Post Mortems
Lucifer Finale Mom Escapes Hell

Lucifer Finale: Who Will Play [Spoiler]? And Lots More Burning Qs Answered!

Fox’s Lucifer wrapped its freshman run on Monday night by leading its titular antihero into a bit of a parent trap.

After shaking a murder wrap, Lucifer (played by Tom Ellis) was shot at close range by Malcolm, the man who’d framed him, and left to die, seeing as Chloe (Lauren German) had been nearby and made him vulnerable. Bleeding out on the airport hangar floor, he used his last breaths to appeal to “Dad,” offering to be “the son you always wanted me to be” in trade for… keeping Chloe safe, as Malcolm went gunning for his colleague.

Lucifer was spared, though, following a vision in which he returned “home” to make a startling discovery. Later, after robbing a fatally shot Malcolm of the Pentecostal coin that might save him from fresh damnation, Lucifer shared with his brother Amenadiel (DB Woodside) that during his brief return to Hell, he was tasked to hunt down a new escapee — “Mom”!

TVLine hopped on the phone with showrunner Joe Henderson to break down that mother of a twist and the finale’s other big moments.

TVLINE | Who will be playing Mom? Is it Barbara Hershey’s role to lose…?
Pitch me! What do you think? The biggest question is going to be, “Who is Mom?” We’re excited to figure out who we’re going to cast because we think it’s going to be a big, cool, meaty role for someone. I’m excited to see who we can get and what direction we take it in, lucifer-amenadiel-tallbecause that’s Season 2. Season 1 was the story of a wayward son dealing with his father issues; Season 2 is Mom.

TVLINE | You can obviously cast any ethnicity, you can go American or British…. But could you also go young? Might Mom “cheat” her years when walking Earth?
That’s one of the things we want to keep an open mind about. We just want to get the best actor. But yeah, she’s eternal to a certain extent….

TVLINE | She could be a stone-cold hottie.
Anyone who gave birth to DB Woodside and Tom Ellis probably should be, so….

TVLINE | And per mythology, Lucifer’s mother is… who?
That is one of the mysteries that we dive into. In the comics and common mythology, it’s really not something that’s been established, so this is us doing a little world building. This is us taking a step and exploring the answer to a question a lot of people never asked and staking our own claim. There are a lot of directions we can go and we’ve chosen one that we’re really excited about.

TVLINE | Will there be a specific reason why she escaped?
Yes, there is a specific reason, and she has a very specific goal in mind. She’s a formidable person and there’s a reason that Lucifer looks afraid.

TVLINE | Was that always your final scene, your final line? Had there not been a renewal, might we have been left guessing who the escapee was?
I’m very proud of the fact that that was our ending. We weren’t sure if Fox would let us to that, and Fox showed incredible faith in us by saying, “Yes, that is where to go.” There was a version for us secretly where we were going to save it for later on, into Season 2, but when Fox heard it they were like, “That’s our Season 1 finale.”

TVLINE | And you never know, that could be the last nudge an executive needs.
It’s funny, I think that it made a difference for them to hear that, to get excited about the potential. You get a sense of how much story you can get out of one word.

TVLINE | Well, as I was waiting on that one word, it of course crossed my mind that Lucifer might say “Chloe.” But I’m very glad he didn’t. Is his “vulnerability” around her part of a larger, ongoing mythology?
Yes, that is a story we will continue to tell. One of the things we tried to do was establish it, bury it, and then sucker punch the audience by bringing it up again in the third-to-last episode. So the audience would know were not forgetting these things. That’s a big part of Season 2 and Lucifer’s continuing journey.

TVLINE | Chloe seemed quite lucifer-chloe-gunmoved by Lucifer’s role in thwarting Malcolm and saving her daughter. Where might you take your “Will They/Won’t They” couple in Season 2?
One of the big things we wanted to do in Season 1 was make it about friendship more than anything. Obviously there’s this incredible chemistry between the two of them, and you want to play that “Will They/Won’t They,” but we made a very conscious effort to make this less about sex and more about emotion — which is ironic, because Lucifer kept trying to make it about sex! Lucifer thinks he can turn everything into a base desire, and Chloe is that thing that supersedes that, the person that challenges him. The fun of it was giving Lucifer a true friend in the first season, and then the question is: Where does that go in Season2 ? How deep can a friendship get? Romance often comes with that, but we want to be very careful and make sure the friendship is the most important part.

