So You Think You Can Dance

So You Think You Can Dance Videos: Your First Look at the Next Generation

In the wake of much criticism about the new format — including from TVLine’s own Michael Slezak — Fox has released a first look at some of the young dancers auditioning for So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation.

For Season 13 (premiering Monday, May 30), the summer TV staple is rebooting itself with a new focus on contestants in the 8-13 age group who excel across a variety of styles including contemporary, tap, hip-hop, ballroom, animation and breaking.

Wannabe Dance-rs brave auditions with the goal of advancing to “The Academy,” where the judges — Nigel Lythgoe, Paula Abdul, Jason Derulo and Dance Moms’ Maddie Ziegler — will narrow the field to the Top 10. Those talented young’uns will then be paired up permanently with SYTYCD All-Stars from prior seasons to compete for the title of America’s Favorite Dancer.

Check out five of the Los Angeles auditions below and share your latest take on the reboot:

1. eviloverlore says:

In the end, I don’t want to see a 25-year-old put his hand in some 10-year-old’s …middle.
    Consider me out for the season!

2. Lola says:

This show is ruined. Why don’t these children go on AGT or Little Big Shots? Yes, I’m frustrated. This was not intended to be a show filled with kid dancers and no pairing them up with All Stars is going to remedy the issue. I bet viewers will probably vote for the All Star paired with them more than the actual kid. If SYTYCD can’t come up with anything better, just end it. The show has been downhill for some few years anyway. Add to that the horrible large stage that takes away the intimacy of every performance. I can take the huge area for large group dances but it swallows the contestants whole when it’s just two performers out there.

3. Lola says:

I forgot, the judging of Paula and Jason is another issue. Mary might have been loud at times but at least she was quirky in her own way. Paula seems high half the time and Jason wouldn’t know a good critique if it slapped him in his barely talented face.

4. Jules says:

Not crazy about this at all BUT the last kid teamed up with Fikshun would be amazing.

5. Larry says:

First season since I started watching 7 years ago that I’m skipping. I wish the young dancers the best but I’m still peeved that this is the format SYTYCD decided to go with to save the franchise. I would had preferred this be a companion show but not replace my summer favorite.

6. Jenny Rarden says:

I’m still not thrilled about the new “twist” (mainly because yeah, pairing these kids up with the all-stars is kind of icky), but okay, damn, those kids can DANCE. I would watch a kids’ dance competition like SYTYCD without the adult interaction…

7. Ian says:

No one was saying that kids can’t be technically gifted dancers. Hell, I was one myself before giving it up during high school. But do I want to see them take over the SYTYCD franchise? No. I wouldn’t make a point to watch this every week.

8. Guest says:

Aside from being as uncomfortable as I knew it would be to watch, I have just realized with these clips that these kids aren’t going to be nearly as good as the older age groups we’re used to.

I guess that should have been obvious, but I’m glad I decided to jump ship after this announcement came out. I’ll be surprised if their viewership breaks 2 million.

9. Here’s my question: why do the producers think this focus on kids will attract a bigger audience/more ratings? I love dance shows and I write children’s books (!), but this doesn’t appeal to me. To whom it is appealing? Any thoughts on this?

10. Lauren says:

Ugh I just don’t want to vote for kids and see them get eliminated.

11. C says:

Seriously. Worst idea ever. You take a show with already sinking ratings and you do THIS to it? Don’t get me wrong – I’m sure the kids will be talented. From a technical standpoint, they may even be better than some of the dancers we’ve seen in recent SYTYCD seasons. But emotionally? And then add in adult all-stars. You lost me.

12. Maxx Dog says:

The emphasis on youth in Hollywood is really going too far

13. ceebee says:

Taking a PASS on the show this year (as much as I have loved prior seasons) – I could barely get thru the inane comments from Deru-nothing last year! Epic fail on the producers!!

14. Blondage says:

Sigh. The kids all look to be incredibly talented, but this new format is going to kill my favorite show.

15. Kate says:

First time I’ll not be watching SYTYCD. It was one of my faves for years. And oh for the years when I got to watch both the US and Canadian seasons…sigh.

16. Alex says:

Ugh I had no idea that they were also being paired with adult all stars. That seems…odd. The height difference alone would throw it off.
    There’s so many things wrong with this format. Kids with all stars. Obviously the watered down critiques that we will get. Maddie judging dancers better than her when she has about half the technique and talent. Jason also judging when he is just the worst judge possible. just no no no.

• abanana says:

nah that’s the least of it
      and this comment is a perfect example of why
      adults who think it’s neat to be really rude about children and those children they think lack talent
      heads up the judging panel has always been significantly less talented than the contestants… it’s not something new :)

17. Steve F. says:

Nah. Still not going to watch (especially when the kid is going to be paired with an adult… ick factor is really high). Really, Nigel, what the heck were you thinking?!?

18. Guy says:

I’ve seen every episode of SYTYCD. This is the first time I won’t be tuning in. Such a shame how they’re ruining what used to be one of the best reality competition shows on TV.

19. For me I could care less about the fact that the all-stars are dancing with kids; do you guys not realize that their teachers are probably about this age? Or the fact that I really, really doubt that any of the dances will be at all sexual in nature. I’ll give it a chance, although for me I think i’ll end up stopping for other reasons.

20. jalahyacinth says:

…………………….

and that’s all I have to say about what was once my favorite show (beyond this sentence, clearly).

21. Qtfulofdance says:

Kind of bummed that this show is banking on the success of Dance Mom’s to revive its dwindling numbers. I don’t watch SYTYCD for the judging commentary. I watch it for the dancing and the choreo. As a retired dancer, I know what’s good and what’s not so good…at least in my opinion. I doubt I will be as dedicated a viewer this season than in seasons past. And goodness, please tell me this site couldn’t get the rights to the actual music being danced to and that this season won’t be the torture that the Dance Mom’s music is!!!

22. Allie says:

I’m so disappointed. I don’t need to watch kids – I have them. I’m out.

23. So they’re banking on youthful technique rather than emotional maturity to bring more viewers to a dancing competition? Because after such showstoppers as the heartbreaking Park Bench Dance, the exquisite Hummingbird, the sexy Hip Hip Chin Chin, the powerful Bang Bang, the Gravity addiction dance, anything Alex Freaking Wong – they think we’re going to be invested in CHILDREN?? AND they’re keeping Paula and Jason as judges? Who’s the idiot who thought taking away everything we love about the show would be a good idea?

24. Mrs. T says:

This is going to be an epic fail of a season. I love what SYTYCD has done for dance, but I cannot bring myself to watch children being subjected to the rigors of a reality dance competition. A full All-Star season would have been better than this…

25. Rafael says:

This is not going to get cancelled officially at all. But I do know there is a US west coast port financial crash going on in US west coast that force-change the format of this show and everything in the US west coast along the way. But another reason why they chose kids for season 13 is because there is a big summer event that will disrupt everything in this show’s upcoming season. I will take hiatus during season 13 and probably decide about return watching it in season 14 or not.

26. Eurydice says:

Children bore me, I don’t care how talented they are.

27. I wish they would go back to Pittsburgh. It was better there.

28. Renee says:

I do not agree with this at all! Sure they can keep it clean by keeping out certain dances such as the rhumba (which could still be clean but it’s called the dance of “love” for a reason) but i just watched the contemporary dance Travis and Amy did and as beautiful and clean as that dance was it was passionate and it would be inappropriate for an 8 year old to dance like that (rolling on top of each other and getting really close). I know there are a lot of great child dancers out there but this show for many years has been geared towards teen/adult viewers and i don’t think this is the right move. Those kids should stay in school, it’s the older teenagers/young adults who are able to use that as a platform to start a career.

29. KJohnson says:

When I saw these videos, all I could think about was how good these kids would probably be in a few years when they were old enough and their technique had matured enough for the real show

30. Jeremy says:

I am very disappointed in this FOX! I watch this show because I like the beauty of dance and how sexy some of the dancers relate to each other with chemistry. I WILL NOT be watching this show this year…

31. Geema says:

I have watched the show from the beginning. It’s been difficult the last few seasons: judges and new format not to my liking. This new format is a deal breaker for me. I know that the young kids can dance, but some of my favorite dances would not be able to be performed. Just my opinion. So SYTYCD, I will miss you.

