The Walking Dead Recap

The Walking Dead Recap: 'I'm Negan'

Though we’d all heard that Jeffrey Dean Morgan wouldn’t be making his debut on The Walking Dead until the end of the season, Negan wound up being introduced in this week’s episode.

Well, sort of.

But, in a way, it was the “sort of” that made the villain seem even scarier than he did before. How so? Read on…

‘YOU SHOULD BE GLAD SHE DOESN’T HAVE A SACK OF GONADS TO TRIP OVER!’ | As “The Same Boat” began, we flashed back to the moment in “Not Tomorrow Yet” when Carol told Maggie to stay put… then winged the Savior who was sneaking up behind her. Before Maggie could finish off the guy, whose name we later learned was Donny, a female Savior, Paula (Alicia Witt, killing it), pointed a gun at Carol’s head. And she had two more Saviors with her: an older woman named Molly — Molls, to Paula (and us) — and a brunette about Maggie’s age. So, yeah, check and mate.

Observing through binoculars as, back at Negan’s HQ, fellow Savior Primo was shot off “his” bike and apprehended by Rick & Co., Paula intervened (as we knew from last week) via walkie-talkie. Though Donny was eager to get Primo back, as he apparently had the skills needed to treat a gunshot wound, Paula wasn’t sold on the deal that Rick offered up. “Two [hostages] for one?” she scoffed. “That’s not much of a trade.”

‘YOU NEED TO TAKE SOME YOGA BREATHS AND CALM YOUR ASS DOWN’ | After Carol and Maggie were moved to and tied up at the Saviors’ safe house (which seemed to take its decorating inspiration from the first Saw movie), Carol snagged a rosary from a felled walker being dragged out of the room and pretended to hyperventilate until Molls removed her gag, “found” the rosary in her pocket and gave it to the “nervous little bird.”

“Are you actually afraid to die?” asked Paula, clearly past the point of being scared of anything. Carol replied that what happened to her didn’t matter so long as Maggie and her baby were OK. (Which seemed like a bad move, didn’t it? Painted a target right across Maggie’s tummy!)

The brunette Savior seemed affected by Maggie’s pregnancy, but neither glacier-cold Paula nor Molls were. Paula laughed that it was “cute,” the idea of making “bite-size snacks for the dead,” and Molls puffed on a cigarette till Carol, backed up by the brunette Savior, had her put it out to spare the kid from secondhand smoke before it was even born. “Y’all are worse than a buncha Evangelical second-graders,” Molls huffed. (I know she was evil and all, but c’mon, Molls was a hoot and a half, right?)

The Walking Dead Recap‘YOU’RE NOT THE GOOD GUYS’ | Later, as Donny’s pain intensified, so did his rage. Why should he be messed up when there was Carol, sitting pretty, totally unharmed? “Shoot her in the arm, too,” he suggested to Paula. When his significant other refused, he smacked her, prompting Maggie and then Carol to intervene (which, as you can imagine, was hard to do with their hands and feet bound). After interrupting Donny’s attack on Carol by coldcocking him, Paula had the brunette Savior take Maggie to another room for questioning. It did not go well. In fact, we found out more about the Savior than the Savior did about Maggie’s camp.

Next door, Paula killed time by engaging Carol in some of the nastiest girl talk in the history of both talking and girls. For instance, when Carol said that her faith had gotten her through the death of her daughter, Paula retorted that the good news of her hostage’s predicament was that “maybe you’ll get to see her again soon.” (And you could just tell that Witt was savoring every minute in Paula’s thick skin.)

‘YOU WILL DIE’ | After Paula turned down Rick’s deal, Carol — whose aptitude for acting has come in increasingly handy — lied to her that they’d killed all the Saviors for fear of retaliation for Daryl taking out the guys who’d tried to rob him, Sasha and Abraham on the road. Those ill-fated Saviors mentioned Negan, Carol added. Who’s Negan? “Sweetie, sweetie,” answered Molls, “we’re all Negan!” (Cult-y much?)

Next, Paula treated Carol to the story of her life as a wife, mom and secretary who, upon the end of the world, had gradually become a remorseless killer. Deducing that Paula was actually “the one who’s afraid to die,” Carol coolly informed her that today would be her last if she didn’t accept Rick’s offer. Was Carol going to kill Paula? the Savior asked. “I hope not,” Carol replied. And man, did she ever mean it.

Unfortunately, no sooner had Paula agreed to trade hostages with Rick than she’d figured out from the lack of static on the radio that his crew was close and probably planning to attack as soon as she and her gang walked out the front door. Since reinforcements were still a ways away, she, Molls and the brunette Savior hastily prepared for an ambush, leaving Carol alone to free herself with the crucifix, then free Maggie as well. Growing ever more reluctant to kill, Carol wanted to leave. Maggie, on the other hand, insisted that they had to finish off the Saviors.

‘JUST RUN’ | Discovering Donny already dead and turning, Maggie used him as a weapon with which she could kill Molls. Paula, upon finding the older woman’s body, realized at last how badly she’d underestimated her hostages and, teary-eyed — hey, she could feel after all! — went after them, guns blazing. Carol tried to let her go, but when a nearby walker that the Saviors were using as a kinda booby trap got free and lunged at Carol, she shot her former captor. Next, the brunette Savior came in and got into it with Maggie, even slashing the mom-to-be’s belly before being shot by Carol. Next — yes, another “next”; Maggie and Carol really got put through it this week! — Paula stood up, injured but alive, and asked what it was that Carol had been so afraid of. Aiming her gun at Paula, Carol answered, “I was afraid of this.” Before she could pull the trigger, though, Paula made her move. Not that it saved her for long. In the ensuing fight, she was impaled on a plank of wood and turned into Walker Chow.

When Paula reinforcements radioed in, Carol — using her best Paula voice — instructed them to head for “the kill floor,” where she and Maggie burned them alive. Finally, Rick & Co. arrived. Upon hearing from Carol that no, she wasn’t all right, Daryl gave her a big hug. (Aww.) “Are you OK?” Glenn asked Maggie. “I can’t anymore,” she replied, dropping the tough-as-nails façade she’d worn the whole dreadful day. Once more, Rick attempted to get intel out of Primo. Where’d he get the bike? Was Negan at the safe house or at HQ during the assault? “Both,” Primo said at last. “I’m Negan, s—head!” In response, Rick immediately shot him in the head as Carol clutched the rosary so tightly that her hand bled.

So, do you think Maggie lost/will lose the baby as a result of her injury? Were you sorry Paula was killed off so quickly? Hit the comments.

1. AngelWasHere says:

That was intense! I hope Carol will be ok. She’s my apocalypse spirit animal.

• Jack says:

Carol will be fine. She is a warrior.

• Walkie says:

They are setting up her demise. No doubt.

• Jack says:

Not sure I agree with this. Gosh, I hope you are wrong.

• Name says:

I think so too. I was really surprised at Carol and Maggie starting an argument in the middle of a mission in an area they were not familiar with. They were not paying attention and the kidnappers spotted them. I’m not sure I would consider this being a well rounded bada** but they saved themselves so I guess they’re “bada**es”

2. Steve says:

I don’t think Maggie actually got hurt. Looked to me that the knife cut her shirt but didn’t contact her skin.

• I'm Negan too says:

This. On top of what Steve said, Maggie certainly didn’t have the look of a woman who may have lost her baby. She had more of a “well that was close” look.

• Andrew Hass says:

However i do wonder if this situation will cause Maggie to take a step back and not put herself in danger so much going forward because she’s pregnant.So this could have been a wake-up call for Maggie in a way.

3. Matt C. says:

This episode just reinforced that Carol is one of the best characters on television today. Her journey over the last 6 seasons (and counting!) has just been so amazing to watch. It’s insane that Melissa McBride hasn’t gotten more recognition.

Maggie is also amazing, of course, but let’s face it: Carol was the MVP of this episode.

• Jack says:

Carol rocks. She is a dominant force in twd. Her ability to live outweighs her fears to die. What a great episode. I also liked it that she had an episode made just for her galvanizing her lead in the show.

• Jake says:

I second all these comments. I love Carol, watch her deal with her inner torment as well has been interesting. Melissa so deserves the recognition, her character has truly evolved from beaten wife to kick ass independent woman.

• Whatevah says:

Actually to be honest I thought Maggie stepped up in this episode. Maggie was the one that told Carol they had to finish it. Carol was ready to book. I love Carol and I’m afraid they are setting her up for some sort of breakdown, which is really going to bum me out because I love how tough she’d become.

