Castle's Andrew Marlowe, Terri Miller to Produce New 'Unlikely Partners' Drama

Castle creator Andrew W. Marlowe and executive producer Terri Edda Miller have signed on to shepherd a new procedural about an investigator and his unlikely partner.

Per our sister site Deadline, Marlowe and Miller are teaming with Tandem Productions’ Rola Bauer (Crossing Lines, Painkiller Jane) on Take Two, an L.A.-based series about a P.I., Eddie Valetik, who hires the fresh-out-of-rehab former star of a TV cop show to appear in commercials for his office.

When calls come pouring in specifically seeking out the snooping services of the TV star, Emma Swift, Eddie takes her on as a partner, availing himself of her skills gleaned as a fake cop. So, it’s The Grinder meets Castle‘s “Nikki Heat” episode.

A network or cable home for the prospective series has not yet been identified.

Marlowe served as the showrunner of ABC’s Castle through Season 6, at which time he turned over the reigns to David Amann (who then was succeeded by the current regime of Alexi Hawley/Terence Paul Winter). Miller, in addition to her role as an EP, wrote more than a dozen Castle episodes, including the seminal Season 4 closer “Always,” the somewhat-discussed Season 6 finale “For Better or Worse” and the alt-reality escapade “The Time of Our Lives.”

1. David4 says:

Maybe have an outline of a purpose to the show this time? But I doubt that.

2. BeeBop says:

Umm sounds like The Closer to me – can we get some fresh ideas maybe?

3. Sheryl says:

I get a Remington Steele vibe.

4. Jane says:

Sounds like Remington Steele but I guess none of us are supposed to remember that far back.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hmmm, a bit, yes, gender-swapped and all.

• johnhelvete says:

Not a bad comparison. The key difference though is the character of Remington Steele did not actually exist (he was created as a figurehead for the female PI on the show) while the potential clients in this show appear to be confusing the actress with the part she played on a fictional TV show.

• PatriciaLee says:

Well, her PI person does not exist, being a photo ad. It sounds like people are liking that PI and want to hire HER to do the investigating, not the guy who owns the agency and who hired her for the acting/photo shoot job. Interesting.

• lindag413 says:

I do ,I thought about the comparison I liked RS but I can say I also thought about Stana and the show she mentioned but that has been answered maybe Molly will get her shot.
      I do not see as9 so time will tell I guess.

5. Angie says:

More like Castle: Take Two.

6. Grey says:

Sounds great to me.

7. So, it’s Castle, but the female is the goofy one.

8. TvLover says:

Hmmm, I enjoyed a lot of the episodes those two wrote for Castle.
    If this show gets a green light by a network I’ll probably check it out.

9. KLS says:

Is this Katic’s new cable-like project she was referring to earlier?

10. Yoa says:

Sounds Moonlight

11. rowan77 says:

Sounds kinda like the Grinder meets Remington Steele (The Grinder has a TV actor who played a lawyer for years joining his brother and father’s law firm, and in Remington Steele he wasn’t a real investigator and used what he’s learned watching movies to solve cases with his actual investigator partner.)

12. I am delighted. I could only dream of something so special. Please keep us posted on the new adventure. nita

13. KyinHI says:

Excited about more MilMar. Does that mean we can put Castle to rest now? Please? I miss my show. The current iteration is not my show.

14. jj says:

“Marlowe served as the showrunner of ABC’s Castle through Season 6, at which time he turned over the reigns to David Amann (who then was succeeded by the current regime of Alexi Hawley/Terence Paul Winter). ”

And viewers can tell. Season 7 is the beginning of the downhill spiral of Castle. Season 8 is like a tornado. Totally destroying the show.

15. Anna says:

Wondering if Andrew and Terri Edda will do some of the writing for this new show?

16. What a shame they couldn’t team up to save Castle from the stupid crap that was done to it this season

17. Leo says:

Sounds like the flip side of Castle, hopefully they’ll assemble a better stable of writers. Take notes from Glassberg.

18. Bob Stuart says:

Why not name the leads David Addison and Maddie Hayes?

19. Wooster182 says:

Make Charisma Carpenter the lead!!!

20. Micoq_Szoar says:

So, it’s Castle 2.0? Wow, very original. Maybe they can get a loyal audience for this show, then run it into the ground like they did the last one.

21. truecat says:

Rehashing of old shows . Not worth watching. I don’t believe it will last long.

22. Missy says:

Stick to what you’re good at, I guess :)

BUT… What happened to the possible Derrick Storm spin off?

• Leo says:

No studio bought the Derrick Storm premise, that died about two years ago.

• Leo says:

It’s gonna be tricky casting. If they give it a possible romantic angle it’ll resemble Castle and they’ll lose some viewers because of the bitter after taste. If they play it straight what will hook the already skeptical viewer. Tough writing and even tougher casting.

23. Namu says:

These are writers who know how to write good characters. I look forward to watching. I was hoping that their Derrick Storm series would get picked up. That would have been so meta and fun. Oh well…

24. Joey says:

Castle fans need to go look at an article in a website ABC Castle News dated 3/31/2016 The only solution left is to drink. It fills us in on what has been going on from episode 23 season 6 until now. It is really good.

25. Marie Wilkerson says:

Would be wonderful if they were to write a show for Stana.

26. ellie says:

Stana katic for the female role

• sawyer says:

marlowe and wife miller are really fine writers…some of the episodes they wrote for the FORMER cop show they created were among the best of the entire series….i wish them nothing but smooth sailing with new proposed project….and sure hope stana is part of it….that trio would be worth following….and, please, abc, let castle r.i.p.—it got pretty bad, especially this season–and, sorry, perhaps the ego-driven “star” of the series should stick to his “comic” career….he seems to like being the only one on stage–the center of attention/answering questions/selling “items”….what IS that about anyway?…….

27. John Aruny says:

Marlowe & Miller have this genre down pat. Remember “Remington Steele” (1962-1967)? Sounds like a modern day replay where the “real” detective (Laura Holt) is not the front man (Remington Steele). Look forward to production pilot.

28. B says:

Can’t wait. I’m in for anything by Marlow and Miller.