Exclusive
American Idol Song Spoilers

American Idol: Get the Full Set List for Sia Songbook/American Rock Night!

For those about to rock the American Idol stage, we’ve… got spoilers!

That’s right, TVLine has obtained the full set list for the Season 15 Top 5 performance show (tonight, 8/7c on Fox) — and for the first time in weeks, there are some unexpected zigs in the contestants’ “Idol journeys” (TM Ryan Seacrest).

Can we give an enthusiastic round of applause to guest mentors Stevie Van Zandt and Sia for these developments? I think it’s only fair!

Without further ado, here’s the breakdown of songs:

Sia Songbook
La’Porsha Renae — “Elastic Heart”
MacKenzie Bourg — “Titanium”
Trent Harmon — “Chandelier”
Dalton Rapattoni — “Bird Set Free”
Sonika Vaid — “Loved Me Back to Life”

American Rock Songs
La’Porsha Renae — Bon Jovi’s “Wanted Dead or Alive”
MacKenzie Bourg — Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me”
Trent Harmon — Z.Z. Top’s “Sharp Dressed Man”
Dalton Rapattoni — The Beach Boys’ “God Only Knows”
Sonika Vaid — Patti Smith Group’s “Because the Night”

What do you think of this week’s set list? Who’s destined to soar? Whose picks are making you skittish? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. MicoMendoza says:

LAPORSHA would yet again win the night,!

• Red says:

Not with Wanted Dead Or Alive she won’t. That’s a ridiculous song choice for her. It’s about a road weary rocker worn down by the grind of touring. How does she relate to that? She’s never been away from home before Idol.

• I’m looking over the past winners and realizing only five females have ever won. It makes me nervous that there will once again be an “upset” – how often does the best singer actually win? (Let’s ask Melinda…)

2. MicoMendoza says:

Cringing at Mac’s Titanium and Dalton’s Bird Set Free…

• Emma says:

I’m sure MacKenzie will change up Titanium so that it suits his voice, he certainly can’t belt it. I’ll have to look up Bird Set Free, I’m not familiar with that one.

• Mary says:

MacKenzie voice reminds me of Peter Brady’s when his voice was changing. I usually love singer songwriters, but he does nothing for me at all. The only song I have enjoyed of his was the one he wrote, and even then I think it would of been better if someone else sung it.

• Steven says:

I was hoping they’d go further back into Sia’s songbook history and have MacKenzie sing Breathe Me. I think he’d do amazing!

3. Chad says:

Can’t believe they’re only doing newer Sia songs. Her earlier songs before uber-fame would have been amazing for the Idol stage. If they only wanted well-known ones, someone could have at least done Breathe Me!

4. Trent looks like he could let loose on Chandelier and after Simple Man, I don’t doubt that he can handle Sharper Dressed Man.

As usual, I think La’Porsha’s got the best two songs. But she’s taking some risks with them and I like that.

5. I think the beach boys is also a good choice for Dalton. But cheap trick and MacKenzie sounds like a potential train wreck…

6. Leo says:

Oh crap. I’m a Trent fan and I can already imagine his face-pulling and long belts. Chandelier should be banned from singing competition.

7. Mary says:

This will be an interesting night. Sia is hard to sing and pull off. Not sure about Mac singing Titanium doesn’t have the range so I expect a real slow down version. Not familiar with Dalton so we shall see. I only see LaPorsha and maybe Dalton if he stays on key pulling off the rock songs. Maybe Sonika, but unfortunately I don’t think she will get to perform it, unless they change up how they eliminate them. I have a feeling I will be fast forwarding quite a few performances.

8. jr. says:

Never heard of the songs chosen for Laporsha. While the others are more well known songs.
    Elastic Heart??

• Selina says:

Elastic Heart is actually a very well-known Sia song

• Jackie Joy says:

As well as Wanted Dead or Alive…

• Emma says:

IKR! I’m a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride, and I’m wanted, waaannnttteddd, dead or alive, dead or alive. Bon Jovi FTW!

• Emma says:

P.S. Love the song, but don’t love the thought of La’Porsha singing it. We’ll have to wait and see how that goes.

• Mary says:

They have to shorten the song, so maybe she will eliminate that part of it. I think it will be interesting to say the least.

• Red says:

I know! And what about “I walk these streets, a loaded six string on my back”? Ludicrous! Or “I’ve been everywhere, standing tall. I’ve seen a million faces and I’ve rocked them all” This is just incomprehensible.

9. Amy says:

Mackenzie keeps picking songs that have been covered (but not necessarily on Idol) by David Cook and/or Kris Allen. Is he doing this deliberately, lol?

10. Jill Capelonga says:

I was hoping Trent would do Alive. Not sure about Chandelier will be interesting. This week we can finally download a song on iTunes. Would have loved to download Simple Man. This week is a challenge for all contestants especially MacKenzie. Dalton should have a good week and LaPorsha will be fine. This unfortunately I think this is Sonika’s last week.

11. RD says:

Since all Sia’s songs sound virtually the same i’m guessing it’s going to be a very boring first half.

12. The Beach says:

All the others are doing harder rockers. I kinda figured Dalton would pick a softie that he can EMO up.

13. JMay says:

If Trent does Kevin Simm’s version of Chandelier from the Voice UK 2016, it should be really good

14. BrookeBS says:

I’m so interested to hear how La’Porsha is going to sing Wanted Dead or Alive. I would never have picked that for her. Should be interesting!!

15. Yadon says:

La’ Porsha is the best singer but I am not sure if she would be marketable or not. Dalton is the most marketable but I don’t think he is that good vocally. There is no Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood in the remaining top 5. The show had potential to do so but they let all those contestants go early.

• Emma says:

It’s too bad they couldn’t find a stronger group of singers for the final season. I can’t see any of these contestants having Carrie or Kelly careers, not remotely. Also I don’t think Kelly did La’Porsha any favours by declaring her the winner. I don’t really have a horse in this race but I could understand fans of the other contestants not appreciating that and rallying around their favourite.

• Mary says:

Honestly I think Carrie and Kelly would find it difficult to have their level of success in today’s music market. Quite honestly they probably wouldn’t even win AI. If this show was all about the voice, pardon the pun, then LaPorsha should win, but we all know that isn’t what AI is about. I honestly think Kelly see’s LaPorsha as having success but I am not sure Scott B would do her justice.

• Red says:

I can see Dalton going into an MC type career due to his likability. Something along the lines of Joey Fatone or Wayne Brady.

• sourpatchadult says:

There would’ve been if they had kept JESSICA FREAKIN CABRAL. I’ll never fully understand why she was eliminated.

• Smokey says:

Correct. The real possibilities for a young female rising star to follow some of the more successful girls from former seasons —- were left in the lurch by the Judges and/or voters that did not get to see them enough to get a feel for their real capabilities in a combination of voice and performance dynamics.

16. marie says:

God Only Knows is one of my favorite songs of all time. No, I do NOT want to hear Dalton attempt it – I actually CRINGED when I read that (no offense intended, Dalton fans, but he just does nothing for me at all). Nor do I want to hear Sonika attempt Because the Night; her voice is very sweet and she doesn’t have the grittiness for it. But I’d listen to that before I’d listen to Dalton make a mess of that gorgeous Beach Boys song. Ugh.

• Selina says:

I’ve heard Dalton’s studio recorded version of God Only Knows from iTunes (I actually purchased it) and it is very good. I think you’d be pleasantly surprised.

• marie says:

That WOULD be a surprise, all right. We’ll see.

• marie says:

Dalton is NO Carl Wilson.

• Mary says:

Auto tune works wonders, the real test is the live version which I don’t think he will pull off. Personally they shouldn’t put I-tunes up until after the show because votes should be based on performances not recordings that are tweeted to make an artist sound good.

• Lizzie says:

I think that God Only Knows seems like a very good selection for Dalton to sing.

• Mary says:

If rumors are true and Sonika is the one eliminated she won’t get to perform either of her songs so you will be spared. Personally I am hoping for a shock elimination – Dalton.

17. Lizzie says:

What gets interesting at this point of the show, is who benefits from the votes that would have gone to the last person voted off. My opinion is that Sonika has had the least number of votes, so Tristan’s votes are in play to benefit someone this week. Don’t know how that will play out, and still think that Tristan lost her way on the show when she went with country instead of staying along the Alicia Keys line, which would have made her more interesting and marketable.

18. I love MacKenzie!!! I’m voting him and LaPosha for the finals. Dalton is not Adam Lambert and is trying too hard. MacKenzie should really do a Justine Bieber or Ed Sheeran Thinking out Loud

19. sourpatchadult says:

Idk how I feel about LaPorsha with ‘Wanted Dead Or Alive’…all I can say is do the best with what you’re pretty much forced to do.

20. Nappaluk says:

La’Porsha – Great voice, but definitely not a new one.
    MacKenzie – Mac would have been a great bar folk singer in the 70’s & 80’s.
    Trent – Something really phony about this guy.
    Dalton – Dalton has style and can change up enough to keep it interesting.
    Sonika – Very pretty young woman, but -yawn-

21. Jacqueline says:

La Porsha brought tears to my eyes…she is an awesome talent with a sincere spirit and heart.

22. Mario ortiz Capone says:

I’m very disappointed about this 5 final Contestans!!.. I don’t agree at all. I really think there was better Contestans than this 5 you have now.
    No wonder they are cancelling AMERICAN IDOL.
    IT SUCKSSSSSSSS.

23. i was kind of hoping Chandelier and Titanium would be off the table because they have been DONE TO DEATH on these singing shows. I think LaPorsha could really get into the meaty emotional lyrics of Elastic heart, and Sonika might be able to do something nice with a stripped down version of love me back to life that plays to her strengths rather than going for bombast. (Not that it’s going to save her anyway, I’d just like her to end her run with a performance she can be proud of.) As for the classic rock songs I hope we get some interesting deconstructions and interpretations because the songs themselves…meh.

24. Emily says:

I feel like La’Porsha could rock Wanted Dead Or Alive like Melinda did Have A Nice Day.

25. Greg says:

Every week I’m reminded of the DIVINITY of Melinda Doolittle!

26. Wow because this is extremely good job! Congrats and keep it up.|