• Caity says:

I agree, and I think she’s already mid-breakdown in some ways. She would never have let Paula get the jump on her at the end like she did, but Carol blinked this time. I think it’s finally setting in that children die on her watch–Sophia, Lizzie, Mika, Sam…and this time almost Maggie’s baby. Also, she’s been so intent on portraying this “soft,” cookie-baking character in Alexandria; some of that persona has started to seep in and affect who she is. She’s changing, possibly to her detriment.

4. jp says:

1. How has no one from the walking dead won any major awards and 2. #bada**females… Female empowerment episode

5. Anon says:

Darn. I was hoping for a minute there that this meant Glenn Actuallu had a chance still. But I don’t think he does.

• I'm Negan Too says:

Maybe, maybe not. The show has gone a different direction than the comic on a number of occasions. Judith is still alive and kickin, and she died back at the prison in the comic.

• I suspect Negan won’t kill Glenn, but instead he’ll kill Morgan. It all boils down to whether Lenny James commits himself to another season of the show or not. How much in demand is he?

• Now that would be a big plot twist, especially since there are a couple more episodes in which the writers could focus on Morgan’s “All Lives Matter” philosophy possibly changing towards “My friends’ lives matter more.” He who lives with a pacifist mentality in this environment will eventually go a little batty, in one way or another. Negan will become the new “N” word.

6. JP says:

Though I fear this episode hinted at one of these characters demise… Before any major character goes they have this bad a** episode… Fear the bat Maggie and carol… Wish it was Morgan, and Maggie has soooo much more in the comics, but I think TWD will pull a switch and kill one of these two for the fianle

• Tim says:

Me too—I think it will be Maggie

• Liz985 says:

I don’t know. It’s a small thing, but Lauren Cohan had a very short hair style last week on Talking Dead. Maggie’s hair is quite long at the moment in the series. Unless there’s an hair salon still operating in the Z Apocalypse, I worry for Maggie in the Negan universe.

• AnnieM says:

Well, Lauren Cohan’s new ‘doo is the exact same as comic book Maggie’s has been for quite awhile in the comics, so take from that what you will. ::shrug::

• Lizz says:

Don’t forget that filming ended late last year. So when actors are interviewed about certain episodes it is after the fact. Just a guess.

7. Amber says:

This is an excellent episode especially for Carol. But I have this feeling that Carol is one of the character that will die… & it could be that she was the one who will get killed by Negan. I’m thinking about it since the beginning of this mid-season that Carol is the one, and it’s pretty clear to me now. I’m hoping not though…

• AnnieM says:

I’m more worried for Daryl. Robert Kirkman has said that the one character he never wants to kill on the show is Carol, because he felt it would be a disservice to how far she’s come as a character.

8. Karl says:

Worst episode all season, thing was just mindless filler driving me to madness.

9. KLS says:

Alicia Witt (Paula) was great! If she wasn’t with Negan, she would have been quite an addition to the group. I loved how all the women were strong in this ep, on both sides.

• The Beach says:

Loved her on Justified.

• Liz985 says:

While Alicia Witt was really good in the role, the character itself was pretty irredeemable. While Rick’s original group has always struggled, even in the worst circumstances, about killing a human being (versus putting down a Walker), Paula all but confessed that she murdered her boss in cold blood early on in the crisis because she thought he was weak, and not because she had suffered deprivations or because he put her in any real immediate jeopardy (I mean, we’ll never get his side of the story, right?). I got the impression that Paula had some sort of psychic break when it all went down originally and that’s how she merged with Negan’s sociopathic cohort. The character was helpful, though, in adding depth to Carol’s evolution and to the struggle she now finds herself in.

10. GEORGE INGLE says:

SORRY PAULA WAS KILLED OFF SO QUICKLY. SHE COULD HAVE BEEN AN EXCELLENT ADDITION TO RICK’S GROUP IF THEY WERE ABLE TO “TURN” HER.

11. Phoenix5634 says:

Awesome episode! Maggie should be alright, she barely got cut, I’d be more concerned about the stress she’s going through, she needs to take it easy, a miscarriage would be terrible. Negans group brings to mind the symbolIsm of the Ouroboros, with them all calling themselves a single entity, and how they operate, but we havn’t met the head yet. Paula would have made a great addition to the team, even before Talking Dead brought it up I was saw a lot of Carol in Paula, like she was looking in a mirror almost, subtle differences, but for the most part the same. It’s too bad she became a shesh kabab.

• Jack says:

The only difference is that Carol killed paula. Not the other way around. So similar but totally different. Carol is my favorite character. GO CAROL

12. Phoenix5634 says:

I’m getting the sense that this episode and the last one are meant to make our group seem “worse” than they are, neither is fully good or bad, Rick’s group is weighted more on the good side, and Negan’s weighted more on the bad side, but both groups are just trying to survive, and this conflict was basically started from self defence on both sides. So when the Lucille scene comes along, its some what justified. If they just had the Lucille scene happen without cause every body would just immediately hate Negan.

• DavidJ says:

Well I think what still keeps Rick’s group more on the good side is the fact they only kill when they absolutely have to, or out of self defense. While Negan, the Governor and the rest all seem to take some twisted, sadistic pleasure in tormenting and killing people.

• Liz985 says:

I don’t know. Negan’s group stopping Daryl, Abraham, and Sasha on the highway didn’t seem like a group of people just trying to survive. They seemed pretty sadistic. It was just their misfortune they ran across a seasoned group who had encounters with psychopaths before and had mentally prepared themselves to do what was necessary not to be victims again.

13. Rick says:

I have to say, Alicia Witt as Paula was outstanding. Talk about an intense villain!

• She sure has come a long way from being Cybill Shepherd’s daughter on the mid-90’s sit com, “Cybill.” Which also had the great Christine Baranski as Cybill’s best friend. Great job, Alicia–the second best Paula on TV, after the one on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

14. Carol’s daughter, Sophia, would have looked a lot like Paula had she grown up… and when I was watching the two women go back and forth, with Carol saying she didn’t want to kill her, I kept thinking that was part of what was holding Carol back.

• AnnieM says:

That’s an interesting point. Myself, I thought it was more like Carol worrying that which one of her ‘human’ kills might be the one that would eventually turn her *into* Paula.

15. Phoenix5634 says:

The carrot, egg and coffee bean quote was really good, food for thought, lol.

• AnnieM says:

It was. I kept thinking that though maybe Paula *wanted* to be the coffee bean, she wound up as the egg. CAROL is a coffee bean. :-)

16. Leah says:

I love the fact that the women of this show are all basically strong and independent. It really highlights the idea “mom” in all honesty, since that has become such a huge theme in recent episodes.

• Jack says:

I don’t see the motherly aspect as much as some may. It’s Carol’s and maggies ability to live. I don’t look at the show as a man or woman one weak and one strong. Let’s be clear, Carol maggie, and michonne are quite capable of taking anyone of the other characters out if needed.

17. Alicia Gray says:

I see the torture they are making Carol go through as her end. I feel like she’s going to end up committing suicide over her kills. I thought it was Daryl who would die … I see it as Carol now, which KILLS me.

18. Joey Padron says:

Episode was good, intense, and dark. Melissa and Lauren did great in episode. Maggie kicked ass, glad her baby is okay. Glad Carol got to let her emotions out and sweet Daryl hug her at the end. Crazy the saviors said they’re Negan!

19. wrstlgirl says:

Great episode, curious to see where this is going for Carol. Pretty sure we’ve seen the last of Maggie going on runs w/the group. She sees now that it’s just to risky. I’ll have to disagree w/most every one here. I didn’t like Paula at all in fact I found her to be very annoying. I’m not an Alicia Witt fan so there ya go.

20. klv says:

The brunette Savior’s name was Chelle (possibly Michelle, but they just called her Chelle).

I think the whole group needs some healing after this episode.

21. KLS says:

I hate to say it, but I like Negan’s people! The group leaders are very well done. Independent, smart, ballsy, commanding. First the motorcycle guy that wanted to kill Sasha & Abraham, now Paula. I don’t want to see Rick’s group suffer too many losses, but I like their new enemies. Good TV.

• wrstlgirl says:

I was just talking with a co-worker about this same thing. Rick and company have taken out two of Negan’s groups now so who’s the good guy and who’s the bad guy here. Negan coming after Rick seems justified at this point. Next week it looks like they are back in Alexandria, does Rick think it’s over and they’ve won?!?! Sh*t is gonna hit the fan which is what Rick thought he was avoiding.

22. KLS says:

Haven’t seen too many human deaths lately, but is it assumed now that once people die, they all turn no matter if they were bit or not (so kill their heads)? When did this start happening? I must have missed something.

• wrstlgirl says:

It’s not assumed it’s fact and they’ve know it since Shane died at the end of season two. Rick killed him and he came back and Carl had to shoot him. Then Rick told the group after they were ran off the farm.

• Guest says:

You are right. If you remember back in S1 before the group escaped the CDC, that one guy left in there whispered a secret to Rick, which was that every person is infected.

• wrstlgirl says:

I remember it well :-) and Rick didn’t tell anyone else until he saw it himself w/Shane. I remember Carol, Glenn etc. were pissed he kept it from them. Then came Ricktatorship, LOL!!

• PaisleyPark says:

So wait, I’m confused… If a human gets shot/killed by another human–NOT a zombie–that person will STILL turn into a zombie?!? I thought a person could only turn into a zombie if they were actually bitten by one. I just started watching this show like a month ago, so I’m trying to understand the deal, too. Lol.

• wrstlgirl says:

Everyone is infected so if you die you turn. The only way to effectively kill a human or a zombie is by killing the brain. You really should go back and watch from season one. You’ve missed a lot :-)

• PaisleyPark says:

Ahhh, okay–got it! Wow, I didn’t know it worked like that! That sucks! Lol. But now that you say that, it makes sense because last week when Glenn killed those two guys that were sleeping, he stabbed them in the brain/head. I started watching during the marathon they had on leading up to the mid-season 6 premiere, but they were on like the season 4 or 5 when I tuned in. I know!–I’ve missed so much! I was totally surprised I ended up liking it! It’s SUCH a good show!

• Sweetpea says:

I went to Netflix and binge watched it after seeing the marathon on. You REALLY need to watch from the first episode. It will make much more sense to you (or as much as a zombie apocalypse can). I didn’t think I’d like it but it got me from Rick waking up in that hospital and I was hooked. I just really want to know where the freaking zombie virus came from and how everyone is infected. I’m catching up on Fear the Walking Dead too. I don’t like those characters nearly as much as this group though.

• PaisleyPark says:

Ha! You started watching when the marathon was on, too?! I don’t have Netflix, but at some point, I want to rent the DVDs from the library. I’ve always heard people talk about how good the show is. I was surprised how much I ended up liking it because I have little interest in movies/tv shows having to do with the supernatural, sci-fi, vampires, werewolves, zombies, etc… But this show is about SO much more than zombies and that’s why it’s so good! Seeing these people trying to survive in the world and the relationships between everyone just draws you in. I’m way late to the game, lol, but I’m a fan!

• KLS says:

Point is, they haven’t killed too many humans so it was surprising reminder last night when that guy turned without being bit stood out for me. I know they killed Negan’s people while they were sleeping through the head, but that could have been to just keep them quiet. And they didn’t kill everyone through the brain during their attack.

23. Ra says:

Was primo Negan or is their cult called Negan??

24. jope says:

Probably the worst TWD episode of all 6 seasons. Literally nothing happened. A hostage situation that got sorted out, and nothing else. Seven days to go to give the producers another chance….

• Brigid says:

Not even close to the worst. This is why I watch the show. The characters and how they cope with the way life is now. I don’t watch it for zombie mayhem every week. This episode was well written and incredibly acted. One of the best character based episodes ever!

25. ib says:

They will all die for Rejecting the Almighty God…Ricks blasphmey in the little church, killing people in church. Speaking with contempt to The Lord Jesus Christ. Maggie saying it is no longer God’s house. etc. etc. etc.

26. tamara waddy says:

When did the guy named Donny get bit?

• Name says:

He wasn’t. He got shot by Carol and later died. Everyone has got what it takes to turn into a walker in them i.e the ‘virus’. Doesn’t matter how you die. You turn after you die – unless you die from anything that kills your brain if not then you’ll turn. This was explained when Rick and co were at CDC in S1.

27. i hope she doesnt lose the baby they need somthing good

28. i hope sh dot lose the baby need somthinggood

29. Amanda says:

What the crap is that who died it better no be daryl Carl rick Glenn Maggie that is crap I don’t want the main people do die