Saturday Night Live Prince

Saturday Night Live Honors Prince With Touching Tribute Special — Video

In lieu of a new episode, or even a recent rerun, Saturday Night Live this weekend dedicated its entire 90-minute block to honoring the late, great Prince.

Titled “Goodnight, Sweet Prince,” the show’s Jimmy Fallon-hosted tribute recalled Prince’s multiple appearances throughout SNL‘s run; on the books, he was a three-time musical guest in 1981, 2006 and 2014. The special also re-aired a few sketches in which Fred Armisen played the legendary rocker.

To top off the evening, Fallon introduced a bit of never-before-seen (or at least rarely seen) footage from Saturday Night Live‘s 40th anniversary special afterparty in 2015: a totally unplanned performance of “Let’s Go Crazy.” As Fallon explained, SNL boss Lorne Michaels made instruments available for anyone looking to play — which is just what you do when you have guests like Paul McCartney in attendance — and Prince eventually took the stage.

(For those wondering, SNL returns May 7 [11:30/10:30c] with host Brie Larson and musical guest Alicia Keys.)

Hit PLAY on the afterparty performance below — this particular video was not an official NBC release — and drop a comment with your thoughts.

1. Joey Padron says:

Great performance from SNL 40 after party. Cool to see some of SNL alum cast members rocking out with Prince on stage.

2. Laura says:

So cool to see Martin Short and Bill Murray rocking it in the background!

3. Mark says:

Great special, but did they really honor him or use his death for ratings? They had every right to run the special, but it was not commercial free.

• Aeol says:

Are you going around saying that about every show or network that has done a Prince special or run his content? People want the Purple One, they’re in a position to give it. I wish I’d known this special was even on, so it’s not like it was some hugely advertised special. It was done in the heat of the moment, just like every other special out there.

4. The Beach says:

Jimmy Fallon looks so freakin’ wasted :-)

• Alisa says:

He was def wasted in the video, he also appeared disheveled, tired, and drunk while hosting the snl special. I think he has a drinking problem, I feel sorry for his wife!

5. texmike says:

Jimmy likes his booze.

6. Bernadette Baker says:

How can I get a recording of Saturday Night Live of Prince as I forgot to record it?

7. Andrea says:

Normally, SNL is not my thing, but I watched it last night because of Prince. One thing that I noticed about the afterparty clip was that i saw it posted somewhere else on line. That clip showed Prince greeting the crowd with “Dearly inebriated” to which everyone laughed. SNL likely cut that part out. I enjoyed the special.

8. iHeart says:

To those of you saying that Jimmy was drunk, to be fair this special was obviously a last minute thing, so Jimmy probably didn’t have enough time to rehearse

9. Carrie says:

I really enjoyed their tribute. It was a special way to honor a special artist. Loved the Prince Show sketches. They were hilarious.

10. Too Late Kev says:

I enjoyed the Prince clips, but I thought showing Fred Armisen’s “Prince Show” was in poor taste for a supposed tribute show. They could have brought in more SNL-related people to tell their stories of Prince and how he mattered to them. The 2nd half of the show was a train wreck.

• christopher bee says:

This was xactly my thought. And i´ve hated the never ending commercials. Man I woke up at 6:30 AM European time to watch an celebrate too. Loved Jimmy´s humble love for the man.

11. I am 55 year old music lover that is positive we just lost the most talented musician of the last half century! Heaven now plays even sweeter music if that is possible✝😄✝😄✝😉✝😉

12. purpleaspie says:

“The uploader has not made this video available in your country.”

13. Alisa says:

That pic above made me laugh!!