Michael Strahan Exit Date Live

Michael Strahan Poised to Make Very Premature Exit From Live

Now that the Live With Kelly and Michael “nightmare” is over, departing host Michael Strahan will take a little time to process things, himself.

Strahan’s last Live broadcast will be May 13, ABC confirms to our sister site Variety. Initially, the former NFL star was expected to sit alongside co-host Kelly Ripa into the summer months. Per a People report, the moved-up exit date will allow Strahan to take the summer off before debuting as a Good Morning America regular in the fall.

The news of his imminent job change, made after last Tuesday’s Live and shared with Ripa shortly before the general public found out, reportedly caught her unawares. Her absence Wednesday through Monday (part of which, the network says, was a planned vacation), she told staffers in an email, gave her time to “process” the upcoming shake-up.

After a personal apology from Disney-ABC top brass, Ripa returned to her daytime talk show on Tuesday. After walking out hand-in-hand with Strahan and explaining her time away from the chatfest, Ripa said, “I am thrilled for Michael. I am thrilled for you. This is a tremendous opportunity and I couldn’t be, and we couldn’t be, prouder of you and everything we’ve accomplished together.”

Strahan’s earlier-than-planned exit also gives Live a little extra time to find a replacement for him.

Are you bummed to hear that Strahan will leave in May? Are you happy to see him go? Sound off in the comments!

1. AL says:

No offense, these people act like their job hosting a hour show making millions is so hard. Time to process??? Really, most people who get laid off go looking for a job ASAP. No time to “process” it.

• Walkie says:

Spoiled rich folks. They think they are solving world hunger. It’s a terrible morning talk show. Someone we will all be able to move on.

• Belle says:

I agree, they should be thankful for all they have and that they have a good job. So many American’s have been out of work for years, and Kelly and Michael make millions each and every year. Just more spoiled people who appear to have that “I’m entitled to life” going on. They should be ashamed of themselves, stop being so petty and get out of the sandbox!! Shows you just how disconnected so many celebrities really are!!

• Debbie Davis says:

Seems to me Belle that you consider yourself the entitled one. They are doing their job. Gee, it pays more than yours. Get over it! Don’t get me wrong, I can’t stand celebrities. but when you don’t like something don’t watch it, or use it, or shop there. Whatever fits.

• mcwilson says:

Hallelujah! Sound like jealously to me.start today and maybe you could be in her position in 26 plus years. Doubt it. Her father was a bus driver, and she’s a Jersey girl. Sounds entitled to me, or maybe just talented and hard working.

• David4 says:

Yeah I thought the whole thing is ridiculous, then I remembered that the show is still on the air and needs the ratings. The last week is just a ratings slump. He gave more than 2 weeks notice for leaving a job, it’s no big deal.

• Charlie from Revolution STINKS says:

Agree! I’m sure his last day can’t come soon enough. He was doing everyone a courtesy for staying as long as he initially said. But seeing how Kelly reacted, he wants to “Peace Out!” ASAFP!

• Donna says:

So right. I know people this very week who are facing life and death issues. This is so NOT important. Celebrities think the world revolves around them. They think the wisdom of the world is theirs. This country would be so much better off if they would get off the stage.

• tvjunkie says:

LOL at such short-sighted fools such as yourself. You never consider all the people who depend on the stars of these shows for their jobs. The people who work behind the scenes (the crew, security, caterers, people in the travel/tourist industry…people go there to see it in person right). None of those people would have the jobs they currently have if the show went off the air and the on air talent is a major part of whether it stays ont he air and keeps all those people employed. You think that’s an easy breezy burden to carry all those peoples jobs on your shoulders?

• MariaCo says:

Obviously Kelly didn’t think of any of those hard working people behind the scenes. I will stop watching Live for the same reason I stopped watching The View, I just don’t like anyone on those shows anymore. 💝 #92

• Susan says:

Exactly! Regis Philbin is LIVE!….changed when he was ousted by ABC. Regis brought NYC to us past and present. He was out and about on the town allowing those living outside NYC a look inside restaurants , plays, parties….etc. with plenty of laughter about the experience of getting to and from an event . ….miss that LIVE! We hear a great deal about the present hosts lives instead of LIVE NYC…

• Lew Gordon says:

So well said and how true!

