Shonda Rhimes, #TGIT Stars Declare, 'I'm With Hillary' In Unprecedented Campaign Ad — Watch Video

That pit stop presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton made to the Scandal set last week is starting to make a lot more sense.

On Thursday night, just as Grey’s Anatomy was airing on the East Coast, Shonda Rhimes and her TGIT leading ladies Ellen Pompeo, Kerry Washington and Viola Davis pledged their support for the Democratic frontrunner via an unprecedented campaign ad.

Immediately following the spot’s debut on YouTube, Clinton took to Twitter to thank the quartet — as well as the ad’s director Tony Goldwyn (aka Scandal‘s very own POTUS) — for the high profile endorsement.

Press PLAY above and then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Tom says:

and cue hate from Bernie supporters in 3…2…1

• peterwdawson says:

Don’t forget the Reps as well.

• Kelly says:

Or a cue from smart individuals who don’t believe anyone running for president is actually worthy or up for the job…. Especially a liar like Hilary.

• Guy says:

What Kelly said.

• Temperance says:

Hillary doesn’t lie any more than most human beings as far as I can ascertain (which is pretty much better than most). If you think Rubio, Cruz, or Trump lie less, you need a deprogrammer.

• Lucifer says:

And if you think that claiming it’s alright she and her husband have been caught lying and even breaking the law for decades because the other candidates have also been caught lying, then you must be as delusional as Hillary “sniper fire” Clinton.

• Mary says:

@Lucifer – funny I don’t remember any of them being arrested for breaking the law. Must of missed that.

• Lucifer says:

@Mary, it’s funny how most of the Clinton supporters also strongly believe our legal system is broken and not all guilty parties end up facing a justified sentence, but have no issue with that same system completely letting all proven or unproven allegations against them be pushed under the rug.

• peterwdawson says:

You gotta question the smarts though because a lot of these people know the candidate selection is pretty bad, and there then dumb/cynical enough to not bother doing anything about it.

• Bryan says:

newsflash: everybody lies

• kath says:

So you don’t want anyone being President? Or just not anyone who actually wants the job?
          In the real world, the US needs a leader. You could have just stayed part of the British Empire if you prefer the leader to be appointed.

• ec says:

Bernie supporter here – and I appreciate their activism and their support for the politician of their choosing! Not wanting Hillary to get the nomination for legitimate reasons is not the equivalent of hate.

• Gabbie Drice says:

No one cares about them. They clearly aren’t voting for -1.52 Million votes Bernie. Just gooning online because they hate Hillary. If they actually LOVED Bernie, they’d be voting for him.

• Annie says:

I’m Bernie supporter and I think this is great! Good for them for speaking out.

2. Lauren says:

I’m team Hillary so my first reaction was squeal! But after chilling back, I don’t really like this. What if they didn’t like my guy? It would be a huge eye roll at best and leave a bad taste in my mouth at worst. I kind of wish my favorite network stars would stay neutral. You can be pro America, pro Voting and pro Democratic process without choosing sides and I wish they had stuck with that. I don’t even want to go to the YouTube page and read the nasty comments they are probably getting.

• ChillBug says:

That was Roy Rogers approach…don’t get involved in politics.

• Lauren says:

Oh and in a so anti-feminist note: Ellen’s hair and makeup look so much better in this ad! Why are they making her so dumpy on the show all of a sudden? Did she tick off the styling department?

• taran63 says:

Ads like this always make me feel less like voting for whoever they recommend. I don’t need some actor telling me who to vote for.
      And for this ad, I wonder if all the actors involved support Hillary, or if Shonda told them to do it or she kills off their character.

• Mary says:

It doesn’t bother me that they are expressing their choice. After all they are part of America and are going to vote for someone. I take away the celebrity status and look at it like they are behind Hillary, just like other celebs are behind other candidates. That is what is wrong with America nobody has tolerance anymore for a difference of opinion or how to express their view without nasty remarks. Everyone thinks they know it all.

3. NM says:

I wonder what Shonda offered them (money, more screen time, etc) to get their contribution to this clip.

4. ChillBug says:

LOL. If Hillary had anything in common with these women or their characters, she wouldn’t still be with Bill. #NotaTrueFeminist

• J says:

That doesn’t even make sense. Olivia was having an affair with Fitz, Meredith was in a situation with Derek and Annalise is as shady as they come — including cheating on her husband, knowing her husband was an a-hole. What happens in Hillary’s personal life, with Bill, is not really anyones business but their own.

• Mak says:

Ever heard of something called forgiveness!