TVLINE | Will Dan, like, plea down and eventually return to the LAPD, or was that goodbye to Kevin Alejandro?
That is not goodbye to Kevin Alejandro. There is plenty more Dan story to be told. We realized after a bit that Season 1 is “The Torture of Kevin Alejandro,” [Laughs] and we will continue to torture him in Season 2.

TVLINE | Should we read anythinglucifer-maze into Maze (Lesley-Ann Brandt) vanishing after saving Amenadiel’s life? Is she perhaps a bit unsettled by the sacrifice she made, using up her “ticket back to Hell” to save him?
I will say this: It was a very conscious decision not to have Maze there. You should definitely read into that. She sacrificed her most driving desire to save, of all things, an angel. I don’t think she understands why she did it. To me, Maze is sort of the youngest emotionally of our characters, Lucifer included. Lucifer is the eternal teenager, she is more the…

TVLINE | Eternal Mean Girl?
Yeah, I’m stealing that!

TVLINE | “Luci” and Amenadiel seem to have entered the bromance stage. Is that more fun for you as writers to play with?
It is. It’s something that we’ve been building to the entire season. What I love about Tom and DB is there’s a genuine affection between them. When they get together, you feel a camaraderie. But they also know how to play the antagonism that is so important to a brotherly relationship. You see both how much they like each other and how much they hate each other, and that is a dynamic we want to continue to play as Anemadiel realizes he’s has been going about everything all wrong.

TVLINE | And how would you describe the evolving Chloe/Maze dynamic? Is it becoming one of mutual professional respect?
“Bonnie & Clyde spinoff.” We intentionally kept them apart for a number of episodes because we wanted to get to that moment of the two women in Lucifer’s life, and to a certain extent “the angel and the devil on his shoulder,” coming together to save him. What I like is these are two badass women, and for them to have a moment of mutual respect, or at least mutual understanding, was the beginning of hopefully much more story to come.lucifer-dr-linda

TVLINE | Did you end up using Rachael Harris exactly as much as you wanted to, or might her role grow in Season 2?
Listen, any show could benefit from more Rachael Harris, and we definitely plan to use her more. What I love about Dr. Linda is you get the balance of humor and emotional heft. You get fun scenes where she’s bantering with Lucifer, and you have scenes where she peels apart his emotions like an onion. When you have a tool like that, you need to use it as much as possible.

TVLINE | What else can you tease at this early stage about Season 2?
The biggest thing about Season 2 to me is we built this world, now let’s play with it. Let’s mix-and-match our characters a bit, let’s see how they play off each other. I want to see Amenadiel and Chloe spending more time together, I want to see Dan and Maze together more. I want Dr. Linda with DB more, I want to see the ramifications of the realization of the lies he has told her. What I am very proud of is that we have this amazing cast, all of whom have chemistry with each other. Now it’s up to us to put them in situations where, similar to the finale’s Chloe and Maze, we can see who else bounces off each other in ways we didn’t expect.

TVLINE | Know what else you need for Season 2? A nickname for Amenadiel.
[Laughs] We call him “Amenadude.” When Malcolm at one point calls him Amenadude, that’s because for a while some of the writers couldn’t pronounce his name, and Amenadude stuck!

Want more scoop on Lucifer, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Cheryl Kolano says:

Love the show…. very hot

2. Nicole says:

It’s funny because all season I was thinking that thank goodness Lucifer didn’t have mommy issues too and then Bam! We get hit with mom issues as the season 1 finale to launch season 2.

Love that Amenadude started in the writers’ room and then became an in show thing. And you can definitely feel the brother chemistry between Woodside and Ellis. In one season they’ve supplanted the Winchester brothers as my favorite bickering supernatual associated brother duo.

So glad this isn’t the end of Dan and definitely look forward to more Maze/Dan in season 2.

3. Daya says:

It can’t be Lillith, because the comics establish her as Mazekeen’s mother (I guess Maze is a Lilin?)…but it’s definitely going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

4. zackkattackk843 says:

It’s such a great show! Every episode was bigger than the last and everything developed so smoothly. Definitely a huge surprise this season. I’m gonna live in agony until season two airs.