2. He is such a likable and should take some time with his family before he rushes in on GMA etc> guy and has a very bright future

• ALWAYSYOUNG says:

And doesn’t need HER dragging him down! She is such an empty-headed diva.

• Sam says:

If it wasn’t for her he’d never have made it out of the Football Star Mentality big, ugly, with his Daaaaa personally now he thinks he’s a big star wait until the stars of GMA put him in his place

3. Drew says:

So … I guess Kelly’s solo opening speech without Michael in the camera shot was “telling.”

• wrstlgirl says:

VERY telling :-) That speech was all BS.

• KyGal says:

It wasn’t BS it was spoken from the heart. She is very classy and very respectful of Michael and the rest of the staff. They both will move on with their careers and do very well.

• Belle says:

It was 100% BS – soon a tell all book will come out and give you the entire story. They have only tolerated each other the past 4 years, there’s not one ounce of truth to their fake friendship. Remember Kelly is an actress, and she’s playing a part and has been since Strahan came aboard in 2012. She deserved a head’s up about the changes no doubt, but don’t be fooled she is thrilled he is leaving!!! Even the last few years with Regis seemed fake/forced too. Because of all this hoopla she will now get to pick the next co-host herself, it’ll either be Anderson Cooper or NPH.

• wrstlgirl says:

Really, I’ve always heard the exact opposite but unless someone knows her personally and has access to behind the scenes activities then no one really knows the truth.

• David4 says:

Very respectful to take a week off for no reason?

• mcwilson says:

Michael, is taking off the whole summer to “be with his family”? Now who’s the diva? Maybe he’s really taking a crash course in journalism, politics, economics, and ETHICS. He’ll be needing it.

• It was already reported that Kelly had planned time off at the end of last week. She simply left early. She could be hurt or upset. If she wanted to take 2 personal days she’s allowed.

• alicia says:

Are you being sarcastic???

• Karen Marquardt says:

That’s my feeling. I think Kelly is rich ($15,000,000/year and whining) and thinks everyone owes her. I’d leave if I was Michael too. She never let him get a word in edgewise. It was always about her, her rich trips, her handsome hubby (he is that), and their kids. Even interrupting conversation with guests. She can’t even allow them to get their message across. They have a story; Kelly has a better one. She needs to learn how to shut up. Not watching anymore after Michael is gone. I assume Regis early retired for much the same reason. $15,000,000 – yep, and that’s only on the LIVE show.

• Tinlou says:

Very well said! I think you nailed it.

• Carol Magarino says:

After MIchael leaves the show on May 13th I will stop watching as well. She is totally a
          phony. Never even reached out to Regis after he left. Hope the show tanks and that
          others like myself will stop tuning in. I had been watching the show for 25 years. Cathy
          Lee and Regis had more class. Good Luck Michael. I’ll set my alarm for GMA.

Carol

• Sharisse says:

Michael will be missed, the show will not be the same without him. I do wish him the best in his future endeavors. Ditto

• Insider says:

She even rebuffed his holding her chair out. Everyone needs to realize you don’t know these people. I’ve worked on daytime talk shows & with many celebrities. Most of the time, their public image is very different than how they act behind the scenes. I actually worked on a show that Had a MAJOR controversy & most of what was reported was totally false. And that included so called reputable media outlets

• Mary says:

It was telling alright…She all but told Disney and Gellman, they really messed up. I believe Kelly and Michael have a great relationship on stage. If I were her I would not trust the management ever again….

4. Gram says:

I wish Kelly was leaving and not showing up anywhere.

• Mary says:

You don’t have to watch, change the channel.

• Dee says:

I agree, change the channel.

• Sarah says:

when Michael goes, I will (stop watching). I never could stand Regis and Kathy and this one and that one and Kelly, and when Michael came on, I thought…oh, someone who is not a loud obnoxious idiot. Well, when Michael goes, so do I, I do not need Kelly and her ego in my face every morning.

• Jess says:

I started watching because of Michael too. I do like Kelly, but not enough to watch her every morning. One less thing to watch at the end of the day. :)

• Me says:

Love Strahan. She’s beyond ridiculous..I’ve watched Regis and Kathielee religiously…Regis and Kelly always….loved Michael and what’s her name..she is treating him very fakey and I am offeneed of how she is being on show..always have watched gma all my life…I’m 54 and won’t watch live afterror he leaves how dare she lie on her 15 yr that she.never takes her viewers in vain

.r he leaves sorry gelman

• Ella Jasper says:

I would start watching the show again!

5. Patty Ptacek says:

My personal belief is that Ripa is childishly jealous that Michael’s career is eclipsing hers. He is genuine in his emotional development while she just presents surface reactions. I support his time off to prepare for new show and be with his kids in summer.

• Adam says:

I feel like being the single host or a co-host of a talkshow with your name in the title is a bigger deal than being one of many correspondents on GMA, so I don’t think he’s eclipsing her exactly.

• A fan of TV says:

I’m not so sure about that. GMA has much better ratings, gets more press, and most importantly, gives Strahan somewhere to move up. As the host of a talk show with your name in the title you’re as high as you can go in that particular stream, but now he’s likely on the fast track to hosting GMA a la Matt Lauer on Today…also, the assumption is that Strahan’s not taking a massive pay cut to move over to the morning show…

• Andrea says:

Plus, Michael’s had a successful pro football career and has been a studio analyst on FOX. Kelly may have her name in this show, but that and All My Children represent the bulk majority of her career. She’s been rather stagnant in the same position for a fairly long time.

• LT says:

Not really true. She had her sitcom, produces other projects, and has many endorsement deals.

• LLA says:

Right, Kelly was never a football player or on a sports talk show. So, that makes her experience in the business not as good as Michael? She’s stagnate? Kelly has been on a very successful syndicated daytime talk show for 15 yrs. Before that she worked her butt off on a soap, (and that is not easy work). She had her own sitcom. Being a cohost among many cohosts on GMA wouldn’t even be a lateral move for her–it would be a step down. Would Carson or Letterman orLeno be considered stagnate because they stayed in their jobs for many years. Hell no. Plus, people on syndicated talk type shows make some great $$ if they are successful. Look at Judge Judy. Supposedly, she makes more $$$ than all of them put together haha

• mcwilson says:

Maybe she wanted a career that she loves and is very good at that would also enable her to be a hands on mother and wife. Seems like she set it up just right! She even managed to get a good competitive salary in a man’s world. Sounds like a failure to me. 3 great kids,
            , hot husband and longevity plus all her charity and civic work, she should be ashamed.

• mcwilson says:

Have you actually watched GMA lately. It’s pitiful. One long Disney commercial. Michael is awkward and artificial just like he was at first at Live. Only now he won’t have Kelly to prop him up and fill in the gaps. Erin Andrew’s was much more entertaining than Michael when she filled in. He’s gonna need a miracle to save GMA. I tuned in just out of curiosity and was appalled by the whole show and it used to be my favorite.

• Debbie Davis says:

I might have to agree with you Adam. ABC pulled him due to slumping ratings on GMA. The ratings on Kelly & Michael are high, partly due to Michael and Kelly’s great chemistry together. Sure hope they can find someone that works like they did!

• Ditto says:

NOT. This is like your husband tells you he’s been unhappy for a long time and he is leaving you when you had no idea. Blindsided.

• Jeremy says:

I think she is angry (justifiably) that this was done completely behind her back as it affects the future of her show. There are rumors that GMA is going to get an extra hour and Kelly & (Insert Host Name Here) will be moved later in the day or cancelled altogether. The fact that Michael Strahan is jumping ship and didn’t (more likely couldn’t) tell her about it speaks volumes of ABC’s intent. If Kelly Ripa is as smart as I think she is, she’s probably looking to move on to another network after her contract is up.

• Max says:

No network is going to pay her what she earns on this job. And no show will be this easy for just 1 hour work. More likely is she’ll get more money to continue the show for the next few years. And if she’s smart, her agents will insert some clauses to prevent this scenario happening again. GMA is more profitable than LIVE so thats why it’s the priority. It’ll be interesting to see if they hire one of Kelly’s personal friends as cohost because that will be telling in a lot of ways about the future of the show.

• matty says:

And she is also probably very aware of the fact that this is the same network that cancelled All My Children and One Life To Live after assuring the crew and casts of both shows that they would be renewed and forcing the cast and crew of AMC to move from New York to L.A. and causing half the crew to lose the jobs they had for decades. I’m sure this is still fresh in her mind and causing her to worry about the future of her show; which is still a top rated talk show. She is also well aware of the fact that OLTL was among the highest rated soaps when it was cancelled. It was actually doing better than GH was at the time.

• Renee says:

This is more like it. Remember Disney is part of this and seriously I don’t think Kelly or
        Gelman knew anything about what was going on and contractually Michael could not tell them. She certainly looked tired and sincere this morning…….sooner or later the whole
        story will come out.

• mcwilson says:

I live in orlando and Disney in notorious for exploiting employees, and playing them against each other. They are posting record profits but are continually pinching pennies to people who have no recourse. It is imperative for her to stand her ground, or else be crushed by the Disney machine.

• Ditto says:

Yep Disney is definitely facsist–just like most corporations. Yes it is part of business for workers to be hired and fired–but it is how you do it. People’s lives are at stake and the brutality in corporate America is off the charts. Human Resources is just a legal department to protect the company from liability. I’m glad Kelly stood up for consideration and respect. Everyone else seems brainwashed by the corporate cult.

• Mary says:

Another blunder on ABC PR department, they couldn’t even wait a day to announce is leaving. I hardly think Kelly has to worry about Michael eclipsing her, GMA is not that much of a promotion, considering it is falling in ratings. According to most of you I guess Kelly is the star of the show because she has so much clout.

• herman1959 says:

Ditto. There was no way the first plan was going to work anyway.

• Doggietreat says:

GMA is a downgrade! The show is a circus of incompatible personalities lorded over by queen Robin Roberts, who has zero warmth or personality IMO. This is perfect for MS since his “warmth” is fake. He is a cold-hearted–ask any of his paramours or wives. You watched the EGO grow daily on Live. I think he blew up his career and will be back to only sports with the men (which is clearly the only place he is truly comfortable) soon.

• lechatnoir says:

His sun tan is on fleek. You can tell he no longer cares. Yup she is hella jealous. She is earning all those millions , but she still isn’t happy..

• Sarah says:

Patty – perfectly well said. Michael has always been a gentleman with Kelly and that is part of the problem, and now she has to have a fit because she didn’t get to make the big announcement. She is a childish, untalented and selfish witch. She will soon find out that people are onto her ‘me, me, me’ and she will be the end of that show. She definitely needs to learn to shut her big mouth when others are trying to talk intelligently, and she needs to stop with her stupid preening.

• Jess says:

Some advice you might take. I’ve met her in real life and she was completely pleasent and unselfish. Green eyed monster.

6. Chris says:

Happy to see him go before September. It was an ill thought out plan to tell Kelly at the last minute. Worse, to believe their chemistry will be the same for 4 months.

Rip the band-aid off and spend the summer trying out new hosts.

7. wrstlgirl says:

So now we know the truth. They can sugar coat it all they want, Kelly is still pissed and wants Michael gone now. Happy for him my arse. This is for the best, Michael can move on now and enjoy time with his family and friends.

• Mary says:

Isn’t it nice that she has so much clout since she is the star of the show. I look at it as this is his two weeks notice, no need for him to stay. Now they can find a new Co-host and move past this. I would guarantee even if these events hadn’t gone down like this he wouldn’t have worked the whole summer, with him there how are they going to try out replacements.

• wrstlgirl says:

Who would want to work in such a hateful environment. Michael wanted out anyway. My guess is Michael is happy as hell to get out of there, sooner the better.

• Dolores says:

I agree that Kelly is still angry so in order to make her happy they are letting Michael go early. I feel sorry for the next co-host. They won’t be able to speak because she cuts them off all of the time. I think its time to get rid of her.

