Post Mortems
Who Did Negan Kill?

Walking Dead's Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Scott Gimple Break Down Negan's 'Unbelievably Emotional' Entrance

As hard as the last 11 minutes and 19 seconds of The Walking Dead’s sixth season finale may have been on us, they were even harder on the cast: Negan’s debut took “a very emotional two nights” to complete, according to the bat-wielding villain’s portrayer, Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

Showrunner Scott M. Gimple goes so far as to call the shoot “unbelievably emotional. Even though it was freezing cold [and] these actors were on their knees pretty much the entire time… [they] knew that someone would die, [so] everything [was] incredibly loaded… Everything seemed to get more and more real.”

The Walking Dead Season 7 SpoilersSo much so that, when Morgan made his entrance at the end of the Saviors’ “Career Day,” it was Pee-Pee Pants City. “For a lot of the cast, when Jeffrey walked out of the RV, that was the first time they saw Negan,” says Gimple. “It was one of the most incredible professional experiences I’ve ever had.”

It’s unlikely to be one that Morgan will forget anytime soon, either. “People were agitated,” he says, “and I think you saw it on the actors’ faces. A couple of them didn’t make eye contact with me until the end of the second” evening.

“We shot my side the first night,” he continues, “and then they turned it around” so that director Greg Nicotero could get those anguished expressions from Andrew Lincoln (Rick), Steven Yeun (Glenn), Lauren Cohan (Maggie) & Co. as Morgan waved around Lucille. “We had six cameras rolling. It was quite a production.”

But considering the sequence was building to the brutal murder of a character that series creator Robert Kirkman hints is “beloved to everyone”, the to-do seems more than justified, necessary. Wouldn’t you agree?

What did you think of Negan’s debut? Weigh in below.

1. wrstlgirl says:

JDM is so gonna rock next season. I’m very excited to see his portrayal of Negan. Those 11 minutes were epic and the terror on Lincoln and everyone’s faces was incredibly horrifying. I’d say I wished it was October already but I refused to wish my summer away, LOL!!!

• Bwhit says:

I was terrified just sitting on my couch! Andrew Lincoln’s non verbal acting was superb and JDM brought it! I too don’t want my summer to go quick but I can’t wait until
      October…. It’s quite the dilemma :).

• wrstlgirl says:

It’ll get here fast enough. Life just seems to fly by, at least for me. I like having things to look forward to, makes me happy :-)

• LaDonna says:

Time travel to October and then back? I agree so much. That last time I was that breathless and terrified during a TV show was the first time I saw the hospital shooter episode of Grey’s Anatomy. For the whole Negan scene I had my hand over my face and watched between my fingers!

• PaisleyPark says:

Andrew did such a great job! Didn’t you just feel for Rick?! Ugh. He just looked so defeated! There was absolutely nothing he could do to protect his crew. Seeing him slowly unravel and lose hope every time they came upon a roadblock just sucked! I want strong Rick back!

• wrstlgirl says:

Love Andrew!! He is such a phenomenal actor. They all looked scared sh*tless except Abraham. He just looked pissed.

2. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

They SHOULD be afraid of that A-hole! JDM definitely killed it in that last 11mins. I really liked ep. until the death scene I’m still pissed off that was the big MOMENT everybody waited and wanted to see!!!! Overall I will be tuning in come October cause that’s how big of a fan I am of the show despite the stupid sh#t they pull.

• french5851 says:

My husband who knows nothing about the comics thought the whole Neegan intro was ‘boring and dumb’. He started loving the show the 2nd season, but decided to start dvring it this season, because it got boring. The finale should have been the ep before the brake… you drew out the story way too long… Neegan really doesn’t seem like a scary enough character to me. The fact that we have to go back to that finale scene to start season 7 has me pulling my hair out…. omg. DO. SOMETHING. Move it along….

• Well you know what they say? You can’t please all the people all the time! You’re husband clearly don’t have TASTE! His LOSS! TWD RULES! ITS AWESOME! Andrew and Jeffrey should battle for best actor award, EMMY PLEASE!!!

3. KEW says:

I truly have to say this is the first tv show that made me shake during those last few moments so caught up due to the whole cast, who gave such a awesome performance,,, Negan is one bad ass … its gonna be a long summer…../

4. Spence says:

It truly was such a great scene. JDM will do a great job. But the dialogue was repetitive and obviously drawn out in order to make the cliffhanger happen, another example of how the season (finale and as a whole) was squandered and tainted because of the childish ending.

