The Vampire Diaries Recap

Vampire Diaries Recap: Vamp vs. Wild

I can’t say I’ve ever seen The Revenant, but after watching Friday’s Vampire Diaries — directed by executive producer Julie Plec — I can confidently say I feel like I’ve seen it.

Trapped in the shell of an alcoholic fugitive, Stefan weathered the elements, angry locals and his host body’s debilitating addiction in order to reunite with his brother — all while his real body was being ridden dirty by a sadistic vampire from the 19th century. (When Mary Louise destroyed the Phoenix Stone, she released “some of the most evil vampires of the last 200 years,” so… thanks for that!)

Speaking of sadistic vampires from the 19th century, Damon ended up coming through for Stefan in a way that only Damon could: by converting Stefan’s resentment into fuel. “Come kick my ass yourself,” Damon teased over the phone after being told he sucks at “playing hero.” To be honest, the Salvatores’ vicious cycle of emotion-exploiting is starting to feel a little like a snake eating itself — but a really handsome, brooding snake with great hair. So we’re good.

(Side note, because I don’t know where else to put this: How much did you love Damon masquerading as Matt Donovan, the “finest, bravest, least stupid cop you’ve ever met”? I’m sure Damon was being sarcastic, but taken out of context, that is a factual statement.)

Back in Dallas, the most unlikely trio of all-time — that’d be Alaric, Valerie and Rayna — united to locate Stefan’s one true bod, but because this is still TVD, the gang also found time to take personal jabs at one another’s relationships. My personal favorite was this sassy sentiment from Valerie to Alaric: “I never fooled myself into thinking what I had with Stefan would last. You put a ring on it.” (Needless to say, Valerie is ‘shipping Alaric and Caroline hard. )

Then again, it doesn’t exactly sound like Alaric has a ton of faith in his impending nuptials — which are apparently only a month away. (I haven’t gotten my Save the Date yet. Have you?) To be honest, I can’t really visualize Caroline going through with it, but I hope she makes that decision before the day of the ceremony. If there’s one equation I know to be true, it’s Alaric + weddings = dead brides.

Time to talk back, TVD fans: Did you enjoy this episode? Were you as impressed with Paul Wesley’s performance as I was? And was my assumption about this being Revenant-esque even remotely accurate? Drop a comment with your answers below.

1. Loved this episode and seems to be getting back to evil things happening and Damon swooping in to save the day when it really matters in second chances. .

2. Lisa says:

Feel bad for Caroline. Alaric is trapping her into a marriage bc he loves her and she just is doing it for the kids. Not to mention he killed her dad, tortured her, and was a parental figure. I’m so grossed out and can’t believe they went there. She deserves so much better.

3. Gul says:

EXCEPTIONAL work by Paul. Really showed what he’s capable of. The Caroline/Alaric thing is as gross as ever, they should never have gone there.
    Patiently waiting for the inevitable Steroline confrontation, I wanna see how they handle that.

• Becca says:

A lot of people are waiting for SC to go back as being the best friends they should’ve stayed before Plec ruined it.

4. Jason says:

Honestly, I’d be more worried about Alaric than Caroline when it comes to wedding day horrors. Ain’t no way they’re losing her. Maybe Stefan runs in during the ceremony like the last scene from The Graduate. Except he breaks the glass because he’s got super vamp strength. Caroline complains that she’s not paying for that and leaves both of them at the alter.

5. Kiara Stephens says:

What is the girl name she is dating stefen

6. Sharon says:

Actually really enjoyed this episode. It was nice to see some Damon/Stefan moments. Would really like to seem them work on repairing their relationship.

Caroline and Alaric…um gross. I mean who wouldn’t fall in love with Caroline but still Alaric could be her practically be her father and oh wait…he did kill her actual father.

7. Wonderful wonderrful episode!!! Hats off to Paul :) Hats off to Julie :) Hats off tot the rest cast n crew… I lovveee Tvd!

8. Pearl says:

I really loved the episode….hats off to Stephan…..One of the best acts…Every bit of pain and suffering and every emotion was perfectly depicted…..I can’t see how it can be done more perfectly….loved damon & Stephan moments….

9. Susan says:

Sheesh…Caroline has been with EVERY guy on the show…Damon, Matt, Tyler, klaus, Stefan, and now Alaric…am I missing someone?? Maybe I’m just jealous…🤔

10. DC Smith says:

Don’t cop to having not seen The Revenant in the lede.
    Vampire Diaries melodrama is so far removed from the melodrama in Innaritu’s film.

11. spu says:

This was the most heartbreaking episode of TVD! Poor Stefan! :(

12. Ayinlar Taiwo says:

Yes! After Nora and Mary Louise exploded. It felt like; WTF? Why did they just kill two characters like that? It then felt like their existence in the story as heretics was a mistake, so having realized that, they decided to correct it by killing them one by one; from Lily to Julian to Beau, to Nora&Mary and then maybe Valerie. But the next episode kinda changed it all from the heretic drama to a world of intrigue and suspense. If you have abandoned this series tillt he return of Elena, I suggest you return now. But the only wrong thing about this episode is that they’ve killed Bonnie and Caroline for two episodes running. Well, we shall see how it goes.

• Brittany says:

This episode was filmed while Candice was on maternity leave. So there are a few episodes where she’s not physically in them. That’s why the last episode you did see her in she was gone looking for Klaus.

• Hallie says:

I don’t think her going to NOLA has actually happened yet sine TO haven’t FF yet and the story on TVD isn’t at that point

13. Brittany says:

I REALLY enjoyed this episode. When Damon is on the phone with Stefan trying to help him push through and stay alive so he can save him… #feels. I get to meet Ian tomorrow at a convention so I can’t wait to tell him how much I enjoyed this episode! If I don’t lose my train of thought as soon as I look at him in person lol!

Other things-the Damon Matt Donovan comment made me laugh.
    -I missed Bonnie tonight for the second week in a row! :(
    -I don’t know how I really feel about Caraoline and Alaric. If I had it my way it would be Klaus but we shall see what they have in store!

14. He’s not possessed he’s inhabited. Stephan isn’t in his body AT ALL.

15. chantall says:

Paul wesley was outstanding in this episode. I cried half the time cause stefan didn’t deserve all that drama. Wtf where is bonnie