Samantha Bee Bashes 'Fragile White Men' in Hysterics Over New $20 Bill

Talk about a comedy gold mine. On Monday’s Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, the acid-tongued hostess had a field day ripping Republicans who were angered by the decision to have Harriet Tubman replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill.

Bee slammed conservatives who groused that the forthcoming currency tweak (due to go into effect in 2020) was yet another example of political correctness gone awry. She specifically mocked the “fragile feelings of white men, who tragically appear on only seven out of seven bills currently in production.”

Bee then attempted to empathize with those who fear change, citing her own refusal to accept Roseanne‘s “Becky with the good hair.”

Watch Bee’s satirical assessment of the controversy above.

1. Andrew says:

Brilliant! Why wasn’t she given the Daily Show again?

• s-k-s says:

She’d already signed the deal for this show and announced she was leaving before Jon Stewart made his announcement.

2. Mr. Smith says:

Still trying to figure out why this is “TV news.” While I agree that Harriet Tubman is a fine choice for currency, I don’t understand why Samantha Bee continuously makes TVLine news. Very interesting…

• Steve says:

Thank you. I can’t stand her and hate how often TVLine is posting about her.

• Nicole says:

Because she’s on tv? Just a guess.

• Amelia says:

Well to be fair, she does have a television show and this site is not only about scripted television. Plus, shows like this are easy “filler articles” to throw in a clip and a few lines.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Samantha Bee is the host of a late-night television programme, not unlike Fallon, Kimmel, Colbert, Corden, Trevor Noah, Dick Cavett….

• Joey says:

Still trying to figure out why you don’t make the same comment on articles featuring James Corden, Jimmy Fallon, etc…

• Mr. Smith says:

Well, because Fallon and others generally don’t take themselves as serious as Ms. Bee. Fallon and others are entertaining. My opinion is that Ms. Bee is more political commentary than late night entertainment. Yes, she is on TV, but given that most of http://www.tvline.com is concerning entertainment, rather than news or political news, it is hard to figure why Samantha Bee is highlighted almost on a daily basis.

Again, just my thoughts.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

1) She has a weekly program.

2) A segment of her has been featured 8 times in 12 weeks.

• Ash says:

It’s times like these I wish TVLine had a like feature for comments. All of them would go to Matt.

• Mr. Smith says:

Point taken. MY OPINION is that she is featured more than other late night hosts. Thank you for pointing out the facts.

• u says:

Also, you may find Trump combing his hair entertaining while I, on the other hand, find it as annoying as people trying to tell me what to think. You don’t dictate what is entertaining for everyone else. I find Samantha Bee quite as entertaining as “Fallon and others” and think she and her show are very much a fit for a television entertainment site such as TvLine.

• Ben says:

TVLine decides which shows they are going to cover, and then they cover them. Clearly, Samantha Bee is one of them. I don’t see why she is any less TV news than stuff going on in other shows. TVLine has never limited itself to scripted fare.

3. pickles says:

Hypocritical for her to say that statement because a “white male” can’t say anything like that and get away with it. I thought people wanted equality not zinging people because of their race or gender.

• Joey says:

Are you familiar with power dynamics?

• Nik says:

Ah, so you want at least THREE bills to feature women on them. Got it!

Equality ftw!

• A fan of TV says:

Actually, if a white male said what Samantha Bee said, he’d be commended for being able to joke about his patriarchal advantages. If a white male said the opposite of what Bee said, if a white male said what Fox News pundits said about the bill, he wouldn’t likely get away with it, specifically for the reasons Bee so eloquently points out, especially with her timely (unintentional? Not sure when filmed…) Beyonce album reference.

• Ben says:

Precisely. As a white male I’d definitely get away with laughing at how white men are on every bill.

Although, as a non-American, I might have picked Alexander Hamilton to replace.

• Hamilton is already on the $10. Originally they were going to put Tubman on the $10 but a lot of people felt that was inappropriate because Hamilton founded the US treasury.

• Redness says:

Even if you ignore Jackson’s deplorable treatment of Native Americans, he hated paper money and believed the only currency that should be used was hold and silver coins. I’m fine with him jot being on the $20.

Alexander Hamilton was the first Secretary of the Treasury and championed the first National Bank. He deserves to be on our currency more than Jackson, who was a garbage person.

• Lucifer says:

What kind of patriarchal advantages?

• A fan of TV says:

You’re funny. Patriarchal advantages including: the belief that only men are capable of being strong/tough and therefore women have to fight harder to be firefighters, cops, etc. The fact that men are paid more for the same jobs at the executive level because it’s more acceptable for men to ask for and receive raises. The fact that men are not expected to take time off work for maternity leave and therefore advance in their careers more quickly and easily than women.
          If you want to talk about the advantages of straight white men over gay men or men of colour, too, we could certainly go on. The problem with me going on and on with facts and truth on this subject, though, is that you would refuse to accept any of the facts because you refuse to believe white male privilege exists. So let’s go about this another way: why don’t you prove these advantages DON’T exist…maybe after you try and fail to do that you’ll get it ;)

• Lucifer says:

Wow, you not only can’t back up your conspiracy theories but are now asking me to debunk them? The burden of proof is on YOU, not me. You’re a real class act, keep living in that little bubble of yours.