5. Awesome actors…great story….love the fast pace of most episodes…I am such a fan!….make next season great also!

6. Michelle says:

Loved the finale! And thoroughly enjoyed the season as a whole. SO GLAD this show is coming back! I’m dying to know who Mom is AND to see Lucifer and Amenadude (HA!) bond more in season 2. And of course, more Chloe and Lucifer!

7. Pam says:

Rocking show! Keep it on!

8. Andrew Velasquez says:

His mother got to be Asherah because God was also know as Yahweh, and this
    God had a wife, Asherah, whom the Book of Kings suggests was worshiped alongside Yahweh in his temple in Israel, according to an Oxford scholar. In 1967, Raphael Patai was the first historian to mention that the ancient Israelites worshiped both Yahweh and Asherah.

9. Neil Klopsch says:

If they did the research, they would find that in very early Israel and Judah.. It was hinted that God had a wife named Ashara.
    Just do not be Lilith.. that would be.. wrong..

10. Chella says:

I watch Lucifer, the show is really good. There is a lot to agree about and disagree about. As far as the new concept of MOTHER GOD for SEASON 2, it may be disrespectful to some to make her evil but the concept is actually good and there is a real church literally!! that believes actually believes in a mother god; but she’s good not bad and father God loves her but waits until revelation (the “end times” to reveal her to the world) just as Eve was revealed hidden in Adam last (“last days”, Adam Father God’s image, Eve Mother God’s image “mother of all the living”) etc. It goes much deeper but to keep it brief lol. There are many verses and parables in the Bible that talk about her believe or not! Two of the most direct verses are Revelation 21:2 and Galatians 4:26. So although the Catholic Church and theology/ doctrine don’t talk about it/her, they honestly may have over looked it or the superiority mind set of men wouldn’t allow the truth that to have a Father it would only make sense to have a Mother like everything else in creation. Humans were made in God’s image male & female Genesis 1:26-28 I believe that’s the verse. Food for thought!! Interesting to see where season 2 goes with this concept!

11. Donell Ritchie says:

Love this show, I’m addicted and can’t wait till season 2

12. Michelle Gloria says:

Lucifer was, by far, my favorite new series this year! Great writing and acting! Can’t wait for the new season.

13. "A" says:

I vote for Fionnula Flanagan, Donna Mills, Meg Foster, Lena Olin, Madeline Stowe, Claudia Black, or Amy Acker as Lucifer’s mother.

( Eloise Hawking – Lost, Abby Ewing – Knots Landing, Josephine LaRue – The Originals, Irina Derevko – Alias, Victoria Grayson – Revenge, Dahlia – The Originals, Illyria – Angel )

14. J. Norman says:

Chloe is still going to have to address the issue of why she shot an LAPD detective to death.

Remember, the LAPD knows nothing of this return from Hell business.

She (and Lucifer) have just killed an active detective. Sure they can try to explain it, but would they (or should they) be believed .

Probably too time comsuming for the writers so the situation will be glossed over or even totally ignored at the start of next season.

15. Brittany Davis says:

This is an awesome series. Loved the world they built, and glad they get a sophmore season to now play with it. And absolutely love they are bringing “Mom” into it! Can’t wait for Season 2!

16. Edna says:

I love this show , and can’t wait for season 2. I hope Fox lets them have more than 13 episodes next season, it’s too good a show not to. I love the relationship between Lucifer and Chloe, they are both great actors, as are the rest of the amazing cast. THe actor who played Malcolm did an outstanding job. It wouldn’t have sounded right for Lucifer to have said Mom at the end, being english myself Mum was better. Loved the finale.

• jodelemn says:

I think they are and will remain at 13 if there will be more than 2 seasons.. 13 is Lucifer’s number right?
      (Excited for season 2!)

17. Jlamprecht says:

Can not wait for Season 2! Although Maze is a demon, did her “selflessness” earn her a halo?

18. Will says:

I just wanna know if at least Chloe will finally believe that he is the devil. That’s the money moment I’m waiting for. He’s very open about it but hides it from her at the same time.

19. AddiM says:

Awesome series. I can’t wait for season 2. DB & Tom play off each other really well. Hope to see more of that bromance especially now that mum is on the loose.

20. mathis says:

I’m addicted to Lucifer but why isn’t there anyone who believes him and amenadiel about heaven and hell

21. Amy Lawless says:

I’m throwing Michelle Forbes’ name in the ring for mum.

22. Michael TAA says:

I seriously enjoy this new perspective of the angel Lucifer. Written old text straight out of the books to send temptation and punish those who are evil. A job obviously for the right hand of God. He could task no other angel with that responsibility, only Lucifer was trusted so much.

Here’s a thought, when ate the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, it was considered the birth of original sin. That which she was then punished For. And afterwards God hid the tree of eternal life.

To the vast and crew: “Great Job and keep up the good work. I look forward to future episodes.”
    Oh yes, and “Good work and Father’s Speed to you all.

23. DarkDefender says:

Thanks for getting Intel on season 2 of Lucifer, Matt! I knew you were going to like it.
    #DarksideAlwaysWins

24. Draz Ekiel says:

Not a bad finale, It was pretty stupid though how Lucifer vanished more than once into thin air, and neither Dan, nor chloe and the officer’s she was with batted an eyelid, then he get’s shot with blood all over him, and again Chloe doesnt bat an eyelid. She just says “Oh, I thought he killed you…”. Really? Lol
    She doesn’t believe he’s the devil, and yet she doesn’t freak out about him vanishing and surviving a gunshot to the abdomen..She acted like it was an everyday occurence..rofl

• Kristin says:

Which is why Lucifer thinks/thought she was an angel in disguise. But I don’t necessarily think she’s an angel in disguise. I tend to think that she could possibly be the enlightened one. Like in the da Vinci code

• Grown says:

By now, she has seen enough to believe just about anything when it comes to him…that narrative developed beautifully throughout the season. The little things added up..Now she seemingly believes that he is something above and beyond what’s ‘normal’.

• kris says:

I was a little disappointed that she didn’t show a little more emotion for his saving her and her child, i just figured that was because the show was picked up for season 2 so, they wanted to make sure to cool down their responses to each other so they can drag it along for an eternity. But, I still thought that part was off and it kind of made the finale kind of meh for me.

25. BM says:

Loved the season finale! And I can never get enough of Lucifer and Amenadiel working together! They actors are just great together. Could do without Chloe though and I certainly won’t mind if she got back together with Dan. Don’t really want Lucifer and Chloe together, so I really hope they continue to keep them as friends. Don’t think that Lucifer needs to fall in love, there is so much else the character can do and that they can explore! Hope next season is as great as this one was!

26. Patrick says:

My son is an astute Historian and believes “Mom” will be Lylith – who was Adams first wife – before Eve – all demons came from her – she is the mother of all demons! also explains Maze’s “disappearance” at the end…

• sabretruthtiger says:

But demons were created after angels and Lilith is herself a demon, therefore she could not have given birth to angels unless they’re changing the lore, which seems to be the case.

• skyebright8 says:

God has a wife in Jewish lore called Ashara

• Me says:

Unless he is academically trained your son is no historian. That claim offends those of us who actually are academically trained in the field.

• romanjoe952 says:

Really? Someone having an interest in history and POSSIBLY getting an answer incorrect is reason to be offended? Kind of a pompous a**, aren’t we? I hate to tell you, Mr. Academia, but there is no gaurantee you’re correct, either. “Unless he is academically trained.” Too funny, what an a**hole.

• romanjoe952 says:

“Unless he is academically trained”……MAN! I’m still crackin’ up – So, you can only interpret a book if someone else tells you what it means? Lol…….

27. sabretruthtiger says:

Here we go as predicted, the insertion of feminism, the old feminist bait and switch they do with every show now. Set up a powerful male character have him gradually lose his power and get outplayed or overpowered by a woman near the end.
    Lucifer is the next most powerful being after God, the first and greatest of the angels, there was no mother despite the show Supernatural creating a ‘God’s sister’ in a feminist twist.

I’m so sick of every show doing this. Damn Marxist social engineers.

28. Andy Perkins says:

when does cloe relize he is the devil

29. Ty Yerbury says:

I love the character Lucifer. Great Actor choice. He is so much fun to watch. I can’t get enough on how this actor chose to play Lucifer. So upset that I won’t get to see him until next season. I think this story is new and interesting. I hope the writer’s get bold. I really think if the writer’s produce a great script this cast could take it to number 1 show. The main characters are intriguing. I would like the little girl in the script. So is a fun little girl, that see right through everything

30. Bobi Becker says:

I have loved this show since day one…..It is, beyond a doubt, AMAZING and Superb……There are NO Shows on TV that even come close to being a great as Lucifer Morningstar……Totally LOVE IT…..

31. Tina says:

Just so happy that Lucifer gets a second season. It is such s funny and entertaining show. Love it!!!

32. Scott says:

OK, here’s my speculation… Lucifer is the angelic incarnation of Cain making Amenadiel his brother Abel therefore ‘dad’ is Adam and ‘mom’ is Eve and Maze, after her act of selflessness, disappeared to join Eve when she escaped hell.

33. Sandra says:

My husband and I love that show!
    Actors or awsome and very talented.
    Love Lucifer!
    Can’t wait for season 2, 3, 4, 5,6, 7 etc…
    We’ll never get enough of that show.
    A huge thank you to the producer and writers of that show.
    Can’t wait for season 2.

34. Dan neice Johnson says:

I loved season 1. My vote for Mom, would she do it, is Barbra Streisand. Tie in the music angle with Lucifer, juicy!!!!

35. Samantha says:

I love this show I’m so glad they made another show for Tom Ellis I was disappointed when I found out his other show “Rush” would not have a season 2 I’m glad “Lucifer” will.

• Anna Karima says:

Of course they cancelled Rush. He was a drug addict. Couldn’t have the doctor of debauchery competing with – well you fill in the blanks. I don’t want the comment censored. But yes, I am grateful they gave Tom Ellis another show and basically he’s the same character without the drug habit and much more power.

36. James Williams says:

I truly love the TV show Lucifer . It’s a cool original concept . You can’t help but love lucifers charm and wit . Also seeing him deal with the conflicts of his emotions and his desires . It seems to be a very rounded out show. I hope the show lasts for much more than two seasons .

37. I liked the Imagery of hell kinda looking ‘frozen over.’ Lucifer has to mention that what appears to be snow in hell, is actually ash, but not a hint of warmth in the entire scene. No clear signage directing one to the ‘lake of fire.’
    Seriously though, it’s kinda of a thing like – “Hey can she ever get out?” “When hell freezes over.”

38. andrew says:

the show is kinda boring ! Lucifer is far to comedic he is not serious enough . I think it should embrace hes darker side more instead of being this comedic show like the big bang theory . in my opinion the Lucifer in ( supernatural ) is portrayed much better with a splash of comedian and curly / wicked , devil may care complex that’s an original Lucifer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. James D says:

Loved it. I’m excited to see where they take it. I have two requests though. 1) please delve deeper into the Comics, Lucifer is one of the best characters from Vertigo and they’ve barely skimmed the surface of the character. I really hope they don’t turn this into a dull procedural it would be a waste of a great character, especially hope they don’t shy away from exploring more of his powers because he is among the most powerful of any DC character. 2) I would love it if they could get Matt Ryan to play Constantine on a few episodes they have a history in the books and it would be awesome to see Matt Ryan again. (or you could just bring back Constantine…A guy can hope right?)

40. Cathy says:

Can Chris Meloni guest star in an episode? I really liked him with Rachael Harris in Surviving Jack.

41. mooshki says:

I hope they can find something interesting for Dan to do, because his character was a big drag on this season.

42. Ashleigh says:

Love the story, so different, excited for more! I like what I’ve learned about Lucifer.

43. Outside_85 says:

Probably Lilith since, in the books atleast, she is practically the mother of half the monsters thats out and about in the world.
    It doesnt, after all, have to be Lucifers mother… since I dont believe he or any of the angels have one.

• Anna Karima says:

Angels can recreate as the fallen ones according to lore, came down and mingled so to speak with humans and that brought about Noah’s Ark to destroy what the fallen ones had caused to be created.

44. Chris says:

THE NEW FORMAT OF THE WEBSITE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY IN EVERY WAY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. Kurt Wims says:

Lucifer such a surprisingly good show.