• peterwdawson says:

Forgiveness and politics never seem to mingle. In politics you have to be consistent forever or else comments from five, ten, fifteen years ago or more, as well as actions in general, are pulled up and scrutinized. The fact that we’re forgotten that to err is human is kind of a problem.

• GCH says:

Clearly, you do not understand feminism or what a true feminist is. Pick one and read their books: Betty Friedan, Gloria Steinem, Mary Daly, Catherine MacKinnon, or even Simone de Beauvoir. Actually, learn a little something about what you claim to know. #notanexpertbutclaimstobeone #myPhDisworthsomething

5. John Davis says:

I’M WITH HER!

6. J. Musky says:

All smart beautiul worldly young woman supporting an incredible Candidate who has paid her dues and knows how to be President of the United States. She will be one of our most Influential Presidents in history. She is the real deal.

7. Nicole says:

I have just lost respect for every single one of these ladies….

• ChillBug says:

I’m mostly stuck on the whole Tony directed it angle! Directed what? The cameras pointing at them?

• Simon Jester says:

@Nicole – And they speak so highly of you.

• Nicole says:

Yeah, sorry I am not a brain washed individual. She has gone on recorded and lied many times. The FBI is still
        Investigating her.

I am allowed to form an opinion.

• Ron says:

I think you might be a brainwashed individual, because:
          1) Yes, she’s lied. But every candidate has/does/will continue to lie. It’s (sadly) the name of the game of politics. Also, lying is human nature. We all do it. Note: this is not me saying it’s okay that she (and all the other candidates) have lied; it’s simply me acknowledging the reality of not just politics, but the reality of life.
          2) The FBI isn’t investigating her. (They might narrow their investigation to her in the near future, but it’s not happening presently.) They’re investigating the set-up and use of an email server. The reason she hasn’t been indicted/charged is because there’s no actual evidence (at least, not yet) that she actually broke the law–knowingly or not. They haven’t said she broke the law, and she quite possibly didn’t actually break the law at all; they’re simply looking at the email usage and emails sent/received to *see* if laws were broken. There’s a difference.
          3) You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But I don’t understand losing respect for actors you don’t even know because they don’t support your candidate. I think Donald Trump is the most disgusting, egregious thing to walk onto the political scene in a really long time. And yes, I lose respect for people I know who support him, because their opinions and beliefs aligning so closely with a bombastic, egomaniacal, insane extremist directly affect me. But I certainly don’t care who people I don’t know (and never will know) support for president.

• Jo says:

Wow Ron, spoken like a true lawyer. Sorry, but no matter how you dance around it, Hillary did some things she shouldn’t have and there is a very real chance she will be held accountable for that.

• Mary says:

Yes you are but so are they and you lost respect for them because it is different then yours. This is still America and until she has been arrested she is innocent until proving guilty. Claims buy Fox News and internet posters doesn’t make it true.

8. the girl says:

I would like to point out that Hillary Clinton is far more like Mellie Grant than she is like Olivia Pope. But the Annalise Keating reference stands, because she definitely is getting away with murder.

9. Josh Emerson says:

I’m still with Bernie. Glad he won my state this week!

10. Dick Whitman says:

rme

11. Jo J says:

There is a video on YouTube of Hillary joking and cackling about helping a child molester go free when she was a lawyer even though she knew he was guilty. She’s reprehensible to me, but then so is Olivia Pope, so I guess it makes sense that the person who plays her would endorse Clinton.

12. David4 says:

How much did she have to pay for this?!?!

Does Mrs. Clinton have a platform besides ‘I’m a woman, vote for me’?

13. P says:

Wow! Love it! I am excited to vote for Hillary Clinton in a few days in Florida.

14. Peter Allan Ker says:

TVLine, I really think you should lay off politics on this site unless it’s part of a TV Series that you cover. I’m not happy how this site has become too politicised over the past years or so.

Please stick to TV Series reporting not Politics.

• Simon Jester says:

Sorry, but this *is* TV news. If you don’t want to read any stories in which entertainment and politics overlap, try not clicking on the headline next time.

• Drew says:

Seconded! This isn’t TV news. It’s a thinly veiled excuse to post stories like this on sites like this. These people are actresses and a soap opera writer. Why should their political opinions matter more than those of us who don’t get to live in the shiny little bubble of Hollywood?