32. Trish says:

How sad. They should have a SYTYCD Junior and an adult SYTYCD. I don’t care to watch children dance with adults. This was one of my favorite shows. I think they are jumping the shark.

33. johnB says:

Too….Bad….No More SYTYCD for me …Ruined…….bright-side> I’ll be gaining back my precious outdoor summer time that i used to spend watching …….

34. Lawrence Marty says:

I’m sorry, I have been a loyal watcher for all the years you have been on but I didn’t like the changes made last year, why? This new format is not why I watch the show, I enjoy the choreography, the lifts, the music, the youngsters will not be able perform in a manner that will hold my attention. Good Grief!!

35. Kara says:

I can’t believe Fox decided to do this. SYTYCD has always been one of my favorite shows, and I couldn’t wait for the new season to begin. Unfortunately, I’ll be passing on it now. Even if the kids are good dancers for their age, they don’t have the maturity or experience needed for this type of competition. The emotional connection the dancers made was one of the best parts of the show. A child dancing with an adult can’t, and shouldn’t, do that.

36. blues71153 says:

I think some of these dancers are very good and I don’t believe Maddie Ziegler should be judging dancers that can actually out dance her. I do enjoy watching young dancers but if they are going to be judged they need Real Official Trained Judges to do the judging.

37. Blue Astrid says:

Why is Sophia Lucia in the competition? everyone in the dance world knows she is beyond amazing. If I had to choose a winner today, it would be Sophia hands down. I thought she was a professional

38. Pamela Nolin says:

I have been asking for this for years! SO excited about this season. Dance is so amazing in all forms and ages. People are worried about “age differences. Dance is an expression. There is nothing sinister pairing a 13 year old with someone much older. It happens all the time. Look at Broadway, read books… if you are thinking something is going on, you need to check into your brain and maybe rethink your situation a little. Perhaps you are what is wrong with the world. Not everyone is out to get you!

39. Crystal Moon-Webster says:

I’m out! This has been one of my summer favorites since it came on – I LOVE all forms of dance and appreciate watching talented, trained dancers perform their art. All forms, that is, except children’s dance recitals. And children in general. So now you take a great show with talented competitors who are actually competing with plans to spend their LIVES as working dancers, turning them into babysitter’s and adding the kid from Dance Moms as a judge?? Really?? She’s a lovely little girl, but you are going to allow her to judge the likes of Twitch or Fikshun? You are kidding, right? No? In that case, I hope your all-stars enjoy their last lesson on the show, and best of luck to them in the future.

40. Cheryl unger says:

Just bring Anthony Houser back. Extremely talented. You let him go way too soon!!

41. Jenni says:

No pairing with adults please.

42. Liam says:

Omg I’m so excited for this! I feel like this will be more interesting for a younger audience, such as myself cause we’re are more familiar with the next generation of dancers. I love Sophia Lucia! She is so talented! I don’t know why everyone is getting all worked up about the older dancers working with these younger dancers, they obviously aren’t going to sexualize these children. It’s funny that people are thinking this will attract pedophiles, but in reality your the pedohpiles for thinking these children are going to be touched inappriately! I would really like to know what you’re thinking? Cause clearly you’re having some sort of pedophilic thoughts about these children. I’m appalled at how closed minded you people are! Give the revamp of the show a chance!

43. Dennis A Sousa says:

I hate this new format will watch next year if they go back to the old format

44. Kelly says:

I think they ruined show never watching again
    I hate listening to Paula talk bring back Mary! Paula rambles and makes no sense. I don’t want to watch 10 year olds dance no emotions not mature go do Americans got talent but this ruined show!

45. Denise says:

Wow the negative comments amaze me. These kids can dance just as good as the adult contestants in the past seasons! Me, I’m proud to see kids have a dream like this. When I was their age there wasn’t a boy that could come close to what these kids can do

I guess everyone has their opinion and if they didn’t differ occasionally the world would be boring😎