Reality Check: Who Deserves to Win Idol — And Who Should Be Bottom 2? Plus: The Magic of Adam Lambert!

We’re down to five contestants on American Idol‘s farewell season, but regardless of how the next three weeks play out, there’s only one contestant who’s proven worthy of a key to the House That Allison Iraheta Gorgeously Graffitied.

On this week’s episode of Reality Check, my co-host Melinda Doolittle and I break down the most recent performances from the remaining vocalists, call attention to the massive improvement in the second half of last Thursday’s episode — and theorize the reasons why — and debate who should and will wind up at risk of elimination.

Plus, Melinda and I share a kumbaya moment over the fabulousness of Adam Lambert, get into a heated debate over the merits of La’Porsha Renae’s “No More Drama” and even ask the controversial question, “Do we miss Randy Jackson?”

It’s a perfectly ridiculous episode — one that includes a Melinda Season 6 flashback, a snippet of David Cook’s “Billie Jean” and another reference to J.Lo’s faulty memory.

Press PLAY above for Part 1, and below for Part 2, then hit the comments with your thoughts on the week in Idol!

1. Kate says:

MICHAEL. MELINDA. JASON. DON’T LEEEEAVE ME.

• Idol Apocalypse says:

I’m with Slezak on the “No More Drama” discourse where La’Porsha may be technically and of course EMOTIONALLY there, but you’ll never sold me with a condensed performance (w/ a fast forward X2 on the remote approach) especially with a song that needs a bit long emotional build-up (a bit like “I Will Always Love You” and “Bohemian Rhapsody”) and give it a perfect “A” grade, “A-” is arguable though. On the other end, I’m with Melinda’s take on the grading of La’Porsha’s 2nd performance in comparison to other performances.

• NJIdoloonie says:

Where are the contestant interviews on Reality Check? Are they not allowed to talk to Slezak anymore?

2. Guy says:

Not entirely sure who the bottom 2 should be, but the bottom 1 should definitely be Dalton. I highly doubt that will happen though.

• Emma says:

Sonika is most likely in the bottom 2 and going home. I can’t really guess who else would be in the bottom 2 this week. I’ve never been a fan of Trent’s singing, so I’d pick him but he’s never been in danger so he’s obviously pretty popular for reasons I can’t comprehend.

• DC says:

He needs to go. It’s time.

• Allan and Nina says:

I hppe Dalton wins!Je deserves the win and he has showed the most doversity. He is very talented!! Our family votes for Dalton!!

3. Kate says:

A proposition! You guys start your own web show spinoff of Idol, maybe featuring the best underdogs/ gone-too-soon contestants of the last seasons. You guys pick the theme weeks, you get other former Idol contestants to help judge/mentor/plug their current work. The contestants perform via webcam and we vote each week until we get a new Idoloonie.

It could probably never happen, but I would gladly pay real American dollars if it did.

4. Rob says:

I just love Melinda’s ‘Hope’ picture in the background coupled with her ‘Nope’ tank top. It’s the perfect metaphor for the Idol fandom at this point.

5. trickster says:

Still Team Slezak on “No More Drama”

6. Timmah says:

I was not a LaPorsha fan when this began, but she has won me over. I think she deserves to win, in part because the other ones have delivered mostly lackluster performances while she is bringing the fire every week. Of course she’ll probably end up losing to a marginally talented, good-looking guy with a guitar.

• Emma says:

Yep. Girls don’t win this show unless they don’t put any boys in the top 5. Hahah. I’m on the opposite trajectory as you, I liked LP in the beginning but now I think she’s over doing the runs and I’m tired of them. But tbh there’s no one I’m really excited about this year, it’s been all so meh. Way to go out with a whimper, Idol!

• Jonny Z. says:

LaPorsha has a very strong chance of winning, because the biggest block of voters are women between the ages of 35 and 55 — and they are mostly supportive of LaPorsha for one reason or another…….. Young girls don’t watch this show in big numbers anymore, that’s a myth that still carries over from earlier years….., Winning the show is one thing and a very good thing for the winner ,,,,,,, but attaining star levels afterward, is a whole different and much more difficult process.

• HTGR says:

Yeah they say the average voter has been a middle aged southern women (and actually by an overwhelming margin as of the last number of seasons, part of the problem with these shows is the voting base tends to be at least somewhat broad the first few seasons but then it quickly becomes somewhat uniform and very different from the public at large, much less the Billboard 100 listening to public at large and as it shifts it hits a spiral, people get sick of WGWG or a super duper country sounding singer always winning or going 10x farther than even the most incredible other singers so they stop voting and then it becomes even more like that (not to mention add in producer manipulation, the Haley season lead to their first huge drop, that finale (relatively speaking compared to how other finale’s did vs. top 3 and top 4 numbers) plunged and the start of the next seasons stayed off by the same amount and then it just rolled down more.
          The only female winner in the last decade was Candice and that was only because they stacked the deck and only let way below average guys into the show that year and even then an Angie-type still couldn’t even make the final.
          Crazy thing is as popular as female pop singers are on the Billboards, not one has won one of these shows since Jordin Sparks! And for all the talk about how cute white pop girls have an unfair advantage. LOL. They have among the toughest time to get votes of any type at all. Kelly Clarkson remains the one and only such winner on any of these shows (US versions only of course, in other nations they appear to be able to do about as well as expected) ever!
          Back when a lot of people watched and voted from all across America, the first few seasons saw quite a mix (even then McPhee still couldn’t quite beat out Hicks, but at least the most stunning vocalist at least still made the finale) with Clarkson, Studdard, Barrino, Hicks, Underwood, Sparks.
          And yeah with the reduced audience and skewed audience Idol no longer auto-launches even a winner and it’s been a while since it auto launched finalists and even long since it auto-launched those who make top six. But they still act like it would, so they don’t bother giving people a push, and give up before they barely tried and of course they make no splash.

7. Jeanne Grier says:

LaPorsha is not only the best vocalist this season,but she is consistent in her capture of the audience during her performances. LaPorsha has consistently stated anything can happen before the end of the season and she does not get allow the adulation to get to her head. In her video made the day after her 3-17 performace, LaPorsha stated her main emphasis is to bring the issue of domestic violence to the attention of the public. She left her husband in May and started her AI journey in June after her audition. No time to heal. This was a perfect selection for her and it brought healing to a multitude of listeners. I admire her courage, determination, character, humility and love for her baby girl. However, the best singer DOES NOT WIN!! The contestant with the most votes win. Which is why it is important to vote for your favorite singer TO THE MAX EVERY WEEK. Trent and LaPorsha are the most skilled and the best prepared vocalists every week. Hopefully they will both make it to the finale.

• bev says:

Sorry but LaPorsha needs to go, sick of hearing about her , how good she is.

• Kelly says:

I agree bev and she appears to become more and more “cocky” …She will definitely have a career thanks to Idol. Give it to someone that would not normally have made it without the show – I’m a HUGE Trent Harmon fan !

• DCTodd says:

If LaPorsha doesn’t win, Trent is the only remaining finalist I’d like to see win (since Sonika is going home this week). Dalton is a poseur and strikes me as inauthentic, and Mackenzie only brings that “been there, done that” feeling of past winners like Kris Allen and Phillip Phillips…

• alicia says:

Like that’s a bad thing????????????? I think you need to go

8. Monica says:

I am sorta curious on the LaPorsha front about how good she is. I mean, she’s clearly the best vocalist in this current crop. But I’m not sure how many of her performances would end up on a ’50 best idol performances of all time’ list or what have you.

i wonder if she actually suffers by having such a weak crop around her and if she’d feel more or less impressive if she’d had to have gone up against kelly or Carrie or Fantasia or even Adam.

• Guy says:

No one this season has been as impressive as any of the former contestants you mentioned. This was possibly the most lackluster crop of singers the show has ever had. I still think about specific defining performances from the singers you’ve mentioned, as well as ones from Haley Reinhart, Kris Allen, Allison Iraheta, and several others. There hasn’t been a performance yet from anyone this season that will stand out for me like those ones did, that I’ll revisit every so often because it moved me so much. A shame this show is going out on such a low note.

• Guest says:

I agree. I don’t think I remember a less talented or compelling group of AI contestants in all my years of watching it. I’m relieved that this last season is abbreviated and that I don’t have to watch anymore. I mean, I’m aware I don’t have to watch now, but I do it out of habit.

• PaoloAKhan says:

Lackluster crop of singers? That’s season 9. Lackluster crop of singers in the top 5? Yep. It is this season.