• Angela says:

I don’t understand where you’re getting the idea that this article or video is insinuating that these celebrities’ opinions matter more than anyone else’s. They’re citizens expressing their personal support for a particular candidate…just like every single average Joe who’s posted their personal support for a candidate in these comment sections. Our opinions aren’t being drowned out just because this video exists. There’s nothing wrong with them making a video endorsing a particular politician. And I would say the exact same thing if a bunch of conservative celebrities got together to make a similar video.
        I also don’t get the people complaining here about politics and entertainment mixing. Are these people new? Those two worlds have been bedfellows for decades. Hell, our entire current political race is a three-ring circus at this point, in no small part thanks to all the crazy stuff going on with Trump. So if a celebrity can RUN for president, then a few celebrities banding together to make a video supporting a candidate really shouldn’t be all that shocking to people.

15. BarryFlash says:

Who listens to celebrities when it comes to whom to vote for? Think for yourself and vote for the candidate of your choosing. Why is this news? Are there going to be articles every time ANY candidate gets an endorsement from now on?

16. Mimi says:

I’m with Hillary. As a strong, intelligent Southern lesbian who stands strong in my faith as a Christian, I am very proud to also stand with Hillary and support her as a fierce, smart, independent woman who consistently stares adversity squarely in the face and continues to fight for woman like me. Leadership is not about getting knocked down; it’s about how you get back up! I want Hillary on my side, fighting for my rights, for equality! I am with Hillary not only to crack the ceiling but to break it wide open so that my daughter, a millennial, and my granddaughters, our future, have a road without barriers, without limits! Thank you, Hillary, for being a role model of perseverance and fortitude, and of courage, dignity, and resiliency. We are all human and by definition are flawed. You consistently demonstrate that as a fellow human when in the crucible of fire, strength is born. I’m with Hillary!

17. Jo Lindsey says:

I loved the Shonda Rhimes commercial for Hillary Clinton. I was already voting for her and I hope this commercial encourages others to vote for her as well.

18. Diz says:

I’m not with Hillary and I will no longer watch any of these shows. I just dumped them off the DVR.

19. emmyfearn says:

Best ad ever. Love it!

20. Ms Thing says:

#ImWithHer

21. James R. says:

The pessimist in me has a feeling that like most women in America they’re voting for Clinton solely because she’s a female. However, the optimist in me wants to believe that they’re voting for who they believe will be the best president despite race, religion, and sex, but let’s be honest about which one is most likely. I mean this is still American politics, right?

• Phoenix5634 says:

Its the first one you said, but they rationalize it as the second one.

• Mary says:

That is kind of a chauvinist remark. In fact it is demeaning to most Women. I guess you believe the theory that Black people voted for Obama only because he was black, not that they honestly thought he would do the job.

• Lucifer says:

Yeah, they did. Same for most white people who voted for Obama. It was literally the angle they were running with because Obama had NO experience and was not qualified for the job at all. He has proven this every day since being elected. I don’t support Hillary and think she’s trash, but she at least has some experience. However, it doesn’t mean she and her campaign are also not pushing the “first female president” angle, because they are. Madeline Albright even got up next to Hillary and said the famous “special place in hell for women who don’t support other women” line in regards to women not supporting Hillary solely because she’s a woman. Clinton cheered and clapped to that statement.

• Mary says:

I disagree if you look at the Overall record of Obama he isn’t the worst. You might not agree with his policy but then again name one President that everyone agreed on. Because one Women made a stupid statement, one in which I did not agree with, does not mean that every Women would vote for someone because of genre. Believe it or not the majority do have minds of their own and makes their own decision. This is America and you are free to pull the lever anyway you like, just like the rest of us.

• Lucifer says:

Never said Obama was the worst, but it’s very clear he was not ready and has repeated the same mistakes. Just as Trudeau is not prepared for Canada and most are expecting them to be the next Greece. I used Albright as an example, but everyone in Hillary’s camp, including herself, has been pushing the “first female president” narrative. Not to mention many influential and popular news sites publishing articles specifically saying it’s alright to vote for Hillary because she’s a woman. You yourself might not be voting for Hillary because of her sex, but plenty of people are.

• Katherine215 says:

How misogynistic of you. Because of course women are too stupid to vote based on the facts and just check the box because LADY! Oh wait, if that were ACTUALLY true, Sarah Palin would be VP.

22. Trish says:

#I’mwithher

Because she is the best qualified for the job. She has the strongest resume and she is handling being surrounded by so many unrealistic, unqualified candidates with so much more grace and patience than I ever would or could.

The characters these actors portray are not perfect but they are bad ass and great at getting the job done.

She has always had my vote.

