredith is, her and Alex are two that tell it like it is no matter how sweet or bad things are.

43. Preston says:

Callie (Sara/Sada Ramirez)Torres, one hot chick, will be written out as going to NY. Going back a few years, Sada reminds me of Katie Jurada, beautiful actress.

44. Diane says:

No no no, I love her. She’s such a great actress. Going to miss her.

45. amaretta says:

Gad this show has become boring. I swore off the show when Sandra Oh was done, but I’ve hung in to see the series finale, and now another season? Nah, I’m done. Sara’s character had me captivated from the start. She was a breath of fresh air with her beauty, candor, and grounded spirit. I wish wonderful things for her career and very glad that she is potentially done with this series where her character has been slowly atrophying.

46. I think Callie will get “her” daughter. But something tragic will happen .

47. Pamela Fleitas says:

Too many good people have died on the show. I lost all interest and stopped watching after Dr. Shepard died.

48. Kim says:

This whole storyline rings very false to me, so although I love Sara, I kind of wish it was done just because she is leaving. To me, that’s the best explanation for the Callie character causing such a disruption to spend only a year with her new girlfriend.

49. Katyes says:

Why just can’t there be one couple that’s gonna make it to the “happily ever after”?Callie and Arizona would deserve it after all they’ve been through. I don’t know why Shonda always break up the Great couples of the show. The Show went wrong at the point where Arizona had to lose her leg…after that the two characters – Callie and Arizona – just changed so much!

50. Kristin says:

Let the redhead from Game of Thrones- Jon Snows woman- play Owen’s sister.