The Blacklist Liz Death

The Blacklist Recap: Baby Blues

Warning: This post contains major spoilers for Thursday’s episode of The Blacklist. Proceed with caution.

Liz and Tom Keen will have to take a permanent rain check on their do-over wedding.

Following through on the promise made in this week’s teaser trailers, which warned that someone wouldn’t make it out alive, Thursday’s episode of The Blacklist seemingly killed off Megan Boone’s protagonist in a tragic and sudden turn of events.

A brief recap: After their wedding ceremony was rudely interrupted by an attack from Mr. Solomon, Liz and Tom just barely made it out of the church safely, and the car chase that ensued with Solomon’s men landed Liz in the hospital nightclub-turned-ICU — and her baby’s life wasn’t the only one in danger.

Even though Liz and Tom’s daughter was successfully brought into the world via emergency C-section, it was Mom who didn’t survive the operation, due to a placental abruption caused by the car accident. Amniotic fluid seeped into Liz’s blood, causing her lungs and heart to shut down — and just as Liz’s doctors got her into an ambulance, en route to a life-saving solution, their vehicle was stopped by Solomon and his cronies, leaving Liz to flatline on a hospital bed in the back.

Of course, the death could be a fake-out, an elaborate ruse to get Liz out of Mr. Solomon’s clutches (and allow Boone, who is expecting a child in real life, to take a few episodes off). After all, Red has faked Liz’s demise before, in Episode 5 of the NBC drama’s current season, but that plan was admittedly a lot less drastic.

In the meantime, Tom will seemingly be left to raise baby Agnes on his own, setting the stage for an in-the-works Blacklist spinoff in which Eggold will star. (Read Eggold’s exclusive statement about Liz’s apparent death here.)

OK, your turn. Do you believe Liz is really gone? And if so, what are your reactions to her death? Hit the comments with all of your thoughts on Thursday’s eventful hour.

1. Tina says:

No, I don’t believe she is dead. There is some way to stop the heart for a short period of time. Can anyone elaborate?

• Llols says:

There is a way to put a person in a temporary state of suspended animation–shut down ALL oxygen use by the body so there will be no necrosis. And then revive the person by unblocking oxygen use. It’s not the same thing as the “induced coma” mentioned by Red. Perhaps they are waiting to see how the new pilot does to decide. But I think it’s a mistake to break up Red and Tom –they are played by the two most talented actors on the show.

• iason says:

Hey all Blacklisters.

Firstly i was shocked about the Liz death. But why i never believe so easy what i see?
      I have 2 different scenarios about that:

1) The Directors and the Production of the Blacklist, want to give an end, or maybe change the plot and the main subject of the Blacklist (with different Actors). Maybe it is a pause to the plot of the Blacklist with Red as the main Character.

2) The second scenario that i believe the most, is that this death is one of the common tricks of Red, and this was their chance for both Red and Liz, Her death was the chance to escape somewhere, so that Red can stop, her haunting, from her enemies. Just think about: Did you see what’s going on inside the Van, when Ressler arrived at the scene? Red told to Mr. Kaplan to arrange the Funeral and not carry Liz to the morgue.

Maybe i am so wrong, but why i am almost sure that Liz is alive? If Blacklist continues to the Season 4, i believe that we will see Liz again……

If the first scenario is true, i will be disappointed, because the most powerful advantage of Blacklist is the surprises!!!!

What do you believe about all of that?

• Mags says:

I don’t think she’s dead, but I actually believe Red is *not* in on it. But I think Mr. Kaplan *is*. Mr. Kaplan went into to talk to Liz after the baby was born (about what we don’t know) and Mr. K was also pretty pissed at the way Red handled things. Maybe she gave Liz tetrodotoxin or something instead of the “induced coma” drugs to get her away from Red (at least for awhile anyway)…Just a thought.

• Nan says:

Yes, I agree with you Mags, I also thought that Mr,. Kaplan arranged Liz’s gettaway from Red so that she can be save. However they cant have Tom off on another TV show spinoff, he & baby Agnes must reunite somewhere with Liz to live their lives in peace,. without Red and all the violence he brings.

• lgreene38 says:

I don’t believe Keen is really dead they r just using this as a plot to flush out the bad guys. See u soon Agent Keen.

• lgreene38 says:

I think she is on maternity leave bcuz she was really pregnant. Agent Keen will return.

2. Jason says:

No on is buying the death but this is show is gonna look very silly having to explain how it was all a fake out from the start..

3. Jason says:

No way this is permanent (unless she was wanting off the show). What would Red’s motivation even be without Liz around. Their relationship is the heart of the show. This is their way of giving her maternity leave. At the very end of the season we’ll find out it was all Red’s plan (or maybe Liz’s mom is behind it).

4. Ron says:

I can only hope the death is a fake-out. I can see why it would be necessary, and they did have access to medicine that could have a reaction that creates an illusion of death. So, I wouldn’t actually be mad at the show if this were the case, since it would make sense and it could be probable. Liz might not have been (be?) my favorite character, but her character definitely serves an important purpose to the plot of the show. Without Liz, I really think this becomes a completely different show…a show I’m not sure I’d actually enjoy.

• Deb says:

Yes the fried too. Hope Liz is still on the show. Need to finish the story of her past with Red

• Pennie says:

LOL shades of DALLAS? Who knows for sure. But the name of the show tends to imply that Red will still be around. But didn’t Red say he would only work with Liz, at the beginning of the show? All very confusing, but I’m hoping her death is a ruse.

• KCC says:

The fact Red didn’t want the body to go to the morgue, but to go to his people is very suspicious.

• Debra Karper says:

OOh please don’t let her really be dead!!! The show will be over if she dies!!! I can handle suspense if she is taking off to be with her new born for a while but please bring her back please OMG I can’t believe she would be dead!!! NOOOOOO :(

• Lori says:

My thoughts exactly Debra!!!,,,I’m totally beside myself…..Raymond was so SO convincing(whilst no-one else actually appeared to be around for some moments) he made me cry.😊 I do NOT want this to be true.somebody please,,,tell us it’s not true!!!,I’m good for a major spoiler,REALLY!! Apart from it being the whole the show’s meaning,I cannot stand to watch Red hurt.lol.I’m weird.

• John says:

OK Lori I need you to sit down before you read the following because it’s gonna be a doozi……are you sitting down?….No? Ok I’ll wait…..sitting now?….ok Listen Lori, I’m not sure how to say this so I’m just gonna tell you….Liz is actually a character played by a wonderful actress named Megan Boone. She is Pregnant in real life and asked to be written out of the show. (I know this because she is my neighbor) I feel your pain but I want you to know that Megan (and James for that matter) are doing just fine!

• It’s not true…….Better now ?

5. Martha Henry says:

I love this show. Yes it had me crying .. It want be the same without her.

6. Johnny says:

I was moved with how they handled the death, particularly Red’s reaction. It would be pretty cheap to reveal the whole thing was a ruse. It also felt like the writers were setting up the spinoff (which is still unnecessary). What I don’t understand is why Tom thought it was a good idea to crash the getaway car. You have a pregnant woman in the passenger seat – ducking isn’t going to take away the risk associated with crashing a vehicle.

• Gospino says:

The crash was the best chance they had to escape. A great solution? No. But it was better than continuing a car race they were very likely to lose.

• John says:

He didn’t choose to crash the car. He was boxed in by Solomon’s cars and the truck was parked in the lane he was caught in.

7. Jeanne says:

I am so sad. I don’t like sad endings.

8. Leather says:

If it is fake then will she ever see her baby again and why take her away from her baby

9. Desilu DeJarnett says:

Oh come on don’t mess up a great show

10. kate says:

I don’t believe she is dead but that this is a Mr. Kaplan plan when she went in after Liz kicked Red out. Tom knows and will run at the right time as Liz has to recover.

11. Maybe the lady that works for RED, the Doctor, Tom and all decided to do this to make Red think she was dead, so he would leave Liz alone….the Doctor would have medicines that could slow the vitals down enough to do this. At least, I hope this is what happened.

12. marsha Buck says:

I think they are faking her death.

13. Sheila says:

Wasn’t there a blind item that said a lead would be killed off of a primetime show?

14. Mariah says:

Okay, so I really want to believe that Liz is not dead because I mean like we all know red has faked her death before, but this time it was different. It wasn’t just a picture or a video of her. No it would’ve had to have been with a lot of people in on it. Like most of the medics and a some others. It would’ve been hard right? (gosh someone tell me it couldn’t be that hard) So right now I’m not sure if she’s dead or not, but I’m reall hoping she is not!!!

15. Lyn says:

If it turns out that Liz’s death is real, and not faked, I simply can’t be bothered watching future episodes. Liz, along with Raymond, is the whole show. Now it’s over, too bad.

16. Sherry Headley says:

She better not be dead……..

17. Crystal says:

I’m hoping Mr Kaplan faked Lizzy’s death and she’ll be backing few weeks after giving birth in real life. Did I say ‘hoping’? I meant I’m ‘praying’

18. Ann says:

No, I don’t think there’s any way Liz is dead. I’m most upset about her and Tom…………. I LOVE them together! I don’t want him on a spin-off show!

19. Diane says:

I have been a faithful Blacklist fan since the series began.

If Megan Boone’s character is really dead, I will no longer watch.

20. Autum says:

How did the van get clean?
    Where did the equipment all go ?
    I also wonder what the cleaner said to Liz?

• Teri says:

Yeah, I agree…wonder about the cleaner lady talking to Liz & still mad about that Mr Solomon (hate his character). They have to resolve that on this show & resolve all the secrets between Red & Liz. No spin-off, no permanent death for Liz or I’m quitting show.

• Lori says:

I couldn’t quit the show,as much as Liz & Reds relationship IS the show,and itl be really bizaar without her,ID still have to watch it….I’ve a huge crush on a master criminal.. Yeah…I know.. But waddayado.😁😁😁

• Patty says:

Yes this might be where Liz learns about the plot to fake her death. But Tom has the baby and if there is a spinoff she will never see him or Agnes again….does not see plausible.

21. Woodse says:

It was a faked death to stop the cabal from getting her. Red needs time to take out the leader of the cabal without the Hassel of protecting Liz.

22. I am so upset with this ending … Liz and Red are so important to the show. I can only hope they faked it .. I’m still crying !!!!

23. Mike says:

Killing Liz would have been like if 24 had killed Jack Bauer. EVERYONE else was always fair game, but not him. This show kills her then they might as well stop production. That’s the only problem with dramas these days. Some characters are untouchable.

24. Sara says:

If Elizabeth is really dead the show is over.!!!! The dynamic between her and Remington is the premise of the show. He also has to be her father for all of it to have some meaning and cohesion. Tom leaving is also a potential show over. !! May be good for the actor that plays Tom to get a spin off, but in my opinion not so great for “Blacklist”. Also too much of a similarity between both shows. They can expand Toms character within Blacklist. Always leaving both Remington and Tom edgy and dangerous but with redeeming qualities.

25. Nanny Linda says:

I was disappointed that they got rid of Liz…it won’t be the same now. I actually was crying during the last scenes…James Spader is the best actor…so believable! Love the Blacklist!!! I can’t fall asleep now, thinking of the ending…can’t wait until next week👏🏻

26. Deb says:

I agree that Mr. Kaplan planned this when she told Red to let her talk to Liz. It wouldn’t be a show without Liz. That’s why Red is even there.

• me to and Dembe is in on it. Her mother is trying to kill her because she killed her husband….They have to”kill”lizzie to keep her alive and now we have a spinoff with Tom running away with his daughter – really?

27. Helena says:

No way to kill off the star of the series . Bring Liz Keen back PLEASE !

28. Lannie says:

I won’t be able to watch the show without Liz. She makes the show for me. Please don’t make this death be real😭

29. Denise says:

Nope! I don’t believe Liz is gone. I said all along that she looked pregnant in real life and would need some kind of escape to go off on maternity leave…but of course I didn’t expect her to die! Wow! I hope it’s only ruse.

30. Doug says:

This all just seems too drastic …and too convenient with outside events. Considering the plan was a medically induced coma anyway, having that coma in a body bag seems like a perfect strategic move. “You only live twice, Mr. Bond…”

31. PR says:

Liz is not dead. Mr. Kaplan likely helped fake her death to help Liz/Tom/baby get away from Red.

32. J.carol says:

Qrchastrated by Red to get her away from Tom. He made the some comment about choosing a daughter over a baby, he chose the baby. Tom has the baby and Liz will be back once she is awakened from her coma. The show would be completely different without her.

33. Rickyrose' says:

Has anyone figured it out that Liz is Reds daughter….think about it.

34. Leslie says:

I sure hope she is not dead! I love Raymond Reddington, and Tom, but Liz is a necessary component to the shows success!!

35. Margaret Aloise says:

HOW COULD THEY ????
    What , is tom going to leave the baby with Remington? All I can say is she better be alive and say who her real daddy is !!
    Almost feels like Roseanne finale with the “dream” sequence 😫

36. Rich says:

Nope she can’t be dead!

37. Jeana says:

I believe, hoping & praying, when Mr Kaplan went in to talk to Liz she told her of her plan to ‘kill’ her & then hide her from Red. Remember she was very upset with this whole birth & blamed him/Red for all of Liz’s problems. Liz will be back. Not quite sure if Tom is involved in the plan.

