Cloak and Dagger Freeform

Marvel's Cloak & Dagger to Be Live-Action Series at Freeform

Freeform is getting into the superhero business, giving a straight-to-series order to Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger.

An adaptation of the Marvel comics characters first introduced in a 1982 Spectacular Spider-Man series and then in success spun off into their own adventures, the live-action project follows Tyrone “Ty” Johnson and Tandy Bowen, a pair of powered young people who as Cloak and Dagger absorb baddies into “darkness” and shoot light daggers, respectively.

At Freeform’s Thursday Upfront event, the project was touted as offering “a love story like you’ve never seen in the Marvel universe” (or words to that effect).

Our sister site Variety first reported on the pickup.

The Cloak & Dagger news comes immediately on the heels of Freeform — which is holding its annual Upfront event today — also ordering to series Famous in Love, a novel adaptation starring Shake It Up alum Bella Thorne. Also in the Freeform pipeline are the new series Guilt, Dead of Summer and Beyond, all of which recently started production.

1. telling-it-like-it-is says:

This could be a decent series if they cast it right and if they have competent directors and writers. I look forward to checking this one out.

2. Bryan says:

I’ve seen what they did to SHadowhunters. Kinda expecting the worst for this one

3. Adam says:

Awesome. Is this part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe? If so, even better.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

But which one? Are they mutants or science experiments gone awry? (I assume the latter, since that’s the MCU that Disney-ABC gets to play with.)

• Wordsmith says:

Hopefully they’ll notice that Agent Carter has already introduced the exact paranormal building blocks that they need for their heroes.
        Up until the end of the season, I was actually hoping that Dr. Wilkes and Whitney Frost would turn out to be a proto-version of Cloak and Dagger, but they didn’t go there.

• Joe says:

Cloak uses the darkforce as referenced in agent carter…

• Disappointed_In_Shameless_EP says:

They were always science experiments gone awry – it’s nice to know the source material if you wanna comment on it isn’t it?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Sorry, champ, but “Marvel Team-Up Annual #6” I thought suggested the experiments actually activated latent mutant abilities. I could be wrong! You will let me know, I am sure.

• ? says:

I think they’re mutants? But they’ve never been associated with the X-Men, so Disney must have their rights (hence Freeform), which would mean in the show that they won’t be mutants.

• Cris says:

I agree! I think it’s part of the MCU because all of Marvel’s television series that have “Marvel’s” at the front are owned by ABC/Disney and set in the same universe – Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD, Marvel’s Agent Carter, Marvel’s Daredevil, Marvel’s Jessica Jones, and even the upcoming ones.

• Wrong. Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy has the “Marvel’s” prefix, and is not part of MCU.

• Wordsmith says:

Actually, check your sources. The Guardians are totally part of the MCU. They’re chasing the same Infinity Stones that have been at the center of most of the Avengers-related movies.

• Cris says:

Wth? Guardians is part of the MCU. Try looking it up first before blindly commenting.

• Lee says:

It depends if Christian is referring to the movie (part of the MCU) or the animated series (not part of the MCU).

• No, it’s not part of the MCU.
            Marvel have confirmed it’s only inspired by the movie.
            Also, it already revealed who Quinn’s father is, which will be the mystery of Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Also, you might not have noticed this, only Marvel’s TV shows have “Marvel’s” in the title.

(I posted this earlier today too, but as usual with TVLine’s comment system it didn’t show up.)

4. Marc says:

Hope this comes to Netflix like Shadow Hunters so we can get it in Canada.

5. Dude says:

It’s Freeform. It’s going to be terrible.

6. ktc1986 says:

Of all the Marvel properties to use, this is the strangest. Will they link it to Spider-Man? In the Ultimate universe, Tandy went to school with Peter Parker.

• Luke says:

Disney/ABC don’t own the rights to Spider-Man, so Freeform doesn’t either. They were allowed to include him in the upcoming Civil War movie, but I think he’s only on loan for the movies. My bet is that they can’t mention or reference Spidey at all, as well as the X-men or “mutants”.

7. Wordsmith says:

The angsty, youth-centric themes of the story seem well-suited to the Freeform brand, out of all the available Marvel properties.
    And in terms of how it will fit into the established MCU, they’ve already introduced the necessary supernatural forces this past season on Agent Carter.

8. KT says:

I hope they give Tandy a better uniform. I don’t have high hopes for it as a show, but they could at least improve that.

• Wordsmith says:

Yeah, Dagger’s outfit is one of those ones that looks more like body paint than actual clothing.
      I suppose there are differing views on what constitutes female empowerment these days, but she’s definitely not shy about playing the eye candy card.

• Isobel says:

I guess they’d hopefully do something similar to black widow in the MCU and white Canary in DC’s LoT, that she wears white spandex/leather that covers everything without revealing pieces cut out

9. The Watcher says:

Call it Freeform or ABC Family…. If they don’t up their game when it comes to their level of production this show will crash and burn just like all the others.

If they actually give this show competent Writers, Actors, Special Effects and a Budget to facilitate all 3, this could be intriguing.

I’d much rather this have gone to Netflix however, because there’s a proven record there, but maybe this is all part of the Rebrand, ie “Let’s spend money on new shows and give people a reason to tune in that’s not Teen/Tween Angst-a-palooza.”

10. Hellas_2016 says:

Freeform? Have never heard of this channel in my life.

11. The important question is, is it part of MCU?

12. Disappointed_In_Shameless_EP says:

Let’s see how much they mess with their origin since they’re homeless kids experimented on by evil corporations and oh yeah, drug addiction plays a major part in the story line

13. Annie says:

I was hoping that if/when Freeform got in on the Marvel stuff they’d adapt Ms Marvel. Kamila would be a perfect heroine for the network

• Wordsmith says:

That might get confusing, as Marvel is already planning to introduce Ms Marvel (presumably the Carol Danvers version of her) in her own movie in a couple of years.

• Anne says:

Ya, but Danvers will be ‘Captain Marvel’ though. I think most non-comic book fans wouldn’t get confused if they kept different titles. Plus, they could have given a Kamila series a different name ie: Marvel’s Kamila Khan. Worked just fine for Jessica and Peggy

14. This is… interesting. Honest;y I’m a bit surprised that thy chose Cloak & Dagger. I would have thought that the first Marvel book to make it to Freeform would be Runaways.

15. Avery Moore says:

I think that I really would be a good person to play cloak I know almost everything about him and I have wanted this from the start