Agents of SHIELD Recap Stephanie Dies

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Recap: Family Business

This week on Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the Malicks spent some quality time with Hive, May went mano a mano with a formidable foe and Daisy made an explosive discovery.

I know there was a lot of chatter about last week’s episode, including the technical wizardry involved in the homage to Daisy’s Season 2 one-shot fight. But damn if “Paradise Lost” wasn’t, for me at least, an all-around more satisfying experience, and one of the best episodes of the season.

Malick has been a solid enough villain this season, but ever since The Man Formerly Known as Ward, Now Known as Hive came into the picture, it has been a good deal of fun to see the old guy feel his sense of authority get chipped away at. This week’s backstory filled in some holes, at least regarding how Hydra over the years would choose who enters the “liquid rock” next (thanks for the lesson, Reed Diamond!), and thus unbeknownst (?) to them get sacrificed to the Inhuman god on the other side.

Yes, once it was revealed that Gideon and Nathaniel’s dad had a way of cheating the “white stone” lottery, you saw coming down Broadway what must have then transpired — Gideon used the trick to doom Nathaniel to Maveth. But at the same time, there was fun in knowing that, as such, the chickens would come home to roost. It was just a matter of when and how Hive would confirm for Gideon that he is, in some part, his brother.

When it became clear that Hive was about to even the score, to teach the Malicks a lesson about “sacrifice,” I thought for certain that we were saying goodbye to Powers Boothe, if only to instead keep around the more demo-friendly Bethany Joy Lenz. (Guys, we lost Adrianne Palicki!) So when Hive instead kissed Stephanie deadly, it came as quite a shock. (And broke my heart to boot; cue old-timey photo of me and Joy in Tree Hill.)

Now, Gideon is as unnerved as ever — though I hope that doesn’t mean he will immediately turn tail and help Coulson & Co.

On par with the Malicks’ hang with Hive, it was overdue for S.H.I.E.L.D. to zero in on Gideon’s No. 1, Giyera, and find a way to level the playing field so that he could receive a proper beatdown from May. For my money, that sequence was more compelling than last week’s one-shot, and extra easy to enjoy given the bright lighting and white backdrop. It was also clever how Giyera eventually escaped his cell, using his powers on a pinched metal belt buckle to leverage open the doors, KO everyone in his path and then single-handedly commander the plane.

Amidst all the above, the show also knew to slow down a minute to allow for some nice work by Clark Gregg, Ming-Na Wen and Ian de Castecker, as Coulson revisited the death he wished and believed he delivered upon Ward back on Maveth.

Hydra’s capture of the S.H.I.E.L.D. team set up a pretty exciting premise for next week, where the Secret Warriors have a highly organic reason to “assemble” and be the focus, in the name of saving Coulson, FitzSimmons and the rest; I look forward to their best, small-screen version of X-Men. (As for Daisy and Lincoln’s escapade this week: Lincoln’s reasoning for keeping mum about this rogue Inhuman Afterlife castoff barely tracked, and I remain to be sold on how this spherical Kree artifact will play a significant role in Hive’s undoing. I pray he doesn’t turn out to have some Death Star-like weak spot they can easily target.)

What did you think of “Paradise Lost”?

1. Ash says:

So I which inhuman is traitor?
    Lincoln- probably not
    Joey- unlikely
    Yoyo- most likely because I could easily see her being blackmailed.

2. Shaun says:

That guy wasn’t an Inhuman,he was a potential.Good swerve with Gideon.

3. Cris says:

I agree, it was a stellar episode!

4. Delirious says:

Haven’t watched the episode yet, will do later today, but as a spaniard, just wanted to say – Matt, thank you for saying “mano a mano” instead of “mano y mano” (which is how I normally see it, and especially hear it). :P

5. I hope they keep Hive’s eventual downfall as close to his comic book counterpart just because of the connection to something bigger in the Marvel Universe.

6. Mollymoo says:

I am convinced Lash’s whole purpose is to wipe out Hive. I haven’t read a comic book or googled a theory. I just feel like the breadcrumbs go there. As for the episode…loved it, but when will the ladies learn that despite his smoldering good looks, Grant Ward is a bad date.

