Agents of SHIELD FitzSimmons Sex

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Recap: Crossing the Ol' Event Horizon

This week on ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Coulson & Co. felt the Earth move, and then later… well, you can finish the joke.

It turns out that “swayed” Daisy didn’t rumble the S.H.I.E.L.D. base into rubble but merely left the place shaken and stirred — enough to jam ajar the hangar bay doors, though that’s nothing that May and some sideways, “Buckle up!” piloting couldn’t outmaneuver.

In the wake of losing Daisy to Hive, the team’s first priority is to seek out any semblance of a cure. To that end, Fitz and Simmons go undercover at a transhumanist speakeasy to confab with a Dr. Radcliffe. With Mack running the duo’s comms and Coulson nursing a bum leg, that leaves May and Lincoln to track down Alisha, the “multiple” Inhuman, before Hive can infect her as well. As a precaution, Lincoln is outfitted with not-a-suicide vest, and May is begrudgingly left in charge of the trigger, should he become at risk of swayage. One 2-on-2 clash with a pair of Alishas later, they realize that Hive got to her original first. Afterward, when Coulson mulls taking Lincoln out of the field, it leads to a heart-to-heart between him and May, about his parental, “no shoot” leanings toward Daisy. “You were never her father,” May argues, to which Phil says: “Yeah, but she’s the closest I have to a daughter.”

Hive and Daisy also beat S.H.I.E.L.D. to James, the Afterlife castoff who supplied Lincoln with the Kree orb — or at least most of it. Hive demands the rest, and in turn exposes James to Terrigen, transforming him into an Inhuman who can turn anything into an explosive. (This is where The Flash‘s Cisco could have come in handy, since the series of nicknames James cycles through fails to make a single spark.) Later, Coulson and May realize they are too late to find James, and instead stumble upon a booby trap — but thanks to a new holo-gizmo in Phil’s prosthetic, they manage to dodge harm: “I thought it’d be cool if the director of S.H.I.E.L.D. had a shield. Fitz agreed, so….”

As FitzSimmons wait to meet Dr. Radcliffe, they shut off their comms to talk openly about last night — or more to the point, what might/should happen tonight. When Fitz clumsily but charmingly lays out the risk in seguing a friendship into something more, Simmons says he is likening sex to “crossing the event horizon,” which admittedly is “quite lovely.” And yet also terrifying. “So we should stop thinking about it all together,” Fitz reckons, “and just do it.”

When they’re summoned to meet Radcliffe, FitzSimmons are delivered to a patient whom they are to, on the spot, outfit with the next-gen eyeball they hoped to dazzle the doc with. It’s merely a test, though, Radcliffe, the patient, reveals. Fitz’s appeal for the doc to help S.H.I.E.L.D. with a vaccine gets interrupted by Hive and Daisy, while Mack fights James out by the bar. Alone with Jemma, Hive speaks as spaceman Will, stirring up painful memories — until Jemma uses the gun May slipped her to fire three bullets into the beast’s belly. Daisy meanwhile vibes Fitz against a wall and issues a last warning for the team to back off and stop trying to “save” her from her new “family” — “Next time, I snap your neck.”

Back at the base, Coulson and May look on as Talbot’s troops take down Hydra’s worldwide infrastructure, “just like that,” thanks to the late Gideon Malick’s intel. At the hotel room rendezvous point, meanwhile, Fitz reunites with Simmons, and he’s not about to let a pair of “ice bucket” hands keep them from (finally) consummating their feelings: “I’ll do my best to power through,” he winks. Watch Luke Mitchell’s video of that table read:

At episode’s end, Hive tells Radcliffe that “with your help, we’re going to redefine humanity, permanently. By recreating the same Kree experiment that was done to me” all those years ago. In the meantime, Hive has procured a “hotel” whole town for his swarm to call home.

What did you think of the episode “The Singularity”?

1. Kathleen says:

Hive bought the town….not just the hotel.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Oh God, you’re right. I just played it back (having originally watched it days ago at a noisy gym), and he says “whole town.” But even on TV, it sounded almost like “hotel.” Fixed!

• Ray Wu says:

LOL I absolutely thought Ward Hive said “hotel” too. I literally said to myself “what the hell?” when I heard it hahaha

• Homodrome says:

Which makes way more sense, you’d think they’d have dubbed it with a clearer version since a lot of people (myself included) heard Hotel.

Which would be really freaking weird.

2. GeoDiva says:

Event Horizon was a great analogy!

3. lariet50 says:

*sigh* I haven’t watched it yet, but just reading this makes me realize my days of watching this show are probably numbered. The FitzSimmons-ness will help when I do watch, but I can already feel the epic eye-roll over the shield.

