NCIS Season 14 Spoilers

NCIS: Meet the 'Loud, Disrespectful' New Male Agent Joining Gibbs' Team

NCIS‘ new male recruit is a short-fused rabble-rouser whose ego is as big as his biceps.

Oh, and he’s a dad, too.

As TVLine first reported back in January, just two weeks before Michael Weatherly’s end-of-season exit was announced, the CBS juggernaut is adding two new series regulars in Season 14. We already filled you in on the female FBI agent, Tess, that’s currently being cast. And now we have the details on the new male hire — and he sounds like quite the handful.

To be introduced in time for the Season 13 finale, “Clayton” is an MI-6 intel agent in his late 20s/early 30s who’s described in the official casting breakdown as “loud, opinionated, often disrespectful, sarcastic, short-tempered and chauvinistic.” He’s also “offbeat and fun with a physical confidence and swagger that’s impossible to disregard.”

Producers are seeking an actor who is British of African descent to play the physically fit and street-smart character, who “can move like an athlete and think like a chess player.” Clayton burned his share of bridges in the intelligence community over the years, but he’s unapologetic about the choices he’s made. “He welcomes a few pints at the pub and never denies a pretty lady his company,” reads the casting notice. “Clayton wants the world to believe he doesn’t give a damn, but the truth is he cares more than most.”

Clayton is particularly fond of children, in large part because he has a young son himself (albeit one he never sees). “His dedication to country took precedence over his personal life,” so, yep, he’s single. But he’s totally willing to settle down with the right woman someday.

Showbiz411 first reported the Clayton deets.

Initial thoughts on Mr. Hot Shot? Casting tips? Hit the comments

1. He sounds like a way worse British version of Tony with a kid. I am interested to see who they cast in both new roles, though.

• Wendy says:

My first thought was: looks like Tony and Ziva had a love child after all. The character is basically a mashup of the most dominant traits of both of their characters.

• V says:

Agreed, and it also sounds like he has a bit of Ziva thrown in also (foreign intelligence operative joining NCIS). Reserving final judgment until seeing the new characters, but again, why couldn’t the writers have made Nikki Jardine a regular in the wake of Ziva’s departure, or now Tony’s, instead of reinventing the wheel and creating the characters of Bishop, Tess and Clayton?

2. Sharon says:

Idris available?

3. Assume he’ll be another liaison since he’s not a citizen of the United States so therefor not eligible to be an NCIS agent. I’ll have to wait and see if I like this “disrespectful” addition to the team.

Very curious who else might be leaving to make room for 2 new cast members.

4. Sharon says:

I could easily see Matt Ryan in this role. He has great swagger & cockiness.

5. Katie_Mead says:

Daniel Kaluuya (The Fades, Black Mirror, Babylon). Just can’t get enough of him on the telly box.

6. Mr. Tran K says:

Smash Williams from FNL? Don’t know if he can speak with a British accent.

7. Larc says:

Hope he fits in better with the team than it sounds he might. Otherwise, this casting could turn out to be a shark jumper if it changes the flavor of the stew too much. It’s already been diluted some with the prior replacement of a strong spice by a bland ingredient.

8. Mags says:

This will be interesting to see the responses of the crowd who for years have insisted a foreigner should never, ever be allowed to join the team.
    As for who is leaving, please let it be Bishop.

• Maryann says:

1) There are a few of us ho actually really like Bishop.
      2) Weatherly is the only one leaving. He is just being replaced by two new characters.

• It’s possible that another cast member is leaving but hasn’t been accidentally or purposely revealed.
        I’m in the “like Bishop” column so I hope she’s not leaving.

• I can’t see them working as a 5-Man-Team. That would mean even less screentime for everybody.

• Erin says:

Everyone except Gibbs.

• Chris says:

Oh, get over yourself. You’ve been pissing and moaning about Gibbs incessantly. Slow clap for you–we all get it. You despise Gibbs–despite the fact the show is about Gibbs, his cases, his outlook–and it ALWAYS HAS BEEN. Want some cheese to go with your usual whine?

• Gail Hedlund says:

Yeah, I’m a little sick of the Bishop bashing. IT IS REALLY, REALLY OLD!!! Get over it people!! Cote/Ziva left 2 seasons ago! It’s like your standing over a puddle of spilled milk & crying about it, instead of cleaning up & moving on!! Besides if you think back when Bishop was first brought on…Gibbs “asked” her by having her NCIS application sitting on the desk. So she may have been the actual replacement for Kate, just saying.
        Bishop is changing & growing as an agent. Give her a chance. Ziva wasn’t a perfect fit from the jump, neither was Jimmy. Remember there was Gerald before Jimmy!!

I just hope whoever they get that it’s a good fit. And being that Mark is an executive prod. I’m sure he’ll see to that. I trust his judgement just like the team trusts Gibbs’ judgement. Besides…it’s not that hard to “kill off” a character or “reassign” them! So breathe!! And remember IT IS A TV SHOW!! I love NCIS, but I know it’s just a tv show. I enjoy Tuesday nights because of it. I even was binge watching it yesterday afternoon before the show as I usually do. But I know, it’s a tv show…it has a shelf life. SOO BREATHE!!

• Butch Fralia says:

Young Miss Wickersham is growing as an actress almost every episode. Ziva/Cote left of her own accord so Bishop shouldn’t be held accountable for that. Like Ziva she also has chemistry with the whole cast so can work with any of them.

I’m sure whoever comes in will be like Bishop and have to do a read with everyone on the ensemble before getting the Harmon stamp of approval.

• I am one of those, and I don’t think this character should be on the team any more than Ziva should have been. Honestly, what’s wrong with having a US law enforcement team (which is what NCIS is) made up of US team members? It worked pretty well for the first two seasons of the show3

• Mags says:

And having a foreigner worked great for 8 years, while the show went to number one.

• Jerri says:

Ziva wasn’t he only reason the show went to number one. There are a lot of other characters on the show, for starters. FYI, Ziva left years ago and the show is still number one.

• Travis says:

Nothing wrong with having a liason as part of the team, it does actually happen. the United States has liason agents around the world.

• Pete says:

I’ve never thought that a foreign national was an appropriate member of this US law enforcement team and I still don’t. Be it Ziva or some other foreign national.
      My dislike of the way Ziva was written and portrayed was never enough on it’s own to put me off the show, there was too much I DID like about it. DiNozzo’s absence will mean many things less to like about the show, and most of what they describe about the new character is what I didn’t like about Ziva, so more of what I don’t like.
      I fear that we are getting close to the tipping point for my enjoyment, sadly. I may still watch – I kinda need moving wallpaper these days – or I might find better things to do with my time.

• Jules says:

I’d also be happy to see Bishop leave. I can’t get into her storylines.

9. Maryann says:

This character sounds obnoxious. I just have no interest in watching a brash, loud, chauvinist on a weekly basis.

• Maryann says:

…and how is someone who demeans and is prejudiced against women better than someone who demeans and is prejudiced against people of other races?

• jeremy says:

I don’t want to see a character that gibbs has to train to be a good guy and follow his rules, I just don’t have the patience to go through that, and I didn’t think bishop was leaving.

• antiquedebris says:

A lot of this description sounds like ‘old’ Tony in seasons 1-4; not interested at all. Hate bullies and obnoxious guys. I avoided NCIS during its early seasons because of Tony’s excessive chauvinism, not what I want to see at all! Love the current vibe on the show with the friendship btwn McGee & DiNozzo (anything that gets McGee more screen time is good!), gonna miss that.

• Maryann,
      Don’t forget “disrespectful”. The composite doesn’t make him very appealing. Is Gibbs just going to sit back and let the guy behave like that?

• justafan says:

He sat around and watched the same behavior for eight years, even smiling like a proud daddy more often than not. I can’t imagine it bothering him now.

• CJ says:

I agree. I was happy to see Tony leave. Was hoping the show would improve. As a woman, it amazes me that other women liked a guy that treated other peoples so poorly.

• rachel says:

tony was obnoxious

10. Nichole says:

Ashley Walters would be a good pick, solid actor, 33 but can play a bit younger if needed, recent turn in Cuffs was very good.

11. drhenning says:

Now that Bishop is single, they could be an item??? Age is about right..

12. ndixit says:

I don’t like the sound of either new agent. Tess sounds like a Gibbs copy and this guy sounds super annoying.

13. KayCeeCee says:

If Philip Winchester (Strike Back, the Player) wasn’t already casted in a new show, this may have been a good fit for him.

14. GeekWithFanGirlSkills says:

Samuel Anderson. Please, please, please! So loved him as Danny Pink on Doctor Who and want him on my tv screen again!

15. ChellemaBelle says:

I’d vote for “Age of the Geek Baby!” and go with Aldis Hodge (Leverage’s Hardison). Considering all the Brits who do American accents, think he’d be fine for a British one.

• Zeph says:

He was the first person I thought of as well… But then disregarded since it appears they’re looking for native British actors.

16. This practically sounds like the British male version of Ziva. Casting decisions like this make me shake my head. NCIS are Navy cops. They investigate Navy crimes. It strains credulity to cast these foreign agent characters, and I personally felt the introduction of Ziva is what caused the pivot from straight forward criminal cases to ridiculous stories with political overtones. Let’s hope the show doesn’t go back down that rathole with this new character.

17. Susan says:

I immediately thought of Matthew Goode. He just wrapped Downton Abbey. And then there’s Tom Hardy who was in “This Means War” as Tuck.

18. Rose41 says:

Will not be worth watching without Tony and Ziva

19. Red says:

There goes the neighborhood. Done with NCIS now.

20. Ron Roberts says:

That should kill the show – too bad. I’d prefer a Kathy Bates type woman to come in sit down put her feet up and complain about her bunions. A woman that worked with Gibbs way back when and is waiting to retire. Old school who says things like remember the good old days when you could water board them.