38. Kevin K says:

This was an emotional hour of television I have ever seen with plenty of action involved and Liz’s demise will go down as one of the most shocking character deaths in recent memory. James Spader should give a true Emmy worthy performance for the episode and I’m wondering what happens next in the aftermath of Megan Boone’s character. Also, what’s next for Ryan Eggold’s Tom Keen now that he’s moving on to starred opposite Famke Janssen in the spin-off.

39. Judy says:

I love the show but it can’t continue without Liz ! The best performance of the night was Red’s reaction to the death. The FBI people were crushed but then you have to ask is there a show left? I adore Red but I think he and Liz have to be on the show.

40. Jeanie Borchelt says:

The show will not work without the Elizabeth Keen character. The relationship between Red and Elizabeth is what made the show so compelling. I will not watch if she doesn’t come back! Yuck to the writers!

41. MonaB says:

I’m so shocked why take the lead actress and leave her poor baby amongst hoodlums, I really think this is Liz’s way of trying to start a new life with Tom hopefully or else these greedy producers just ended a really good show like person of interest just for the star Liz to become another hit maker on a totally different show like Tahari Pittsburg Henson now look at her ins

42. Rocky says:

I admit I was shocked and tear filled eyes as Lizzy dies ! But Lizzy could have been given the poison of a puffer fish which will induce a death like state!! Yes I am hoping she lives on I can not even imagine black list with out her! The show will not work with out her!

43. Roxann Nixon says:

I would hate to see Liz killed off the show permanately ! She is a huge part of Blacklist . How can the show continue its excellence ? I think JAMES SPADER is PERFECT IIN HIS ROLE AS REDDINTON aka Lizs Dad . He is a AMAZING ACTOR ! Simply put in my opinion he is better then Kevin Spacey in House Of Cards ! I want Liz

44. Yvonne Smith says:

If Liz is really dead, the Blacklist is over. She and Red are the heartbeat of the show and it cannot go on without both of them. I have,watched it since day one but will not watch it without both of them alive. NBC you have screwed up if you have killed her off. If she needs time off due to her pregnancy, fine. But keep her,alive!!!

• iason says:

Yvonne i absolutely agree with you, if her death is true i can’t continue watching Blacklist, this magical relationship between Liz and Red was the heart of Blacklist.

45. Tammy says:

Mr Kaplan is her mother. Think about it…. Mr Kaplan never gets emotional yet she snapped at Red and she had tears in her eyes while watching the surgery. Liz’s faked death was planned by Red and Kaplan to get her away from Mr Solomon. I imagine we’ll see the reappearance of Liz and the satisfying demise of Mr Solomon on the season finale.

46. timmi says:

No. Liz is not dead. At least not until she meets her mother or finds out the truth about her pop or her mysterious childhood AND Reddington’s connection with her. Now isnt that brilliant ? But oh yes…theres more. Liz is demanding more money…and the producers are also trying to cut her to size….lets see

• Dex says:

I think there are several reasons for fake death :
      1. They were outnumbered
      2. There was no time for recovery after hard birth so they needed to take her to some real hospital .
      3. Red knew all options and he has chose the best….if they succeed they will bring her back….if Solomon get her he will believe that she is dead and he would not take dead body with him

47. Joe says:

Liz was a terrible character. Just one stupid move after another. Always making terrible decisions. Completely irrational most of the time. Terrible judge of character (worst profiler ever). Reddington is almost as bad. What an insufferable, arrogant jerk. If he just told the truth one time, so much misery could have been avoided. He destroys everything he touches. Tom, on the other hand, is a great character. Much more loyal and brave and extremely talented. He at least seems capable of actually learning. The only thing that makes this show worth watching is the supporting cast, especially Aram, Samar, and Dembe. And the wonderful Mr. Kaplan, of course. If they can just kill Reddington off and maybe that self-righteous fool, Ressler, then MAYBE this could become a show worth watching. But it will probably turn out that everyone is right and the horrible Liz will be back. If she does come back, I’m done with this preposterous joke of a show. Frankly, I think a Tom spinoff is brilliant. Ditch the baggage and go with the real star of the show.

48. Vicki says:

If Liz is dead, that will be the death of this show. The whole relationship between Red and Liz is the heart of this show.

49. Gospino says:

Pretty darn sure that Liz is not dead. They never finished the backstory with her and Red, for one. A fake death also provides a way of getting Tom off the show alive for the potential spinoff. Maybe he’ll take the baby with him. Or they give her to someone else to keep her safe. Anyway, it doesn’t make sense for Liz to be dead now, so she probably isn’t.

50. Delois.salter@cchmc.org Salter says:

I love Liz and Tom,hope that her death is fake.