Exclusive

Castle Sneak Peek: Badass Beckett Proves to Be One Kickass Mentor

In the next episode of ABC’s Castle, Beckett will take a police academy cadet under her wing — after she pins the young woman under her knee, as seen in this exclusive (and awesome) sneak peek.

In the Rob Bowman-directed “Fidelis Ad Mortem” (airing Monday at 10/9c), Kate (played by Stana Katic) returns to her old training ground to investigate a murder, when a recruit officer at the NYPD Academy is killed. In the clip above — and as first reported by TVLine — Beckett crosses paths with a plucky cadet (Californication‘s Ellen Woglom) who surely reminds her of her up-and-coming self.

Press play to see exactly what tough lessons Kate has to offer the trainee.

Elsewhere in the episode, Castle must reckon with a decision that promises to have profound consequences for him and Beckett.

1. Kristine says:

Awesome! Looking forward to see more Stana.

2. Jason says:

Is it wrong that I found that scene kind of hot. There was a delightful amount of sweat and butt patting going on.

3. Kate says:

Woah! That is an awesome sneak peak! I’m really looking forward to this episode, especially after the disaster that was the last one.

• Castlebuzz says:

I am too, particularly the mentoring part of it. We’ve seen bits of that side of Beckett before, with Ryan and Espo in the very first episodes and later with Officer Hastings. We’ve also seen Beckett being mentored, by both her captains, Montgomery and Gates. I’m expecting some nice scenes recalling those moments (if only in my own mind).

4. TNT says:

oh yeaaahh !!

5. CastleFan says:

Ready for Beckett to put some ass kicking into this snorefest PI season. Stana keeps me hanging in there.

• Tica says:

Totally agree!

• Just one thing says:

Having seen this a second (third?) time now, the only thing that bothers me about this sneak peek – besides Beckett’s smugness without context – is the fact that she rolls over in the final takedown and miraculously is back on her feet. As if gravity has no effect on her.
      This is an example of how the show sometimes takes it too far with #BadassBeckett.
      That “you’re a quick study” line would’ve been just as effective, and more realistic, had Beckett said it while lying on or getting up from the mat.
      Beckett is my fave. Always has been, always will be. But I really don’t need her to be written or portrayed as superhuman to know that she is unequivocally a the baddest ass in the Castle universe.

• Castlebuzz says:

JOT, I think the cadet’s attitude gives context to what you call Beckett’s smugness. She’s going at that mannequin (or whatever it’s called in a gym) with real anger. Kate comes in saying she used to work out between classes too. The cadet’s face registers something close to disdain, even dislike, and yet seconds later we know she knows who and what Kate is. That’s not exactly kosher behavior for a cadet to a captain. From that I surmise the cadet is angry with Kate, probably over something that happened in class just moments before. She looks to me like the proverbial best-in-class, top student, teacher fave, who just ran into someone (Kate) who took her down (in her own eyes) a notch, maybe as simply as correcting or challenging her in front of the class. That’s the kind of person Beckett would enjoy mentoring. And Beckett knows she can teach her a thing or two, including on the mats. Hence, the look of ‘smugness,’ which I see as confidence and knowing exactly how this little interaction is going to end.
        As for appearing “superhuman” because Kate gets “miraculously” back on her feet, that’s easily explained. Beckett comes into the ‘fight’ fresh, she’s in charge and is expecting the move, maybe even helps it along as instructors might do so the student can feel how to do it. All that plus the momentum of the roll would enable someone as experienced and agile as Beckett to pop up like that. If her “you’re a quick study” line came while lying down or struggling to get up, the lesson would have been lost on the cadet. And I don’t mean the lesson in the martial arts…I mean the lesson in being humbled just a bit. An overconfident, cocky cadet could lead to an overconfident, careless cop. Not good, as Kate knows all too well.

• Just one thing says:

I agree with you on the likely background of their interaction, and I suspect we will see next week that you hit the nail on the head with the scenes leading up to this one. Odds are, the cadet has a chip on her shoulder.
          It’s a cliche, but the last couple seasons have showed Beckett as inexplicably insecure about her career, so I guess this is a step in the right direction.
          As for the successful takedown, we will have to agree to disagree. This seemed like a way to show that the cadet is a quick study, without bringing Beckett down a peg in the process.
          They save those gemd for her interactions with Castle and everyone else on the show, I suppose.

