Kelly Ripa Michael Strahan Controversy

Kelly Ripa, Michael Strahan Not Attending Daytime Emmy Awards

Despite being nominated for Outstanding Entertainment Talk Show Host(s), Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan will not be attending the Daytime Emmy Awards this weekend — though not for the reason you might expect.

On the surface, it could seem as though Ripa and Strahan, winners in this category at last year’s Emmys, are avoiding public appearances in light of Live‘s ongoing scandal; just last week, Strahan blindsided his co-host with the news that he’s leaving the talk show for a spot on Good Morning America.

But the truth, according to our sister site Deadline, is that neither Ripa nor Strahan had planned on attending this year’s ceremony in the first place. The Emmys are being held Sunday in Los Angeles, not allowing the duo enough time to return to New York to prepare for Monday’s show. It should be noted that they also skipped last year’s Daytime Emmys.

With Strahan’s departure now set for May 13, Monday’s episode marks the kick-off of his final two weeks working alongside Ripa.

1. Belle says:

I’ve been sucked into this story as lots of people have, but I am really disappointed in how Kelly and Michael have chosen to deal with this. Grow the heck up!!!!! You guys make more than enough money and have a job you love doing regardless of who is sitting next to you…lots of us are stuck in jobs we hate, making barely $10 an hour, wishing the only mean thing our co-workers do is hurt our feelings :( This is the last time I’m clicking on a link relating to this ridiculous, unimportant, petty sandbox feud!

• sarah t says:

Honestly, though this wasn’t handled the best by ABC, I think that was more than a little deliberate on their part because now they’re getting a ton of publicity for the show, especially with May sweeps coming up. People are clearly talking about it. It’s a great way to get people to tune in and see who they try-out and end up picking as a replacement for Michael. It’s a win-win.

2. KeithH says:

I’m overwrought with indifference…

3. trosenberger61 says:

Our Nation News should be of peace and unity.. These issues are not a major issue. I wish you all the Best. Michael is Excellent and fun to watch.. Kelly professional behavior should of kept it private! Everyone moves on…

4. Tricia says:

This is a shame in my opinion. The two of them have great chemistry and since Michael has been on with Kelly the show is fun to watch. I rather doubt there will be quite another that is as well suited to be her co-host. Why didn’t that show offer him a salary increase to stay??? Not even sure it will ‘feel’ the same anymore. No fun!

5. She is such a spoiled brat. I would dump her for a new fresh face that is a little more grateful for a fantastic job making the big bucks. There is a replacement for everybody, and It wouldn’t surprise me if management is looking for someone right now. Screw her !

6. barb says:

Wow…havent watched for a few days..so much tension between the two..Its good Michael is leaving sooner.
    I had watched the show daily because of MICHAEL! He is talented, fun , down to earth. I stopped watching prior, Kelly is over rated with a “uuuge ego” and finds herself funny..NOT.. Same repetitive stories over the years..not much substance. Its time to reformate the program and replace the Queen!!!
    Regis had a good thing going…but lost pazaaaz over the years..just sayin

7. Mary Askew says:

I am happy for Michael wishing him the best of luck No one spoke of how unfair he was treated. He deserves his progress and take advantage of all opportunities.

8. Jacqueline Gates says:

I have enjoyed them working together. I hate to him leave the show.
    The two Ripper and Mike worked so well together.

9. Pat Heilmann says:

I think Kelly has to much attitude. She’s the one that should be leaving. Wipe the slate clean & start anew or bring back Regis.

10. Kimberlee Beverly says:

I’m glad he is going early! Get the pressure off Kelly and let her be her happy go lucky self! I love the joy she brings forth in her work! You go girl! I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again it’s your show anyway you are what makes live rock!!!!

11. Kimberlee Beverly says:

I see all these comments about Kelly being a spoiled brat ! Cracks me up spoiled doesn’t get up an go to work every single day for years upon years!! If that’s spoiled then what is Paris Hilton! Kelly has worked hard for her fame for along time! Sounds more like a bunch of jealous people to me!

12. I am so excited for Michael. He has made a very successful transition from being a sports icon to becoming a very popular TV host. I stopped watching Live! after Regis left, then started again about a year ago after seeing the chemistry Kelly and Michael had. Michael brings the same chemistry to GMA and I’m so looking forward to watching him full time. Now, in my opinion, the tension between the two hosts is palpable. As I’m sure Michael is looking forward, I can’t wait until May 13. Maybe GMA will extend the show to a third hour, otherwise I’ll have to find some other productive way to spend my 9’oclock hour.

13. Marie Smith says:

Kelly this isn’t the first time a cohost has left please act like a lady. Avoid the personnel digs like the one Friday though you were better than that.Good luck Michael .

14. Dee says:

Congratulations to Kelly and Michael! They have always made great team. Well deserved ❤️

15. Lana odom says:

Never had liked Kelly Ripa !!!!!!