• MariaCo says:

Yes, I agree Kelly is still angry which is why they will let her get her way until they cancel the show or make other changes they are planning on. luv #92

• Fezelah1 says:

Kelly do not control Michael. I believe that Kelly is mad because she was attracted to Michael and they knew it. When Michael picked up Kelly to hug her in his arms on the show it looked so genuine.

• Doggietreat says:

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

8. Mary says:

All you negative people, did you really expect him to stay until September? They will do like they did with Regis try out different Co-host and hire who is the best. It might be difficult but put aside your hatred for her and think logically. A new Co-host takes time and if Michael stayed how are they suppose to try others out.

• wrstlgirl says:

There was no way he was staying until September, even before her tantrum. It’s business.

• mcwilson says:

Odd that when Michael was conducting his secret negotiations “, it was business. When Kelly asserted herself she was “having a tantrum”. Can you say “double standard”? You go girl! Set women back a century why don’t you? There are back stabbers and wannabes in every profession. Michael could start today and in 22 years he MIGHT be where she is today. I highly doubt it. For anyone to have a 26 year track record in the same company is phenomenal and not coincidental.

• Beth says:

They are supposed to spend next season trying out co-hosts the same way they did when Regis retired. BTW, Regis told her he was retiring 15 minutes before they went on the air and he made the public announcement. It seems maybe Kelly isn’t earning the respect of the people she works with, I know for a fact that she & Gelman don’t get along.

• MariaCo says:

You hit the nail on the head with ‘kelly isn’t earning the respect of the people she works with’ – she selfishly thinks she deserves what she wants, when she wants it and how she wants it. She ain’t all that! 💝 #92

9. I really would like to see the two of them continue working together. I have really enjoyed the chemistry between them. I have a lot of respect for both of them and understand how each of them have felt about all of this. I’m glad she addressed it the way she did and respect how the both of them showed respect and support for each other. Will definitely miss the two of them hosting together. Just want the best for all involved.

10. MLO says:

I’d love to see Fred Savage as the new co-host – they had tons of chemistry when he co-hosted a few weeks ago and he was very natural and funny. Too bad his show got picked up for another season.

11. Lola says:

Kelly is a jealous spiteful human being. Many people have other job opportunities and like it or not it’s not an obligation to inform your fellow employees regardless of the job. That entire morning siloquoy was as fake as she is. Rumor has it that she was the real reason that Regis retired. Chased him from his own morning staple. She acts like she owns Michael or as if she’s owed something. Wound up the simple black man because I own him. Nasty wench. All this whole thing has shown is how petty and ridiculous she is. She can be replaced just as easily and ABC is a fool for cow towing to that heifer. Bye Felicia.

• Mary says:

You have a lot of nasty opinions for someone who you don’t know personally. Hate to break it to you but Regis retired because he only wanted to work a couple days a week and the Network said no. Get you facts straight before spreading rumors. I think one is a little green with envy.

• Lola says:

Sorry to break it to you sweetie. I have no jealously for anyone. My mother taught me at a very young age that jealously is a useless emotion and I’ve always lived my life that way. So try again.

• mcwilson says:

LOLA, Your mother forgot to teach you manners. Your whole post is hateful and spiteful, then throw in the race card for good measure. I don’t think calling Michael a “simple black man” is productive or a useful contribution to any discourse. really classy sweetie!

• Jess says:

I’m with Mary. You have something going on if your Mom had to tell you that, and you are saying such ridiculous things about someone you don’t know.

• Well Regis was in his mid 70’s and was recovering from open heart surgery so that sounds like a good reason to want to cut down the work load….Kelly and Mark don’t seem to be hurting from that decision.

• Ryan says:

Exactly! If you have a job be thankful. Alot people don’t. Maybe Kelly mad she can’t make Mike jump for the “klondike Bar” lol…just saying

• Mary says:

With that philosophy, people wonder why Corporations get away with so much. Some people might put respect above money… just saying.

