Shadowhunters Fan War

Shadowhunters Renewed for Season 2

Freeform is keeping the Mortal Instruments in tune.

The cast of Shadowhunters on Monday (via a live Facebook chat) revealed that the supernatural drama has been picked up for a second season.

Based on Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments book series, Shadowhunters follows a young woman named Clary Fray (Katherine McNamara) who discovers on her 18th birthday that she’s a destined to battle the forces of evil — and fall in love with a fellow Shadowhunter named Jace (Dominic Sherwood).

Are you pumped for Shadowhunters‘ second season? Drop a comment with your reaction(s) below.

1. Amy Hetherman says:

I am so excited for this! I am a HUMONGOUS fan of the books, and yes they stray away from it, but they warned us they were before the show even aired, I am in love with this show despite the differences because the differences are just adding another layer to the world that I have fallen in love with all over again! Here is to a second season and hopefully many more to come because there is so much source material and a fantastic world they are adding to!

• Hoshi says:

I love how honest they are to the characters. It’s like a new experience, I love it. I still cherish the books but I do love this show as well!! Emeraude Toubia is a revelation and Luke is so bad ass!

2. Gina says:

Yes!!!!!!! I knew they were gonna renew it! Awesome can’t wait for season 2 even more! :D

3. Sarah Betar says:

when will season be shown on netflix or amazon fire tv????

4. Drew says:

I’m happy it was renewed! I like this show a lot, with the exception of one actor’s ability to emote or even deliver lines with any level of conviction. The actor has improved slowly over the course of the first season so I’m hoping after a break between seasons I’ll see even more improvement in season 2 …

• Hoshi says:

You’re talking about Alec aren’t you? I kind liked that the only time he seemed to act well was interacting with Magnus. Over all he’s improving. I don’t know who else you’d be referring lol

• Kristy K says:

My guess would be Clary. She seems to be trying to hard to play the part. I saw her on another show recently and she was fine.

• Isobel says:

I’m going for Clary as well, Magnus, Alec and Simon I think are fine, Jace I wish was more sarcastic like he is in the books. Clary I think is the weakest of the actors.

• Drew says:

I forgot about this but yes, I was referring to the actress playing Clary.

• Daisy F. says:

My guess would be all of them. They are all pretty bad, with the exception of Simon. I think Simon is the best actor of the bunch. I feel as though the others rush their lines or do very little emoting at all. Personally, I am a fan of the books and I was excited for the show, but I don’t think I will stick around for another season.

5. Leo says:

How are the ratings by the way, Andy? I always thought this show will bite the dust but now I can watch the episodes in peace knowing it got renewed.

6. Liz says:

Glad to hear it! Wondering if they’re going to try to stick with the approximate one-book-per-season format (meaning Season 2 = City of Ashes, and Season 3 would be the one we’re all waiting for…)

7. Paul says:

Thank god! So happy this got renewed. As a fan of the books I know it’s a lot different, but much better than the movie was! Can’t wait!

8. A says:

yay
    this show is very funny :)

9. Nora says:

YAY!!!!! More MALEK!!!! <3

10. lqza says:

They need to sharpen up the awful acting and spend a little more on scenery as it looks so cheap.

11. John Davis says:

Awesome!

12. I stop watching being sure it was not going to be renewed

13. John NYC says:

Fun surprise.

14. John NYC says:

Fun surprise.

Happy Brooklyn is getting some love.

15. Hipper says:

Still no Baby Daddy news…. they must be wanting to end it after 5 years.

16. Jared says:

As someone who hasn’t read the books and disliked the movie, Shadowhunters has turned into one of my new favorite shows. Not sure why but I’m loving this cast. So happy It’s getting renewed for a second season.

• Icabod says:

I’m in the same boat. I meant to read the books years ago but never started. Now that I love the show so much I watched the movie and have started buying all the books and reading them.

17. SO HAPPY. NOW HOPE WE GET MORE OF STORY FOR ALEC. CAUSE HE`S GREAT.

18. Sara says:

Excellent! I am loving the way it is changing certain things from the book. The last episode especially was amazing, by far the best so far. The Alec/Jace fallout and the wrench thrown into the Alec/Magnus relationship are exciting because they are different than what I was expecting. I’m so excited for this renewal!

