Good Wife Peter Arrested

The Good Wife Recap: Arrested Developments

So, after several weeks of pre-emptions, we learned Alicia’s answer to Peter’s “one last favor” request/cliffhanger — even if it wasn’t shown on screen. But the fact that The Good Wife‘s titular protagonist did a solid for her soon-to-be-ex, and held off on publicly announcing her intent to divorce the Illinois governor, hardly matters in relation to the way this Sunday’s episode ended.

With barely a moment’s hesitation, Alicia finally got real with her reason for (not) getting out of bed in the morning (AKA that tattooed hunk of sexual energy named Jason Crouse).

“What do you want?” asked Jason, after a few days of tense phone calls and stilted conversations in the wake of Alicia telling him about her decision to formally end her marriage.

And, knowing she’s with a man who above all else likes to keep things simple, Alicia limited her response to a single, well-place syllable: “You.”

It almost doesn’t matter how Jason responds. He could sling Alicia over his shoulder, take her to the bed and leave nothing but the skin over her bones*, or he could sprint to the nearest airport and return to the land of hipster beards and earnest energy where Courtney Paige (remember her!?) sent him midway through the season. No matter the case, Alicia is finally saying “Yes!” to authentic living, “Yes!” to her own personal needs as a human being, and “No!” to unnecessary obligation and judgment from the people around her/the world at large. (*Yep, that’s a Moonstruck reference.)

And with only a few weeks until The Good Wife takes its final bow, that’s the kind of character development that makes me extraordinarily happy. (Now, if Cary could just take his Lockhart-Lee exit money and wind up in an isolated beach hut with Kalinda — the way Olivia and Jake did on Scandal once upon a time, then I might have to dial 1-800-Flowers and see if they have an address on file for Robert and Michelle King!)

With that said, let’s recap the major plot points from Season 7, Episode 19, “Landing”:

The Good Wife Alicia“SO WE’RE RIGHT BACK WHERE WE STARTED, HUH?” | Yep, that quote from Peter to Alicia says it all. Righteous but still kinda weasel-y U.S. Attorney Connor Fox has Peter arrested for arranging a mistrial in the case of a donor’s son’s murder trial — in exchange for campaign donations. And despite a promise to schedule the arrest on Peter’s terms, Connor ambushes him at Alicia’s apartment and subjects him to a handcuffed perp walk for the media. Alicia’s last-minute intervention — slapping a tie on her estranged hubby and walking alongside him — proves more emotionally stirring than I’d anticipated, but in the end, Mr. Fox’s best plea deal is three years — not merely probation, but actual jail time. Is Peter guilty? He hasn’t said he’s innocent to Alicia — and that leads me to believe that once again he’s put his wingtip shoe right into a pile of ethical doo-doo. Now, the question is whether or not Mike Tascione, Eli Gold and that little dog can find a loophole to save him.

CHRISTINE BARANSKI, I MIGHT MISS YOU MOST OF ALL | A key subplot finds Diane’s husband Kurt coming to her with what looks like a suggestion to divorce, seeing how they’ve spent maybe 98 days together in their first three years of marriage. It turns out, though, he just wants to sell his business and move in together, news that makes our hard-charging legal eagle knock her teeth into Kurt’s (before they presumably knock boots). When Kurt asks her to review the contracts for his company’s sale, Diane realizes her man has hugely undervalued his business — and is planning to sell it to a pert, blonde Republican gal (the fantastic Megan Hilty) who is exactly his brand of weakness. Diane’s likely f-bomb detonation is cut off by some crafty editing, but needless to say she is not feeling Kurt’s handshake agreement. When he comes to her office later, we expect the worst, but he puts his pride aside, his bank account in his line of vision and his love for Diane above all else. He’ll find another buyer, he says. And Diane’s tearful response is a thing of subtle, joyous beauty. Can some smart network cast Ms. Baranski in a fall 2016 pilot: I can’t live without my weekly dose, dammit!

107918_0073bCASE OF THE WEEK | The “C-list Edward Snowden” (Zach Woods’ Jeff Dellinger) is back in a loopy, Canada-centric case that’s full of Good Wife whimsy and perhaps one last showing for the NSA boys. Alicia and Lucca (who’s not a fan of our “too clean” northern neighbors — LOL) eventually get Jeff asylum in Canada — and learn in the process just how much of a wire tap the NSA has on Alicia. I mean, that hot mic business is intensely unnerving, no? I like that we see flashes of Lucca’s patriotism — Jeff’s intel spilling to Wikileaks is “treason” the plucky associate notes, making me crave a Cush Jumbo-led spinoff — but Alicia notes Jeff’s not their first guilty client.