• Jump off says:

The only people who own Michael are the corporate suits. Kelly expected more from a colleague who she has to intimately interact with day in and day out.

12. AD says:

She can’t win at this point. People are just going to skewer her. I enjoy Kelly and will continue to watch and see who the new cohost will be. Hope it’s someone I like. I was so happy they chose Michael. Let’s see what happens next.

13. TV INSIDER says:

This was part of the agreement struck by ABC executives and Ripa’s team. And it’s a win win for all. ABC gets a big send off during May sweeps. Strahan gets some time off & gets to leave a very uncomfortable situation, one where he didn’t like his coworkers. Ripa gets to feel like she’s got some clout & is “respected”. And everyone still seems to be ignoring Gelman (who reportedly was also blindsided, and he’s a male who’s steered this show for three decades)…Kelly will now demand a raise to stay in the cushiest job on TV to match Strahans salary.

• greg says:

You were correct until the last part, Kelly makes at least double what Strahan makes. She makes upwards of 20 million a year, no one in her cohost chair or starting off at GMA would make anywhere near that amount.

• Ella Jasper says:

They seriously pay her that much money to sit in a chair for an hour and talk to “celebrities”?? And we have people living on the streets and hungry children in our country. That’s ridiculous.

• Jump off says:

You try being “on” and reveal no emotion about what may or may not be going on in your life every day. Most people hide behind their laptops. It is not was easy as it looks.

• mcwilson says:

Has anyone considered how the GMA cast feels about being “saved” by a TV Quasi talk show co host with limited experience and no professional journalism experience? I’m sure there are a lot of ruffled feathers behind the scenes, we are just not hearing about it.

14. Larc says:

I thought this would be happening. Kelly may have made it a condition of her returning. Of course, we’ll probably never know for sure.

15. Maria Sanchez says:

Yes I am bummed he will be leaving because Kelly and Michael are a good match. However Michael has to look out for himself as well. He probably is getting a pretty good deal at GMA. I watched the show before Michael and I will watch it after his departure because I always wanted to see Kelly.

16. Julie Lamb says:

I am bummed he is leaving early but looking forward to GMA in the fall. I love Michael and his energy. I love Kelly and how much she loves Live which I have been watching around my work schedule for almost 30 years. When they cast Kelly, I knew it was the right fit. When they cast Michael, I also knew he was the one. I hope they find another “one” with energy, chemistry and the ability to be happy daily! Thank you Live for being so much fun in the morning -” Snapchat” this morning LOL!

I hope GMA gets much more of that with Michael being on set daily. The world needs to laugh more to get through our daily realities. (don’t let me get started). Now if ABC would not mess with Castle and get my actresses back. I think “some people in charge” really don’t have a clue who watches their shows.

17. lindae5o says:

I have nothing against Michael, but I’m not going to miss him. Kelly paid her dues all those years with Regis, and to me, she is the star of the show. When she or Michael had vacation time, I enjoyed the shows more when Kelly was there with a guest co-host, than when Michael had a guest co-host.

18. herman1959 says:

Knew it!

19. “Strahan’s earlier-than-planned exit also gives Live a little extra time to find a replacement for him.” Huh? Maybe I’m a little dense here but wouldn’t have being out of the co-host slot sooner than expected give them LESS time to find a replacement? Now you need to find someone to fill the slot in May instead of the fall. How does that give you more time?

• Cassie says:

It gives them time to have week long auditions with various potential cohosts before the fall.

• Mary says:

Because it gives more opportunity to interview several more people. If he stayed until September, when the new year begins, and start the process it will take that much longer. They might find a replacement in a month or two who knows, this affords them the opportunity of picking the right one.

• Andrew Hass says:

It gives the show time to test out different people to see how they work on Ripa by letting them be a co-host.Plus the show may not have wanted to wait to hire a co-host because more people might be available now than later.As for Strahan, maybe because he’s leaving early he’s getting a buyout from his contract.So Strahan is probably getting some money for leaving early.

20. matty says:

I wonder if there is any truth to the rumors that ABC plans to cancel Live all-together and replace it with another hour of GMA.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That’s not how it works; syndicated Live isn’t ABC’s to cancel. They would have to have myriad complex, exhausting negotiations to convince each market where a conflict exists to air GMA instead.

