March Badness Tournament

March BADness Pits Alias, Sherlock Villains vs. Game of Thrones' Worst

TV, TV, on the wall… who’s the baddest of them all?

That’s the question at the heart of TVLine’s March BADness Bracket Tournament, a brutal scrum among the most violent, scheming, bitchy, low-down dirty characters ever to grace the small screen.

Love to hate ’em or just plain love ’em, there’s no denying these 64 filthy mcnasties have left an indelible mark on the TV landscape. But treacherous as they are, they’re not about to share their glory.

That’s where you come in. From now through the end of the month, we’ll be putting up two posts per day asking you to winnow down the field to one ultimate villain. So do the dirty deed by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 48 hours), then hitting the comments to justify your picks.

Our latest matchups include Game of Thrones‘ Ramsay Snow/Bolton against Alias‘ Arvin Sloane, and Game of Thrones‘ Joffrey Baratheon versus Sherlock‘s Jim Moriarty.

CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and keep coming back to TVLine over the next two weeks to see how March BADness plays out. Now ready, set, vote!

1. Zeph says:

Okay that’s interesting… I’ve never done one of these with a 100% result on both sets before…. Going presume that means I was first rather than that everyone voting so far all voted the same way.

2. Steven says:

Sloane was a character who always flip flopped from good to evil. You never knew which side he was really on. The same with Sydney’s mom.

3. Jason says:

Ramsay Bolton is hard to beat. That dude is the scum of the earth. Joffrey was still pretty young though. I don’t think he quite reached the depths of depravity he was capable of.

4. Mr. Tran K says:

Ramsay is the creepiest villain I’ve ever seen on GoT.

5. Laura says:

Sloane’s my favorite baddie, but I feel like since Alias ended a decade ago, he doesn’t have a shot due to recency bias.

• Jill says:

I was torn at 1st, because Sloane is a really bad guy, but he had some redeeming qualities. He loved his wide & daughter (really he did care about Sydney, deep down) Ramsay is scum with no regard for anyone but himself.

6. I don’t know how I feel about living in a world where whiny, over-indulged bastards who either didn’t get enough love from his father or too much love from his mother are beating out some truly genius masterminds in villainy. Sure, the GoT guys are psychotic, but there is no real art to their villainous ways and that makes them less fun to watch. You want them dead more than you want to see what they’ll do next. A ‘good’ villain makes you want to watch them stick around to see them cause more trouble. I like a villain that has some soft spots for family because that makes them more realistic so you can sympathize with them, then hate yourself a little when they ultimately turn on everyone because you should have known better, but they sucked you in and tricked you into liking them. Truly villainous.

• Skittles&Bits says:

Well said. I agree completely. I’m shocked that a whiny, sniveling “steal a lolly from a child” bully would even be comparable to twisted character like Moriarty.

7. AnnieM says:

Michael: This whole MarchBADness thing is a lot of fun, but one entry on this chart makes no sense at all: Stefano DiMera against NELLIE OLSEN???? LOL!!! Shouldn’t he be up against Victor Newman, or Helena Cassidine, someone like that?

8. Mak says:

Should have been Ramsey vs Joffrey…

9. kirads09 says:

My take: Moriarty is “badder” in the evil psychological torture sense. He gets inside and messes with your mind. He has the ability to do that. Even with our otherwise indomitable Holmes. And is played to 100% perfection by Andrew Scott. Whereas Joffrey is just plain cruel and mean. Kill a puppy cruel and mean.

10. Jon XVI says:

Sloane was a great antagonist back in the days of Alias. But there’s too much good in him. I don’t even WATCH Game of Thrones and I know what an absolute scum Ramsay is

Sherlock’s Moriarty may be a criminal mastermind, but on the scale of all things cruel and evil he’s a bit of lightweight. Again, even as a non watcher of GoT I’ve heard of Joffery’s douchey-ness and how happy people were when he croaked.

• Mak says:

…people were not happy with how Joffrey died…it was too quick. He deserved to suffer slowly.

• Anna says:

Joffrey’s death scene was simultaneously one of the most and one of the least satisfying scenes on GoT. His death looked hella painful, and I love that tons of people got to witness his demise, but I totally wanted it to last longer.

11. Dark Defender says:

My Dream Top 4:

Russell Eddington (TB)
    Ramsay Snow/Bolton (GoT)
    Nellie Olson (LHOTP)
    Trinity Killer (Dexter)

• Anna says:

Lmao Nellie was such a freaking torturous butthead to the nicest family in the world. Good thing she didn’t live in the 21st century – she likely would have been one of those CEOs dumping chemicals into a town’s water supply.

12. Heather Hildebrand says:

You should pit like timeframe shows together at first, more people know GOT than they do Alias for example.

13. Rainbownite says:

Do not fret, the spoilers of who made the Top 15 this “Voice” season are on the internet.

They include the favorite who sang a song whose title began with “Blue,” someone whose last name begins with “Qu,” a one named wonder, and a contestant with only a first and middle name. And two returnees from last season and a montaged contestant, too.

One contestant whose last name is a synonym for scared and one contestant whose last name is a misspelled city for you.

14. Phoenix5634 says: