March BADness

March BADness Quarterfinals: Jessica Jones and Buffy Villains Clash! Plus: Outlander vs. Sons of Anarchy

To paraphrase the great philosopher George Thorogood, the final eight participants in TVLine’s March BADness Bracket Tournament are b-b-b-b-bad to the bone.

And yet still, only one of them can be b-b-b-b-baddest.

That’s the way it goes when you’re dealing with monsters, madmen and maleficent mamas: They simply won’t rest ’til their rivals are snuggled up under dirt blankets — or they wind up six feet under themselves.

For the next few days, we’ll be asking you to winnow down the field to one ultimate villain. So find a seat in our online Thunderdome, head down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 3 voting will be open for 20 hours), then hit the comments to justify your picks.

Our latest matchups include Kilgrave from Marvel’s Jessica Jones against Angelus of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Jonathan “Black Jack” Randall of Outlander against Gemma Teller Morrow from Sons of Anarchy.

CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and keep coming back to TVLine over the next week to see how March BADness plays out. Now ready, set, vote!

1. Tom says:

Kilgrave over everyone to be quite frank. I believe (I could be wrong) that he is the only serial rapist on this list. Please do correct me if I’m wrong. And thus outweighs any bad that Angelus could ever do.

• AJ says:

I’m pretty sure Angelus raped more people in his 200+ years. I don’t think it was ever stated but from context I’m certain he did. I voted for him because he’s just more evil. Killgrave did rape and control people but Angelus was just on a whole other level.

• Mirabai says:

Angelus raped many women, one was even shown in a flashback. he also killed same woman’s baby. I see Killgrave’s killings, etc, as his need for power whereas Angelus killed for the joy of killing, the more tortuous the better. Thus, I see him as the more evil of the two.

• G says:

Angelus’ focus was the mental manipulation of women (and sometimes men) for his own amusement, for well longer than one human lifetime. For Drusilla alone, this includes driving her insane, torturing and murdering her whole family, torturing and murdering the people in her convent, making her immortal so that she would always be tormented, and having occasional sexual relations with her. I’d say making someone insane first ranks in the same world as mental control.

• jerrired says:

All this. I think Kilgrave will win but Angelus was truly more evil. He was one of those villains that you actually got worried might return at any point and it put you on edge. Killgrave was great but he seemed more to become evil because of his views on people, his family, society, etc. Angelus just took pleasure out of being evil.

• A fan of TV says:

To be honest, when Black Jack raped Jamie, it was a little obvious it was not his first time…then again I haven’t read the books. Maybe it was.

2. Cris says:

Kilgrave got in your head figuratively and somewhat literally with his powers. Even though they didn’t show him until a few episodes after he had a scary and ominous presence that you could feel.

He’s badder.

• Cris says:

“Get back here Jessica!” Chills.

• Jerri says:

Angelus didn’t need powers (beyond being a vampire that is) to mess with people’s minds. He’s been doing it for hundreds of years. Hell, he drove Dru to insanity (figuratively and literally). I’m sure it wasn’t just Dru he did that to. Kilgrave is evil, but Angelus takes the cake on this one.

3. MrScreenAddict says:

I still refuse to believe that Hannibal lost to Joe Carroll. Like, I actively DO NOT believe that that actually happened. It’s simply unimaginable.

4. Wordsmith says:

Angel was a great, tortured hero, but I always felt that Angelus was a tad generic as a villain. The most disturbing thing about him was remembering that he used to be good, rather than the evil he was actually doing.
    If he had never been Angel and just showed up as Angelus, he would have been among the least memorable Big Bads on the show.

5. Steven says:

Would Kilgrave’s powers work on a Vampire? That’s the real question.

6. Hellas13 says:

How did Ramsay Bolton lose?

7. Black Jack Randall is the bad boy of all time , to put Jamie though what he did