19. Ted A says:

The worst acted, written and produced show in the history of TV, Used to love the books. Now I can’t bring myself to finish one because I can’t unsee the terrible acting, horrible dialogue and terrible staging of this show.

20. cheryl kirk says:

Love love love this series. So much better than the film!! Just watched the 1st 11 episode’s in 1 day on Netflix. The only problem is I now have to wait till the 30th March for the next episode. The casting is perfect an so is the making of this series, so true to the books which I have read 4 times. Please make a series for all 6 books. Thank you so much…

21. chloe says:

im pumped for season 2 but the wedding ewwwwwww

22. Allison says:

I know that this article is a bit old, but I am just so frustrated with the show that I have to comment.

I am a huge fan of Cassandra Clare’s books about the “Shadow World”. I was a reader of the Mortal Instruments series long before the show was even conceived, and have also read the Infernal Devices and all novellas related to both series. In fact, I am so taken with the world and characters that Ms. Clare created, that I have a tattoo of a “rune” on my body

As someone that is such a huge fan, I was soooo excited for the show to premiere. Unfortunately, I have been nothing but incredibly disappointed since the first episode.

To begin with, all of the feelings of ancient secrets and magic were sucked out of The Institute when production decided to turn it into a technological command center. Not to mention that there are a ton of random Shadowhunters apparently living there.

Then there are these odd abilities that the Shadowhunters seem to have. What is with the super speed blurs…they aren’t vampires on the CW!! And the runes are rechargeable?? Plus, they make it seem as if it is torture to be marked.

And the chemistry between “Jace” and “Clary”!! It’s TERRIBLE. The only characters that are even remotely like their book counter-parts are Magnus and Simon. And Esmaurde’s Spanish accent is so distracting that I can barely picture her as Izzy…who, by the way, is not meant to dress like a slut nor is she as “Daddy’s Girl” (in fact, her resentment for her father is actually an important part of her storyline). The writers have taken shy,stoic and confused Alec and turned him into a rigid soldier. They even severly messed with the story of the Circle!

I could honestly just go on and on. There are so many things wrong with the show, that I still have the last three episodes unwatched on my DVR. I get angry every single time I watch.

And the worst part of all is that the show, in general, is just terribly written and produced. The visuals look cheesy..like they should be on a Nickelodeon show. The special effects are cheap. The character interaction is contrived and totally missing the the heart that is so essential to Clare’s writing. Plus, there is no…build up. Everything just happens with no time for the watcher to feel invested. Clary’s journey into learning of the Shadow World, her relationship with Jace, her relationship with Simon, Simon becoming a vampire….all of it is a hot mess.

Ed Dector should have taken Cassandra Clare on as a consultant, a la Diana Gabaldon and Outlander or GRRM and Game of Thrones. Those shows do their book counterparts justice because the minds that conceived the original stories are heavily involved.

It is such a shame to see how bad this show has turned out. I wish a network like MTV was in charge of production. I see a show like Shannara Chronicles, and think how beautifully done Shadowhunters could have been. The scenery could have been epic…all mystery and magic and huge old buildings…gorgeous statues and beautiful backdrops. Not the modern, cheese-tastic atmosphere that the show currently has. And the story could have been told almost exactly as in the books…the story certainly was not made better for the changes.

I just hope that Season 2 has a lot of improvements. Otherwise, I pray that the show will be canceled so that the integrity of the novels could be spared any further damage by the awful television representation of the story.

• Kristy K says:

I couldn’t agree more!!! I realize changes were going to to be made, but I didn’t think they were going to be so terrible. What about them naming their weapons? That went out the window too. I agree, Mtv would definitely been the wiser choice.

23. BATV says:

I am glad they are having a second season.
    I am a fan of the books and was a bit wary as to how the show was cast. I think the cast fits their parts very well except for Camile. She has class and dignity in the books, an air of superior attitude. She can be civilized and charming but also ruthless.
    She should portray a classic beauty, blonde green eyed and other worldly . She has a title which she takes seriously . Let’s remember she is an eternal being with a lot of knowledge about life under her belt.
    I don’t see this Camile with any of these qualities except for her ruthlessness . In the show she acts like a spoiled child. No dignity like the Camile in the books
    The cast of Shadowhunters is great except for Camile, and I am sure I am not alone to be thinking this. I tried to give her a chance but …… I am disapointed.

24. Tina Flowers says:

Shadow hunters need to hurry up and come back on need a fix