The Catch Renewed Season 2

Ratings: ABC's The Catch Debuts to Sub-HTGAWM Numbers

ABC’s new #TGIT member, The Catch, debuted to 5.8 million total viewers and a 1.2 rating on Thursday, down in the demo from both time slot predecessor How to Get Away With Murder‘s Season 2 average (6.2 mil/1.9) and its week-ago finale (5.3 mil/1.4).

Leading out of Scandal, The Catch demonstrated 75 percent demo retention versus American Crime‘s year-ago 67 percent. TVLine readers gave the Mireille Enos/Peter Krause cat-and-mouse caper an average grade of “B-.”

Opening ABC’s night, Grey’s Anatomy (7.9 mil/2.0) added a few eyeballs but ticked down to a season low demo (and its lowest rating since April 2, 2015). Scandal (6.2 mil/1.6) stabilized.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

NBC | You, Me and the Apocalypse (2.7 mil/0.6) and Shades of Blue (5.1 mil/1.0) were steady.

FOX | American Idol (8 mil/1.7) was steady.

CBS | NCAA tourney coverage averaged 6.3 mil and a 2.0.

1. Hmmm, not what I was hoping for. Hopefully ABC lets it grow and gives fans a chance to follow it.

• I think Scandal is really harming the 10pm timeslot. Same thing is happening to HTGAWM.

• Dude says:

It’s a Shonda show so they won’t pull it. They wouldn’t risk hurting their relationship with her. I don’t see it being renewed tho.

• lechatnoir says:

the numbers are not bad , just a little lower compared to other shonda’s offerings fro the same Boulangerie. Now looks I love my fellow French Mireille Enos but I really think she lacks sparks , she is good but someone like Kelly Hu would have done this role justice.

2. Douglas from Brazil says:

A 12th season show is the top rated.

3. Mara says:

Scandal is killing that timeslot. I enjoyed The Catch and will tune in even though I’ve stopped watching Scandal.

4. Brian says:

Feel bad for Mireille Enos. She deserves better.

5. Cas says:

Idk how people continue watching Greys. I use to love it. But I stopped after killing off Derek. Mainly because storylines were repetitive and I just couldn’t watch anymore. I know it is only a TV show but the amount of deaths that happen on it is a little far feteched. But good for them for still getting the ratings.

• Emme says:

I loved Derek (and cried like the Dickens when they killed him), but I love Grey’s as it is… right now. I hated Grey’s during the Lexie years and stopped watching despite some of the other great characters, but Grey’s is just masterful at making us love these characters. I don’t know how they do it. They lose some, they gain some back. That’s a quality show.

• L says:

LMAO no it isn’t. Grey’s is a terrible show. It’s become about very Perils of Pauline re: Meredith. It’s lost so many cast members and the writing consistently falls back on soap opera tropes. It started falling south in S3 even – I will never accept the unrealistic lack of consequences that Izzie got for the LVAD business.

I’m not surprised about the ratings though. Big Bang Theory and NCIS do really well too and they’re bland basic shows. Americans watch crappy television and call it gold, basically.

• igniting says:

Did you stop watching because you didn’t like Lexie? That might explain why after she left you liked the show and thought it was quality. Personally, I found the show terrible before and after (even though I loved Lexie) except the S9 interns were boring to boot. Then, they repeated their own sister storyline which is laughable and shows that they were running out of ideas. When Cristina left, my interest in the show was gone.

6. wrstlgirl says:

Loving Shades of Blue. It’s really good. So glad it got renewed for season two.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

Don’t know if The Catch will bounce back in Week 2.

8. Meky says:

I do not understand why people think that these ratings are good when what matters is the demo and 2.0 GA is the lowest since April 2015, and not see that CBS no shows.😑

• ABG says:

Grey’s has been on the air for 12 years. Most new hows would love to have a 2.0 (i.e The Catch, Quantico, Limitless, Supergirl, etc…)

9. EM says:

I figured the ratings would be down based on last years numbers for the Thursday before good friday and easter. I think Grey’s was a series low and that was with a heavily promoted Derek episode. A lot of people have a long weekend and started leaving work early yesterday to get on the road for spring break or vacation. Not the night to premier a new show IMO.

10. Guy says:

Mireille Enos deserves better than some crap from Shonda.

• igniting says:

She honestly does. Shonda’s shows usually start off great and then spin rapidly out of control into soap territory. HTGAWM is okay but it veers on becoming a mess. It’s only saved by having Viola Davis consistently acting her butt off. This show doesn’t even have an interesting premise or interesting actors to save it iMO.

11. :-) says:

I enjoyed it but i don’t think it was cast properly. I also question how long the the concept is sustainable. I’ll keep watching. It was predictable but fun. It made me feel like i was watching white collar and leverage in some places.

12. Abel Garcia says:

The Catch was a disappointment to me because the story was kind of hard to follow and believing highly educated people could be con. So to me, ratings were deserved.

13. Janice says:

The catch story line is off to me, she’s a PI but didn’t do a back round check on the guy I guess he could have faked it but still…..I’ll give it another try but it seems like it’ll get stale quick

14. The Catch looks awful! I LOVED her in the show ‘The Killing” but this looks stupid and cheesy. They dolled her up and it doesn’t suit her. She’s very pretty but she plays better “darker” characters.

15. Violet Verly says:

I will not watch this show for many reasons, but mostly because of the lead actress. She is very angular, her face is too wrinkly, she has no appeal and looks like clown with deep wrinkles around her mouth. There are so many beautiful actresses, why use someone so unattractive that it makes it a hard work to watch? Also its time for ABC to move on from Shonda Rhimes, the only reason Gray’s Anatomy worked was because of the great lead actors, the rest of the shows bummed. How to get away with murder is extremely boring, I could not watch it after the first few episodes. Scandal started ok, but very soon became a gummy melancholy with murder here and there. This new show has no appeal and its just another sad excuse for TV drama.

16. Janis says:

Mireielle’s fake eyelashes make her look like she’s on Fox News at 5. Horrible. That and her wrinkled lips make her look sooooo old. Where are the make up people????