DWTS Geraldo Rivera

Dancing With the Stars Week 2 Recap: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

Well, here we are again, Dancing With the Stars.

It seems every season, we go through the same routine: The premiere is jam-packed with high-energy, enthusiastic routines, likely prompting Carrie Ann Inaba to say something like, “I love this season!” or “Season X is going to be amazing!”

And then, Week 2 happens. And that means Latin Night happens.

Why do you do this, DWTS producers? When even the most graceful contestants are still figuring out how to maneuver around the ballroom, why do you insist on giving them the most fast-paced, complex routines in their second week?

It’s not a total surprise, then, that Monday’s broadcast featured a few performances that were terrific, a few that were utterly dismal (rhymes with Schmeraldo Schmivera), but most that were just so-so. Before we get to the results, let’s break down the evening’s best and worst performances:

BEST OF THE NIGHT
Paige VanZant and pro Alan Bersten (Salsa) — First things first: I have to give Mark Ballas a demerit for being the exact opposite of reassuring after slipping a disc in his back during camera blocking. Considering this is only her second week of competition, I doubt that VanZant wanted to hear her partner say, “Oh, I’m hurtin’. Oh, I’m in trouble,” just hours before she was set to perform. That said, VanZant brought such confidence and fire to her crisp movements that it was easy to forget she’d only worked with Bersten for barely a day. Judges’ Score: 24/30

BEST OF THE NIGHT (Runner-Up)
Wanyá Morris and pro Lindsay Arnold (Salsa) — For the second week in a row, Morris brought an infectious energy to the dance floor, ensuring that even if he did slip up, we would hardly notice. Fortunately for the Boyz II Men member, his technique was spot-on during a complicated salsa. I understand why Erin Andrews had the pair re-enact those super-fun shimmies, but the sky-high lift that capped Morris and Arnold’s number might have been the evening’s most impressive trick. Judges’ Score: 24/30

MOST IMPROVED
Doug Flutie and pro Karina Smirnoff (Paso Doble) — After winding up near the bottom of the judges’ scoreboard in Week 1, you’ve gotta respect the NFL vet for performing like his Dancing career depended on it. Though it’s easy for the super-intense paso doble to veer into over-the-top territory, Flutie brought the appropriate amount of power to his routine, along with a commitment to each motion that he lacked in last week’s debut. Judges’ Score: 20/30

WORST OF THE NIGHT
Geraldo Rivera and pro Edyta Sliwinska (Salsa) — What do you get when the season’s most abysmal contestant performs a routine dressed as Donald Trump? A place at the bottom of the leaderboard. If the Trump schtick — performed while DWTS contestant/The Donald’s ex Marla Maples was in the same room (!) — weren’t enough to make you cringe, Rivera’s choppy movements and “Hey, I can’t believe I’m really here!” grin surely must have been. Judges’ Score: 13/30

And now, the first results of Season 22:

THREE COUPLES IN JEOPARDY
Mischa Barton and pro Artem Chigvintsev
Geraldo Rivera and Edyta Sliwinska
Doug Flutie and pro Karina Smirnoff

ELIMINATED
Geraldo Rivera and pro Edyta Sliwinska

OK, your turn. Was Geraldo the right choice for this season’s first elimination? Which dancing duos impressed you in Week 2? Hit the comments!

1. Mike C. says:

Mischa Barton literally looks like she would rather be in an audit with the IRS than be on this show. Her lack of camaraderie is almost shocking. She’s Lolo Jones 2.0. #freeartem

• Diane says:

What Mike C. said.

• Angela says:

My mom said pretty much the same thing :p. She definitely did better this week than last, but even then, yeah, I think the critique from last week is still bugging her and she’s just getting overwhelmed with it all.
      No disagreement with sending Geraldo home. I feel for Edyta, though-she comes back only to get stuck with a crappy partner. Hopefully we’ll still see her pop up in special group dances or something throughout the season, though.

• Tiff says:

Totally agree. I love Edyta. She one of my favorite original dancer. I was happy she and her legs were back. It super suck .

• Eileen says:

Totally agree!! Mischa was downright rude! I was a little surprised at the package as well as the reactions of the judges and fellow competitors but it only tells me she must be THAT awful that they struggle to remain professional! That package did NOT show her in a very positive light and then with her storming off after her scores and so on- goodbye! What a shame since Artem is one of my favorites! I will second the hashtag! #freeartem

• MyFavoriteSong says:

Agree1000 percent – I get the impression that being on DWTS is ‘beneath’ her station in the entertainment world. Maybe her agent or someone pivotal in her career forced her to do it. She can go any time now.

• LAwoman says:

Definitely. She isn’t having fun and she’s not fun to watch. Artem seems miserable with her. #freeartem

2. Sally McLinn says:

There outta be a rule. Over 70 year olds not allowed on the dance floor. Maybe have a separate category for the seniors, because there’s no way they can compete against the youngsters.

• Maryann says:

I think this is a wrong idea. There are a few seniors who could compete. But what they should do is go out of their way to pick seniors who could hold their own at least halfway through the season in terms of fitness, agility and flexibility. When Charles Atlas was 96 he swam the English Channel, and I saw a news article on a 70something, award-winning female bodybuilder/ trainer that you would think was no more than 45. If they had to pick people who are less famous, that would be ok. They do that anyway. Lots of Seniors could do a LOT better than Mischa Barton or the woman from Eight is Enough in terms of dance performance.

• sanchopanza says:

I do believe you’ve said this very well. When I think back over some of the elder contestants they’ve had, many of them were such poor choices you can’t help but wonder if they were trying for humor instead of showing that anybody can learn to dance. Geraldo, though – I expected better. What a shame.