• A fan of TV says:

Lol I’m so sorry you think a comment forum is an appropriate place for stats and studies and megaparagraphs. Use Google yourself, Luce. I don’t need to mother you through the realities of the world. Also, thanks for the no examples, period, that disprove the notion of paternalistic advantages. Just illustrates you know paternalistic advantages are real, but want to troll people who make you feel bad about them instead. So if we’re throwing stones over who is or isn’t a class act, be sure to aim well over that glass house of yours.

4. Jack Goff says:

FRAGILE WHITE MEN my butt. She is a comedian and knows NOTHING about adult white males. I spent 6 years in the USMC to protect my rights to say putting a TUBOFLARD on the 20 dollar bill is against what the MAJORITY of America wants……

• Joey says:

Even I, as a white male, enjoy white male tears on semi-regular basis. Thank you for being such a great supplier.

• Felton says:

Yah, always stick withe the old white males because you the majority say so, right? I really hate to tell you this (not really), but there will be women on two bills (20&5) and two of them will be black. Oh, the horror of it all !!

• A fan of TV says:

Harriet Tubman is an American hero. Saved thousands of lives and changed the direction of American history, not unlike Rosa Parks, etc. Any indications or opinions to the contrary are flat out wrong. Honestly, this comment is so offensive on so many levels. The nickname you obviously think clever is disgusting, and has no place in basic human discourse. Grow up. And get over the fact Andrew Jackson’s legacy hasn’t stood the test of time the way Harriet Tubman’s has done.

• Redness says:

She was also a Union Spy and aided in their effort to win the Civil War. She’s way more deserving on being on paper currency than the man who thought gold and silver coins should’ve been our currency.

• JScout says:

And who is questioning your right, Mr. Goff, to say any idiotic thing you want to say? No one here. No one is trying to put you in jail for your crazy, hateful opinions. That’s what the 1st Amendment means. You can’t be arrested for what you say, that’s all. But, you can certainly be criticized for it. And in your case, you should be.

• raspberry emoji says:

Fragile white men know what the MAJORITY wants… NOT!

• Lauren says:

Racist morons exit to the right —>

5. Nate says:

Not upset with an African American woman being put on the $20. What I am upset about are the fact that our priorities are all F’d up.
    We have so many major issues right now, but instead we are focused on who’s picture is on our currency. If we ignore these major issues more than we have, we won’t have currency to print on.
    I’m upset that people like you distract from issues that made this country great in the first place. Now issues like education, infrastructure, social security, healthcare, taxes, etc, that effect ALL US citizens sit by idle, slowly festering and getting worse.
    Thank you for rotting this country from the inside out. Glad getting a picture updated on the $20 makes you happy.

• Nate, Samantha has covered a lot of issues, including the elections, candidates histories, voting rights, education, water safety, healthcare etc – in other words, the rot that affects all of us. If you’re worried about the country “rotting” you’ve picked the wrong target.

• Lucifer says:

Janice, Nate isn’t talking about Samantha Bee directly, but the fact that this$20 bill issue is not only being talked about constantly, but actually getting done while serious matters go ignored by the general population and so-called activists.

• Code for “don’t want to admit to racism/sexism”.

If you don’t want to talk about it, go somewhere else and talk about something else is my point. I see thousands and trivial stupid things being discussed on facebook and elsewhere, sharing time with more important matters. The currency issue is hardly dominating the conversation by any means. Is it really too much to ask to put ONE woman on a US bill for the first time in our history? Oh heaven forfend.

• Lucifer says:

Thanks for femsplaining, Janice. I have no issue with Tubman being on the $20 bill, but it’s not going to change the constant crying and complaining from types like yourself and Bee.

• A fan of TV says:

Funny, aren’t Fox News just as guilty for distracting from the real issues, then, since their coverage of this issue is essentially what prompted Bee’s coverage of the same issue? I agree this should be a non-issue, and you have to think it might have been if not for the right-wing making an issue of it…

• Joey says:

Its always funny how someone can talk about different issues in the country all the time, but when they talk about something that someone finds insignificant, that’s suddenly all that person talks about and why can’t they talk about the important issues.
      I believe it was in the Curt Schilling article last week when I said that caring about a certain thing doesn’t automatically preclude us from caring about other things as well, and insinuating that just makes you look, well, eh, I won’t get into name-calling here.

• JScout says:

Nate, a lot of us can walk and chew gum at the same time. It’s not a zero sum game. We can work on lots of issues, without excluding ones you don’t like.

