JonBenet Ramsey

CBS Developing True-Crime Anthology Series; JonBenét Ramsey Case Up First

Goodbye, reboots and revivals. Hello, true-crime series.

Keeping up with the current trend of crime-based anthologies, CBS is developing its own unscripted project that will focus on a different real-life case each season.

Per The Hollywood Reporter, the first season will focus on the murder of JonBenét Ramsey, the 6-year-old beauty queen who was found murdered in her parents’ Colorado home in 1996.

The untitled series will reunite the original Ramsey investigators, as well as new experts who will re-examine the unsolved case. An episode count has not yet been determined.

The news of CBS’ series comes one day after NBC ordered Law & Order: True Crime, a scripted anthology that will dedicate its first season to brothers Lyle and Erik Menendez, who were convicted in 1996 of murdering their parents and sentenced to life in prison.

1. iHeart says:

are you sure this can work? the case has never been solved

2. baj24 says:

Don’t they already have 48 hours mystery?

3. BrightLight says:

I love how both this and the NBC scripted show are more interesting than the one Ryan Murphy is doing for Season 2 of ACS.

4. Mike says:

Of course per conspiracy theory that Jon Benet Ramsey is alive and actually Katy Perry.

5. Jules says:

I don’t mind any of these. I kind of wish that Ryan Murphy was doing the Menendez one since it is pretty dark (not that Ramsey one isn’t) and he could’ve really gotten away with showing all of the f’d up aspects of this case. It was pretty sick.

6. matty says:

This is one trend I support. true crime is a genre that will never go out of style and these type of event series can bring a lot of good acting to the screen.

7. Yolanda says:

I’d rather have a scripted show about this case than non-scripted. There are so many meaty roles for actors within this case. Maybe some other network can make a scripted show about JonBenet

8. Guilherme says:

NBC and now CBS copying American Crime Story? I feel so ashamed reading that kind of things.

• Mr Zero TV says:

I’m with you on this – I can’t believe this is the depth at which broadcast television will lower itself. As a prior post noted, doesn’t CBS already have 48 Hr Mysteries? How is this different? Those ‘Dateline’ type shows are already so ‘sweetened’ with actors and scripts that they look like a poor-man’s reality show. Where will CBS place this show on the schedule – 9pm on Saturday as a lead-in to 48 Hrs? Pathetic.

As you noted, there is already ‘American Crime Story’… what are the ratings on that? Is the audience just clamoring for more of the same? The term ‘out of touch’ could be very appropriate to describe the network programmers at the ‘big-5’ broadcast networks.

And all the while, the ratings on broadcast television continue to tumble. When in a hole, stop digging. Networks head thyself.

9. Boiler says:

What are with people’s fascination with these??

10. lariet50 says:

I’ve always thought these anthology series worked better when they paid attention to lesser-known cases. Jon Benet and the Menendez brothers were very high-profile. Although, I say that as someone in her late 30s who remembers when those cases happened. All these new shows about O.J. have fascinated my 20-something coworkers, which confused me until I realized they were too young then to have paid attention.

11. Keisha fisher says:

When will this be on

12. Phillipp says:

You’re so awesome! I don’t think I’ve truly read through a single thing like that before.
    So good to find someone with original thoughts on this subject.
    Really.. thank you for starting this up. This web site is
    one thing that is needed on the internet, someone with a little originality!