6. Coco says:

I’m really glad to have an episode more focused on Beckett ☺

7. Coco says:

(That was totally hot by the way)

8. Bianca says:

That´s what we were missing. Beckett rules !!

9. Grey says:

I’m really going to enjoy seeing more Beckett. That was great.

10. Liz says:

Finally some Beckett YAY

11. Just one thing says:

Cool. I hope it’s a good episode. I’d given up on Beckett having a POV this season.

12. Luis says:

She’s probably the killer

13. Annie says:

Interesting sneak peak but I wish we could see more of it. So tired of Bowman and his one-trick pony low lighting.

• Just one thing says:

Hmmm, I didn’t notice low lighting. It’s also unrealistic for everyday plays – like a bedroom or some dark gym with one large window – to be lit like it’s so obviously on a soundstage.
      I get most of the lighting complaints, particularly when Castle and Beckett’s lips come within a yard of each other. But there are other ways to fix that besides shining tons of light on the actors.

• Castlebuzz says:

This kind of lighting is Bowman’s signature. You’re going to see it in any ep of any show he directs. While your personal taste might like things brighter, what he achieves in cinematographic feel with TV camera set-ups and digital filming is highly regarded. His eps are filmed like movies. Unfortunately we’re so used to seeing every little detail on our TV screens, it can be hard to get used to his technique. But if you relax, stop trying to see everything in a frame, and just let your eyes focus on what he does light up, you might enjoy it more. Just a suggestion.

PS: I’m old enough to have grown up with B&W TV and to have seen many B&W films from the 30s and 40s shown on campus when I was in college so Bowman’s technique is more familiar to me that perhaps a younger person. To me it’s incredible the effects he is able to create.

14. Court says:

I always love badass Beckett. Can Beckett be my mentor? I wouldn’t mind learning from her. About time we see more of Stana. Hayley who?

15. Jules says:

Beckett kicking butt and taking names. These episodes are most riveting castle episodes. Go Stana!

16. Saabstory says:

Wow! That was hot…and I’m gay! Love Stana!

17. aaronalbers says:

does Castle’s decision include telling Kate what he found out while in california.

18. blong3302 says:

Great sneak peek! Can’t wait for Monday! Love Stana so much!

19. Ellen says:

Badass Beckett is my least favorite Beckett. It’s always overplayed and overacted. There’s more to a woman being badass than just physical abilities. And taking down the mannequin? Seriously? That was just dumb and actually made me laugh.

• WB says:

They always write her so Mary Sue in these instances. I still remember how she drank vodka from a bottle while sewing up her wound LOL. Dum-dum-dummm… So cliche. Castle is at its best when it’s not trying so hard to be all hardcore, badass or political. Then it’s a dumb trope fest. It used to be witty, easy-going and self-aware even when it went to darker themes (in season 1 or 2) and should have stayed that way. But for years now they seem to switch off their self-awareness as if it’s a necessity for delivering a ‘serious’ entertainment. Melodramatic writing/directing and overacting, like they never saw Breaking Bad or The Wire or what they try to emulate idk. Laughable.

• Just one thing says:

I can see what you guys mean about the writers Mary Sue-ing Beckett sometimes.
      I will say though that I’m pretty sure those mannequins have a crazy heavy base, so that’s probably the only way to move them quickly without it truly looking comical.

• Gern Blanston says:

My only problem with scenes like this involving Beckett, and now it extends to the person that she is taking on in this scene, is that she never has her hair in a pony tail when exercising. I have never seen a woman with long hair not have her hair pulled back when she is working out. It always looks ridiculous to me. I just shake my head, but when my wife sees it she just walks out of the room and refuses to finish the episode because it irritates her so much.

• Coco says:

I think your wife take TV shows a little too seriously. She’s irritated and walk out of a room because a character doesn’t have a ponytail while working out ? Just wow.

• Gern Blanston says:

Not really. She was never a huge fan of the show to begin with and its one of those things that when it occurs it sticks in her mind (she’s a runner with a lot of hair and runs 5-10 miles a day depending on the day so securing her hair so its out of her face is an important daily routine for her). So, she’s no longer paying attention to the story anyway. If it was a show that she liked she would point it out, shake her head, and ignore it but, since she doesn’t care for the show she just goes and finds something else to do while I watch it.

