Grey's Anatomy Season 12

Grey's Anatomy's Jason George: Dire 2-Hour Episode Pits Ben vs. Bailey

“Hands down, these are the biggest Ben episodes I’ve had to deal with,” declares Jason George of this week’s two-hour Grey’s Anatomy (8/7c, ABC) which finds his alter ego forced to perform a risky medical procedure during a hospital-wide emergency. Adding to the tension: Ben’s boss is also his significant other.

Below, George previews Thursday’s harrowing Ben-centric double-header and reveals the ominous heads-up he received from producers just prior to shooting.

TVLINE | Why are these such pivotal Ben episodes?
The hospital goes into lockdown because there’s a kid missing, so there’s a Code Pink. They literally lock every door so this [missing] kid can’t get out. The unintended consequence of that is that Ben is transporting an incredibly pregnant woman who is having complications. And he gets trapped in a place where it’s just him and Andrew [Giacomo Gianniotti] and her. No other doctors can’t get to him and he can’t get to any other doctors. So, as the complications get worse, Ben has to make decisions. And everyone has their own point of view on the decisions Ben made. Lives hang in the balance and it’s all on Ben.

TVLINE | How does Bailey figure into this?
Ben is a surgical resident — he’s not even a full doctor. The question arises, “Did he make the right call?” If he was a full doctor their might be less scrutiny. But the reality is that he’s still learning to be a surgeon, so everybody has an opinion about what Ben did. But, ultimately, it’s Bailey’s call as to whether or not she believes this surgical resident — who happens to be her husband — did the right thing or not. And needless to say it puts a little stress on the relationship.

TVLINE | How did you find out that these episodes were coming?
I was a fan of [Grey’s Anatomy] long before I was ever on it so, normally, the table read is where I get to enjoy the show just as a fan. But with this one, they gave me a heads-up about a week in advance — partially because I was [headed to the] Atlanta TV Festival and was about to do a 24-hour turnaround [from Los Angeles to Atlanta and back]. And [EP Rob Korn] was like, “Are you sure you want to do that? Because you’re going to be working some long hours for several days in a row coming up.” So that’s pretty much how I found out that these were coming down the pike. And then I started to get excited… It was fun to see [Ben] truly in the hot seat.

1. Gul says:

Well I should be surprised but I’m not. Of course they’ll mess up yet another couple. Granted they’re not as buzz-worthy as the Japrils or Calzonas but still WHY have a semi-happy marriage in Grey’s? I doubt they’ll break them up immediately, probably leads to Ben getting fired & their marriage breaking down as a result. Typical.

2. j says:

Ben has become my least favorite character this season.. I’m not excited for this 2 hour event to be focused on him. I’ll still tune in though

• tvjunkie says:

His character certainly has the ego of an attending. That’s probably why people dislike the character. I know I find his massive ego rather off putting.

3. Natalie says:

I love Ben. They’d better keep him.

4. Tejasgrrl says:

Actually Ben is a “full doctor”. He is an MD. He was either an anesthesiology resident or attending before he decided to pursue the surgical residency.

• NM says:

I agree with this so much. He was an ananesthesiologist for 5+ years before becoming a medical resident. A medical resident in his 5th year mind you. Why they keep reprimanding him (because he should no better I have no idea), but Meredith, Cristina and Alex were doing ten times the amount of things in their 5th year that was rarely called into question. Does Ben even have a specialty? Truly under developed character.

• SJ says:

Plastics.

Why they’re wasting a two-parter focusing on him is beyond me…

• Tony says:

I was under the impression Peds was his specialty or at least that’s what I thought the show was hinting to in the long run.

I also thought the same as to why he keeps getting reprimanded for his actions after others have been praised for showing similar initiative.

• Andrew Hass says:

Even though his specialty is plastics Ben could still be doing other stuff at the hospital.Plus maybe he’s just helping Andrew transport the patient as a favor because Andrew can’t handle it all on his own.However i like that Grey’s is focusing on Bailey and Ben’s relationship and her been his boss is affecting their relationship.

• Anna says:

Yeah, his specialty is plastics. Jackson has tried to call them the new Plastics Posse, and it just made me miss Mark more.

• rowan77 says:

You mean surgical resident, not medical.