21. Another thought. At least make him a US citizen who was raised in the UK.

• Andrew Hass says:

Maybe it’ll turn out he is a US citizen but one of his parents was British who worked for MI-6 too.Plus him working for MI-6 could be why he stayed away from his son

• Bee says:

I’m pretty sure it would be difficult to join MI-6 if you had dual nationality. You almost always have to relinquish your other nationality (unless, I guess, you were going to spy on your other country!) The British rules are pretty similar to US agencies in that respect.

Anyway, it’s interesting that NCIS is getting a second British character (since they already have Ducky). And a black main character, finally!

22. doh says:

Uhhhh, I don’t think so. We don’t need an amped up version of Tony, we need someone who will complement the team, which Bishop has not done. I like the skills Bishop brought to the team well enough but she is not a field agent, as much as they have “tried” to make her one.

• Mags says:

Bishop has brought no skills to team. She doesn’t use her NSA skills at all for solving cases. When they try to make her a field agent, it’s comical.

• Chris says:

Too bad that’s just your opinion. I’ve grown to like Bishop and enjoy her on the show. Hope that doesn’t make your head “comically” explode…

23. al gene says:

sounds deliciously wonderful and f-ed up at the same time,i can hardly wait,thank you ncis for continuously moving on and keeping things interesting

24. lqza says:

After 10 seasons I had had enough of of loud mouth Tony and won’t be coming back now. He ruined the show.

25. Emma says:

Gotta chuckle at how forgetful some people are.
    “no interest in watching brash, loud, chauvinist” Ha! That was Tony DiNozzo the first two years almost every week.
    “could turn out to be a shark jumper”. That ship sailed in the third season with the inclusion of an Israeli spy who was given unlimited access to a U.S. Government computer system.

I agree that this guy needs to be a U.S. citizen who happened to be raised in Britain. And, he needs to be hot.

26. Andrew Hass says:

So far i think this character could be very interesting

27. Jan says:

My choice would be British actor, Josh Bowman, formerly of “Revenge”.

28. Murica! says:

I knew they would want a black actor. Asian, hispanic or arabic actors aren’t good enough.

29. kevb62 says:

Hey, if they’re looking for a good way to kill the show off, this is a start.

30. AHW says:

I like Aldis Hodge. As for Tess, wasn’t there a strange woman agent who was close to retirement who had a similar name a few years ago? I think she was caught in a shootout with Tony or McGee.

31. I don’t like him already. I can’t stand that type of guy.

32. Baronmw says:

Sounds like younger Brit- version of Mic Brumby from JAG

33. John NYC says:

“His dedication to country…”

And that would NOT have been the United States of America given he works for the Brits.

Oh great another serial betrayer is being hired for no rational reason.

34. MADH says:

ALDES HODGE from LEVERAGE

35. Sandi says:

LOL!!! This character sounds like an all grown up sort of TIVA lovechild! A foreign, minority tough Intelligence community liaison who is brash, and sassy and a bit of a player, like early Tony. Too funny.

36. pt says:

Idris elba would work great great actor

37. Dee Dee Ross says:

ADRIAN LESTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. Dee Dee Ross says:

ADRIAN LESTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. R Anderson says:

I have to put up with loud mouthed, disrespectful black people on a daily basis so I think this may be my last season also!

40. Dee Dee Ross says:

ADRIAN LESTER!!!!

41. Tim says:

The only issue with this character is he has to be an American citizen and never worked for another country’s intelligence service to be employed by the U.S. government but who cares about the truth and facts in Hollywood. We must diversify..

• Kvivik says:

Ummm, Ziva was a Mossad operative and an Israeli citizen when they added her. So the truth and facts went out the window several years ago on this show. You’d do better to stop expecting reality to be part of fictional universes like NCIS.

42. Znachki says:

Noel Clarke (Doctor Who), or Gary Carr (Downton Abbey) could be good. I’m not as up on British actors as I used to be though. I’m missing many, I’m sure.

43. arial2 says:

So, Tony with a British accent. Is there a slightly younger David Tennant or Idris Elba clone out there? I’d like either of those.

44. What about Matt Smith or the british black actor is was on Doctor Who this past season.

45. Well………..if he is going to be an African then the show is going to HELL and I quit watching.

46. MI6 = English = I’m out.

47. Drew says:

Anthony Mackie?

48. Mike says:

Can anyone say Jump the Shark, English black guy with a baby there that he never see. And he is on steriods

49. Shana walker says:

Common would be perfect to replace Dinozzo

50. djdjfj says:

how is anyone still watching this garbage? so disappointed in what happened to a show i used to love

• liame says:

You know what they say, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

• Anonymous says:

If you dislike the show so much, why waste your time reading articles about it? Go read about shows you do like

• mary says:

Wow. There’s definitely a lot of garbage on, but I wouldn’t call NCIS that. Just because you don’t like a show, doesn’t mean everyone else follows.