Fall TV: 15 Pilots We Can't Wait to See!

The Upfronts are coming! The Upfronts are coming!

Yes, we’re just a couple weeks away from that mid-May extravaganza in which ABC, CBS, The CW, Fox and NBC will unveil their schedules for the 2016-2017 TV season — including the fledgling projects they’ve ordered to series.

We’ve got a complete rundown of every pilot ordered by the Big Five right here, but the fact that Fox this week gave early series commitments to 24: Legacy and Lee Daniels’ Star got me pondering which combinations of writers, stars and concepts I’m most hoping will serendipitously collide and make future series magic.

Mind you, I haven’t seen any of the 15 potential series on my shortlist — though one of ’em already has a spot on its network’s lineup — but if the other 14 make the cut, believe you me, I will be buying a short stack of PowerBall tickets and booking a lengthy stay at a Cancun resort during the slowest TV weeks of July and August.

Check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — to see which pilots have me excited, then hit the comments and share which projects you’re hoping will be on your DVR come the fall!

1. c-mo says:

I would watch almost anything with Alan Tudyk in it, especially a comedy, he is hilarious!!!

2. Joey says:

Waitaminute….”led by Dylan Bruce”? The guy barely has enough charisma to sustain a supporting role, much less a leading one.

• Temperance says:

Does it matter if you are that exquisitely beautiful? He’s fine as an actor, and he has considerable other assets to bring to the table. Many more that are on TV have much less.

• Lyn says:

That would have been my comment regarding Michael Weatherly. He can’t carry a show. He’s the fairly interesting sidekick. He has even less appeal as a leading man than Paul Michael Glaser. I do agree about Dylan though.

• Cas says:

I love him! I just started Orphan Black and I surely hope he remains in it :(.

3. Darlene says:

I loved that you’re excited about Bull, Michael Weatherly’s pilot, but he’s not playing Dr. Phil. He’s playing consultant Jason Bull, based on Dr. Phil’s early career. It seems to me that there’s a difference.
    I’m hoping Bull will go to series….and that you love the pilot!

4. Ian says:

Midnight Texas sounds a lot like The Gates, which I miss.

• Temperance says:

I wish we would have gotten more idea about where he Gates was going. It seemed to start out about the ‘normal’ couple and kids, but it really has nothing to do with them. I found it difficult to figure out the point of the show, but I certainly liked the rest of it. It was a guilty pleasure.

5. Murica! says:

The only one I’m interested in is the kicker.

6. Mariolyne says:

OK maybe there are all good tvshow in this list…but there isn’t CruelTv and that’s hurt me…. I hope you add this on list…😑😑😑😑😑

7. Steven says:

I’m really hoping for The Jury with Archie Panjabi and Guilt with Katherine Heigl and Laverne Cox.

8. Kevin K says:

The only pilot I’m looking forward to is TIME and if it gets picked up as a series, this could be a breakout hit for NBC.

• Jennifer says:

isn’t this just a rehash of Legends of Tomorrow? Don’t get me wrong. I’ll watch it, but it sounds like LoT

9. AddiM says:

Calling it now…Casey Wilson & Geoff Stults shows will be cancelled by mid season…

10. kirads09 says:

Conviction (Love Hayley – hope there is still hope for Agent Carter though)
    Riverdale (a die hard Archie fan, interested to see how this is done)
    Drew
    Untitled Mars Project

11. Grace says:

How is Cruel Intentions not on this list??? I mean, your list so fair enough, but I thought TV Line and I were firmly united in our love of all things Sarah Michelle Gellar. :) I’m looking forward to a lot of these as well.

12. fernando933 says:

I think ABC should pick up Conviction, Broken, & Designated Survivor.

13. Ash says:

– Marvels Most Wanted!!

14. pAloma says:

Torn about Michael Weatherly’s new show. I love him but detest Dr. Phil.

And not at all looking forward to Nancy Drew, even though I have loved the books my whole life. I just don’t see Sarah Shahi as Nancy, even though I have loved her in other roles. And J just don’t think that is where Nancy would wind up.

15. Yuck says:

I was part of a test audience for “Randall & Hilda Are Not a Couple” and it was just awful. Decent idea for a show, terrible execution.

16. Temperance says:

Sign me up for Time, Mars, and Midnight Texas (despite being set in Texas – bleeck).

17. Sarah D says:

Powerless, Midnight Texas, a maybe on Conviction. The premise for Time sounds too much like the Lengends of Tomorrow (Vandal Savage) on the CW but will give it a shot if does get picked up.

18. tallsy says:

What about Time After Time? How can you beat Freddie Stroma AND Josh Bowman?

19. Ian says:

I don’t care about any of these but really do hope ABC’s Pearl gets picked up.

20. Jake says:

Hail Mary is the only comedy I’m interested in … Pearl at the Drama department. Nothing else seems interesting enough (the Dr. Phil show seems BORING)

21. mike says:

There really is no originality left in Hollywood is there? One network has Damage Control so another network has to do Powerless. Exactly the same premise. EXACTLY. One network has Legends of tomorrow so another one immediately has to do something with the stupidest title ever TIME. They can’t even come up with a halfway original title for heavens sake.

22. jj says:

The only two I will give a try is Drew and Bull.

23. Joey Padron says:

I’m interested to see Powerless and Hail Mary cause Danny Pudi, Casey Wilson, and Retta are in it. May check out Riverdale if the the trailer for the show looks good. I’m excited to see the trailers for new shows next month during upfronts week!

24. yes says:

I’m looking forward to seeing them all. You can’t decide on what you like if you don’t at least check out a couple of episodes.

25. GraceM says:

Now I know why NBC broke up Tony and Laura. The actor is getting his own show. While I wish him luck, I hope if it doesn’t do well, he’ll return to The Mysteries of Laura (assuming the show gets a third season).

26. Ally Oop says:

I have 17 pilots that made my interested list but only 3 coincide with yours–Shots Fired, Midnight Texas and Drew. The top 5 best-sounding pilots, in my humble opinion, are Recon, Still Star-Crossed, Star, Time After Time and Spark.

27. Lora says:

No Making History? I thought the Adam Pally – Leighton Meester comedy had promise based on the premise.

28. Luis says:

Isn’t “Time” just Legends of Tomorrow without super powers? On the other hand, “The Enforcers:” you had me at Niecy Nash

29. Bianca says:

I so want to see Powerless!! Make it happen NBC!

30. Ron says:

I’ll definitely check out a few of these. Truth be told, I’m not sure of Hail Mary’s chances of making it in the long run, but I’ll certainly be all there for it as long as it is on, because I love Casey Wilson, and I love Retta, and I LOVE Jackee! All the yes. Also, my love for Danny Pudi is certain to draw me to Powerless.

31. Jared says:

I’m really looking forward to Matt Lanters Time Travel pilot and a couple of the pilots from The CW(Riverdale..Frequency..Transylvania and the Kevin Williamson produced one). Why do I always feel like The CW shows are always the ones I’m most excited for?