5. ethan says:

Great, a story about two characters that no one really care about anymore..

6. Rockyt says:

There are a lot of people who care about the entire variety of characters. It bugs me that just because someone’s favorite is not in the fore front of every single episode, then the show is boring or crap. I have been a fan since day one. I have seen all the the characters and or couple develop in one way or another. Seasons of Derek and Meredith, Christina and Burke, George and Callie Alex and Izzie, Callie and Arizonia, Christina and Owen Jackson and April . A two hour show about a couple in my opinion who were rarely shown together since they were married is warranted. This shows the diversity the show was built on. Don’t get me wrong I would love to see Arizona and Callie back together, Jackson and April work through their baby drama and Alex and Jo get married but I love the fact there are issues coming up in Bailey and Ben ‘s relationship. I am looking forward to seeing how they work or don’t work through them. Makes for a well rounded television drama.

7. lrdslvrhnd says:

Ugh, they need to stop trying to mess up the only non-dysfunctional relationship in the hospital.

8. Dominique says:

i really like ben so i’m glad they’re focussing on him a bit. but the hypocrisy in this one is strong. izzie cut denny’s lvad, cristina operated on patients when burke couldn’t due to the tremor is his hand, ross did surgeries on patients when he wasn’t getting any sleep, leading to the death of alex’s father.
    but with ben it’s a huge deal and big consequences are about? please.

• A.F. says:

Yeah, I don ‘t get that either. Okay lets see how that plays out, but after at interview I’m even lesser convinsed than I was after the promo for the next two episodes.

9. Melissa says:

Ok, the missing kid causing such a severe hospital-wide lock down is so not a possibility. I work in a hospital, in a children’s hospital to boot. When there is a code pink (missing child) it is serious and staff are trained to monitor exits, elevators, stairways and all people moving around the facility, but we do not have a full lock down where a situation would arise like the one being described where a patient’s care is compromised because staff can’t access or transport a patient in order to treat them, especially in an emergency! The type of lock down they are describing where nobody moves no matter what is what they do for something like an active shooter or a bomb threat (and in reality our hospital had a possible bomb in the er once and the rest of the hospital didn’t even know about it – people were seeing it on the news at home before some of us knew). I’m all for drama and making an intense situation for the characters, but let’s get a little better about the intensity of an event triggering such an extreme reaction .

10. A.F. says:

Wasn’t Ben a fully qualified anaesthesiologist, before he got into surgery? So he has an MD and is board qualified in on speciality, so why can’t he make decision in an emergency for him self?
    Great more drama, why can’t there be just one happy couple in Grey’s?

11. Babygate says:

I like Jason but could not care less about Ben’s drama.

12. Agree with everyone here – Ben is an MD already! He is just changing his speciality. I truly hope that Bailey keeps a level head. This story was stupid the first go around when it was in the mental ward. And when that episode ended, Bailey and Ben were on shaky ground.

(and for all those saying everyone is bored by Ben or Ben and Bailey… speak for yourself only)

• Andrew Hass says:

Even though Ben might be an MD already i think when a doctor changes their specialty they have start over again.For example a neurosurgeon probably can’t just decide he’ll become a plastic surgeon instead without getting training.

• Beatriz Velez says:

Remember that Ben had left the hospital to go to another when he came back because he was home sick he had to start from the bottom all over again. Some trust him enough but others will always have that doubt same as real life that’s why I love the show. Every day battles.

13. Allison says:

I knew trouble was brewing between those two. I saw it when Miranda mentioned how much more money she made than him and then she hired an accountant to do their taxes even though he had been doing their taxes before. Then when he went all MacGyver with that clipboard and made that incision on the patient in the mental ward. Then he didn’t even apply for the Preminger grant and Miranda chided him for it and now this. Well, Grey’s has never been sunshine, unicorns and rainbows so if the other pairings on the show have to suffer through their hell and high water, Miranda and Ben have to have their boats rocked too.

14. rowan77 says:

Hang on. Ben IS a full doctor. He was an attending anesthesiologist for years before starting training to be a surgeon. He already did med school and a four year residency. Isn’t he a 3rd year resident? Cristina was making decisions in surgeries her 3rd year. Shouldn’t his history as an attending be taken into account?