• matty says:

But isn’t Live owned by Disney-ABC and produced by WABC? And even if ABC was able to cancel it I’d rather see them cancel The View than Live. The View has been running on fumes for years.

• matty says:

Either way thank you for your insight and your response. I enjoy reading your column.

• Java Wagner says:

I hope,
      that rumor is true

21. William Napoliello says:

Sorry To See Michael Leave So Soon! Would Have RFERRED To See Kelly Leave. She Is So Phney!!!

22. Seth Hirt says:

Really hate to see Michael Strahan go, but if it’s his decision, then I’m happy for him. Really enjoyed him being on the show. I liked as a Football Player, I like him as a Football Commentator, I’m sure he’ll be an excellent addition to his new position.

23. Sandy says:

I think they should cancel the show , Kelly is soooooooooooo fake, Good Luck Michael, you made the ratings go up for Live.

24. jj says:

Hire Anderson Cooper as his replacement. Since they both love clocks, they can spend all their time talking about clocks. Big clocks, little clocks, favorite clocks. And in between all that hot clock talk, they can mention what time it is.

25. Karen Gokey says:

Michael Strahan is a “Class Act:” He will be sorely missed on Live. I haved watched GMA forever and Michael is a wonderful addition to the team. Kelly is a star in her own right and will find the perfect replacement for co-host as she is the “Queen of morning talk show. No worries Kelly, you ROCK!

26. Happy Pritchett says:

I liked Michael just fine – but I would love to see someone who’s inherently funny sit with Kelly. Michael and Kelly were a little too “You’re so great” , “no, you’re so great.” Maybe I just long for the days of someone like Regis – he could play off of his co-hosts so beautifully. And, all of the “body” and “workout” talk subjects have gotten so old.
    Just my opinion, but I’ve been a fan for a very long time, and I have been getting a little tired of the same subjects.

27. Ms Bunny says:

Very sorry to see him go. I think he is making a mistake…unless, it’s possibly true that they are planning to end Live and stretch the morning show. But, even then, I fear that it is a mistake.

28. Linda From Dallas says:

He gave her 4 months notice yet she is acting like a spoiled child. I had hoped she was not another entitled celebrity but I guess I was wrong.

29. Jan Stevenson says:

I am so sorry to see Michael go. I thought the chemistry between Kelly and Michael was amazing and they both seemed to really enjoy each other. Was this acting? If so they both deserve an award for Best Actor and Actress. I will miss seeing them together and truthfully never watched the show before Michael came along. They did a fantastic job.

30. clj1619 says:

Two words – Willie Giest!!!!

31. ruth gerechter says:

Good luck, good riddance! If all he’s thinking is what’s convenient for himself and not considering Kelly’s feelings, Adieu! Have a good life.

32. Helena says:

I can’t wait to see him on GMA-along side the GMA crew it s going to be GREAT!

33. Carol Boger says:

i was thrilled to hear about his good morning America job. i was even more thrilled when i learned ripa walked off the job. i hoped she wouldnt be back. i sighed when i heard she would be back today. i am now ecstatic that michael wont have to put up with her any longer, and sad as i am to see him gone, it is only til fall.

34. Sadie says:

I think Michael made the show what it is. Kelly is just another spoiled rich bitch! Glad Michael is moving forward in his career.

• mcwilson says:

So, a successful 15 year career on one show and earning a competitive salary in a man’s word makes Kelly a “rich” bitch? What does jumping ship for 20 million make Michael? A successful business negotiator or a Judas? Double standards?

35. ALWAYSYOUNG says:

I’d really rather see HER go………………….RIGHT NOW!

36. LaVerne Klopp says:

I wish him all the best on GMA. How about Josh Groden with Kelly. They were good together when auditioning for the co-host position.

37. Michael is a terrific fellow; the show will miss him tremendously (as will the fans). Will be interesting to see who his replacement is. Michael will do well in any endeavor he chooses. In the scheme of things in this crazy world; what’s the fuss!