• leo says:

That’s the style of this production company, the hair, the heels, the makeup. Remember when Castle visits Beckett in the hospital after she was shot, she looked far too go for someone who had just had heart surgery. It’s kind of a Charlie’s Angel always look good thing. If you were to compare it to NCIS when Ziva was captured and beaten, it was hard to recognize her, her face was covered with contusions and swelling and you weren’t quite sure who that was till she spoke. Different production company different values.

• Beckstle says:

She has sometimes. Not with Demming, but the season 2 episode when Castle comes over and she was doing yoga she had it braided back. You aren’t wrong though, but it could be an L.A. thing. My first big memory of L.A. is when the plane touched down at LAX and I saw the woman on the runway directing the plane to it’s parking spot. She was in a standard jumpsuit, but this was the rest of it: fully makeup, including foundation, giant clear goggles and huge noise reduction headphones – and long blonde hair blowing back with the wind from the jet. I’m dead serious. I’ll never forget that. I was ready to go back to New York right then and there! :D

• Beckstle says:

You do realize that’s a standard part of police academy training, right? Basically, every police officer you’ve ever met has worked with a mannequin – and usually several. They practice taking them down, dragging them out of cars, shooting them, etc. You may find it funny, but practicing with a mannequin is pretty authentic.

• Castlebuzz says:

I think you’re taking “Badass Beckett” very one-dimensionally. It means a lot more than physically beating up on someone. Take a look at today’s tweets on Stana’s twitter account (even if you’re not on Twitter, you can read them). She asked fans to send her examples (gifs, pix, quotes) of Badass Beckett and they run the full gamut from smacking Bracken in the face with her gun to exchanging vows with Castle. It’s a fun read.

20. annek says:

So wonderful to see SK as Beckett. I got the feeling Hawley forgot she was a member of the cast.
    Wouldnt it be wonderful to see a teases that featured Kate and Rick – like the old days – instead of Beckett centric eps and Castle centric eps. Those days, and that ‘Castle’ are long gone.

21. acurat says:

People have been complaining massively about this show this year, with part-time Stana Katic annoying the heck out of a lot of people. I thought the last episode last week was actually a good one without here. I also prefer the two of them together but seeing the occasional episode not done in that matter does not bother me as much. It will be interesting if (A) there is a renewal and (B) if the two leads are resigned again. My bet is they cannot make it work and it is canceled so I am hoping for an ending written into the end of this season just like last season was done.

• Beckstle says:

The “why” of there being less of Katic is something we’ll never know until long after the show is off the air – if ever. What’s more annoying is the story they’re choosing to tell. If LokSat didn’t exist and we had our regular crew back it would be easier to deal with them saying Beckett was away at a conference or whatever.

• Castlebuzz says:

True about the why. I don’t mind the LokSat/separation story arc as much as you do, but I do mind how they’ve dawdled over it. I feel like we should be at ep 7 or 8 in the season with what we know about it, and here it is ep 15. So for me it’s not so much the story they are choosing to tell that is so annoying and frustrating but how they have chosen to tell it.

• Beckstle says:

There’s too much about the story that makes no sense, and Beckett’s choices around it make the least sense of all. They lost me the minute they had Beckett walk out. I also really hate that they’re now basically making the killing of Beckett’s former colleagues have more weight that Beckett’s mother’s murder and that it’s now all wrapped up in being about Castle. Veritas was the perfect ending to that story and just like Always, these writers have trashed it. This entire season has felt like the writers redoing the past seasons in their own way. They aren’t anywhere near as good, and they don’t seem to realize how much fans loved those major milestones in the story.

