March Badness Tournament

March BADness: Villains From Arrow, The Flash, Doctor Who, X-Files Face Off

TV, TV, on the wall… who’s the baddest of them all?

That’s the question at the heart of TVLine’s March BADness Bracket Tournament, a brutal scrum among the most violent, scheming, bitchy, low-down dirty characters ever to grace the small screen.

Love to hate ’em or just plain love ’em, there’s no denying these 64 filthy mcnasties have left an indelible mark on the TV landscape. But treacherous as they are, they’re not about to share their glory.

That’s where you come in. From now through the end of the month, we’ll be putting up two posts per day asking you to winnow down the field to one ultimate villain. So do the dirty deed by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 48 hours), then hitting the comments to justify your picks.

Our latest matchups include Arrow‘s Deathstroke vs. The Flash‘s Zoom and Doctor Who‘s The Master vs. The X-Files‘ Cigarette Smoking Man.

CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and keep coming back to TVLine over the next two weeks to see how March BADness plays out. Now ready, set, vote!

1. ABG says:

Zoom vs Deathstroke was unexpectedly hard. Zoom is really creepy, specially in the last few episodes, but Deathstroke is the best villain from the Arrowverse so far.

• Liz985 says:

Was thinking the same thing. Both Season 2 baddies when shows were really hitting their stride. Tough choice.

• Ben says:

I had to go Deathstroke in the end, that definitely felt like Arrow at its best.

• AnnieM says:

It was a tough choice – Zoom is responsible for so many deaths, but with the whole mirakuru thing, i think Deathstroke may be responsible for more, so I chose him.

2. Zoom can run circles around Deathstroke, while the Master can go back in time and kill CSM when he was a baby.

• tvjunkie says:

The Master actually has a good streak, occasional being helpful rather than devious. I’m not sure how anyone can vote for a villain who acts like a good guy as often as The Master has.

3. garlick2 says:

Sorry, but the only people voting for CSM are those that haven’t watched a single Doctor Who episode. The Master is so much more a villain. A crazed sociopath that would kill millions with a flick of a wrist. CSM might be mysterious, but he’s not a sociopath. Too calculating, but still has good intentions.

And agree with ABG, zoom vs Deathstroke was more difficult than I thought.

• Molly says:

Ugh no, I love Doctor Who but it’s not because of the deep characterization. CSM is scary because (at least before the show went off the cliff in quality) he’s a man who genuinely sees what he’s doing as the best thing for his country. People like that are the ones who really do the most damage.

• Actually, I watch The X-Files and Doctor Who, and I still voted for CSM. CSM is a sociopath because he wants power above all. He might think his intentions are good, but all well written villains don’t see themselves as the villains in the story. Don’t get me wrong, I like The Master whenever he/she appears in any form, but I much prefer the villain who hides in the dark pulling the strings to make you think the world is perfectly fine until it isn’t, and by then it’s too late to do anything about it. The Doctor tends to beat The Master even if The Master never truly dies. CSM never truly dies either apparently, and not by being a different being. He has connections and some of the best luck ever. And Mulder & Scully have never really beaten him either, and they likely never will. That’s the true scary thing about CSM, he & the government conspiracies run deep and will probably never go away in The X-Files universe. Whereas The Doctor can achieve a big win against The Master to knock him down for a while. After all, The Doctor has erased many of the things The Master has done so that they never actually happen. Can’t erase all that CSM has done and helped to do. It goes back too far, and there is no time travel in The X-Files universe. Well, there are time loops, but even that goes permanently bad for someone.

• Annie says:

I’ve watched Who since the Baker years and CSM is by far the better villain.

CSM is the type of villain that when you saw William B Davis’s name in the credits for that episode you got excited. He made things exciting, he was always getting in the way of the heroes … and you kinda loved him for it.
      I don’t get excited when the Master is on Who. I don’t really have feelings one way or another towards the character.

4. Mr. Tran K says:

Zoom is creepier than Deathstroke.

• AnnieM says:

I agree with you that he’s creepier, but i think that’s only because we had no idea who he was until the most recent episode.

5. Rob says:

Zoom v Deathstroke is a challenge I wasn’t expecting today. Ultimately, I went with Deathstroke just because he actually killed Moira in front of Oliver and Thea while simultaneously revealing Oliver’s secret to Thea and Thea’s real father. Zoom is super creepy but he has yet to kill anyone close to Barry as far as I can remember.

6. ArrowFan says:

So far, Deathstroke has been a much more layered villain than Zoom.

7. BillyBobJohnson says:

CSM is a piker compared to The Master.

8. Deathstroke vs. Zoom was surprisingly easy. I do enjoy Zoom a lot, but the reveal of who it is left me … eh. Maybe a backstory will make me invested again, but for now, while Zoom is creepy AF and has cool powers, Deathstroke has both as well as a compelling narrative. Deathstroke FTW. Although I also love Damien Darhk this year, so I’d like to see him on one of these polls.

And does The Master include The Mistress? Because if so, they win. Love Missy.

9. I cheated says:

I did the whole Bracket. I choose Lucifer

10. Jon XVI says:

This looks like a fun tournament. So many great villains in the lineup.

11. Couch Mom says:

After looking at the brackets, final matchup will be the Borg Queen vs Hannibal Lector. I’m probably wrong and off base, but that’s just my opinion.

12. Mailer says:

Where is Papa Pope from Scandal???

13. Jason Bodie says:

There is no question who’d win between Zoom and Deathstroke?Zoom everytime superspeed and the willness to use it plus in a fight he goes straight for the kill.

14. Will Trokey says:

Zoom’s level of creepy I think outdoes Deathstroke villainy. The Master has always been my favorite/most hated Doctor Who villain again the absolute disregard to everyone.