March BADness

March BADness Tourney Final Four: Kilgrave vs. Jonathan 'Black Jack' Randall! Dexter Morgan vs. J.R. Ewing!

“Who’s bad?”

It’s a question famously asked by Michael Jackson — but TVLine’s March BADness Bracket Tournament is posing a slightly more specific query.

Who’s baddest?

Yes, we’re down to the final four villains in our 64-player scrum to determine the meanest, nastiest, most rancorous son-of-a-gun ever to grace the small screen — but we can’t do it without your help.

For the next 16 hours, we’ll be asking you to winnow down the field to two finalists — and on Wednesday, those rapscallions will face off for the title of Ultimate TV Baddie. So find a seat in our online Thunderdome, head down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Voting for Semifinal matchups will be open for 16 hours), then hit the comments to justify your picks.

We’re down to Dexter‘s Dexter Morgan against J.R Ewing of Dallas, and Kilgrave of Marvel’s Jessica Jones versus Jonathan “Black Jack” Randall of Outlander.

CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and keep coming back to TVLine over the next week to see how March BADness plays out. Now ready, set, vote!

1. piebokou says:

Killgrave and J.R. Because like I continue to say Dexter is no vilain.

2. Ella says:

I can’t believe Angelus is out! Really thought he would own this one.

3. Ben says:

I’m not sure I have ever voted for a winner in these polls. I’ve pretty much given up on humanity, because you have all your villains in the wrong order :P

4. A fan of TV says:

Of this final 4, I can see Dexter taking it. What’s more dangerous than a serial killer you grow to love and thus happen to trust, even though who they associate with is a major wildcard? Maybe we should ask Rita how that feels. Or Deb. Except we can’t, because they were unintended consequences to Dexter’s selfish desire to live as the best version of himself (it was his desire the moment he started acting without his father’s help or approval), then run off and abandon his own son thinking he’d be better off with a different serial killer that isn’t him, because that’s so logical and not a messy tie up to a crap final plot. (!?!)

It may or may not be obvious that I still can’t really forgive the show for its final four seasons of utter crap. I’ll give this to Kilgrave as a result, should they remain in their respective leads and face off in the final.

• taran63 says:

What’s more dangerous? Someone who tells you to Stop. And you do.

• A fan of TV says:

Lol careful, you almost sound like you’re making a little threat. Is it criminal or does it offend you to have hated the last 4 years of Dexter or something?

5. Mr. Tran K says:

Shame on the voters. Hannibal Lecter would have make it in the March Badness Final Four.

• Autumn says:

The TV show version of Hannibal (Bryan Fuller’s version) is by far the most evil character out of all of the original 64 villains… The Hannibal Lecter I love is the original one, in the original books by Thomas Harris… but the original Hannibal was in love with Clarice Starling (they ran away together in the end, to live happily ever after) :) Thomas Harris’s version of “Beauty & The Beast”. This makes the original Hannibal redeemable. Fuller’s version of Hannibal is evil incarnate… he is Satan. There’s NOTHING redeemable about Fuller’s Hannibal… That’s why he should have won. This IS a contest of “BADness” after all, not how likable they are.

• Autumn says:

I did see a lot of people posting on the match between the TV version of Lecter and Joe Carroll, and they said that Lecter was winning by a landslide until the last few minutes, when there were a ton of votes for Carroll cast all at once… They’re actually saying someone hacked it.

• JM says:

100% agree.

6. Cris says:

Kilgrave is the most terrifying villain ever!

• thisismenow says:

Dexter is badass but he isn’t a traditional villain. Kilgrave is a passing fad and should never have mad it this far. J.R. Ewing is pure evil, so that one is fine. I have no idea who Black Jack is, but I only saw one episode of that series so I can’t say he doesn’t belong. But TV Line readers, I expect more out of you. This isn’t Tumblr

• Anne says:

I fail to see how this is like Tumblr….unless you’re attempting to make a point that both Black Jack & Kilgrave come from “lady” shows (ie: shows that women like and women tend to congregate on tumblr).

• A fan of TV says:

He might not realize that this site’s clear focus on shows on Freeform means they are targeting a demo (/appeasing a base) much younger than his brain age.

• Cris says:

Ew leave me alone

7. DarkDefender says:

Dexter and Killgrave.
    Killgrave for the win.

8. Hellas13 says:

How is the Outlander dude keep winning?

9. D says:

As much as I love Dexter, kill grave is the most scariest and badass of all!! So far

10. Kim Williams says:

Anyone that did not choose Randall has not watched Outlander!

• Jerri says:

I wish I could +1 this.

• Katie_Mead says:

Or they have watched so far, and also read further in the books to see how the character develops further down the line, which might temper their revulsion of the man, though never fully.

As an aside, yet again only one of two polls is showing up for me, and again across multiple devices and browsers. If I were able to, I’d choose the mass murderer of hundreds, who somehow makes you believe he’s doing the right thing, than the wannabe oligarch who might have had a few people killed along his wanton path of corporate greed, and who few watchers actually like (just love to hate).

• omar says:

amen! +1

11. Jerri says:

I have a feeling some people are voting for Kilgrave simply because he’s played by David Tennant. I remember a whole bunch of fan girls on certain blogs/social media were all ‘crazy’ about Kilgrave, thinking how cool and sexy the guy is and how they wanted to find one just like that. Just no… wrong on so many levels…

12. JessicaRose says:

Kilgrave vs Black Jack Randall is the hardest decision in the whole tournament.

13. Jason says:

This bracket has kind of gotten disjointed. The final pair should have been Kilgrave and Randall. Either one of them is badder than J.R. and Dexter put together. Dexter is probably going to win his round simply based on popularity. That means the final round will really be a villain versus an anti-hero. I question whether Dexter should really have been in this contest.

14. drhenning says:

These polls tend to skew younger… Older TV Watchers would say JR no doubt… Younger people if they bothered only saw a mostly feeble JR on the TNT show…. John Ross took over his father’s bad boy activity on that TNT show… JR also had many years of doing bad stuff but he also got his paybacks on the show… Dexter never did and ended up a trucker…