ariana-grande-snl-host

Ariana Grande Hosts SNL: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches

Ariana Grande’s got one more problem after hosting Saturday Night Live.

The “Break Free” singer proved so versatile and consistently amusing throughout this week’s telecast, that she’s almost certain to be invited back to Studio 8H — where she’ll face the challenge of fending off a sophomore slump.

But let’s wait ’til Season 42 for that brand of fretting.

Grande was so good this week that I’m eschewing my tradition of choosing the two best and two worst sketches, and instead devoting this space to the four best moments. (Solid work that included Grande’s Jennifer Lawrence and Maria from Sound of Music  didn’t make the cut – but not because the “Focus” diva didn’t nail her parts. The Cold Open featuring both Darrell Hammond’s Donald Trump and Larry David’s Sanders would’ve also made the Top 3 almost any other week, but this episode was well above average, so… sorry, fellas!)

BEST: #FeministSong
Grande and the ladies of SNL set out to write a song about all of womankind, determined that the task was too difficult to complete without offending anyone, then eventually claimed their mission and hashtagged it. When you can rhyme “a song we did not write” with “Malala, Maya Angelou and Madeleine Albright” — without calling a woman old or judging a woman’s hands — you know you’re crushing it.

BEST: Tidal Intern
This isn’t the first time SNL used this setup — an employee at a music-streaming service must avert a system-fail crisis through top-notch karaoke impersonations – but Grande’s takes on Celine Dion, Britney Spears, Shakira and Rihanna were so scathingly accurate that I dare say she gets the edge over even Bruno Mars.

BEST: True Tales From the Sea
Kate McKinnon and Beck Bennett got the most laughs in a grotesque and bizarre sketch about three sailors saved by a trio of mermaids — only McKinnon’s creature (who’s got a thing for Bennett) turned out to be 65% gelatinous blob-fish — a creature that eats and defecates from the same orifice, and absorbs her mate’s gonads. O_o

BEST: “Weekend Update”: The Drunkest Contestant on The Bachelor
Cecily Strong was perfection as a contestant with an appetite for anchor Colin Jost (“I saw a connection with you the first time I saw an opportunity to be on TV,” she cooed) and an even bigger lust for alcohol. Best part? Watching the self-proclaimed “wide-awake nightmare” repeatedly bare her teeth and declare, “I’m not crazy!”

What did you think of this week’s SNL? How would you rate Grande as a host? What was your favorite sketch? Watch video when we embed it on Sunday morning, then sound off in the comments!

1. Cfolliot says:

I respectfully disagree #feministsong, I didn’t hate it, but compared to prerecoreded bits from the rest of the season it was definitely more towards the bottom. Other than that, everything else was spot on. I’m not much of a fan of Ariana Grande, but Tidal Interns was amazing.

2. Et al. says:

Did poor little Frankie Grande find a way to worm himself onto the show?

• N says:

Did u see him?

• JJ says:

Although apparently her exit from the Maria skit is a move of his. Amazon has hired him to co-host a new nightly streaming fashion/shopping show. He’s so narcissistic and obnoxious /annoying, I can’t watch or support anything the 30 something tween girl wannabe touches

3. Guy says:

I tend to love the pre-recorded bits with the SNL ladies (Do it on my Twin Bed is still one of my favorite bits), and Feminist Song was a good idea in theory, but it just didn’t make me laugh at all. Probably one of the weak spots tonight.
    Regardless though, overall a solid episode of SNL, one of the better installments this season. Ariana Grande was pretty darn good. She was great in the nun sketch. Larry David killed it as usual. And the Hillary ad was spot on.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Totally agree about the Twin Bed skit and still #1 in my book. Also enjoy Back Home Ballers with Cameron Diaz and First Got Horny 2 U with Elizabeth Banks. The Dongs All Over the World bit featuring Anna Kendrick was in my opinion cringe worthy.

4. Ian says:

Well, Ariana’s a bona fide comedic actress and not just a singer, so it’s hardly surprising she was an effortless host. She could have gone even farther though if she were willing to part with her make-up and that ponytail. The bulk of her wigs was hella distracting.
    And Feminist Song was awful.

• Steph says:

Could not agree with you more. That swinging ponytail and the ridiculous things she did with her lips is too distracting. This high-pitched, brain dead charachter can only go so far.

5. Dj says:

This was by far the best snl this season. The best host are up for anything no matter what the writers throw at them and Ariana fit that role perfectly. She was pretty close to being the female Justin Timberlake.