• Castlebuzz says:

Agree with much of this, Beckstle, with what amounts to minor differences. I accepted Kate’s leaving Rick at the end of XX as an emotional reaction to what had happened and a last ditch effort to protect him. But I “accepted” it with the expectation that she would come to her senses within an episode or two at the most and they’d be back together tackling LokSat together, perhaps with Rita in addition to Vikram. That’s how I saw it and that’s how I would have written it.
            The LokSat story itself, I agree, was unnecessary. Veritas really was perfect, both as an ending to her mother’s death arc and as an episode. (One of my top five in the series.) As a writer, I certainly would not have chosen to go down that path and I certainly would not have introduced the season with it. If LokSat had to be, I would have preferred the introduction of LokSat to come out of Kate’s new position as captain. As with the separation, I don’t mind the connection of LokSat to Rick’s disappearance — I was hoping for it, in fact — but again that should have grown out of their, emphasize their, investigation of LokSat.
            Like you, I hate this direction of everything being about Rick. If this is the last season or the last one without Stana Katic, it should have emphasized the two of them together. If written well, that storyline could have accommodated the leads’ reduced time filming. Leave it to an ep or two at the end of this season or the beginning of the next one to introduce Castle PI or whatever the h*ll they’re doing. Missed opportunities abound this season. A real shame.

22. Plecodave says:

Looks like a heavy Beckett centric episode. The trouble will be the 30 seconds that the Loksat story arc that is forced in at the end to ruin it.

• Disappointed says:

And they still manage to insinuate Hayley into a scene with Castle in his office. Dead Red was a good episode because she wasn’t in it.

• Castlebuzz says:

Yeah, somehow Beckett-centric eps allow everyone in but Castle-centric ones don’t. Hmmmmm…..

• Just one thing says:

That trend started back at Target/Hunt in Season 5. Not cool.

• Castlebuzz says:

Yep. It’s one of the reasons why that two-parter is my least favorite and the eps themselves in the bottom half of my personal list. Ya gotta wonder why…oh, what am I thinking? It’s cuz the show’s called “Castle.”

23. Waleed says:

The role doesn’t suit her anymore.

• Coco says:

Dude, you are leaving comments in every articles, every videos on Youtube related to Castle saying this show is lame now, you are not watching anymore, that you didn’t know it was still on blablabla … why bother ?

24. Anonymous says:

This clip, once again, glaringly points out just how missed KB/SK has been this year on the show. My guess is I will think that even more after the whole episodes airs.
    I’ve simply had enough of the Rick Castle PI hour. Time KB/SK finally got some adequate screen time. And…Here’s hoping we get back to some semblance of the Castle show I used to love.
    This might be a start. But I am not getting my hopes up too much. AH and TPW are nothing if not consistent in failing to perform as competent show-runners. Guess we’ll see come Monday night.
    Lastly, I’m hoping this gets some pretty decent ratings. Would send a very interesting message to ABC, the showrunners, and the leads involved. Again, we will see on Tuesday when the ratings are released.

25. Dark Defender says:

hubba hubba. Love me some badass Bex.

26. Joey says:

Bowman always knew how to bring out the best in Kate and Rick. A lot better than episode 14 and Hawley. We have not heard to much about episode 16 airing on the 4th of April when Kate finally comes home. Any info would be great.

27. Teri says:

Nothing like BadAss Beckett. She could beat the crap out of Castle!

• Castlebuzz says:

LOL. Castle would run in the opposite direction, shrieking his little girlie scream. But then again she loves him so she’s probably refrain from any physical violence and just bawl him out. Seriously, I’m looking forward to seeing her reaction when (if?) he tells her about what he found out in LA about his disappearance. Perhaps he should wear his Writer vest. :);)

28. Castlebuzz says:

I love the subtlety in Beckett’s approach to this cadet who’s just about crossing the insubordination line with the tone she’s using in talking to an instructor, a captain no less. It makes me wonder what preceded this scene, perhaps an incident in the classroom where Beckett took this kid down from a pedestal she’s used to. Will be interesting to see. Stana played this scene to perfection with nuanced expressions and relaxed body language. Great stuff. The young actress looks good too.

29. JImN says:

A very nice surprise, because usually these things are dull and misleading. But, this one is up there with the best sneak peeks ever done. Certainly the best one done by Castle in years. Stands on its own with a great mixture of dialogue and action.

30. Susan Smith says:

I will definitely watch this episode because of #BadAssBeckett. I don’t care about the new Castle PI.

31. leo says:

I hope you’re not suggesting that the writers have RC losing his balls and half his brains while keeping what he’s discovered about Haley, Loksat and the computer from her. That would trigger another exodus of remaining fans. Assure me the writers aren’t that incredibly senseless.

32. Fran says: