Renewed Cancelled Series 2016

Keep or Cut? Vote on the Fate of Castle, Sleepy Hollow, Other 'Bubble' Shows

No later than mid-May, the networks will have some tough calls to make about which remaining “bubble” series will return for the 2016-17 TV season, and which of them — cue ominous thunderclap — won’t.

As they sweat out those decisions, TVLine welcomes you, the viewer, to review our non-scientific gallery of renew/cancel polls and have your say.

Should Castle and The Mysteries of Laura cop new seasons? Can we trust The X-Files to scare up more, new chills? Are Mom, Dr. Ken and that Undateable gang still showing us the funny? Is Galavant worthy of another encore?

TVLine presents this alphabetical round-up of “bubble” shows (click here for direct access) — from admitted long-shots and legitimate fence-straddlers to slightly surer things — and cordially invite you to cast your legally non-binding vote on each show’s fate!

1. iHeart says:

I thought mysteries of Laura was already renewed

2. Brian says:

No Last Man on Earth which is on the bubble?

3. NM says:

Just wrap both Castle and Nashville up with a final 13 episode season each and I’ll be happy.

4. rowan77 says:

When a large percentage of people say “I don’t care/I don’t watch this show,” isn’t that kind of the same as voting to cut? Especially if the don’t watch/care option comes in a strong first or second place?

• NM says:

Agreed. However, I also feel that putting in “give it a final season” would also be a good idea.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

People who do not watch a show or have an opinion should not be tilting the scale in either direction. When I eventually report the results, it is as a percent of those who had an opinion.

• Mak says:

I guess if this was an official network poll, then a large percentage of “I don’t care/don’t watch this show” would mean/result in ‘cut’.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Yeah it’s pretty much not as bad as a fan saying cut it, but it’s still not really a positive thing

• John NYC says:

I don’t see that: they sell the eyeballs that watch, the ones that don’t are irrelevant.

Consider: one hundred million people clamor for a shows cancellation. Fifty million people faithfully watch it live every week. Whst happens?

5. Reba42 says:

The only shows I voted to keep were Last Man Standing and MOL, 2 ineffectual shows I love, that their respective networks cannot fill with something else, so why lose them?

As much as I love Castle and Elementary, let the cast move on to better things. This year has been rough for both of them.

6. Guy says:

The only show here I feel very passionately about is American Crime. I know the ratings weren’t great, but this is, in my opinion, the BEST drama on network television right now, and certainly leagues better than anything else on ABC. The second season was nothing short of masterful.

7. Saabstory says:

Agree with the comment on American Crime. Absolutely amazing ensemble and so cool that they tackle real issues with such intelligence.

8. Tina says:

kill everything on FOX except of Brooklyn 99, Sleepy Hollow, The X-Files and Empire. Seriously. Horrible shows all around for that network. ABC, please put Castle out of its misery. I don’t watch anything else.

9. Grace says:

Really hope American Crime, Agent Carter, and Hawaii 5-0 get renewed!!! (And yes, my viewing habits are diverse, lol.)

10. Phoenix5634 says:

KEEP: Lucifer, X-Files, Castle and Limitless

• Phoenix5634 says:

Lucifer is the one I want renewed most on this list

• Phoenix5634 says:

X-Files is my 2nd most. Really hope atleast Lucifer and X-Files are renewed. The rest the rest I either don’t watch, or they are part of my “b-line” TV schedule, which I’m more passive about..

11. Matt says:

Just put Castle out of its misery. It had a good run but this last season has been a complete trainwreck.

• I feel the same way!

• Keep Castle, but give it a Final Season to clean things up!

Surprised to see Grimm here as a bubble show. Love that the keys have finally had a play.

• Beckstle says:

That’s what people said last season – and it went from going off the rails into a total trainwreck. The only way to clean this season up would be to pull a total Dallas to wipe out season 8 and then get Marlowe to come back as showrunner. Since TPTB think this season has been “fun” I don’t think anyone is willing to make those kind of changes. If Castle comes back it’s going to be more of the same stuff we’ve had this season: Castle P.I., Hayley and Alexis, that ridiculous G.D.S. thing, and possibly still more of the illogical LokSat As such, I’d rather see Castle put put out of it’s misery and consider the season 7 finale to be the series finale.

12. Keep: Castle IF the entire cast returns. Cut: Castle IF any of the main players do not return.

13. RedReddington says:

So glad to see the majority of people voted to keep the X-Files. We/it definitely deserve a better ending than the cliffhanger. Now FOX just needs to renew!

14. Annie says:

With the X Files, the ratings aren’t the problem. It’s clearly up in the air due to scheduling conflicts of the two leads. Who knows if or when they would be able (or even willing, on Anderson’s part) to give us more episodes.
    That being said, it would be horrible for them to call it quits for good after such a ridiculous and unnecessary cliffhanger. To leave it all like that after so many years would be so unfair. Not only do Mulder and Scully deserve better, but so do the fans faithful.

15. Mak says:

Keep: Lucifer, Dr Ken, TMOL, Telenovela, The Family
    Cut: Nashville, Castle, Undateables,

16. alex says:

How exactly is The X-Files on the bubble? It’s ‘renewal’ is in the hands of Duchovny and Anderson at this point.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Because unlike humdrum polls based on cold, hard, emotionally barren “Nielsen” ratings, this is asking which yet-to-be-renewed series deserve to come back, in the mind of those who watch them. I am not asking you to predict but to feel .

17. Mak says:

Wasn’t Galavant already cancelled..pretty sure I saw it on this site not too many days ago.

18. Alicia says:

I love Agent Carter!!! Hope it comes back next year.

19. leo says:

Would be nice to see a third season for Agent Carter just to wrap it up properly. Castle has seen better days, time to wrap it up now. What’s strange is NCIS had episode 300 and it was as powerful as ever. Had Castle borrowed GG’s writers they might still be going strong.

20. N says:

KEEP Castle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Ron says:

I’m pretty sure I NEED at least one more season of Sleepy Hollow. I’m not gonna be picky: just one more, and 13 episodes is fine. I think we can all agree season 2 was a mess (there were a few episodes that were pretty good–great, even–but on the whole, season 2 was horrible). But I really think season 3 has rebounded. It’s certainly not as good as season 1, and I would like Headless (or another incarnation of Headless, at least) back, but generally, season 3 is leaps and bounds better and more enjoyable than season 2. Better enough, in my opinion, for me to really think it should be given a final wrap-up season. Yeah, sure, ratings aren’t great. But Fox can allow for at least one more season for a Friday show (if they decide to keep it on Friday).

• Beth says:

Season 3 is much better but the lack of promotion and putting it up against Scandal and then moving it to Friday with again, no promo, have killed it. FOX sucks at taking care of this show.

• SayNay says:

Agree with all of this! I really want Sleepy Hollow to come back, but Fox would actually have to make an effort to promote it. Fans had to practically beg on twitter for a promo and they dropped it like a week before the premiere.

• worldtraveler9 says:

The overall ratings (live +3 and live+7) have been respectable, despite the appalling lack of promotion and the change to Friday night. Sleepy Hollow should definitely be renewed.

22. EmmaK says:

Keep Castle if they go back to the regular format of the last 7 seasons, Caskett solving the crimes together. And for Gods sake, get rid of Hayley.

• lame says:

Those 6 million viewers who stopped watching aren’t returning , they found something else to watch.

• Susan Smith says:

I love Castle. The Castle of 1-7.Yet I still hope Castle will return to the show we loved.And I won’t vote either way because I feel sad and nostalgic for the show I and millions loved so much. I hope in respect to the fans and the show itself the Show Runners give us an ending the show deserves.Whenever that ending is.

23. Phoenix5634 says:

I hope that Vinnie Jones gets casted in a show I actually want to watch. Galavant just isn’t for me.

24. jj says:

I haven’t seen the majority of these shows but my keep list:

limitless, the real o’neals (unexpectedly love this one), undateable, and x-files

the muppets improved with the change in showrunner but it might have been too little too late. Wouldn’t be surprised if it becomes a one and done show

25. Beth says:

how is The X-Files, FOX’s highest rated show, considered a bubble show? That should be taken out of this. It’s renewal is not based on ratings here.

• Probably because they have to get the cast and producers to agree to do one more season and get new contracts, since it was made into a six episode arc only. But I wouldn’t worry. I’m sure they’be been drafting the contracts since the day after the premiere :)

26. Amanda says:

Keep Agent Carter!!!!!!!❤️🕶👠🔫💄

27. mike says:

what the word The Shannara Chronicles for season 2

28. opus says:

Two shows are the most important to me for renewal:
    1.) X-Files, which I am convinced will be back when David and Gillian find time.
    2,) Agent Carter, the best show too few people are watching.

29. Tahoe Mike says:

Keep Agent Carter, and Limitless. As for the rest, it’s amazing how much network TV I just don’t watch.

30. Mr. Tran K says:

Castle, Hawaii Five-O and Grimm are keepers and should get a proper final seasons respectively as does Nashville. CSI: Cyber and Second Chance should be goners.

31. Lorena says:

I watched the first episode of Castle, and then with this mad locksat i lost it, i do not watch it anymore, i read the recaps and then the comments, people still dont like it and Hayley is getting some hate, so just put it out of his misery

Galavant, we need more songs and Richard

And Agent Carter, we need it, but its time to less focus in villains and begin to build SHIELD!! The origins and who the hell is Tony’s mom!!!

• Gemini says:

Loved Castle seasons 1-7. I read where the show runners wanted to bring more humor into the mix—wrong decision. It was fun to watch already…now it’s a bit much. Don’t like Hayley or the guy Barrett works with on the side. She found out who killed her mother – now she’s going after what they were doing–drug smuggling I think. Locksat. Don’t like Rick having a private eye business…should have kept with the winning format-Beckett and Castle solving crimes and being a married couple. I’d say keep it if they went back to the original format or at least something in that direction. I’ve lost interest when Kate married then “left” Rick to keep him safe and doing all the clandestine work…

32. Cassandra says:

Always keep Agent Carter. I would cancel everything else on this list if it meant we got another season of Peggy. I’m obsessed with it, and Peggy’s definitely my favorite character in the entirety of the MCU. Give me Peggy kicking ass, Peggy/Daniel 4evah, Peggy forming SHIELD. Just give her back.

X-Files also needs to come back, just because as a 20 year fan I’m still pissed they came back after all this time just to do *that* to us. That is not okay.

33. Luli says:

The cut % in Castle is… sad.

34. Andrea says:

Wow, look at those votes for Agents Carter, and Mulder and Scully!!! BRING ‘EM BACK, LAFIES!!!

35. Annie says:

I had all the episodes of Rosewood saved on my PVR and I finally started watching them last week….and I’m hooked. It took a few episodes for it to find its groove, but the characters have really endeared themselves to me and there’s nothing that looks like this on tv. It’s like one giant amazing advertisement for Miami – and they’re doing it waaaay better than CSI ever did.
    So I’m really hoping it gets renewed.

36. Kristina says:

SOMEBODY SAVE AGENT CARTER!!!!!

37. kmw says:

I would keep Sleepy Hollow for at least one more year, and definitely Mom. Castle should only come back with both leads

• Lysh says:

Ah right, I’ll agree with you on Sleepy Hollow! I feel like they wanted season seasons (or five? I can’t what they said in the pilot) but they could just wrap it up while/if they have the chance.

• Brian says:

I think they said the Bible calls for seven years of Tribulations for the Witnesses, so they joked about seven seasons. I mean, I’d be all for that if it can survive Fridays.

38. John NYC says:

“Should Castle and The Mysteries of Laura cop new seasons?” Yes and I’d add an emphatic nod to Agent Carter to boot!

39. MoshiMoshi says:

Agent Carter & Galavant!!!!! come on ABC!!!!!

40. John NYC says:

Overall since my TiVos overfloweth my two choices we’re”keep” and “don’t watch”: I just don’t get the cut clamor from anyone who doesn’t have a competing project in development. Maybe I’m just not that optimistic that anything replacing a show I don’t bother watching would be DVR-worthy.

41. Lysh says:

Kinda looks bad if the don’t care/don’t watch is like 60%+. I love Galavant, but it mostly wrapped itself up besides Magdelena’s story. I mostly care about X-Files and Agent Carter and possibly give Castle a short season wrap-up.

42. peterwdawson says:

CBS should probably purge Friday Nights, Blue Bloods and Five-0 seem to have gotten lazier. Probably also time to call it for Castle too, as much as that pains me.

43. Louisa Chapman says:

Grimm needs to be renewed!!!!

44. Mike says:

I can’t believe how many adult watch I don’t have an opinion votes There are on the shows.

• Mike says:

Voice texting on the phone it’s wonderful. That was supposed to read I can’t believe how many volts there are that say I don’t watch this show I have no opinion. Sorry for the typo folks

45. Brian says:

Of these, I watch Castle, Sleepy Hollow, Agent Carter, Galavant, X-Files, and the Muppets.

-I LOVE Agent Carter, Sleepy Hollow, and X-Files, so I definitely want them back. For X-Files (how is it a bubble show? Weren’t they getting 90’s-era ratings?), I’d like two more sets of 6-7 episodes to fully close out the series.
    -Galavant is fun, but I’d be ok with it ending where it did. I’d like more, though.
    -I’d keep watching Castle if it came back, but more out of habit than actually enjoying it anymore. This Locsat/fake divorce thing has run it into the ground.
    -I’m done with the Muppets, so it can go.

46. Jkonijn says:

For the love of all things pathetic pls keep Undateable on for me! I’m a single dork and these guys make me feel better about myself! LoVe them !!!! Detroit never looked so good!!

47. SZK says:

Give Castle one more season WITHOUT THESE SHOWRUNNERS to get back to a good place before wrapping it up. I wish I could un-watch half of this season. These guys are like 10 year old boys playing with a bug.

48. Katie says:

I have to shake my head-I voted “I don’t watch” for about 95% of the time. I just could really care less about most of these shows and I’m just not that addicted to the television like I once was when I was younger. I now find myself watching PBS more along with Dateline, 48 Hours, and of course my favorite staple that I’m very relieved was renewed, TO. I gave “Keep it” for Elementary since I started watching again the last two weeks where the episodes were good, Last Man Standing, and the last two I voted for were Blue Bloods and The Mysteries of Laura because from what I’ve seen both have good casts that click well plus my parents like these two. If one or both are cancelled home is going to be a pain in the neck to be in! The only one I said “Cut” to was Castle. Let’s face it, that thing started going downhill after S5. I tried to be as honest as I could!

49. Ethel says:

Does anyone watch TV shows other than those on cable? The majority of answers were “I don’t watch”. If you don’t watch, why even vote?

• Jerri says:

You know it’s ok NOT to watch particular shows on TV, right? Some people have lives outside of watching television shows every day or just aren’t interested in the premise of the show. Had more people watched the shows on the list, they wouldn’t be considered ‘bubble shows’ in the first place. So the “I don’t care/I don’t watch” option just further confirms that.

50. Joey says:

If both Rick and Kate come back along with the rest of the starting cast, even if it was a shortened season that would be a great thing for the millions of fans. Let the Castle group go out in the way Bones is going out. Season 8 is truly bad, I feel that has a lot to do with show runner Hawley. What was the reason he left in the third season? This season needs to leave on a good positive note, and Rob Bowman should take Hawley spot as a show runner for a season 9.

• jahoney1 says:

Hawley “left” Castle originally because of a disagreement with Marlowe and Miller about the direction of the show how they told the story of Castle through Beckett’s emotional arch and point of view. He also wanted to knock Kate Beckett down a few places because he did not like the pedestal she seemed to be on.

• Joey says:

Yes he did, he has knock Kate down, season 8 down and maybe the whole show down. And he has done a fine job of that. The show needs to go back the what made it great, like in seasons 4 thru 7. A spin off of Castle with either Rick or Kate missing would be just a non starter, as we all witnessed in episode 14, just wrong. Haley and Hawley just need to go, and let Rob Bowman run the show, with any hope season 9. As we all know the only two episodes not produced yet are 21 and 22, I hope 15 thru 20 are really good now that the BS separation is over, or is it. Hawley still had time to screw things up. As far as 21 and 22 only time will tell.

• Susan Smith says:

Misogyny in Television is alive and well.I agree they have done Everything they can think of to discredit Kate in season 8.I will Never watch a show Hawley and Winter are attached to again. The Castle/Castle PI/Castle GDC is boring and embarrassing. I could go on but I have made my opinion clear many times on this board.