• James says:

Slezak actually has two performances of La’Porsha’s in the top 30 already. In contrast to the others who have none lol

• Timmah says:

Even though I think LaPorsha is the best season, I doubt I would put a single performance of hers in the top 50 of all time. This season has been a huge letdown.

9. ovationimpact says:

Adam Lambert vocals fill a room no matter the Audience capacity with liquid gold, and platinum!! Loved his new song and admire his giving character as he selflessly shared his last appearance on the AI stage with another singer. I could have listened to four more songs sung by Adam Lambert in between the remaining contestants. Oh wait… Me bad … forgot the shows 15 season premise is to rapidly discover a new singing talent that Scott can sign to his record label and slowly produce their first album.
    Long live the talent search reality shows.

• Listen to four more songs from Adam? LOL You can. He’s on tour and he’s fronting Queen again. You know that. I just want to make sure everyone else knows it. Hopefully there are some tickets left. And for those who can’t believe it, he looks and sounds better LIVE! But what do you expect from a unicorn? If Idol was designed to find a worldwide superstar, they could have quit after season 8.

• wjsc says:

Could have, and should have. I’d hate to perform after Adam in any capacity. Even at my best, I’d humiliate myself. He is perfection — the performer all performers should strive to be.

10. Temperance says:

I actually liked Trent’s A Simple Man enough to give it the number one slot of the night, just barely shading La’portia’s first song. He second song was hampered too much by the cut, but between the three songs, the pair weren’t even in the same contest with the rest. That said, MacKebzie’s Billie Jean might have become my favorite cover, even over Cook’s – which is fantastic.

11. Chez says:

Adam Lambert is like hot liquid gold sex… Sometimes, he looks like a Japanese anime dark prince character that came to life… or he is some kind of ethereal fallen angel… He is SO beautiful! Inside and out… And yes, he WILL WIN this season’s Idol!

• karenb says:

Haha. Not a huge Adam fan, but I will say that he looked good and his new song is really catchy.

• MamaLis says:

I agree. That was/IS the thing about Adam. He’s sexy as hell. I often think gay men are good looking, but rarely am I thinking they’re hot as heck. I remember thinking that all season he was on AI and I STILL think that now! Come on Adam, take one for our team! ;-)

12. Cubic says:

You guys, this is some serious BERTing going on lol… It’s ok, this is called the Adam Lambert effect! I love how he bent rules by putting a new single out just because he felt like it! He’s a rebel and he thrills me! What a great surprise I love it!
    Unicorn? Lol… I always see him as a LOTR’s elf… Tall and leggy, graceful and classy, beautiful hair and features, supernatural talents, beautiful personality…. True, he is like a mythical creature cos no such perfection exists in real life!

13. Mark says:

Yes to LaPorsha showing us something new. Yes to Melinda’s “Nope”. Hope Trent and MacKenzie will bring A-game performances for the next few weeks. In an ideal world it’s Dalton who leaves but expect it will be Sonika.

• Jonny Z. says:

Very likely will be Sonika gone this week. If the producers decide to pull another “save” out of their hat for any reason, they won’t save Sonika this time. Otherwise, if Sonika does come in last anyway, they will just say they used their last save last week.

• PSCali says:

Sonika was a no chair turn on The Voice. The AI Producers would be embarrassed if she was in the top 3, so they will conspire to get rid of her. Too bad, because she has really improved.

14. I think I’m the only person in existence who can’t stand the sound of Adam lambert’s voice.

• imrah says:

I belive you are the only person…off course there are fans of other IDOL contestants who would go out of their way to find anything Adam & post negative comments…lets face it…Adam is worldwide superstar who is living his dream…he also fronts legendary band Queen in his spare time…he is touring worldwide because of his tremendous phenomenal vocals & larger than life stage presence.

• Mary says:

Really, I am sure he is not the only one and it is okay if someone doesn’t like Adam’s voice – get a grip. I think it is beautiful, but I did not care for his new song at all – was repetitive,but that is okay because I like others of his.

• Diane Eifert says:

Adam is an amazing singer. It’s fine if someone doesn’t like his voice. Personally I did not like Welcome to The Show but I am going to his concert next week.As @Imrah said. He is a worldwide Superstar. He has made a massive comeback for Queen and his shows in the United States are all sold out. Love him or hate him he is a star.

• imrah says:

Oh i have got a grip, i was just pointing out facts, one doesn’t get to be a frontman for a Queen band with bad vocals,i agree not everyone likes same singer but to say u can’t stand his voice is not very nice since all evidence poits to Adam’s great vocals & idol continues to have him every year in some capacity…even as a fill in judge position…moving on…loving all the gushing by Melinda & Slezack here & in all articles praising Adam’s greatness.

• KristenK says:

You’re entitled to your opinion. I feel that way about Kelly Clarkson. I can’t stand her voice!

• Madge says:

Many Japanese cartoon fans (esp. Naruto) and gamers use this particular song of Adam’s in their fanvids. A few commented that that is the only song that they like by Adam. Try to check it out if you haven’t – ‘Runnun’ (BLAST your earphones/speakers). Adam has never sung this song live but due to popular demand, he’s singing it in his current The Original High tour (search –> TALC HD – Adam Lambert – Runnin, Chokehold & Sleepwalker – #TohUSTour – Terminal 5 NYC)

• carmen says:

I must be the other one.

• carmen says:

And I’m laughing at the “worldwide superstar” label re Adam Lambert, he has sold maybe 2 and a half million albums worldwide in seven years. Justin Bieber and One Direction are worldwide superstars.

• Lyn says:

For now. Actually IMO Bon Jovi would be a better example of Superstar. 30 years in and their tours always are in the top 10 worldwide. People will outgrow Bieber and One Direction.

• Marie Hunter says:

Your Stats Are Way Off..#ToH.Ghost Town 3 x platinum in many countries And Platinum in USA Justin Bieber was not asked to Front For Queen nor has he released 2 brand new songs in one month= march 2016.One direction no longer exists. -just sayn

• carmen says:

His own publicity says he’s sold 2 and 1/2 million worldwide – so what’s off about that?Your stats are off. Ghost Town did not sell platinum in the USA, it went Gold (based on #’s shipped). Platinum in many countries is not necessarily ubig sales because platinum in some countries is 5000. But it’s good to have popularity and no one is taking that away. Superstars in my opinion are undisputed household names who draw stadium crowds – like Justin. No he was not asked to front for Queen, for one thing, why would he be asked to front for Queen? He doesn’t need that job.

• DC says:

Lambert’s last CD bomb with sales and his label isn’t even promoting it anymore. His single Another Lonely Night came and went. Popularity in Idolsphere does not equate worldwide superstar; not even close. He has always been very over rated.

• imrah says:

Keep laughing if it helps ease the pain of knowing that you want Adam’s success for your special snow flake. He is a worldwide superstar whether some don’t like to admit.

• carmen says:

Ok, then let me ask you, who else do you consider to be worldwide superstars? Let’s stack their record sales and their headlining concert ticket sales up against Adam Lambert and see how much of a “superstar” he is. I’m not saying he is not popular. I said I laughed at the designation “International Superstar.” Because offhand I would think that would be people like Katy Perry, Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber, Adele, Lady Gaga, and Elton John, just to name a few, are superstars. If you think Adam Lambert is on their level of stardom then I think you need to learn more about the music business.

• Marie Hunter says:

That’s OK..Kris Allen Needs More Fans..

• Emma says:

LOL, I honestly can’t believe that Adam stans are still bitter that Kris beat him. It’s been 7 years! LET. IT. GO.

• Mary says:

I have come to the conclusion it will never stop. Some fans will go to their graves saying Adam should of won a stupid reality TV show.

• …or hundreds of other talented musicians. I prefer kris’ voice to Adam’s, but I’m no fan.

• Chez says:

Adam Lambert is the only singer who can give me a rush when I hear him sing. There are thousands of guitar guys like Kris but there is only one Adam Lambert. He has a beautiful tone and his range is staggering! And nobody sings like him. He has a very unique singing style and it’s how he uses his instruments to build up a song and deliver a climax that I’m in awe with. Best showman, best singer in this generation!

• moon says:

You are not the only one. He is an intelligent, personable guy, and I cannot deny his talent. It’s amazing to watch him do things that are out of reach for most singers. But the tone of his voice isn’t agreeable to me. I just can’t help it. Not a Kris fan, either, before I’m accused of that; he is bland to me.

• Kbella says:

Well, it’s not that I can’t stand his voice but I don’t get why so many people think he’s so spectacular. I think he kind of screechy sometimes. I do think he is a beautiful man and seems to be very nice. Maybe I’ll try to find some video of him with Queen, one of my favorite bands.

• Madge says:

15. Mary says:

I am ready for Idol to take a break, but I sure will miss you guys. I am always guarantee a laugh when I watch Reality Check. I don’t care who wins at this point but the one who should be eliminated, but won’t be, is Dalton. I cannot comprehend why everyone finds him entertaining. Oh well. Melinda I still agree with Michael on LaPorche second song.

16. Scout says:

#TeamMelinda. But I love you both. I am gonna miss this show :(

17. He IS magic!!! He IS a unicorn!!! There will never be another Adam Lambert!

18. Thank you for the David Cook moment…still my favorite Idol!

• wjsc says:

David Cook was my fave Idol — until Adam Lambert came along. Still, I can (and sometimes do) listen to either of them all day long. I truly believe they’re The Best of Idol, in pure talent — even if they’re not the most financially successful.

19. JJ says:

My opinion……Idol hasn’t been worth watching since Adam Lambert didn’t win in season 8. If the best isn’t going to come out on top then this show is a sham. The ONLY reason I watched (make that fast forward through 90% of the yawn-worthy performances) this year was because I knew they’d bring Adam back for an encore performance and now that’s happened…I’m simply not interested.

• imrah says:

Adam didn’t need to win, look at where he is today, top earnings idol..10 millions for 2015. He is touring to soldout venues. He is touring internationally to sold out shows. Queen band keeps adding dates with adam nonstop. He is enjoying his life…not struggling like some idol winners are..so it’s all good.

• Mary says:

I agree Adam didn’t need the win he is doing just fine. I’m curious though as to why you think some idol winners are struggling? Is is because they didn’t make millions last year, success is not always measure by money. Many of these winners make a decent living doing what they enjoy. Many also have a family life so the balance is beneficial to them. Yes I am sure many would like more recognition but it is a tough business to be in especially now.

• Jonny Z. says:

Yes, Kris Allen for instance, is doing fine, makes decent money (Grossed $600,000 over his first full year after Idol,) gets some good bookings, especially along with other names doing concerts.

It’s common to see some like Phillip Phillips doing shows along with other name artists so they get better drawing power.

• wjsc says:

I’m actually glad he didn’t win. Adam has gone on to very much be his own person and a fabulously unique artist. I don’t think that could have happened if The Idol Machine were dictating his every move.

20. lisaschef says:

Reality Check makes me happy. I think – no, I know – I’m going to miss Michael, Melinda and Jason more than Idol itself!

21. Diana perez says:

She is amazing can’t wait to buy her album I can listen to her all day she is a natural born singer. She will be the next America idol. Love her.

22. Sheila Long says:

La’Porcha is up there with Aretha Franklin and other greats, she brought me to tears, LOVE her and I am not picking her for her race I am an old white lady. I know she is this best.

23. Steve Z says:

If Scottie B pulled “Clarity” for Tristian two weeks ago because the song “didn’t go anywhere” why would he let Sonika sing it this week?

Just go to the mobile site on your phone… you actually have to swipe left to get to the contestants’ prompt. .. they aren’t front and center on the page (which mirrors the show nowadays).

They are never going to get another true idol on this show because the show stopped building them.

24. I think all of them have their strong points and weak and they are all good singers but, the great one has already left and I have no idea but, maybe this is why it’s the last year.

25. grrr says:

#savetherockerfromthebackground

26. Adele S says:

What happened to the videos? They disappeared. ,please fix.

27. Jess says:

Very good points about La’Porsha needing to make some sort of improvement. Also I hope she does NOT sing another Joshua Ledet song that he nailed and she is going to cry through! I’m all for her winning to get some extra money but I honestly don’t know how or what she will sing to make it after the show is over. As for grades save all the A’s for Adam Lambert ;)

28. Cathy says:

Dalton and McKenzie should be one and two. The others all need to go home. E
    specially LaPorcha. I really don’t want to watch her one more week.

• Has anyone noticed LaPorsha sitting on the couch? Since they have already told her she is going to win, she shows no interest in the other singers. Straight face and barely clays.

• Mary says:

Everyone wonders why a Female cannot win AI. If based on talent alone she or Trent should win. Sadly because this is AI she probably won’t. Dalton is not a good singer whatsoever, he hides behind the prompts. McKenzie has his moments but quite frankly, and I love singer songwriter types, doesn’t have the appeal for me like many others who came before him.

29. REO Opinion says:

As with everything, it’s all about selling soap. La’Porsha is a great singer and entertainer, but who will buy her music. We love to watch her but will the “tweens” buy her CD’s? Dalton has what it take to be that star and “sell soap”. He has the personality, looks and once “in” he will have all the help needed to shoot him to the top. La’Porsha will be fine. She has the talent and someone will grab him. Everyone else will get their chance but will have to work harder to be accepted.

30. Diane Eifert says:

Melinda, Thank you so much for you intelligent critiques. For me, no one on that show is in a League with La Porsha. The rest of the contestants are average at best.I really don’t get the grading system. Either you were good or you were not. I also don’t understand the song choices from the audience. They were mostly old songs.I think that was just stupid.To late. It’s over so I am looking forward to this week..I truly believe that La Porsha will take the whole thing but even if she doesn’t, she has become a star and given American Idol a memorable ending.

31. marie says:

Thank you for the clips of Melinda’s “Nutbush City Limits”! Maybe she wasn’t crazy about performing the song, but she most certainly performed the C**P out of it!
    ——
    Trent in the bottom two? Don’t even joke around about that, even if you don’t have him going home!
    ——
    Not a Voice fan, but I notice there was no discussion of that show this week. Fine with me; Idol has only a very few more weeks to go, so as far as I’m concerned, The Voice can have its turn after Idol has ended.

32. todd talsma says:

Tristan’s dismissal was wrong in so many ways. Her last critiques were based on age, maturity and factors not under her control and ones that had been there all along. She was called ” not ready” and no proper evaluation of her singing performance was given as a factor in her dismissal. It had all the appearances of excuses given to allow the selection of Sonika whose performance was given reviews way above the deserved level.

• Larc says:

If they thought Tristan wasn’t ready, then they should have eliminated her before finals. Nobody who clearly isn’t ready should be advanced even as far as semifinals.

• Mary says:

I don’t think that was true. Tristian does need time to grow, but her performances were only good when she sat behind a piano. No versatility at all. I have a feeling that Scott has plans for her, could be wrong, and she will be fine. If it is true I hope he waits a year or two.

• Timmah says:

If it’s any consolation, Tristan wasn’t going to win anyway. Neither is Sonika for that matter, but she is a more polished performer and it’s a short season with no time for a development project.

33. wjsc says:

Adam Lambert killed American Idol.

Seriously, he’s so amazingly, incredibly, jaw-droppingly talented, no subsequent contestant could possibly measure up to his American Idol performances. The show has felt lackluster and emotionally empty since his season ended.

Sorry — but you just can’t top perfection. And so . . . American Idol has died a slow, post-Lambert death.

RIP American Idol.

Long live Lambert the King! :-)

• karenb says:

“You’re entitled to your wrong opinion.” Lol. There are millions of fans of the other contestants that would disagree with you.

• Lyn says:

Add to that [BTW I agree with you] that they changed the way they did things, Simon left and the judges made some really poor choices on who advanced and who was cut. I can’t imagine what they were thinking with this season’s crop of hopefuls. Dismal choices.

34. “You are entitled to your wrong opinion”

Lol, I love Melinda so much ;)

I hope that Reality Check doesn’t disappear along with Idol, they could still make videos about the Voice or other shows!

35. Heather says:

LaPorsha may be the next coming of Aretha Franklin, but the unfortunate fact is that Aretha Franklin isn’t relevant today. And if LaPorsha wins, she’ll be as irrelevant as Candace Glover was…and Caleb Johnson. I agree she can sing like nobody’s business, but she’s not current, nor will she be current. As much as people don’t like it, Mackenzie could sell records, and lots of them. Dalton could sell records, and lots of them. The others are just singers born after their times. #TeamMackenzie

As for Reality Check, I’m sure going to miss you guys :) And thanks for giving us some Cookie!

• Smokey says:

You have some relevant points there. But I don’t think Dalton or Mackenzie will do anything significant in the biz either, IMO – unless one of them wins and gets a record produced, financed artist tours, promo, and some appearances through the TV show circuits. ……………………………………………………..

otherwise, they soon fade back into the glut of young, made some splash, talent show contestants from Former top 10 Idols, The Voice (in several countries including the UK and Australia, Canada – who use USA markets), former X-Factor also-rans from the UK,, current young talent rising from the Voice season 10 , youtube self-promo artists with some fan base, Independent small Labels that try to push an artist and then quickly drop them if lightening doesn’t strike. ………………………………………………………….

…………..MacKenzie’s former “Voice” run, now added to the exposure here on Idol, gives him a slight advantage in recognition —

36. Shasron says:

La’Porsha sings as bad as she looks. I wouldn’t waste my money on her music, like everyone
    else. She won’t win, good thing this is the last America Idol. I wonder what is living in her hair.

• Maryann says:

“you are entitled to your wrong opinion” plus you are entitled to be the horrible human being that surely you are. Nobody with a good soul can write such awful things about LaPorsa. Too bad for you that she is talented and beloved by so many.

37. Dee Marcucci says:

I think La Portia is the most talented but do not think she will win. Seems to me that lots of young girls vote for the cute guys with guitars and that is probably the way it will go once again…too bad…why Idol lots its viewership…

• Mary says:

I agree and if by some chance she does, I have no faith that Scott would now what to do with her. I fear another Candice moment.

38. ree says:

LaPortia is the idol of a limited audience. Not my kind of music (lots of sceaming) – maybe great on Broadway or ??

39. ree says:

Sonika has the best SINGING voice – – but screaming seems to appeal to the younger set and be a more popular genre. Rappatoni is more show than talent. La Porsha has an icredible voice, but gets carried away with the screaming and endless runs – – or giving a word ninetieen syllables.

40. Brenda says:

I want to see La’Porsha have an amazing moment like Candace Glover did with The Cure’s Love Song. Something totally unexpected and completely reworked. Love her!!

41. Bobby says:

I’m sorry but I just don’t get the hype of La’Porsha. She sings the same crud every week and never shakes it up. Dalton may have had a bad week but he’s by far a better artist than she is. Hell even MacKenzie is better as a singer/songwriter than she is as a singer.

42. Mimi says:

I think LaPorsha should win, MacKenzie 2nd, I think Tristan should have stayed, Sonika not ready. I recognize Trent great vocals I just don’t enjoy listening to him. I love Dalton also but he’s number three. Should have been LaPorsha #1, MacKenzie #2, Dalton#3, Tristan#4. Melinda, you were my absolute favorite to listen to of all the idols, you and David Cook, I really enjoyed listening to you sing! :)

43. JenD says:

I won’t smack you Slezak. But I still want to. And, while I’m here, bashing J Lo for hating on the Slayer- Yes. But can you please stop picking apart her appearance. Unless you are going after Keith’s highlights too.

44. webly3 says:

If LaPorsha doesn’t win, this season means nothing. She is the only one that deserves to win here. The problem is that she might not be the lock to win because a lot of people root for the underdog. And literally anyone against LaPorsha is considered an underdog at this point.

45. Volcfom says:

On Billie Jean:
    David Cook copied Chris Cornell’s cover – and even credited it as such!
    Mackenzie copied Justin Nozuka’s style

Not that I didn’t love bother versions, but people need to stop saying Cook made that song.

46. Alan Parks says:

While I’m not a fan of her music and what she has been singing, La Porsha should win. The only reason Dalton and Mackense are still there is because the teeny bopper girls think they are “cute”. Yes they sing ok, but NO one this year has for me knocked out of the park with a performance. Everything has been slow. I want a feel good up beat type of song from some one.

47. Vicki says:

My Idol choice to win is Trent!!!!

48. Marcia says:

I think Sonika will be in the bottom two and will go home this week. I want Dalton to win!

49. Melinda says:

LaPorsha and Sonnika are in the bottom two and LaPorsha goes home this week. The judges have named her the winner every week (which I’m sure is discouraging for the other contestants). Now that the judges no longer have the save LaPorsha will get sent home to “even the playing field”.

• Jonny Z says:

If La Porsha was in the bottom 2, the Judges would suddenly declare they had another save left. Sonika will get sent home this week and leave Dalton and MacKenzie to battle for 4th place. The show isn’t totally rigged, but it is much manipulated by the Judges and Producers. This has been the most clearly manipulated show in Idol history, even a little worse than when they put all cannon-fodder guys in the top 12, in order to almost assure a girl winner.

50. I think this group is so good they ALL could win!! Kelly Clarkson and others have made it clear tho who they want to win–LaPorsha, I hate when those who are already famous let us know who they like, in other words if they like them they must be the best.