46. M A says:

Seriously a fuuuuuun show. Both hubby and I enjoy the humor as well as the drama. Way too many shows take themselves way too seriously. Can’t wait til next season, hopefully it comes quickly!

47. Sarah says:

So glad it’s going to get a new season 2 love this show hope many more follow now when is it back on miss it already

48. Bark Star says:

… and you want to play that “Will They/Won’t They,” – No, you really don’t. Its boring and uninspired and has been done to death in a thousand TV shows before.

49. One thing that’s important to me is that Chloe and Lucifer NOT get together. He’s just trying to get with her because of lust, which is fine. But in reality, it’s more playful than real emotion. I felt a fun, platonic relationship between these two characters, which despite what Billy Crystal thinks, is possible. I don’t want the will they or won’t they cliche.

They have a good thing going.

I also enjoy the chemistry between Lucifer and Chloe’s daughter.

Here’s the thing though–I have a fun theory about this show.

So God is all knowing, and all powerful. Even the Devil knows that. Essentially, God is the ultimate badass. If that’s the case, if God wants Lucifer back in hell, he just sends him back to hell. He didn’t do that. He sent an angel to get the job done but didn’t empower that angel to just wave his hand and send him back.

Even this finale–Lucifer’s mom. God could have prevented her escape or sent her back instantaneously because well, he’s God.

So one question we have is why wouldn’t he?

Answer–what if the show isn’t about the quest to send Lucifer back to hell? What if the show is about God’s plan to redeem Lucifer?

Lucifer is a fallen angel, so that means he was an angel. God punished him by sending him to rule in hell, but after several thousand years, maybe God is giving Lucifer a shot at redemption. Why else would he let him stay on Earth?

Maybe God chose Chloe as a means of helping Lucifer get on that right path? He makes him vulnerable around her. His power to persuade doesn’t work on her. Basically, around her, he gets a taste of what it’s like to be a human. He starts using his powers to punish bad people, rather than tempt good people. And he does nice things.

When that happens, he feels human emotions toward her, and not pure evil. The mortality could have been a test, and when Lucifer got shot, his dying wish was for God to protect Chloe–something I would consider passing the test.

Until this week’s episode, my thinking was that he would redeem Lucifer, and DB Woodside’s character would be a fallen angel, and rule hell in Lucifer’s place, but the buddy team up kind of screwed with that theory.

• Kristin says:

God gave all of his creations, even angels free will. And not even God himself can interfere with that. That is how Lucifer rebelled in the first place. Which is why God can’t just waved his hand and send Lucifer back to hell.

• Free will? Absolutely. However, at no point is free will questioned. If this is truly a redemption story, then God is TESTING Lucifer. God is all about TESTING. If you pass the test, that’s a good thing.

But as for God waving his hand and sending Lucifer back to hell, that’s not a denial of free will. It’s a denial of access to Earth and defying God. God didn’t like Sodom and Gomorrah, so he wiped them off the map.

God liked that Lucifer’s last wish was selfless, so he let him OUT of hell.

But going to hell is not something Lucifer can choose. Who WOULD choose that? I would think everyone in hell would want out. But the answer is no. So if someone manages to escape, God can easily send that person back there without messing with free will. They would be going against their will, but they would be going. Here, I think the reason God isn’t sending Lucifer back to hell is because Lucifer is being tested. God is reevaluating.

• Justin says:

See however I think it’s a story about Something else Before the girl came into The devil’s life Remember he was still trying to help People that was good Like Hence the supermodelBefore he even met Detective He was helping her to get her life on track Until she was shotSo the whole detective story doesn’t really make senseMy take on it Someone in ancestry with an Angel Maybe she’s the reborn female version of Constantine And I agreeGod would never mess with nothing like free will Even the devil has it That’s why he runs rapid And prey on people In those timeAnd that’s why he give his human The strength To deny him So yeah I get why you think the story is about something else Will about Redemption I just think it about Him Understanding Humanity

• Jake says:

Agreed about it potentially being a redemption story, I’ve written the same in other posts.

50. Sandi says:

We love Lucifer! It is our favorite new show. We end up laughing a lot every episode but also enjoying the more serious plot aspects. The writers are absolutely terrific. Hopefully this format will continue through season 2.