Fear the Walking Dead Recap

Fear the Walking Dead Recap: Catrina and the Waves (Goodbye)

In an apocalyptic situation, you would think that the best kind of people to encounter would be survivalists, right? Survival is in their name, so they oughta be pretty good at it. But, after the crew of the Abigail met the Armageddon-ready Geary family in this week’s Fear the Walking Dead, that notion was so thoroughly dispelled that not one but two characters wound up being turned. Who were the unlucky stiffs? Read on…

‘WE’RE NOT A THREAT!’ | Since Strand & Co. needed someplace to hide until their mysterious pursuer had passed them by — and since the log book that Nick retrieved from the ill-fated Lee Ann revealed that San Diego wasn’t safe — they decided to slip under the radar in a cove off Catrina Island. That evening, as the yacht approached its destination, Madison spotted a light going on — and, just as quickly, going back off — in the window of a home on shore. So, when Strand dropped anchor, she, Travis, Nick, Alicia and Chris went to pay its occupants a house call. (Daniel stayed behind with Ofelia to make sure Strand didn’t take off without them.)

Outside the Geary residence, Travis yelled three words that, even in the non-zombie-infested world of today, would probably get the welcome mat rolled up on him: “We need help.” But, this being fiction, the honest approach worked, and in no time, he was learning from man of the house George that everyplace from Portland to Vancouver had been napalmed; Maddie was drinking wine with George’s wife, Melissa — and, for some reason, letting teenage Alicia drink, too; Nick was adorably bonding with the Gearys’ moppets, Harry and Willa; and Chris was being almost as standoffish as the Gearys’ older son, Seth. Particularly noteworthy: Melissa’s questions about whether Maddie liked young kids and Harry’s revelation to Nick that his whole family took “power pills” in order to stay together. Hmm…

‘SOMETHING IS OFF HERE’ | Back aboard the Abigail, Ofelia momentarily gave her father hope that she was contemplating forgiveness when she said that her growing understanding of the new world was helping her understand him, too. How so? Because, like him, “it’s cruel.” (Maybe next week, buddy. Maybe next week.) To raise his spirits, Daniel hovered over Strand — as the captain put it — “like the specter of death” and analyzed his every utterance. For instance, when Strand cracked that he didn’t want to offer their pursuer “target practice on a $10M boat,” Daniel pounced on the fact that he’d said “a,” not “my.”

Meanwhile, at Casa Geary, George’s crazy was starting to show. To his way of thinking, the infected weren’t the sick ones, the living were. “We’re the weeds that Mother Nature is pulling,” he explained to Travis. So perhaps the theory that Maddie shared on their way back to the Abigail was right: Melissa had hit the light switch deliberately in order to get their attention — and assistance. As the boatniks tucked in for the night, Nick — when not pointing out to Alicia the upside of doomsday (“No planes, no noise pollution, no smog… just stars”) — admitted that he pitied the Gearys’ kids and their screwy existence.

‘THIS IS HOW WE MANAGE NOW’ | The following morning, George once again explained the way of the new world to Travis after he expressed his discomfort at finding Chris with Seth happily pickaxing floaters that were pressing against the Gearys’ fence. (However, if The Walking Dead’s prison stay was any indication, Travis had better get real used to that kinda thing real fast.) At the same time, Maddie was getting Melissa to confess that yes, she had hit the light deliberately: She had MS, and while George and Seth would die before they’d take a chance and leave their homestead, she wanted Harry and Willa to have a shot. Would Maddie take them with her? Maddie being Maddie, not only would she, but she’d even play the you-left-a-boat-full-of-refugees-to-drown card in hopes of getting Travis to agree to it, too. Clearly, she still didn’t grasp that she wasn’t the one running the Abigail. Speaking of which…

Aboard the yacht, while Strand was making a mysterious phone call — because everything he does is mysterious — and getting a sundown deadline (for what, we weren’t told), Daniel’s snooping yielded impressive results: The captain was hiding a machine gun and maps that hinted at Mexico as his final destination. (That is, unless I was reading the clues wrong. Did you get something different from that?) In Nick’s search for drugs at the Gearys’, he also scored… sorta: He found the “power pills” that George had been giving his family and deduced that he was planning on “Jonestowning” them all. Hearing this, Travis was wholly on board with Maddie’s plan to sail away with Harry and Willa. Unfortunately, before the kids could be whisked to (relative) safety, Willa was killed by a power pill and turned just in time to bite her mother. As you can imagine, Strand wasn’t thrilled when Maddie and Travis showed up on the Abigail with Harry. “Put him back where you found him!” the captain barked. Maddie was busy refusing to do so when Seth showed up and reclaimed his little brother at gunpoint. Miraculously, no one on the Abigail was shot. However, as the boat headed back out to sea, the last thing the gang saw was a zombified Melissa approaching her sons on the dock… and Seth putting a bullet in her head.

What did you think of the episode? It may not have been action-packed, but Melissa’s predicament packed a punch, wouldn’t you agree? Hit the comments.

1. Joe says:

Why is everyone annoying on this show? This show makes me appreciate TWD a lot more.

• Dee says:

Agreed. I’m not rooting for anyone!

• Lexi says:

I Know Right??? Only 2 I give a little respect are Daniel and Strand.. they at least know who they are … and yes Nick again your druggie self caused this sadness

• molly says:

how did nick cause this though. it was going to happen either way. nick just found out what was going to happen before it did….

• car says:

I have to say that the fact that all of the characters are annoying and unlikable is the reason I don’t like what could be a decent show. The only character I sort of like is Nick, But the actor plays him like a spastic with a disability instead of looking or acting like an addict. Still, the character seems like an intelligent, decent and likable person.

• ? says:

I think if any of the characters acted like they liked any of the other characters, maybe we would like them more. But no. So far this show is just a giant waste of time.

2. AngelWasHere says:

Sort of boring tonight, but yay a zombie kid! lol Hopefully things get better on this show. None of characters are likable really.

• David4 says:

Archer Bunker was a horrible person, and his character was on two shows for like 15-20 years. Seinfeld was on 9 years, Weeds 8 and none of them had decent characters. :)

3. At last! says:

I’m with George on this one: if you’re going to die then it better be at home with your family. Taking the kids would only make their deaths all the more excruciating. Neither Chris nor Maddie’s kids are any better. It’s better for Harry and Seth to die together. Judging only by Daryl and Merle Dixon, it’s better for them if they survive together too.

4. KLS says:

Not really into this show yet. 9 episodes in and I don’t care for anyone. If they have entire season on the boat, I am bailing!

• AngelWasHere says:

The boat is only thing keeping me watching and the only thing that’s keeping it from being a total ripoff of the original IMO. :P But yeah how long can they drag out the boat thing? It is going get old soon.

5. Billie says:

“for some reason, letting teenage Alicia drink” – because during a zombie apocalypse the one thing you want to maintain is that no one under the age of 21 consumes alcohol in front of an adult.

6. DarkDefender says:

Look at the flowers!
    FTWD is getting real close to being just a west coast/at sea version of TWD. I keep watching this show, because it is what got me to watch TWD. And While I prefer Carol, Michonne and Darryl to this group, I’m curious as to what Strand’s end game will be.

7. RODNEY P says:

Another awful Walking Dead show. An episode about survivalists who want to let themselves die. Really? Just more bad writing.

8. Meeeshy says:

This show reminds me of the old syndicated Lost In Space. Every week the spaceship crashed on a different planet with new villians and monsters. BUT at least that show was interesting and had likeable characters. This show has the worst characters I have ever seen on a show. Hoping each weeek tat the main characters get eaten and then the show could fade away into the ocean lol

9. David says:

I ended up fast forwarding through most the show. I’m still surprised this got picked up already for season 3. Still don’t like any characters… their too whiney, filled with angst, and everyone has a grossly overexasurated visible flaw. I’m giving it till next week and seeing how they incorporate the flight, and then I might be bailing. They need to recast by killing folks off pretty quick if they are going to make it to season 3. On walking dead there are only 5 (counting morgan) left from season 1…. (could be 4 now) too bad fear can’t condense it and kill off half the cast in season 2…. that would be a shock the audience wouldn’t expect. And one they may approve of…

10. Walkie says:

Once again, the show was so poorly cast that it’s almost impossible to overcome. They almost need to kill off everyone on the show and bring in a new crew that we can actually care about.

11. Katherine kenney says:

I am a big fan of walking dead.!But fear the walking dead is the most boring zombie series ever none of the charecters are interesting I dont care if they all were too be bittened absolutly no depth in them .I have fallen asleep during the show is it to hard to invent people you can care about none of them have accepted the world has changed

12. vamo says:

Sub-machinegun

13. I don’t really understand all the hate that this show is getting here on TVLine. What are people looking for? Half of you are complaining that it’s just a rip-off of the original, the other half are complaining that it’s not enough like it. We’re into the second season now and the show was already renewed for a third, so SOMEBODY must be watching and liking what they see.

I think there are plenty of likable characters. Madison and Nick for sure. Travis is growing on me, as is Ofelia now that she’s been given some room to maneuver within the group. I’d say that the only character not “likable” is Daniel because it’s his suspicious mind that seems to put everyone at risk all the time. I don’t love Alicia, but I understand what her character means to the show. Hell, I work with a girl almost exactly like her. She’s what I’d imagine a Millennial would act like in an apocalypse.

I like the pacing of FTWD. Things are happening a LOT quicker than they do over on TWD. Madison seems much more of a pragmatic leader than Rick these days, and I feel like people are just complaining because there’s no Daryl or Michonne. I think if you’re in the second season, and you don’t like it, you can now just stop watching. You gave it a go.

• Mossi says:

Agreed! The only character I find annoying is Chris but he seems to be getting better. I don’t LOVE any of the characters but I like them and am interested in seeing how they change. I thought this ep was great and a big improvement over the rest.

So many calling this show boring but lets not forget how slow TWD was at times. And I’ll echo your statement, if you’re still calling this the worst show ever 8 eps in, maybe it’s best to stop watching.

• KLS says:

I would have to disagree with you about the pace of the show. It is extremely slow moving and last night I almost fell asleep. I can only say that for a couple of TWD ep. My main problem with FTWD is that after 8 ep, I still don’t care about any of the characters and frankly, can’t even remember most of their names! Nick, Daniel, Strand, are the only interesting ones on here. I admit that people coming over from TWD have certain expectations, but being a part of the “franchise” is a blessing and a curse. If this was a stand alone show, it would have Family like ratings (.08 demo) and would not have been renewed already.

• What are you hoping for? Is it your hope that the characters completely change so that you’ll like them more? Because if The Walking Dead franchise has taught us anything, is that this world heightens who you are, it doesn’t change you completely. If that’s what you’re hoping for, why continue to watch?

• Girl you are SO RIGHT! These.people GET ON MY LAST NERVE! I just don’t get it? Stop watching FTWD if all you continue to do is COMPLAIN! The ratings are the highest in it’s time slot,somebody is watching and enjoying it! It’s a very GOOD SHOW!

14. Karen Spivak says:

When Nick found those pills i thought he found something good like prescription pain pills. I found his chararacter more interesting during the first season. Any real druggie would not be energetically chasing little kids. They would be lying in bed withdrawing and perhaps vomitting. Also enough of the sullen teen son,who was misera le even before his mom died.

15. KLS says:

Loved the Katrina and the Waves reference! “Walking on Sunshine” in the zombie apocalypse. Can’t get any better!

16. KLS says:

Kind of sad when the The Talking Dead is more interesting then Fear The Walking Dead!

17. Susee says:

A bit slow for me… Walking Dead has the intense factor.

18. So the mother ate the little girl, ate the father and had time to stumble down the pier before the running crew could leave ?

• AnnieM says:

I was thinking the same thing! I figured the dad would get eaten, since he just SAT DOWN in the room with them, but that leaves what – the older brother & little boy are all alone now, I guess. Sad.

19. Mark F says:

They they started in Los Angeles, on their way to San Diego, but make a pit stop on Catrina Island??? Why make up a fictional name for Catalina Island? They show a version of the main town of Catalina called Avalon. Do they need permission to use the name of the island? My mind is boggled.

• Lisa G says:

I couldn’t figure that out either. I saw the Casino, knew they were on Catalina, wondered when Avalon got a Ferris wheel, and then wondered why they hadn’t at least made it to Orange County by now. :) The problem with making real world places “fictional.”

20. Gerald says:

Wow that is cold. You couldn’t have waited till the mom was shot and then re offer the ride on the boat? The Woman’s dying wish was for her kid(s) to go with them.

21. Mwaa says:

Both shows need a “common sense in survival situations” director. Survival scenarios demand hiding and otherwise low profiles at all times. So you would think that, generally, you would turn the exterior boat lights off at night and that you would definitely do it in specific instances when military capable boats are following you but, no, there was no blackout on the Abigail

22. AnnieM says:

My apologies to everyone who is really into this show, but i have to agree with everyone who thinks these characters are dull and unlikeable. The only ones i find remotely interesting are Strand (who at this point I’m wondering is maybe the right-hand man to some big shot drug and/or arms dealer) and Nick, who despite being a drug addict, seems witty and smart, and actually has some semblance of a personality. The other characters, even Daniel with his implied background, are just so *bland* to me. I realize not every character can be dynamic, but I just can’t bring myself to care about any of them the way I did with TWD, which I did right from the start. They should have kept the chubby kid with the steak knife.