23. Angela says:

As a woman, I find this ad especially offensive. Team Shonda and Team Hillary are shamelessly pandering to what they must be hoping is zero intelligence on my part—not to mention the assumption that I fully admire, adore, idolize and look to guidance from people who play FICTIONAL characters and read lines that are written for them. (It’s also disgustingly manipulative of those who DO look up to/live through these characters).

Come on, ladies. In the real world, Hillary Clinton is in it for HERSELF and fights for whatever corporations are PAYING her to do so.

FACT: Clinton has raised millions in corporate campaign contributions, particularly from her buddies on Wall Street. Therefore, she will always put corporate interests first; not the interests of the people. Hillary can whine all she wants about how she told Wall Street to “cut it out,” (and align herself with Obama because “he also took money”), but words are one thing; action is another. And I don’t see very many of the people behind America’s financial melt-down behind bars—despite what she OR Obama have said about that.

And contrary to what our deluded Democratic party believes and or wants you to believe, Hillary cannot win against the Republicans. Just WAIT ’til they really drag out all the SCANDAL on she and hubby. Sure, there’s the little FBI thing hanging around them (and Bill’s latest: illegal campaigning and poll blocking), but that’s just the tip of an iceberg built from layers upon layers of corruption. Do a little search on Youtube for “Hillary Clinton, A Career Criminal” – good example of a never-ending list the Republicans are going to have a field day with. Because in the real world, she and Bill may be the experts on HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER … but they can’t get away with it forever.

Then, of course, there’s the list of rape accusations against Billy (and the bullying of his accusers by Hillary). I’m not talking about Ms. Flowers, Ms. Jones or Ms. Lewinsky. There is a list of actual rape/assault/harassment allegations against him—and the Missus has played a real-life role in covering it up. Keep in mind: another “beloved” Bill fell very far from grace quite recently following ONE simple joke by some obscure comedian. So, again, just THINK of what the GOP can do with all of that. SERIOUSLY? SERIOUSLY.

But there’s even more as to why Hillary cannot and will not defeat a Republican as our nominee: She does not bring out the younger voters, and she does not motivate new voters. Plus, Independents and Moderates aren’t going to vote for her.

All that said, I’m going to vote for a candidate who isn’t bought and paid for by corporate interests; a candidate who is beholden to the people; a candidate who actually CAN make a difference in the REAL world. That candidate is Bernie Sanders. Bernie will champion free education and free healthcare for ALL; proper care for veterans; civil rights … plus so much more. And, yes, he CAN make it happen, because REAL people will stand up with him – and they are turning out to vote like never before. –Which means more seats in Congress … which means unlocking Congress. Now THAT’s McDreamy.

OH, and just to be clear: I am not a troll. But I AM a woman who is going to vote based on issues, a candidate’s authenticity and integrity; not just for sisterhood. And it’s not like I didn’t vote for a Clinton in the past – but – things aren’t working in our country, anymore, with establishment politics. It’s simply time for a new approach.

• Mary says:

That is what is great about America, even if we get it wrong, you are free to cast your vote as you see fit. I hope people do keep an open mind when casting their vote, because the majority of people have no clue on how to run a Government. It is always easy to sit home and complain about everything but it is not an easy job and neither party has been perfect about it. I would agree that certain things are not working but I will be voting for a candidate that will not be pulling us backwards instead of forward. Lets be honest here, the change really needs to be in CONGRESS first. TERM.

• Angela says:

Bernie can get more voters to turn out for him, along with new voters, Independents and Moderates. He also stomps out apathy, getting people fired up to learn about, join and become involved with the political process – all of which will win him the election AND unlock Congress, paving the way to achieving plenty.

With Hillary as the nominee, apathy will reign, less voters turn out, and she will inevitably face the same locked Congress as Obama should she somehow win against a Republican. But she WON’T win against a Republican, because Independents and Moderates will not vote for her — plus, she has too much scandal and baggage hanging around. Fact: Bernie has gone verrrry easy on her. I can only imagine what they’ll drag out.

24. Fernanda says:

I knew it… Mellie Grant for President… I’m with Mellie

25. kirads09 says:

Never been a fan of Shonda, those shows, stars, or Hillary. This just exemplifies why. Hollywood elite do not dictate or influence in any way who I think is best qualified to lead this country or who I vote for. So I disagree with this sort of campaigning for a certain candidate in this way. Is this ABC’s political stance since they aired it? Will they give any of the other candidates equal time? This isn’t a political forum – about TV and entertainment – but since this article was posted, there it is.

26. Jennifer says:

And yet another reason to be happy that I stoped watching Grey’s and Scandal.

27. Us says:

I am sooo happy to see this ad and to know that you as stars feel the same way I do.