6. Mr. Tran K says:

I give it an A and it really bounce back since last week’s awful showing with Jonah (Down)Hill. Don’t know why fans had mixed reviews about the Feminist Song skit but I enjoy it and the women of SNL are always my favorite part about the show. Overall one of the best episodes this season. Can’t wait to see how Peter Dinklage would fare when SNL returns April 2nd.

7. ggny says:

People seem to have forgot Ariana was actually a comedic actress before a pop star.

8. sunshine says:

Perky young thing with big hair wears out fast, can’t watch her anymore. Didn’t tune this in and won’t tune in anything else she’s in. She wore out a long time ago.

9. megs says:

her Jennifer Lawrence impression was so good- I needed to see so much more of it! They took it way easy on her(jlaw)

10. brichb says:

That might be the best cold open since Sarah Palin and it didn’t make the list?

11. hbeachman says:

I thought the episode was better than other recent ones also, partly due to Ariana’s gift for mimicry. I knew about her singing imitations since she did that on Fallon recently but her speaking imitation of JLaw was a surprise.

I felt #FeministSong went nowhere and an opportunity for sharp female-centric satire was missed. The Tidal sketch was good since it was about showcasing Ariana’s ability to imitate other singers. My favorite was the Sound of Music. It could’ve been another of the godawful “last sketch of the night” crapfests but the twist of Ariana as Maria as sassy, bitchy, not-taking-sh*t was a funny surprise.

12. Dude says:

I didn’t think Feminist Song was that great but it was a really good episode and Ariana Grande impressed me. I thought her opening monologue and Sound of Music sketches were the two biggest highlights as well as the Tidal one because her Celine impression is perfection.

13. Rob says:

I said from the minute we met Queen Lace on the bachelor that she was a Cecily Strong impression waiting to happen. Tonight, my dreams came true.

14. Sharon says:

Great episode…best in a long time!

15. Brandy says:

Great episode from top to bottom. Maybe best in years!

16. Carrie says:

I don’t think Grande deserves all the credit for this being an above average episode. It was good because the writing was above average this week, Cecily Strong and Kate McKinnon were awesome, and Colin Jost and Michael Che have found their groove on Weekend Update.

17. Pat says:

The Tidal Intern was well done and Ariana was fantastic! My favorite is the Feminist Song. As a 64 year old woman I really, really appreciate this song. Reminded me of the 70’s when you could hear women roar.

18. Arie says:

I’m not a huge fan of Ariana, but I gotta say that she KILLED it on SNL. She put everything in her performances and I appreciate that she was professional enough to learn her lines. A lot of the other guest hosts read cue cards, which is distracting AF. I hope that this appearance has opened up the public perception of her and that she’s not just this pop star. She’s a really talented girl with good acting chops, and amazing vocals. I hope she becomes the next Justin Timberlake of SNL and have her return often as host and musical guest.

I can’t rave about this episode enough. It was the best this whole season by far. Also, Cicely Strong as the drunk bachelor contestant was priceless!

19. It_Was_Very_Funny says:

Grande is a Grade A comedic actress. The show over all was very strong. Cracked up numerous time at Kate McKinnon in the mermaid skit. I’ve never seen any acting Grande had done so her performance was a pleasant surprise. The Feminist Song was on-point. One of the best shows of the season, if not the best, due to it’s the fact it was solid with no terrible skits at all. Grande’s impersonations are spot on. Comedic timing is very good. I enjoyed the entire show last night, something I haven’t been able to say for a long time. Cheers to the writers for giving the guest host good material to work with. 8.5/10 for me.

20. NotVirgin Mary says:

I cracked up during that Hillary ad. A really great season, so far. #FeministSong was definitely one of the weaker skits of the season, though.

21. PatriciaLee says:

The political comedy by the regular SNL staff at the beginning was brilliant. The husband says, “That was hilarious!” I was amazed how each politician’s personality and vocal cadence was captured. This SNL crew can be proud of what they are building.

22. Mike says:

Nobody commenting on Bobby’s Riblet on weekend update??

Laughed my ass off!!

• Sarah says:

When he was talking to himself on the street from the studio and they both dropped the mic at the same time, I completely lost it. Riblet is an awesome character.

23. danin says:

All the videos are marked private..and shoot, I didn’t watch SNL at all cause I don’t like Ariana Grande& soooo often SNL stinks.