Alec Baldwin Match Game

Match Game Revival Ordered at ABC, With Alec Baldwin to Host

Match Game fans will be so happy with this news, they may squirt ____ out their noses. [Cue funky thinking music…]

ABC has ordered a 10-episode revival of the 1960s/70s/80s game show, with 30 Rock grad Alec Baldwin set as host.

As first reported by Vulture, the upcoming reboot will debut as part of a Sunday-night programming block that already includes Celebrity Family Feud (hosted by Steve Harvey) and The $100,000 Pyramid (to be hosted by Michael Strahan). Much like the original program, Baldwin will serve as emcee while contestants try to guess how a celebrity panel will answer comical fill-in-the-blank questions.

Baldwin is donating his hosting fee to the Hilaria and Alec Baldwin Foundation, which supports arts-related charities.

Match Game first launched on NBC in 1962 with host Gene Rayburn and went on to spawn nearly a dozen revivals both in primetime and in syndication. This latest incarnation is set to debut June 26 at 10/9c.

Will you tune in for the Baldwin-fronted reboot?

1. Luis says:

Having every other answer be “boobs” is going to seem so passe in the 21st century

2. . (@yikes77) says:

He NEEDS to do his impression of Charles Nelson Reiley at least once!

• Elf says:

This was my first thought as well. Let someone else host for one episode and Baldwin can take Reilly’s old spot and stay in character for the entire episode.

Also, no skinny mic, no show!

3. Ralph says:

Would love this except I CANT STAND Baldwin!

• Matt Ceccato says:

My tolerance for Alec Baldwin ebbs and flows, but I hear where you’re coming from. The only thing is, who can replace Brett Somers, Charles Nelson Reilly, and Richard Dawson? Maybe if “Weird Al” Yankovic appears as CNR, that might work…

• PaisleyPark says:

I love Match Game! And yes, Charles and Brett sitting together was the best! They were so silly…like 2 class clowns. And I loved Richard, too, because he always tried to come up with sensible answers to help the contestant win. They were such a fun bunch!

• Rob Horine says:

Replace Brett with Charisma Carpenter
        Replace CNR with Ross Mathews
        Replace Richard Dawson with Nathan Fillion
        Replace Alec Baldwin with Mike Catherwood until they can clone a new Gene Rayburn.

• Lyn says:

My ideal panel would be top row:
          Rick Fox
          Wanda Sykes
          Ross Matthews
          Lower level:
          Megyn Price
          Billy Gardell
          Kelly Bishop

• Rob Horine says:

Let’s just stick with the three permanents (BS, CNR, RD). Fox Sykes and Pryce are excellent in rotation in 4th seat. Gardell is a excellent permanent 5th seat. Sixth seat should be a little ‘out there’ (IE: Patty Dutche, Betty White, Fannie Flagg), use the 6th seat for random female comics, Carrie Keegan for that Fannie Flagg vide and Molly Quinn for the Patty Dutche role.

The two worst parts of MG98 is that there were 5 seats, 4 permanents and for some time Rick Fox was in the guest seat and he SUCKED BALLS!

4. Eckesg1 says:

Key to a Match Game revival is the chemistry of the celebrities with the contestants, Baldwin, and each other. If they get the right people, it could really work

• Rob Horine says:

The chemestiry that Gene Rayburn had with the contestants and the celebs were once in a life time. Ross Vallory and Michael Burger gave it good tries, but couldn’t do it. Alec Baldwin will go down as MG’s worst host.

5. Jennifer says:

I think I like this new block of programming. I remember watching Match Game with my grandma … it was always so funny. Even in reruns (on GSN) it gets laughs.

Betty White was part of the celebrity panel answering. PLEASE say we can get her back. That would be AWESOME!!!

6. readenreply says:

Dumb Dora the network executive was so dumb (how dumb was she?), that she scheduled a ________ game show during sunday night “family hour”

7. Ninamags says:

Omg! This will be epic!

I love Match Game. Love the Pyramid as well.

If only Family Feud would stop being so trashy and low-class. Seriously, some of the answers to those questions go beyond the pale. It makes me wonder who they get to answer those surveys.

8. Rob Horine says:

I thought that Match Game 98 was bad. This is gonna be worse. Gene Rayburn, Brett Sommers and Charles Nelson Reily are spinning in the graves right now.

9. Anne says:

We’ve had a successful Match Game reboot running in Canada for a few years now.
    Alec Baldwin is an awful choice. He lacks the quick wit required for the role…and he’s a little creepy. Interacting with young female guests will feel weird

10. LT says:

Don’t try and modernize…if you don’t have a similar feeling set and the SAME music…I’m not interested.

11. AngelWasHere says:

I loved Match Game. Use to watch it on GSN with my grandmother. Alec Baldwin sounds like a bad choice for a host imo. He’s not very likeable considering his past temper tantrums. I hope he proves me wrong. I’ll tune in for a peek at it. Hopefully they pick some good celebs too.

12. lindae5o says:

I guess Baldwins’ movie career has tanked.

13. HAP says:

I am curious about the chain of the so-called hosting fees. Does ABC pay Baldwin, who then gets the tax write off, or does ABC make direct payment to the foundation?

14. mary says:

They just need to pick the right people. Dawson was always my favorite. Ricky Gervais would be great.

15. Jim says:

When will these people learn? After a dozen reboots, you’d think they would realize that the magic of 1970s Match Game had nothing to do with the game–it was the chemistry of the stars. Gene, Richard, Brett and Charles, of course, with the right mix of rotating guest stars and the occasional one-time guest (usually in the “babe seat” to Richard’s right) conducting what was basically a televised party. The contestants were just…well, invited to join the party. You can’t replicate such chemistry in ten episodes, even if the panel were getting drunk on the lunch break like the originals were. The euphemisms the original panelists used instead of ‘going blue’ were also part of its charm, but nowadays there’s no barrier to saying things that might get you bleeped. This actually makes the panelists’ answers *less* funny, IMO, because the originals had to be clever/witty in their double entendre. Just blurting out ‘boobs’ is a lot less clever. Add to that the inability of game shows to attract true celebrity guest stars (I envision reality TV has-beens and a few stand-up comics on the panel) and this will be….about as lousy as the past couple of attempts. And Alec Baldwin is just icing on the cow patty. I haven’t liked him since Julie Harris shouted him off that rooftop on Knots Landing.

• Brian Shivak says:

I totally agree with your statement

• AngelWasHere says:

I have to agree. You hit the nail on the head actually. The wit and chemistry of the original was what made the show. I can’t see this latest reboot capturing that with how TV is now.

• NJMark says:

The 70s version was quite raunchy, but the raunch was always in the mind. I have a feeling the new version is going to write questions so that the answer will often be “PENIS!!”

16. Brian Shivak says:

Nope. Gene Rayburn is the best host and is much better than Alec Baldwin

• Rob Horine says:

You meant to say that Gene Rayburn was the greatest game show host of all time and Baldwin couldn’t carry Gene’s jock strap or CNRs Jock!

BTW, when I was a kid watching Match Game PM, I thought CNR and Brett were married. OH HOW LITTLE I KNEW!

17. Todd says:

I would have Kathy Griffin and Brice Villanch for the Brett/CNR combo. Put Colin Mochrie for Dawson’s seat.

18. Adam Goldman says:

I was a big fan of the original, and I even own DVD’s of it. I don’t think this will work somehow, as the last few revivals failed. Stars Rayburn, Nelson Reiley and Sommers are no longer with us. I will give it a shot and check it out. I do admire that Baldwin is donating his salary to charity.