Hairspray Live Cast

Hairspray Live Adds Derek Hough, Martin Short to Its Growing Cast

Derek Hough is following — and, of course, dancing — in his sister’s footsteps.

Just three months after Julianne Hough blew audiences away as Grease: Live‘s Sandy, NBC has announced that her brother is joining its upcoming live production of Hairspray as TV host Corny Collins. (Fun fact: One of Hough’s Dancing With the Stars partners was Ricki Lake, who starred in John Waters’ original 1988 film!)

Martin Short, meanwhile, will play Wilbur Turnblad, the doting husband of Edna (played in NBC’s production by Harvey Fierstein) and father of Tracy (yet to be cast).

As previously announced, Jennifer Hudson will play Motormouth Maybelle, and Grease: Live‘s Alex Rudzinski is coming on board to direct. The curtains will rise on Dec. 7.

In the 2007 film version of Hairspray, the roles of Corny and Wilbur were played by James Marsden and Christopher Walken, respectively.

Your thoughts on Hough and Short joining the Hairspray gang? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. iHeart says:

oh I would have thought that they would have cast Hough as Link Larkin or something, hey that reminds me they should get a glee cast member to do this (Hey why not, Matthew Morrison was Link the OBC of Hairspray)

• Andy Swift says:

I feel like we were able to pretend Aaron Tveit was a high schooler in Grease… but Matthew Morrison would be a stretch.

• iHeart says:

I never said he should be in THIS production, I meant get a glee cast member to play him (and yes I do agree with a couple of posters, I would have cast Monteith too if he were still here)

2. Jake L. says:

Matthew Morrison is too old for Link now, but it would have been really cool to see him as Corny, although that won’t happen now that Derek Hough has that role. Cory Monteith would have been an excellent Link, were he still here.

• Sandy Duncan's Eye on Network TV says:

Matthew Morrison was only 3 years older than Corey Monteith. Both would have been too old for Link. Derek Hough is about as charisma free as his sister…ugh. The most crucial casting will be Tracy…let’s hope they do well with that.

• Lorena says:

Maybe Kevin (Artie) from glee,i mean he is good looking and we know he can dance ans sing very well

3. Magali says:

Yes, I love Martin Short! I often associate the word corny with Hough, so it might be a good fit!

4. dan says:

Does Derek Hough sing? Granted, the part of Corny Collins doesn’t have to be played by a great singer, but he has two songs in the show so the actor needs to be a passable singer especially since this will be live.

5. Will says:

ugh Hollywood STOP trying to make the Houghs happen!

6. Lorena says:

Martin Short= perfect
    And before i read, i knew Derek was Corny Collins

7. jr. says:

Supergirl’s Jeremy Jordan would have made a good Corny. But regardless of who they cast, I hope they have the same production team who put on Grease Live.

8. readenreply says:

Next role to be “star cast” Velma Von Tussle… any ideas? Amy Poehler?

9. dv says:

Link will probably be based on how old they cast Tracy. Even though she portrays a teen sometimes the Tracy is a lot older. So it would make sense to cast a Link that is similar in age but I hope the go young. I just hope they don’t pull some no name guy from the voice.

All else aside Jane Krakowski MUST be Miss Baltimore Crabs herself Velma Von Tussle

10. mc says:

I was hoping Zac Efron can be Corny Collins. Hey, can Derek sing?
    Martin Short, yaaasss!!!

11. Lauren Allred says:

Jane Krosowski as Velma, Jeremy Jordan as Link, Who as Tracy though?

12. Jennifer says:

Hmmm, I figured they’d cast Derek as Link, but I think he’ll be a great Corny.

Really surprised by all the hate for Julianne and Derek Hough. They’re both very talented…Isn’t that what’s supposed to matter?

13. Margaret o'neill says:

It’s a shame that, because of we have free of speech in the US, that people can be so callas about someone they don’t personally know, on the Internet. Derek you are a amazing dancer and entertainer, and I will be looking forward to seeing you on Hairspray Live!

14. ceebee says:

I agree with previous comments – Hough = Ugh!!!