38. Leigh says:

I would say this will turn out to be a poor career move for him. GMA is a dying show. He does not have enough charm to keep that sinking ship afloat. Then what?

39. Kristin says:

She is the Best Actress ever! She definitely deserves an Emmy for this one.

40. Ruth says:

Proud of the way she handled herself. Happy to see him go.

41. Kimberly says:

I am baffled that Kelly and other people think Disney, ABC and Michael “owed” her a heads up beforehand. Why? When someone gets a promotion and changes departments in the real world, is anyone told ahead of time? NO! You find out with the rest of the group. Not disrespectful at all. So what if her name is on the marquee, this will be all she ever is… she has no other future. That might be fine for her, but Michael’s talents will be used elsewhere. She can have her stupid show that was nothing before he got there. NO Emmy was ever won with Kelly until Michael walked in…. she’s jealous.

• KatsMom says:

And in most jobs, when someone changes departments, you don’t have the press swarming and asking you to make statements about your feelings your former coworker making that big department switch. That’s a pretty big difference between the entertainment world and the “real” world. Generally speaking, things work differently in the entertainment world. Most of the time, adequate notice is given quietly to those who will be sought after for quotes so they can prepare statements to release to the press when the calls asking for comment come in. That wasn’t done in this case, and, unsurprisingly, Kelly wasn’t thrilled that she was expected to scramble and come up with a comment on the spot. I don’t know many people who are thrilled to be caught off guard by the press. Oh, and I disagree with you about her future prospects as well. She’s an adequate comedic actress. There are plenty of cable sitcoms on Disney, Freeform, TVLand, etc. where she’d fit right in. She’s never going to win an Emmy, but she’ll have steady employment opportunities for the foreseeable future, even if Live is brought to an end by the studio.

42. Misty says:

VERY SAD TO SEE HIM GO….I FEEL HE HAS BEEN A GREAT CO-HOST…I FEEL HE BROUGHT GOOD & POSITIVE ENERGY TO THE SHOW…I VERY MUCH ENJOYED SEEING HIM EVERYDAY…I FEEL HE GREW INTO THE POSITION QUICKLY AND WONDERFULLY. I PERSONALLY FEEL THE SHOW WILL BE DIFFERENT WITHOUT HIM…I WILL MISS HIM DEARLY…THANK YOU MICHAEL FOR THE FEW YEARS OF FUN…! WISH IT WERE MORE

43. Donna says:

Good luck Michael as you take on a new full time challenge! Don’t watch your current show but do watch GMA every morning. Enjoy your time off!!

44. Marybeth Swanson says:

I am bummed he is leaving early. It’s the only reason I watch the show, the first fifteen minutes to see him. I will not be turning on once he is gone. Will miss him all summer. till he starts on GMA.

45. Yoko says:

Jealous much? (to the spoiled rich insults) She’s kept this show afloat for years. So what if she makes money. If this was a man would you be hurling such snide remarks. She was classy in her speech. The network is who you should be shaming.

• Fine says:

Yep. If the corporation makes millions and millions in ads because of her work, why shouldn’t she get an appropriate amount of it–especially if that is in line with what other people doing the same thing make and in light of the years she has been there? How much does Wendy Williams make or Ellen DeGeneres?

46. Nellie says:

We will really miss you Michael, I cannot imagine the show without you, you are responsible for us watching the show. We love you and wish you the very very best. Nellie and Richard

• matty says:

I personally only watched the show for Kelly. Michael’s presence meant nothing to me. I watched the show before he got on it and will continue watching long after he is gone.

47. Bill Beech says:

I watch both shows to be entertained, their turmoil should be kept private. I like Michael but never understood his placement on Live, I will probably enjoy his style more on GMA just like on sports related shows.

48. nora Clifford says:

Very sad to see him go

49. Bette Winchell says:

Sorry to see him go. I enjoyed Kelly and Michael together. I wish only the best for both Michael and Kelly..;

50. Sandra says:

So happy to see Strahan leave. I hope Anderson Cooper is selected. He and Kelly are a great team. Good riddance to Michael Strahan.