I’m even more proud to know that I have supported a group of people who has and will obviously supported us.

Thank you because ” I’m for Hillary”.

28. sharyl says:

Hillary does behave like Scandal’s characters, but it’s not a compliment….

29. We’re all “flawed.” But Hillary Clinton is “flawed” in a way which caused her to get us into disastrous wars in Iraq and Libya.

If you don’t want more disastrous wars, then please consider voting for Bernie Sanders in your state’s primary-or-caucus.

• Mary says:

Bernie has some good points but how is he going to pay for all the freebies he wants to give away.

• Joey says:

Regurgitated talking point. Sanders has mentioned time and time again how he intends to pay for everything he’s proposing.

30. Chris says:

This is dangerously close to a TV network endorsing a candidate. ABC Should tread lightly on this one.

31. Leia says:

Who cares. they are just a bunched of entitled rich people who know that a vote for Hill is a vote for status quo meaning it won’t touch them one bit.

32. Ella Jasper says:

Why should we care who Shonda’s women are going to vote for? Do they know more than the general public? Seriously, this is ridiculous. But if you all are old enough and remember, Bill and Hillary love having Hollywood to the White House.

33. EM says:

Have never understood why celebrities, even if we are fans, think we care about their politics or social platforms or are influenced by them.

• Isobel says:

Maybe you’re personally not influenced, but they have a right to publicly state who they’re voting for, and said politicians feel some people are influenced by them

• Angela says:

If non-famous people can spout their political views and support social causes all over the place, why can’t celebrities? I don’t get this attitude people have that celebrities should stay quiet on political issues. If someone doesn’t want to hear what they have to say, then just tune them out when they start talking somehow (change the channel, bypass a political video, don’t read something where they share their political views, etc.). There. Problem solved.
      (And of course, if celebrities DON’T get involved with an issue, people gripe because “all they care about is their money and fame, they’re not using that stuff for good, they’re not being a positive influence”. They can’t win either way.)

34. Holly says:

I’m also with HRC. All the way! Love the ad and bravo for the TGIT stars to do it.

35. BERNette says:

I feel this ad speaks volumes to extremely successful, wealthy women. I feel it is very hard for the poor or for those of us who work long hard hours & still struggle financially to relate. I relate more to the wealthy celebs like Leonardo DiCaprio who want to pay their fair share in taxes to level the playing field.

• Volney says:

any woman who vote for pu–y grabbing tax dodging son of a bi–h have no respect for themselves, they are just waiting in line for him to have a grab.

36. Anna says:

Everyone who wants to vote . In Spain they have ruled men always and Spain is just as bad and now that I do not get deacuedo to govern.

37. rubytu says:

For those of us who aren’t knee-deep in politics, Hillary has rounded up so impressive establishment endorsements. Keep everything the same, is really their rallying cry. If you are sick and tired of the status quo, which is the corporations running the country, then Bernie is your guy! Who is pro – Bernie? Cornell West! Spike Lee! Susan Sarandon! Killer Mike! Noam Chomsky! Angela Davis! Michael Moore! Neil Young! Ben & Jerry! Steve Wosniak!

38. EM says:

Ellen looks like she is in a hostage video. ABC, TV Line and other media outlets need to report the news, not slant it to their agenda. This looks like a free political commercial for clinton. Do your research and vote your conscience.

39. dmr6268 says:

Mike drop.
    I get goose bumps every time I watch this.

40. Red Snapper says:

I see nothing wrong with them expressing their choice in candidate. It was a well done ad. I personally would like to see Bernie get the nom but would not be too upset with Hilary. One thing though, it sort of comes across as we’re women so we are voting for Hilary not we’re women and we’re voting for Hilary.

41. Me says:

Too bad H works for Monsanto

42. Sarah says:

Everyone has a right to their opinion and to vote how they see fit but I don’t really like this type of campaign advertisement. A candidate’s ads should be about policy and how they offer a better plan than their opponent for the country. This is just showing off stars and saying she’s strong which is fine but vague. Plus the fact that they are all from Shonda shows makes it seem like a weird Shonda show advertisement. The whole ad honestly felt tacky and forced (Vote for her, she’s just like our character’s…nevermind that those characters would probably make terrible overly dramatic presidents.)

43. Anne Brannon says:

Thank you so very much for endorsing Hillary! It means so much!

44. M Monroe says:

I am so glad to see these stars come out in support of Hillary! She is the most qualified candidate and to see this support is wonderful. And to all the Sanders’ supporters I would fully support Sanders if I really believed he could give me the unicorn that he promises