4. Kate Johnson says:

Honestly, they missed a perfectly good chance for a Captain America mention, especially considering Coulson is such a fanboy.

• KatsMom says:

I was expecting a Cap shout-out there too. The scene reminded me of TWS when Zola ordered the missile strike, except the shield was virtual instead of Cap’s vibranium.

• You guys, I’m almost sure there WAS a shout out, in the form of a little Easter egg. Remember the scene right before May came in and the attack against Hydra was shown on the monitors? Coulson was sitting on the edge of his desk holding something in his hands, and I immediately thought it looked like one of his beloved Captain America collector’s cards!

5. Bwhit says:

That Fitz and Simmons scene was worth the three seasons of waiting and a few years ago I would be overjoyed but given the trend in TV, I’m now worried about who’s going to die, Fitz or Simmons. They just can’t get rid of either of them! Hive is terrifying and Brett Dalton is doing a great job.

6. AJ says:

Now that Fitz and Simmons have gotten together, I guess it means one of them is going to die :(

• Alichat says:

That was my first thought too……and I’m worried. Especially since Simmons shot the HiveWard. Something tells me one of them is going to be killed by Daisy or HiveWard and I’m going to hate that.

7. Kevin Fowler says:

Just get rid of this storyline already. So Hive bought a town. Great, that much easier to end them all. I say the government just nuke the town and be done with it. Not even Hive can survive being vaporized.

8. John NYC says:

The Daisy Ward scenes are overly creepy.

9. Steve F. says:

Great Jupiter’s —-, that eyeball scene made me cringe! Nice to see John Hannah back on TV again.

Lots of great lines in tonight’s episode (Coulson admitting that Daisy’s the closest he has to a daughter), and some great moments (the debut of Hellfire, Coulson’s shield… and Fitz & Simmons crossing the event horizon!). Granted, the bad guys are a couple steps ahead of team SHIELD – and is Daisy really acting under Hive’s influence, or did he unlock her inhibitions?

10. mrmcgee says:

Lol, I thought at first he said “hotel” also.

11. Crystal says:

I think Hiveward already killed Jemma because of the “cold hands”

• Bwhit says:

As far as we know Jemma isn’t inhuman and I believe if he kills a human he has to inhabit their body or they just die right there. So I don’t think he killed Jemma. I think it was just a way to stay true to how they are with eachother and keeping things light for their first time.

12. acurat says:

Nice for Luke Mitchell to share that original table read of that scene after it aired on TV. That was fun to watch.

• Steve F. says:

The goofy smiles on Brett Dalton and Elizabeth Henstridge were priceless… and Ian de Caestecker’s reaction was spot on!

13. Neil says:

anyone else find the icy hands comments a little sus at the end of the episode!?? Little worried for Simmons :(

14. Seriously? says:

I’m already over this whole story line. We get it, Daisy wants a family. But it kind of negates the last 3 seasons where she has actually developed that with her fellow SHIELD buddies. This is so much like on Angel when Jasmine brainwashed everyone into thinking the world was so wonderful. That’s all I think of when I watch it.

15. Jooshua says:

What was the “visual gag” involving May that was teased in the ‘Inside Line’ article? If you don’t mind me asking…

16. grys03 says:

Simmons cold hands were pretty sus, considering she had run into Ward. Ward as a human villain was fun, entertaining & generally creepy. Ward as Hive is now boring. Super-powerful baddies (or heroes) can get boring – just ask Superman.
    I am thinking Daisy is faking (not sure how) & the town gets some sort of dome – like the Inhuman refuge in the comics – lock them away with an occasional escapee. That would give us some respite from Ward/Hive.
    With Hydra gone (?) there seems to be a hole in the evil-genius-bad-guys-group scenario that S.H.I.E.L.D. was setup to fight…

17. The Squatch says:

So, when the guy who was just made an inhuman was in the bar charging items with energy and tossing them at Mack, all the while trying to come up with a code name for himself, all I could think was how about Gambit Jr.? Gambitter? Gambutt? Gambit 2:Electric Boogaloo?

18. Murray says:

Cold hands and Mack is gone. Jemma is dead and controlled by hive for shooting him.

19. ALAN says:

This is pure speculation, but during the takedown of hive, was one of the targets located in wakanda (not completely sure of spelling, but I’m talking about the home of black panther). Could this be one of the events that leads to him being apart of civil war. I’ve tried pausing to see if it’s one of the places that all the attacks were carried out against hydra. I saw there were 2 targets in africa, and I’m not too keen on the geographical location of the country. Just wanted to see if anyone else has any input on it.

20. khinda says: