How to get away with murder recap

How to Get Away With Murder Recap: One, Two, Three... Drink

Make it a double for How to Get Away With Murder‘s Annalise Keating.

The protagonist of the third and most twisted hour of ABC’s #TGIT programming bloc was chug-a-lugging a bottle of The Clear and Present Danger* this week like a five-year-old getting the rare cup of soda at a bowling-alley birthday party. (*C’mon, that’s a hot nickname for a glass of Absolut/Grey Goose/Ketel One/Your Personal Russian Poison).

But by the end of the hour, we understood why Annalise wants to be comfortably numb at the end of a grueling workday. In heatbreaking flashback, we learned that Annalise’s baby died after her car was sideswiped at the exact moment she made a pivotal phone call to tell the truth about the suicide of Wes’ mother Rose, and how that horrifying act tied in to her clients Wallace, Charles and Sylvia Mahoney. (Was that accident a coincidence? Ummm… about as much as Emily Sinclair’s “splat” was a totally innocent slip-trip-fall, methinks!)

While you continue to dab your eyes with Puffs — I find their box designs a little kickier than Kleenex these days — let me recap the action from “There’s My Baby”:

CONFESSIONS, PART 1 | After last week’s Philip-attacking-Annalise cliffhanger — from which Annalise escaped relatively unscathed — the hour builds toward Annalise finally sharing with Wes the events of 10 years ago, when his name was Christophe and he came home to find his mother bleeding out on their apartment floor. Annalise shares the tale of Rose’s suicide — “I let ambition get the best of me, and you lost your mother as a result,” she says — but he knows there’s more to the story, and presses his mentor for the whole truth. Finally, she caves: Wes’ father, she explains, is Wallace Mahoney, and it turns out he’s alive and thriving in New York City. Now who’s up for a season-finale road trip?

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BABY | In the most devastating of HTGAWM‘s “10 years earlier” flashbacks, we finally learn the truth about what happened to Annalise’s baby. Reeling from seeing Rose commit suicide in front of her, Annalise confronts Wallace Mahoney about why the cleaning woman for his office was terrified enough of his wrath to stab herself in the throat. And then she has an epiphany: “You raped her,” she says, accusingly, and Wallace doesn’t deny it. “I saw it in her eyes. You violated her.” But before she can report her theory to the cops, the aforementioned car crash sends her to the E.R., and despite a last-minute C-section, the doctors can’t save her child. As Annalise confesses to Wes that his mom’s death is all her fault, we see her remembering her own tragic backstory, and it’s clear she blames herself for that, too. In flashback, Sam does everything right — absolving Annalise of her guilt and even agreeing to let a nurse take a photo of he and Annalise with their deceased infant. It’s an unflinchingly realistic portrait of the worst kind of grief — and a showcase for the power of Viola Davis and Tom Verica’s talents.

DRUNK IN LOVE LUST | THE DA interviews the Keating Five — with Bonnie as their attorney — about their Shooting Night whereabouts and Philip’s videotape, but the best he gets is Connor’s dismissive, “Good luck screwing me, because you’re not really my type.” Caleb, meanwhile, has gone missing — is he dead, in cahoots with Philip or maybe the most dangerous Hapstall of all? After Annalise kicks them out of her house, the Keating Five hit the club and down their shots, leading Oliver to confess he’s quit his job. That’s barely a blip on the screen though, once an intoxicated, edge-of-a-breakdown Michaela hooks up with Asher in the ladies’ room. Are we shipping Aschaela and double dates with Connor-Oliver, or is this best as a one-off? Michaela did need to let off some steam, so I’m not judging…

EVERYTHING BUT THE SPINNING CHEERLEADER | Bonnie’s eye daggers tell Frank she knows (somehow) that he killed Lila Stangard. “Keep your mouth shut and we’ve got no problems,” he tells her, and it feels like a threat. We also learn in flashback — straight from Annalise’s mouth — that Sam rescued Frank from “a white-trash future.” Bonnie puts two and two together and realizes Frank killed the pregnant coed on Sam’s behalf, not Annalise’s. “She can’t know,” he says to Bonnie, pleadingly. And so it’s not a surprise that at that exact moment, who makes an unwelcome house call to Annalise but a drunk-as-hell Laurel — who knows about Frank’s felonious act, but still thinks he did it at Annalise’s bidding. When Laurel drops the bombshell, you can see 27 different emotions run across Annalise’s face — and in the next shot, she’s packed her bags, walked out the door, and knocked on the door of her mother’s house. Ummm… Cicely Tyson in the Season 2 finale? Yes, please!

OK, your turn. What did you think of this week’s HTGAWM? Will you ever recover from that hospital scene? And what kind of punishment will Annalise dole out to Frank for his misdeeds? Sound off below!

1. Hannah says:

Well, that Wallace raped AL was pretty obvious. I was hoping there would be a twist but alas, it just was obvious. But hopefully there’s more. Maybe Wes will kill him or his brother in the finale. I wonder if we will find out what happened to that case?

VD absolutely killed it. So, so good.

2. I’m about sick of the Keating 5! They blame everyone but themselves, if I was Annalise, I would turn them ALL in and be done with them! I also figured that the Mulroney Dude was Wes’s father, I think they’re setting up the premise for season 3, hopefully somebody else is doing the murdering! I also nominate Oliver to be promoted to Season regular I love me some Caliver!

• Annie says:

They are *super* ungrateful to her and it ticks me right off. She’s not the reason for their problems, she’s helped keep them out of jail. She’s sacrificed her entire life for them.
      Sure, you could argue that it’s all Wes’ fault and Annalise’s actions 10 years ago set him on this path….but that feels like a stretch. He’s a grown man, capable of making his own decisions and being responsible for them.

• percysowner says:

Four of the Keating five blame everyone but themselves. Asher actually admits he did wrong and he apologized for wrecking people’s lives with his actions.

• Ju says:

Then there would be no show

3. Jules says:

That scene in the hospital when they had her her dead baby boy just about did me in. Flooded with tears! Viola is just the best actress on TV right now period. It was heart wrenching. Kinda didn’t see the Michasher thing happening but I’m not mad. Laurel and Wes need to be next. They’re a sexy couple or they could be. Only one more week!!!!!! Whhhyyyy??!!! What are we gonna do?????

• Leo says:

I know…. Viola Davis…just wow…. and let’s give some credit to Tom Verica as well. They both knock it out of the park and into the space.

• Sophie says:

Sameee, that scene hit me right in the feels, full on crying! Viola deserves an Emmy for her acting. Absolutely brilliant! Excited for the finale and the scenes with ViolaDavis and Cicely Tyson. Ma is back!!!

4. Ian says:

Michaela and Asher? How lame. And of course everyone’s faling in love with Laurel. HTGAWM is coming off the DVR.

5. Literati says:

Theory: Wallace Mahoney dies next week (according to the promo, there’ll be two dead bodies though knowing this show that could literally mean anything) but I don’t think Wes straight up murders him (too obvious because reasons). If he does end up murdered, I could see something twisted like Laurel and Wes planning a way to off him only to have Annalise call up Frank to do it (to keep his secret of him killing Lila quiet?) as a way to make amends for feeling responsible for Rose’s suicide.
    I honestly can’t really imagine there’ll be more than one murder or more than one ‘big’ death (if that – two people could just end up dead?) Maybe one of them being the prosecutor who’s been poking around for info on Mansion Night. I think I read a conjecture Annalise’s mom could die of natural causes, which would be really sad but actually a maybe welcome reprieve to all of the untimely deaths.

• Literati says:

Theory #2: Philip ends up dead, ultimately at the hands of Caleb. Would be kind of an interesting turn around of events, because everyone’s assuming Caleb’s going to die at the hands of Philip.

• Night Owl says:

I am honestly not entirely convinced that Philip’s “attack” on Annalise was really meant as an attack. I think he was trying to stop her, yes. Pin her down, yes. I just have a feeling he wanted to tell her something, and he thought she’d freak out, which of course she would. Somehow, I think he broke into Wes’ apartment thinking he’d find something that would implicate perhaps Caleb. I also tend to think that at least one of the bodies from next week, is going to be the one that the Keating 5 pin Annalise’s shooting on, to the prosecutor. I think they’ll use the person’s death to explain the video that he has from the shooting night. Just my thoughts on it right now. For some reason, I think the second body is going to be Annalise (BI).

• Literati says:

But if Annalise (or even one of the other main characters) dies, literally nothing that happens in the show will feel shocking anymore. Philip not being evil and still being murdered because someone THOUGHT he was evil would actually be an interesting twist. It’s interesting, because nobody’s expressly said that someone actually gets murdered. Pete Nowalk said there would be a dead body at the end, and the promo (which I think is not done in consultation with the writers) said there’d be two. I.e. we should probably take the “two bodies” thing with a grain of salt. On this show it seems like it’s less about WHO dies (which isn’t always that shocking) but rather HOW they die.

• Rudolf says:

Theory #3:
      – Wes confronts his dad, but not telling him who he is (hook for next season)
      – One of the dead bodies is Rebecca’s (finally). And turning out to Wes discovering the truth. And maybe her brother coming out of jail or something.
      – Analise runs away to New York at the end of the hour to live with Eve (but of course, something will bring her back next season, maybe she meets with Wes’ father around NY)
      – The other dead body could be Philip. Aaaaaaaaaand the killer would be Caleb (who would turn out to be the killer of his parents also. The guy is too whiny and one-layered to be this relevant on this show until now without any BIG revelation)
      – The major death of the night could be Oliver (PLEASE DON’T), Connor or Bonnie IMHO
      – Asher is declared a suspect in ADA’s death and sent to prison – (unwillingly) by Nate
      – THE BIGGEST OMFG MOMENT (and the less likely to be true) : The car driver who hit Annalise was Frank in anger after their fight (maybe hired by Wes’ trashy father to kill her before she could say anything to the cops). Sam then knows the truth from him, and forgives him – but he would owe him a favor. Soooo, he killed Lyla because he had a death debt with Sam.

Nothing on Michaela because I hate her char. She’s annoying.

6. B says:

I’m not sure I can keep watching this show. Bonnie said it: they’re all bad people. I’m sick of the “kids.” And how Annalise hasn’t had a coronary or a stroke from the constant, insane stress of her life is beyond me. *I* want to drink after watching all that she goes through and has been through — not that she’s faultless, by far. I basically only watch for Viola Davis’ performance now, which continues to astound me. However, I’m not sure that a single performance, as brilliant as it is, is enough any more. The finale will probably make me want to tune in again — they are good at cliffhangers — but I don’t know.

• Night Owl says:

I had responded to this, but for some reason, the comment disappeared. I assume that I somehow tripped the censors although I have no idea how I did so. I don’t want to try to rewrite the whole thing, so I’ll have to suffice it to say that the show is not what I originally expected it to be about. Michael, I’d love to know why my comment went into oblivion. :(

• Marci says:

I’m with you, B. Viola Davis is the only reason I’m still watching this mess. I don’t know how they can sustain this madness into a 3rd season. At least we have more Cicely Tyson to look forward to.

7. Matt C. says:

This episode was crazy good. I was in tears at the scene with the baby. Another Emmy for Viola Davis, coming right up! Also, the last 10 minutes or so was just nonstop wild. I can’t even imagine how insane the finale will be next week.

8. pblo78 says:

I dont think Phillip is the bad guy. It seems that when he and Ann were in Wes house, he wanted her to listen to him. Caleb is the big bad and Philipp wanted to help his sister???
    Oliver and Laurel are the only ones in the whole bunch of Keating 6 that i like.
    So fun, when Mr. Danver speak spanish… should he not called Martinez, Lopez… not such a british name?

• Lea says:

Why, can’t British people speak Spanish? Or come from mixed heritage?

(I agree about Caleb)

• Angela says:

Awesome episode, emotional rollercoaster: anxious to find out what happened to the baby, guessing Wes father-EASY- I think that they all will come together as they move towards helping Wes get revenge for his mothers death next season. I was in tears with the baby scene and I agree with you that Philipp did not do all they’re accusing him of. Its too obvious. I think its Caleb too, I’m hoping they will bring closure to that storyline so we can start new season fresh.

• ummm says:

Lolz are people with typical Latino last names the only ones who are allowed to speak Spanish? My last name is Gordon, and my entire immediate family is fluent in Spanish…

• Night Owl says:

I agree with you. I made a similar comment regarding Philip. It seemed like he was trying to talk to Annalise and stop her from fighting so he could do so.

9. Annie says:

My favourite part was Frank saying no one was going to tell Oliver anything, not to destroy their “precious O”. It was adorable. They all love Oliver as much as we do.

10. bluji says:

Well… that happened. Overall, what an interesting hour, with so many massive reveals and twists. I can’t wait for the season finale!

11. Leo says:

I wish Sam was still alive so we’ll get Tom Verica every week.
    And I’m a bit worried that Asher might bit it in the finale after he asked for apology.
    Please Asher, don’t die before you had a threesome with #Coliver.
    Oh, and actually I’m kinda relieved that they went with the ‘Wes’ mother got raped and Wes is a Mahoney’ because my head couldn’t handle another twist.
    I think in the finale, it will be revealed that Caleb is actually the bad guy because Michaela has the worst luck in the world. (Lol those guys making weird faces to Michaela dancing alone. Ha-ha!)

• Anna says:

Not gonna lie – I wouldn’t mind a Connor/Oliver/Asher threesome. Although I would enjoy Coliver getting it on with some other hottie more. They just need to have a sex scene – it’s been too long!

12. Mason says:

Did anyone catch that Frank called Viola by her name around 4 mins in the show? Hilarious!!!😂

13. Sally McLinn says:

How come Shades of Blue is never recapped here? It’s a pretty good show. Is there a ban against NBC?

• Fannie says:

The site also do the same with Hawaii Five O. They dont recap it either. I dont know why

• Anna says:

They don’t do recaps of a lot of really good shows. Most likely depends on whether someone on staff actually wants to do it and if they think it’s worth it.

14. John says:

Sam was such a nice and supportive husband “ten years ago.” What the heck happened to make him such a psychopath?

15. RD says:

I predict-AK is one of those dead bodies next week.

16. Jason says:

Were Sam and Frank sleeping together? He was afraid Annalise would lose if she found out he killed that girl. They have all killed someone at this point.

17. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Holy sh*t this was a good episode last night. Annalise blaming herself for losing her baby and Wes’ mom was sad. Wes is DEFFINATLY going after Wallace aka DAD for sure and possibly die also Philip that bastard. Ooooooh Asher & Michaela that was a good drunken twist LOL!!!

18. Max says:

Viola Davis makes the show. The rest of it keeps getting more & more farfetched and hard to follow (like scandal whisk I’m about to dump from my dvr)… Connors line to. That prosecutor was classic

19. M says:

Sideswiped?? Unless we’re considering Urban Dictionary as the go to place for real definitions, I do not think it means what you think it means

20. NC Butler says:

This has gotten way too complicated for me. This show has been filled with flashbacks since day one..All the shouting among the students is exhausting. I have given up..

21. Renee says:

I read that someone was going to killed off as well. But I don’t think it will be Annalise (Viola Davis) She is the show and with ANOTHER Emmy winning performance no less!