• A fan of TV says:

Plus one. Mostly for the analogy my awesome grandfather used to drop, but also because you’re categorically on point.

6. Here’s my problem with Samantha Bee (and other “news comedians”) and our liberal media in general. Liberals generally support the rights of all individuals regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc., so why is it OK for people to continually ridicule white people and Christians? Replace the word “white” with any other race or the word “Islam” and people would be all over Samantha Bee for being a racist. However, because white Christians are the majority, it’s socially acceptable for her and our media to consistently mock them and get and the public response is “OMG” and “LOL”. I’m a white, 32 yrs old, born Catholic (don’t practice), gay male and don’t have a problem with the new dollar bills, so why does society deem it OK for Samantha Bee to lump me in the same category as people that do have an issue with it? By saying white people, that includes me, and it is a stereotype. Again, replace the word “white” with “black” or “Islam” and the media would condemn her. If our comedians/media spent half as much time on working on ways to bring our country together versus divided it, we’d all be better off.

• Lucifer says:

Because liberalism has been hijacked by far-left progressives that find pseudo excuses for being racist and sexist against white men, even gay white men. “Regressive Left” is the appropriate title for these leeches. I suggest you check out YouTube channels such as Sargon of Akkad, Shoe0nHead, and Vernacullis. Very liberal, factual, and objective.

• raspberry emoji says:

’cause white men are so sweet and sharing and never racist or sexist… thanks for the laughs!!

• Lucifer says:

I can see TV Line deleted the reply to you from mails24 so I’ll just say that you completely put words in my mouth and are generalizing because you want to be racist and sexist.

• A fan of TV says:

Lol no. The only people who call it the ‘liberal media’ are non-progressives like yourself. The term was co-opted by conservatives to create an easily targettable singular ‘enemy’ to direct politically-motivated attacks towards, so that they could invent an easily repeatable phrase that would become a hair-trigger buzzword for those disenchanted by the reality that society was progressing at a faster, more socially accepting pace than they were prepared to change. And don’t worry, I don’t call myself a hard-core liberal. I’m an unapologetic socialist and think you’re probably surprised to discover that all of us on the left really do know the difference.

• Lucifer says:

I never mentioned “liberal media” in my comment and you’re damn right I’m not a progressive as they are a cancer to liberal ideals and beliefs. And considering you didn’t even address anything I mentioned in my comment to malls24, it’s clear you don’t know the difference because you are part of the problem.

• A fan of TV says:

No, Lucifer, I’m not part of the problem that you have compretending the reality of the origins of the “liberal media”. I’m trying to be part of the solution, though, except you’ve got this pesky issue with assuming that your opinions are the facts, and you’re under the misinformed impression that I should address your opinions AS facts, as opposed to countering your opinion with another view. Which I did. And you disliked. What I said was that the term “liberal media” comes from the right. While there are plenty of lefties who like Samantha Bee, while lefties may be ‘brainwashed’ in some way, railing against the liberal media does nothing but illustrate your own brainwashing by the right. So time to stop pretending or believing you’re a bastion of truth, and accept the fact that you frequent a TV website with a bit of a leftie bent, which is obvious considering the near complete lack of ‘insightful’ Bill O’Reilly or Dennis Miller monologues that get posted here. You just need to read comments to know there’s just a few of you who openly rail against these posts – the rest ignore them and the majority support them. But you want to take out on me the fact that no amount of fact would ever change your opinion? Dude, like I said, you’re funny.

• Lucifer says:

@A fan of TV, So wait a minute, you don’t directly respond to my comment and go off about “liberal media” to deflect what I had said. Then you have the nerve to tell me what my political and social affiliation are simply because you don’t agree with what I’m saying? And calling me brainwashed? Seriously? I’m not the one dehumanizing people so that it’s alright to be bigoted towards them. I’m not letting people tell me what to think. I’m actually doing my own research and looking into things on my own. The only brainwashed people here are ones like yourself who are so unsure about your own opinions, you let others tell you how to think.

• A fan of TV says:

Because when someone passes off bigotry or discrimination as a religious right or a right of free speech, it just becomes clear that the US Constitution and Bill of Rights are grossly misinterpreted documents. So is, apparently, your understanding of Bee’s own skin color, and your assumption that when she is talking about fragile white males who complain about this issue, she is talking about all white males and assumes they are all mad about this bill. Which is false, as she is not. Aren’t you just getting upset about your perception/understanding of her joke, not how it was actually presented by her or the bogeyman ‘liberal media’, and if so, isn’t that your problem?

7. Alex m . says:

I think you Sam b .needs to take a breath Bernie is a looser like you are . (Trump ) make America great again put a fork in mrs Clinton she is done and should be in jail FBI is coming if president Barry Obama would let them do the job we the American people want them to do not block them .