• Jennifer says:

Thank you! I have the exact same thought. It just makes sense. He kills inhuman, who can kill the ultimate inhuman?!?!?

7. kirads09 says:

Is this still about S.H.E.I.L.D- at all anymore ? – or only about the inhumans going forward? I mean if they wanted a show about them, why not go all in an do a spinoff with Daisy and her team? I am trying to stick with it because of my love for “Son of Coul” and May and the original team. I do enjoy Powers Booth and it was great to see Reed Diamond as Whitehall again (if only in a flashback). I just feel like I have no idea where this is going. Am I the only one? The random guy Lincoln “forgot” to tell Daisy about who just happens to have an ancient Kree artifact – really? Maybe I am a bit lost as I am not a comic book person so not familiar with the stories there?

• kirads09 says:

Sorry – a little early and mispelled S.H.I.E.L.D.

• NoName says:

No, you are not the only one.
      It seems that it’s not about SHIELD and heroes without superpoweres anymore. It’s all about Inhumans.
      I love Coulson, May, Fitz and Simmons, but i dropped the show after episode 304 because I dislike the focus on Inhumas. Inhumans and Superheroes are not my cup of tea.

• Jerri says:

It seems that people can’t be satisfied. Like ever. When the show first premiered there were a lot of people on social media and forums complaining about how the show didn’t feel like a Marvel show because there weren’t any super-powered people in it (the original idea for the show WAS to focus on Coulson and other ‘normal’ people who were regular agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. dealing with other world type situations here and there) The ratings reflected it every week, people were tuning out. Now that they’re focusing on Inhumans more, people are complaining how the focus is TOO much on that, the ratings mean whilst have more or less stabilised, so it appears (at least based on data from Nielsen households) people want to see more superhero stuff, less ‘normal’ stuff. FYI, I”m not a fan of the whole Inhumans arc myself, but it’s been interesting to see the origins of Hydra and all. But I do want more focus on Coulson, May, Fitz and Simmons and less focus on Inhumans (I mean there’s a whole movie coming out based on that, why have it in the TV show?!)

8. Joey Padron says:

New episode was really good. Sad Bethany’s arc on the show was short. It was good to see Reed on the show again. Mess up an inhuman will betray the team in next episode.

9. Jack says:

Anyone else think the Kree artifact looks like the one from Guardians of the Galaxy? I mean sure I know there’s not gonna be an infinity stone in this one, but still bravo on the similar design.

10. Brigid says:

It was a great episode! I loved learning about Gideon Malick and sad to see his daughter leave so fast. I totally enjoyed May beating Giyera and it was funny seeing her kick him in the pants and bring him down. There are too many times on shows where men get kicked there and get right back up, and according to my husband….NOT GONNA HAPPEN! LOL

I gotta say that I can’t wait for Hive to be destroyed as I really can’t stand to see Grant Ward on my TV. His character is no different except he has powers now where I can finally believe he is able to kill everyone in a room. He has run his course on this show and I’m ready for him to go.

Looking forward to some inhuman butt kicking next week!!!!

11. Algiers says:

I like this better than last week. For some reason, Daisy centric episodes are still not my favorite although she and the show have come a long, long way since the first season.

It’s actually a pretty good show.

12. Paul says:

Lincoln has alluded to the fact that the powers aren’t random. I believe Hive is why Lash appeared when he did. If Lincoln is right and inhuman power sets appear when they are needed, then whatever “makes that decision” may have seen that Hive would return and prepared for it by instantiating Lash. We know that some Inhumans can foresee the future, in limited ways. This at least allows for the possibility that whatever process selects the power sets is aware of the future, or at least the possibilities, as well.

13. so happy says:

I love all if the episodes lol. Die hard fan. It was so great to see Daniel Whitehall again! I think he will show up again bc he had healing qualities but I could be wrong :0)
    I hate there will be a traitor. Also am guessing possibly Yoyo but that seems too easy.
    So sorry to see Joy leave so early!
    Thank you for the recap.

14. DJ PlaZma says:

Can we please be done with the Ward character after the end of this season? Going back to the Ward Well repeatedly has gotten old.