Power Rangers Movie Rita Repulsa

Power Rangers Movie: Elizabeth Banks' Rita Repulsa Costume Revealed

Did Lionsgate hire Poison Ivy as a wardrobe consultant for the new Power Rangers movie?

The studio on Tuesday revealed (via People) the first photo of Elizabeth Banks as the iconic villain Rita Repulsa — you know, the one who lived in a dumpster for 10,000 years — and it’s getting some mixed reviews. (Can you believe it? Mixed reviews, on the internet?)

If you were a faithful viewer of the original Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers series — which ran on Fox from 1993 to 1996, before spawning the countless Ranger variations we’ve come to accept today — you’ll notice Rita’s costume (above) received a few tweaks on its way to the big screen:

On Facebook, Elizabeth Banks referred to her costume as a “simple, daytime look.”

The movie, slated for a 2017 release, serves as a reboot of sorts, introducing five new actors — Dacre Montgomery (the Red Ranger), RJ Cyler (Blue), Ludi Lin (Black), Becki G. (Yellow) and Naomi Scott (Pink) — as the characters from the original series.

But back to what’s important right now: Grade Banks’ villainous look below, then drop a comment with more of your thoughts.

1. Hopefully just one of among multiple outfits and hair styles.

2. Mike says:

I buy the picture. I sell in her as Rita.

3. N says:

Even if you don’t like it you gotta admit that shade of green is her color

4. Marco says:

She actually looks more like a villain for a Live-Action Pretty Cure movie!

5. Myself says:

My problem ith this is… WHY SHE NEEDS TO BE THIS SEXY SLIMMING GORGEOUS VILLAIN? Here’s the beauty of Rita in the series… She’s bad, She’s not that cute, and she’s awesome like that. Lose out Sexyville. Nest stop… the women’s outfit as poer rangers will look like dominatrix meets the rainbow…

6. Dennis says:

Ummmm

I mean….

She looks great but the costume itself…
    I mean… does it have to be so green Lolol

7. Bartimeus says:

Is it weird that I’m nearly 30 years old and kinda excited for this movie? Ha.

• sammy says:

Also nearly 30 and very excited… watched mmpr as a kid andloved it. Im hoping it isnt corny… not wierd. #childofthe90s

• Tai says:

I’m a little over 30 and I’m kinda hyped for this movie. Power Rangers was my afterschool thing. I remember my dad and I would watch and then I would do homework.

8. Roger Buchana says:

She’s finally her own identity now with this. The ”original” was based on the actual Sentai character Bandora.

9. JP says:

I like it and I like the fact that they didnt try to make it look like the original because that could have gone so bad. The only issue is she doesnt fully look like a villain so Im hoping to see some footage of Banks portrayal which Im sure will be delightful.

10. Jay says:

Looks a lot more like, Divatox than Rita. Still dig it though.

11. peterwdawson says:

Decent costume, but of course when you hear who the character is for, then the problems arise. While I can live with this design I’ll be annoyed if it ends up lacking any kind of amazing headgear and, more importantly, a magic wand that makes her monsters grow. Right now she looks like like the child Divatox adopted with Poison Ivy, with Scorpina serving as a the godmother.

12. Lola says:

It’s definitely different from the original Rita but she does look bad a**.

13. A says:

She looks more like Scorpina in this outfit. OMG! I’m 29 years old and I remember the names of PR villains.

14. Tony says:

I like it. Though I do agree it looks more like a mixture of other PR villains (Divatox, Scorpina, Trakeena, Elsa, etc..) than what we are used to seeing Rita look like. However, it would be cool if this is just her look for the first movie and the theory many have about how this look connects to the Green Ranger powers comes true. Once the Rangers get the Green Power Coin, she’ll revert to something closer to her original look. Of course, that’s all speculation

15. Will says:

As an avid watcher of the original series (and a few of the later seasons.. Zeo, Turbo, TimeForce, DinoThunder) I’m super BUMMED by this photo. I get they want to update it for a newer generation but c’mon – that is NOT Rita Repulsa.

16. charlie says:

No. Why is it green? Where’s her crazy hat/hair??

17. Jason says:

No wonder she’s a villain. I’d be pretty cranky to if I had to wear that.

18. Pia says:

We must have different definitions for the word “few.”

19. mike says:

Poor Elizabeth. Feel sorry for her in advance for being in this garbage

20. Kollin says:

unless it is one of multiple costumes, its bad