IN OTHER NEWS | Jason gets hired by Mike to investigate how solid Connor’s case is — awkward, since he’s totes unaware of the Jason-Alicia dynamic — but when Mr. Crouse goes to visit Cary (who was working in the state’s attorney office under Peter) he realizes that Alicia’s one-time business partner may or may not be a damning witness. “Does Peter have any reason to be concerned about you?” Jason asks. To which Cary replies, “Only if he has reason to be concerned about the truth.” Rated D… for Day-um!

What did you think of this week’s Good Wife? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Rob says:

Was anyone else’s CBS in black and white and/or very dull colors this evening?

2. Stacey says:

These last hours have reminded me why I fell in love with this show 7 years ago.

3. Linds says:

David Lee was priceless after Meagan Hilty left the conference room. The look on his face! 😂

4. ken says:

Now I see why the series is ending…as a Canadian I found the Justice of the Peace stereotyped and a nauseating version of a ” morally superior” Canadian. Our version of the NSA (CSIS) is every bit as insidious and intrusive as the US version.

• abz says:

The “about” thing annoyed me. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Canadian pronounce the word the way the stereotype says that we do. The show is definitely better than that.
      I did however love the fact that they went to Toronto and I did chuckle the way Alicia said ToronTo. I always say it like ToronO without pronouncing the second T as most people I know do. I don’t just a small thing that amused me.

5. Chris says:

I don’t buy Alicia and Jason at all.

Peter’s legal troubles is just a very convenient and contrived plot. The KIngs lost interest in this character a long time ago … he means nothing to me as a result.

6. Nancy B says:

Excellent recap! Perfect color here in CA

7. bridyyc says:

What we didn’t see is whatever deal Alicia made with Peter to stand by his side. This will come up in the finale, I’m sure. And I don’t think that we have seen the end of the NSA guys. My gut says that this NSA stuff comes to play in Peter’s case somehow.

8. This season has been so good, it’s sad to think there are only three episodes left!

9. abz says:

The look of horror on Alicia’s face when it was finally revealed to her that she’s been spied on for years by the NSA was one of my favorite moments of the episode. And the scene we’re she’s arguing with the opposing lawyer over the panel and Lt. Hicks being fired was so heated. It’s scenes like those that I live for. This show does them so well.
    Honestly I was just tearing up at some points during this episode just because I know its almost over. I have loved this show so damn much for the past seven seasons. I have been obsessed. I tried to get so many friends to watch it and only managed to convince like two or three people, but I never gave up. This show will forever be one of the best shows ever to be on television, flaws and all. I can’t believe its ending.

• cp1945 says:

I agree with you completely. Its departure is going to leave a huge hole in my schedule and my heart.

• Bo says:

OMG I feel the same way. I have loved this show since 2009, it is so well written and acted. I recommended the show to 3 friends of mine but non of them wanted to watch it because they hate lawyer shows. They really don’t know what they are missing.

10. grazelled says:

What I thought was great that didn’t get covered in the recap was after Alicia realized her phones had been wiretapped for a long time she and Lucca used that to their advantage. The look of horror on the faces of the CSIS and NSA cubicle listeners was hilarious once they realized the jig was up. They knew Canada’s CSIS would be interested in their client so they hatched the plan to say just enough in their calls for the Canadian official to want to keep C-List Snowden so “her Worship” granted asylum lol. Well played!

• Lisa G says:

Loved it. I would definitely watch a sitcom with our NSA friends if they brought back Dellinger and friend. :)

11. Sally Mander says:

The only reason she wants a divorce now is because she has another man? I guess a man wrote this.

12. katy says:

I have watched from the beginning, its now a habit for me, but I can’t help myself when Alicia and Jason are on the screen, I automatically change the channel for a minute or two, they make my gag reflex engage. This sow has gone consistently down since Will was killed off and Kalinda left, now Cary is brushed aside like last nights garbage. I hope there is some kind of closure for all of the cast. I know Zack is supposed to be away at school, but I find it odd that Grace(A high school student) is never at home, while Jason apparently has his own key and is continually in Alicia’s bed, did she just cast her daughter aside so she can walk in the door, hoist a glass and jump into bed all of the time…….just wondering(is she a drunk)?

• Puchinsmom says:

Wondering the same thing about Grace, katy. And it seems strange that Jason never seems to have to get out of bed in the mmorning. Yet he works for like,everybody….I was happy Alicia and Jason finally got together. But their scenes have been a bit gag inducing. (Can’t even think about that scene in the bar. THAT was too yucky for words).