• pAloma says:

I know plenty of seniors who could dance the socks off everybody on the show, pros included. Just because the producers picked someone without any grace, agility or rhythm is it an excuse to pull our your ageism.

3. Jake says:

Being such a huge of fan, I’m so disappointed at mischa Barton’s attitude. I still want her to do well and actually feel really bad for artem. She is actually ruining her own acting career.

4. Linda says:

You gave it away with the picture you used on Twitter so you might as well have said it in the tweet.

5. MyFavoriteSong says:

Sorry but I disagree with you about Mark not being re-assuring. He was in pain!!! On the other hand, I was thoroughly POd with Paige for her whining in the background package where she told him in several ways that he was not big enough to lift her, blah, blah, blah. STFU! He’s the pro here.

6. Lola says:

I think this was the first time in DWTS history that the bottom 3 was correct and the right couple did go home. Next week should definitely be Mischa out the door. That girl is like a chalkboard/surfboard- stiff, straight, and motionless. My 80 year old grandmom has more rhythm. Catch the damn beat. Geesh. Nyle is freaking deaf and he’s on rhythm.

7. broncfanwa says:

The right person did go home Geraldo was outclassed and classless. That said, my husband plays with our cat, a game called “dancing kitty” that is lightyears ahead of what Misha dropped on the floor. If there’s any justice she’ll go next.

8. Gina K Gould says:

I agree Mischa Barton is not enthusiastic, seems like everything is at fault-the music, the live band… Its he bad attitude. I feel the blonde from Full House is pretty good, but the scores do not reflect!

• Gina K Gould says:

Yes, Miiischa next. Poor Artem, even the judges and Erin tried to encourage her, but she just needs to change her attitude and pretend she is having fun? Smile perhaps?

• Laura says:

Did you see the judges faces when she made the comment about the live music not sounding like the recording. I may be wrong but I believe Carrie Ann put her head on the desk

9. AngelWasHere says:

I was watching to see Geraldo horrible dancing. He almost had Master P’s scores twice. Darn you Carrie Ann for giving him 5s! Oh well. He provided me some laughs and embarrassed himself. Mission accomplished. :P

10. DW says:

Alan The Replacement seemed like he was taking full advantage of his opportunity to dance and be around Paige, – they seemed to have little chemistry, while Mark seemed to just glower in the wings. Paige was great, but Wanya’ s my bet for the season.

11. JJ says:

While I agree to some extent Rivera should have gone home, I wish Barton had more. Rivera was terrible, but he at least put in effort, didn’t take himself to seriously and could laugh about his poor dance moves. Barton came across a baby and a drama queen, and I felt worse for Artem than I did Edyta as a result. If she doesn’t shape up, she deserves the boot next week.

12. Maryann says:

Definitely the right choice. Should be Mischa Barton next week. Flutie is so improved I really enjoyed his perfofmance and hope he stays around a long time.

• Lauren says:

Mischa should go because she can’t even bring herself to pretend she wants to be there. Poor Erin tried to throw her a bone by asking her if she was at least having fun and her response was basically “no, this is hard.” Come on chick! The voters don’t want you there if you’re miserable. I feel bad for Artem, he is trying so hard.

• Yolanda says:

Actually they love to torment contestants who don’t want to be there and keep them as long as possible: Kate Gosselin, Master P or Billy Ray Cyrus.

13. Rene says:

With the exception of Mischa Barton, it looks to be the best season of all. Everyone is happier and more relaxed now that the spoiled Ho ugh sister and brother are gone. My hope is that they do not return. Also it is great to have Extra back, and I’m ecstatic that Ken is back. He makes the show with his professional expertise, even if it does ruffle some feathers.

14. Yolanda says:

I actually find Mischa Barton’s attitude quite refreshing. Everyone on thow is faking their happiness. They’re acting so cheerful, they have their smiles glued to their faces. They know simple viewers like their entertainment being as fake as possible. She at least doesn’t fake anything. She’s cold, she’s awkward, she’s asocial. She’s herself. I’d rather see people being themselves than fake all the time. Learning to dance is hard and it shows with her. I hope she stays couple weeks more because watching her to stick out like a sore thumb is helluva entertaining!

• Emma says:

But didn’t she say she had danced before? I’m surprised at how bad she is at this. She looks exactly like I would if I went on the show. hah

15. flutiefan says:

Doug was fantastic! Definitely the most improved of all.
    And I have zero bias ;)

16. Terri says:

I thought Mischa Barton looked disappointed that she didn’t get eliminated. I’m not saying Geraldo didn’t deserve to go(he didn’t dance so much as just stand & move his limbs a little) but it’s glaringly & painfully obvious that she doesn’t want to be there.

17. iakovos says:

Surprised more voters did not want to see one more week of Geraldo’s shenanigans than Mischa Barton’s petulance. Mischa Barton has an opportunity here to re-enter some sort of fame she had with THE OC and she blows it. ?!?!?!?!? All she has to do is be pleasant and try. Laugh off the mistakes. World is going to he** in a hand basket and she cannot get over herself? And she has an awesome partner in Artem. I hope she finds the joy this week. If one cannot find in in the glitter dome of DWTS than where?

18. halina says:

I wasn’t sorry to see Geraldo go – just wished that they would pair Edyta with someone that could actually dance somewhat. Love her. Hopefully Edyta coms back whenever needed. She’s a great pro.

19. Hi there, after reading this amazing post i am as well glad to share my experience here with
    friends.

20. What’s up, after reading this remarkable paragraph i am too cheerful to share my experience
    here with mates.

21. After I originally commented I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time
    a comment is added I receive four emails with the exact
    same comment. Perhaps there is an easy method you can remove me from that service?
    Cheers!