• Geo says:

I love Jeffery Dean Morgan and agree he’s a great choice, but that speech went on and on and on and on and on. It got to be way too obvious that they were dragging it out so they could do the stupid cliffhanger. It actually got less scary the more he talked because I started to picture someone from Rick and company finally screaming “ohmigod, just kill me so I don’t have to listen to any more of this unending speech!”

The writers should remember that sometimes less is more. If Negan had given a shorter speech (and then we saw who he actually killed), it would have been far more scary and effective.

• Read the comics! It’s word for word ! TWD writers NAILED IT.

5. Whatevah says:

I know the line pee pee pants is in the comics, but how old is Negan? 12? Actually that’s an insult to 12 year old’s. Sounds more like something a 4 year old would say. Lame!

6. alex says:

seriously, all nine of them couldn’t jump at negan and yank his bat off his hands? lol

• wrstlgirl says:

Ummm, did you see how many men they had surrounding them. That would have been a death sentence for all of them.

• alex says:

yes but Negan needs them to work for him so I doubt he would want them all dead. My little thought was how none of them seem to step up to defend one of their own. If it was Carl that got picked, Rick would’ve attempted to take him down. Same goes for Glenn and Maggie.

• wrstlgirl says:

I get what you’re saying. Glenn did try to protect Maggie but he was beat back. But when Negan threatened to take Carl’s other eye that basically paralyzed them all into submission. That’s how I saw it :-)

• alex says:

yeah I guess that makes sense regarding the threat against Carl. That was one thing that irked me in the comics, it wasn’t like they were all handcuffed and each had a gun in the back of their heads.

• PaisleyPark says:

So, wait–Rick’s crew actually does end up working for Negan after all this goes down??

7. ag says:

Give me a break. That episode was terrible and boring. Gimple the simple talked all season how someone would die. Then nothing happened.

8. Rocco says:

Neegans speech was too long and boring. Pretty much like the rest of the season. Good to see legitimate media critcizing this episode, unlike tvline

9. AngelWasHere says:

It was a boring filler episode and a BS ending, but the actors all gave great performances. I’ve never seen them so scared and defeated. As for the speech, it did go on too long. I was on edge the of my seat literally with my hand over my mouth, but I also found myself looking at clock hoping he would get on with it before time ran out.

10. Matrice Everett says:

Im so frustrated with the ending of season 6, the killing I believe of Daryl on his knees waiting for death to prevail does not sit well with me. Daryl is a worthy warrior and should be honored accordingly, on his feet fighting like the champion he is.
    Then there Glenn who has blossomed into a worthy opponent, I just feel like both characters deserved a much more triumph ending to their storylines, other then waiting for some overated punk to kill them.

11. rachelle says:

His entrance was truly terrifying! I was honestly scared even though I already knew someone was going to die. The cast’s expressions were perfect and Jeffrey Dean Morgan really just rocked the heck out of Negan. Such great acting all around.

12. Kal says:

Terrible ending. They neutered one of the best scenes from the comics. This was the shows Red Wedding and they butchered it. Bungled it. For what? Hash tags? This whole season was a mess and they could have redeemed themselves a little bit with an amazing end to the season. Instead they ruined an amazing characters intro for nothing and lost viewers on the the way. Bravo.

• A. Grace says:

I was upset, too, until the next day when I got over it. I’m glad I don’t know who died. It would be a sad summer if I knew who died, especially if it was someone I really liked such as Daryl or Glen. JDM and Norman Reedus are good friends and I’m sure that it would be so very difficult for then if it’s Daryl. Personally I don’t think anyone knew in November who they were going to kill off. They know now (the writers and producers) – they start taping in May. But I don’t think the actors know yet.

13. Trish Haynes says:

Awesome..

Enough said.

14. Simon says:

Negan/Saviors new world order are a metaphor for the risks of the current projects of social domination.

15. jer6403 says:

Negan / saviors and their new world order are a metaphor for the risks of the current projects of social domination:

16. Bark Star says:

It was overdone and uninspired. Felt like just another slightly unhinged bad guy spewing out the usual threats. Nothing we havent seen a thousand times before. But what could you expect ? Its not like TWD is an original and intelligent show.

17. Ron says:

Why is TV Line so cavalier about spoiling plot developments in headlines, URLs and photo galleries? I look forward every year to reading the next batch of Walking Dead comics after the TV season ends, but now you’ve given away the identity of Negan’s (comics) victim with your hacky “cough *** cough” in your Season 6 death gallery.

I overlook the snark — it’s not clever and it’s not funny; it’s just a**holish — to get news, but no more, it’s not worth it. It’s been a long time coming, but TV Line is off my RSS feed.