• Jeri says:

Agree with everything Katy says. Also, now Alicia always has to have a man and that comes first, before her family, except for public moments. She is now shown as very shallow and vain.

13. Tracy288 says:

I am going to miss this show so much!!! For the final ep, I want a flash forward 5 years showing Alicia happily shacked up with Jason and Peter no where to be seen.

14. Tony says:

Truly not getting Alicia and Jason. The pairing is too convenient and somehow never rang true. The chemistry is ambivalent too – they make nice friends, but romantically, they are awkward.

15. Deion says:

This has been quite a ride. I will miss The Good wife, and I am glad that CBS realized that no one could tell this story like the Kings. While I do think that Alicia is a little too gaga over Jason there is a distinct difference in this relationship versus the one with Will. With Alicia, Will wanted her but was too afraid of the possibility of rejection to fight for her. With Jason, it is Alicia in that position. It’s ok considering that we always knew it would be Alicia’s interest in another man once her children left home that would fuel her split from Peter, but it seems rushed. The loss of Matthew Goode and Finn backed the Kings into a corner. They spent the good portion of a season and a half making Finn into Alicia’s endgame, only to lose him before they could pull the trigger. So they had to create the coolest man on earth for her. Moving too fast to get to the end of their story. But if that is the only problem I have with the end of this show, I will be happy.

16. luli101 says:

Really loved the episode, especially the tie for Peter and perp walk. The only thing I didn’t like was the line delivery at the end when she is talking with Jason. It was the only thing of JM’s on this show where I have been pulled out of the scene. It seemed so artificial–which I get was the point–but a little overdone for me.

17. Geo says:

I don’t read Alicia’s “you” as quite as sincere as she might even be telling herself. One of the things that scene also shows us is how frustrated she is with Jason’s constant obscuring of what he’s about or what he wants. Let’s remember that she still knows virtually nothing about Jason (and mainly because he’s telling her virtually nothing)– is that the basis of a good relationship? I was so happy when she finally started to get mad at him putting her off with yet another “well what do YOU want?” For somebody who pretends to want simplicity all the time, Jason sure has problems answering any direct question, doesn’t he?

• Kroger1939lady says:

Silly thinking but maybe Jason realizes there’s nothing there for him with Alicia because of her motherly attachment to Peter AND because he is really a relative or friend of the young girl who was shot in the Lock case. Give me a break …. A guy with that much talent and good looks and charm and good looks and charm and yadda yadda yadda isn’t going to interview with an attorney who works out of her home; and, no one who kisses a girl like Jason did in that restaurant, would be interested in an older woman with that much baggage. In my little fairytale life though, I still want to believe in a prince but don’t think the Kings can deliver. Love the ladies’ clothes and Jason’s jackets!

18. Steve says:

I’ve watched since day one and have missed about a half dozen shows over the years. I’m curious (because it may been one I missed), have we actually ever seen Peter in bed with another woman since the pilot episode? Is it possible that he has actually remained faithful since then? I apologize if need to be corrected but like I said, I did miss a about 6 or so shows. It would be quite a bomb to Alicia if he actually had stayed faithful in part 2 of the marriage. Thanks for any info to catch me up to speed.

• cp1945 says:

Haven’t seen a bed scene, but he did have an affair with Ramona(?), a mutual friend with Alicia, 2 seasons ago. Peter is no saint.

• quickburst says:

I’m not so sure about the Ramona affair. That was never fully confirmed. I also think it was well after her indiscretions with Will and her campaign manager and after Alicia & Peter’s “arrangement”

• Steve says:

I remember the Ramona thing and it seemed that ‘things’ were heading that way but then Eli crushed it and got Peter to agree pretty easily so it wasn’t quite ‘there’. I’m wondering if they’re going to flip one on us and have this come out. I don’t think Peter is going to give up quite so easily…

• Hbomb says:

There were definitely tears, I think that confirmed it. Remember, they talk in the limo? Ramona cries? I’m guessing that is because they were already sleeping together, if not having an emotional affair.

19. Bo says:

I loved the scene were Alice jumped in to put a tie on Peter and put the DA in his place as she is doing it.

20. bagelboy17 says:

worst one in a long time

21. susan schulz says:

why would you cancel one of the best shows on tv..I am quite sure supergirl will win no emmys..that is one of the shows that should be cancelled. I looked forward each sunday to watching this show. I am very dissapointed with this decision to end this show. the great actors on this show made it and these are some of the best on tv today.way to go cbs. now back to watching more mediocre at best progamming