Togetherness Cancelled

Togetherness Cancelled at HBO

Togetherness is consciously uncoupling: HBO has cancelled the under-the-radar comedy, announcing that the show’s current second season will be its last.

The April 10 Season 2 finale will now serve as a series finale.

”Although we have decided not to proceed with another season of Togetherness, we look forward to continuing our strong creative collaboration with the talented Jay and Mark Duplass,” HBO said in a statement to Deadline.

Bummed there won’t be a Season 3 of Togetherness? Deposit your heartfelt eulogies in the comments section.

1. T says:

Boooooooooooo! I really enjoyed that show.

2. Leah says:

I’m watching the show right now and I see this pop up. So sad, as it’s really well done and great acting. The Brett-Alex bromance is excellent.

3. Rachel says:

very disappointing

4. Andrea says:

It seems that whenever a great and clever show comes along (think Togetherness and Looking) it gets cancelled. Many of us do appreciate a smart and intelligent show! Very sad!

5. flowerduh says:

C’mon now! I loved this show. Because it shows what relationships really go through! Without the over the top drama.

6. Linda says:

Not surprised, it’s always the really good ones that bite the dust. I’m so angry about this – how does HBO justify this? What will replace it? The acting and how the human condition is expressed is brilliant. So disappointed in HBO I think I’m swallowing my tongue. My husband is going to be pissed too!!!!!

7. Wendy Collins says:

My husband and I really enjoyed Togetherness, which we’re learning almost always brings doom to a show. Bummer – it was well written, well acted, and funny!

8. Asya says:

Very sad, such a quality show!

9. I really loved the show.

10. John Delery says:

Weird timing. The show has been fantastic…since the finale of the first season.

11. Troy says:

I actually enjoyed this show more than Girls and yet they keep renewing Girls when I feel like that show has already run it’s course. So sad to see this end only after two seasons. :-(

12. magsmcdee says:

This is too bad. It is a really good, and mostly realistic look at life show. The last 2 episodes have been especially good in story line and acting. I hope HBO doesn’t measure “success” by GOT numbers. If so, they will continue to cancel shows if they don’t “measure up” – that’s a losing proposition for any new show!

13. Simon Jester says:

I enjoy this show, but I can’t say I’m surprised — I don’t know a single other person who watches it.

• Evelyn says:

I thought the same thing, until I was at a huge get together and so many of them loved the show.

14. Hellas13 says:

So Togetherness and not Girls gets cancelled? Whatever HBO.

• militantgod says:

Do the majority of you guys even understand TV ratings? It’s a miracle that HBO even gave this show a second season so you should be thanking them for even giving us that. It’s TV ratings are horrible, and I mean horrible. There’s virtually no buzz on the show. You can complain about Girls getting renewed but at least it is contantly in the headlines and its ratings this year (which basically suck) are still 60% better than Togetherness. I would love to see Togetherness continue but anyone with half of brain shouldn’t be shocked or upset that HBO gave it the axe. The shock would have been if it were renewed.

15. Los Chuchos says:

The first season was great, but it’s traveling down familiar roads now. She strays, he strays, yada yada. I love the acting and writing, but haven’t we seen this before? “30 Something” anyone??

• Karimc says:

But some of us haven’t seen 30 Something. And these are core issues that so many people deal with in life, so why can’t multiple shows address the same issues? The acting and writing are phenomenal.

16. YM says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Tear! I love Togetherness.

17. Rebecka says:

nooo, I like this show so much!

18. LAwoman says:

So disappointed!

19. Erin says:

It was a well written, well acted, sweet spot of a show without zombies or dragons; so of course it was going to be cancelled.

20. Michelle says:

I’m so freaking upset! I love this show! I want to see what’s going to happen with Alex and Tina!!! Ugh! Is Brett and Michelle going to get back together?!! This sucks!!!

21. Lisa Craig says:

What a Bummer.. I loved this show. This just sucks…another great show bites the dust.

22. Ricky says:

So disappointed that Togetherness has been cancelled. Fantastically written and acted. I loved these characters. I am from London and it seemed like Sky Atlantic (the channel its on) just didn’t plug it enough and put it on at a late time. I’m not knocking shows like Game Of Thrones etc (the big shows), they are great. But surely there has to be room for character driven emotive story telling like Togetherness as well to balance it out? Just cause it doesn’t get high ratings it doesn’t make it irrelevant!

23. Amy says:

Sad to see them go!!
    What’s going to happen to Michelle & Brett? Will Tina and Alex finally get together? Will Sophie ever be punished for her evil ways ( key hiding, orange juice spilling, )? Please don’t leave us hanging..,

24. Toby Altfeld says:

I’m very disappointed that Togetherness had been cancelled . Please reconsider .

25. Brent Zipoy says:

This is ridiculous. My wife and I always look forward to it. Any chance it will get picked up by another network?

26. Teresa Painter says:

This was a show that involved family topics very funny sarcastic and I’m sorry that you’re letting it go, we all have family drama and it was just nice to have a show that put you back to reality , and made you feel like your family was normal. It’s wrong to cancel this. Lot of family values. I look forward to it every Sunday

27. April says:

I am absolutely heartbroken that you are canceling a well-written, thought-provoking, intelligent family drama for adults. Not all adults have it together. Many of us are finding our way. Having a show that represents the human condition of actual people in the 30-40 something range is refreshing. I look forward to every single episode, and when I found out tonight that you aren’t renewing for a third season, I literally had an adult temper tantrum after our child went to sleep. Please fix this. It’s the main reason I have HBO.

28. Cheryl Mullen says:

In a world where nearly every damn show is peopled with characters who are unlikable, unrelatable or just plain ‘meh’, I loved watching those four wriggle in and out of each others’ lives. C’mon. Let Mark and Jay keep writing Season 3. Signed ‘Not Even a Hipster at 61’.

29. Abigail Ryan says:

Pretty sad the show is not coming back for a 3rd season. It was incredible. Love the actors, love the writers, love the characters. Could have gone a lot farther….boo HBO

30. Amanda says:

This is such an honest, funny and real show. Amanda Peet acted her arse off. The duplass brothers are brilliant and HBO is doing a disservice to everyone by cancelling the show. I’m so disappointed. I’ve grown to love these characters and I was looking forward to seeing them grow. I want to see more of the duplass brothers. Their writing is so fresh. Wahhhhhh.

31. Brenda Gass says:

Why?????? I love this show…..it’s so nice to see a couple that is a hot mess still making it. I love everything about Togetherness. It works….please reconsider and keep it.

32. G.P says:

What a great show!!! Who’s the ding dong that pulled the plug here??? Bring it back or find a new network!!!

33. Jill Landsman says:

Such a disappointment! A wonderful, smart and meaningful show. A real bummer!

34. Hilde Price-Levine says:

We will miss this show. It’s one of the few intelligently written and
    Acted shows on the air.

35. Beth olson says:

Hoping that another network will pick up this fantastic show. Two seasons is not enough!!!!!

36. What a beautiful show that I will truly miss. Mark, Melanie, Amanda, and Steve – you guys rock – my heart is broken.

37. Nancy Lyons says:

Sorry to hear this has been cancelled.

38. This was yet another intelligent show for intelligent people. Apparently there aren’t enough of us out there to support quality shows like this and “Bored to Death.” My husband and I appreciated the realness of the characters and the writing was awesome.

I understand ratings and it doesn’t make sense to keep a show going with limited viewers. I just wish ratings (or a lack thereof) wouldn’t take away quality shows such as this one.

39. Deborah Grenier says:

Very sad…loved that show!

40. Karyn G says:

Another well liked series cancelled.
    I understand the bottom line is about money, but at what cost. More reality TV?? Come on HBO… Can’t you afford to keep a well-liked, well-written show about real people ? It’s so disappointing when you really get into something and then it’s taken away. You’re slowly becoming the vessel for movies we’ve all seen and less about quality.

41. Pam says:

Too bad!! I enjoyed watching this right after Girls!

42. B says:

I am extremely disappointed. I loved this show and could see a future in keeping it interesting. Sad that it got cancelled.

43. Jerry says:

I can t believe HBO is canceling this smart funny well written albeit quirky comedy. I am really annoyed and disappointed! HBO has dropped a big notch in quality for me. HBooO!

44. this is so disappointing. I think it was one of HBO’s best series. Shows like this and Getting On are such losses.

45. Melissa says:

This is a fantastic show! Great writing and actors! Please don’t cancel!

46. Laura says:

There are so many boring, cookie cutter tv shows cluttering up the airways. When I discovered Togetherness I thought..”Finally…there is hope yet!!” Togetherness was so well written…smart, funny, and often heartbreaking. And now it’s ending after only 2 seasons! I wish HBO did more to promote it before deciding to pull it. Sad and disappointed in New Jersey!

47. Tracey Pires says:

I live in New Zealand and this is my favorite programme. I’m am gutted to see there won’t be another series, really really sad about it.
    Great script and amazing actors. What a waste to not make a series 3 and beyond!
    I hope someone actually reads this…..

48. Togetherness is one of my fav. shows.. I can’t accept this..

49. jessica siciliano says:

Ridiculous! There is meaningful and relevant writing in this series when so many others are lacking. I am so disappointed in this news. Netflix, want to pick Togetherness up?